Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 bay slatted shed costs 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

passing comment ...when i got my shed built with 40% grant..the grant basically paid for the tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Grueller

There is another issue as well. You have to have the income to write it off as well at the high rate. if that difference is ay the 20c tax rate it reduces the tax write down to 28ish%

Absolutely. I am on high rate so the figures above pertain to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Lads, just on this.

I have a sliding door that specified as almost 5.5m wide on the plans.
    This door is to the side of the creep area.

I am wondering should I reduce it in width to make the structure more robust? My fear is that if a cow put alot of pressure on it that she would dent it fairly easily id imagine. I still need access for the tractor though this door but could easily reduce width down to 3m or so.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

With ours I hung a gate on the inside of the sliding door.
    Then if it's a close time you can open the sliding door for extra air intake.
    I presume nobody leaves the cattle next the sliding door without some barrier in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I agree 100% regards grant spec. If you build a shed for 100K and you get a grant of 40%. You can still only write off the 60k over seven years. The 40 k is not a tax expense to my knowledge that’s the point I am trying to make. Where as if you spend 100k ex vat on a shed no grant you write the 100 k off over seven years. So from a cash back point of view both sheds are the same. This is just my understanding and I stand to be corrected

You might need a better accountant. You write the extra 40k off against your profits, not directly against your tax.

Let's use round numbers in an example. You would otherwise have made 50k profit that year. And say you pay tax at 20% flat. Then you pay 10k tax. You keep 40k.

Other scenario is that you built a shed for 42k. You write off 6k a year of that for 7 tears (again, I'm rounding). That means your profit is reduced to 44k. Your tax is reduced to 8.8k. So you saved 1.2k.

Look at it this way:

Suppose you spend 60k on a shed and write it off against tax over 7 years
    And suppose I spend 100k on a shed, get 40k back in grants and write the 60k off against tax

But I'll have a better shed than you. For about the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

Any one know how many meters of concrete would a 3 bay tank take 14 foot x 8 foot deep
    Also how much concrete for all walls and creep and feed passage 8 foot walls, 14 foot creep 3 meter feed passage it's a 3 bay open shed, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

You might need a better accountant. You write the extra 40k off against your profits, not directly against your tax.

Let's use round numbers in an example. You would otherwise have made 50k profit that year. And say you pay tax at 20% flat. Then you pay 10k tax. You keep 40k.

Other scenario is that you built a shed for 42k. You write off 6k a year of that for 7 tears (again, I'm rounding). That means your profit is reduced to 44k. Your tax is reduced to 8.8k. So you saved 1.2k.

Look at it this way:

And suppose I spend 100k on a shed, get 40k back in grants and write the 60k off against tax

Another way would be to spend 100k on a shed. Get back 40k in grants. Shed is still worth 100k for Capital allowance purposes. So you can depreciate it over 25 years at 4%/year. That's 4k per year against profits
    Works best for someone on the higher tax rate which most people are nowdays so thats 1600 saved in Tax
    Over 25 years it works out at 40k in Tax savings
    I know its a long time span but the lifetime of these sheds is far greater than 25 years. I have sheds on the farm over 40years old and still as good as the first day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Look at it this way:

Another way would be to spend 100k on a shed. Get back 40k in grants. Shed is still worth 100k for Capital allowance purposes. So you can depreciate it over 25 years at 4%/year. That's 4k per year against profits
    Works best for someone on the higher tax rate which most people are nowdays so thats 1600 saved in Tax
    Over 25 years it works out at 40k in Tax savings
    I know its a long time span but the lifetime of these sheds is far greater than 25 years. I have sheds on the farm over 40years old and still as good as the first day

I think you are incorrect. In the case of no grant you deprecate the full value of she'd. If you draw the grant it is deprecated minus the grant. Generally a shed is deprecated over 8 years IIRC. However if you have no tax to pay you can defer them to future years. Some lads do it to just use high tax rate for deprecation. You also subtract the vatvat would be a mixture of 23 and 13.5%rates

Example shed costs 80k no grant
    Vat approx=11.5k leaving 68.5
    At high rate tax 35.6 net cost of shed=33k
    At low rate tax =19.5k approx net cost of shed=49k

Example shed costs 100kk
    Vat approx=13.8kk leaving 86.2
    Minus grant leaves 51.7
    At high rate tax 26.9 net cost of shed=24.8k
    At low rate tax =14.5k approx net cost of shed=37.2k

Slava Ukrainii

I am correct for the term of 25 years.
    If you use the accelerated Capital allowances such as the initial allowance then you must take into account the grant. For the slatted unit of 50% with the remainder written off at 33.33% over the following 3 years. The initial 50% s a floating allowance which can be used in any of the 1st four years.
    The other way as most farmers use is up to 15% PA but they usually go with 12.5% as it works for 8 years even.
    My way is cheaper long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Probably a silly question
    If you buy feed barriers / Shed / Concrete in Northern Ireland
    Can you claim back the Vat?

Probably a silly question
    If you buy feed barriers / Shed / Concrete in Northern Ireland
    Can you claim back the Vat?

Yes most will have an Irish cat no if they export a lot of product. Slats for my shed came from Creagh Conc 10 years ago

Slava Ukrainii

just wondering power washing the slatted shed shed this year took ages. i was thinking of making up some sort of sprinkler system (basically the walls always get about 1/2 encrusted hard dried in manure, pen gates too)
    i was thinking of having some hose along the top of the walls so i could turn on once a week to let water run down concrete walls and keep them a bit clearer. anyone try something like that before?..
    .i seen sprinkler parts and cheap hoses in woodies and aldi the other week

I think you will be wasting your time. To keep clean you will need a volume of water but this will fill your slatted tank. Maybe consider hiring a hit washer to clean tank wicket smell but much better to clean

Another job with stores or weanlings that is not an issue.

Slava Ukrainii

MikeSoys wrote: »
    just wondering power washing the slatted shed shed this year took ages. i was thinking of making up some sort of sprinkler system (basically the walls always get about 1/2 encrusted hard dried in manure, pen gates too)
    i was thinking of having some hose along the top of the walls so i could turn on once a week to let water run down concrete walls and keep them a bit clearer. anyone try something like that before?..

I don't see why you'd need to have a slatted house so clean, most lads I know just scrape out the corners or any heavy dung. Others don't bother at all.

A better solution than the sprinklers would be to paint the walls with Baufix (lidl) plastic paint.

3d4c1b2a64d3013c7e344391001e5c6139bd24c6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭leoch

Wat do lads do when they power wash the shed do they spray it with something for pests or spread lime over it when it dries oit

• Advertisement

I don't see why you'd need to have a slatted house so clean, most lads I know just scrape out the corners or any heavy dung. Others don't bother at all.

A better solution than the sprinklers would be to paint the walls with Baufix (lidl) plastic paint.

3d4c1b2a64d3013c7e344391001e5c6139bd24c6.jpg
    it was a very expensive shed .. ill look at the plastic paint

leoch wrote: »
    Wat do lads do when they power wash the shed do they spray it with something for pests or spread lime over it when it dries oit
    i think dairy people do that.. spread the lime..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Usually use a good quality disinfectant with a knapsack and leave dry in and let sun do the rest.

Usually use a good quality disinfectant with a knapsack and leave dry in and let sun do the rest.

will a disinfectant have a negative effect on the slurry in the tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

will a disinfectant have a negative effect on the slurry in the tank?

None. It's job will be in killing the most of what's left on the clean walls and floors. 1 liter in 20 or 30 thousand liters won't have much of an effect and most of that liter will remain on the walls anyway?

Disinfection and sunshine, the two best things to reduce disease problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Paddydans

Well, shed is standing, in the process of ordering up barriers at the moment. Putting in concrete stub walls under the barriers. What are fellas views on the height the top of the stub walls should be from the top of the slats?? They vary a good bit from the sheds I've looked at. Also raising the feed passage 4 to 6 inches over slat level. What are lads thoughts on it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Paddydans wrote: »
    Well, shed is standing, in the process of ordering up barriers at the moment. Putting in concrete stub walls under the barriers. What are fellas views on the height the top of the stub walls should be from the top of the slats?? They vary a good bit from the sheds I've looked at. Also raising the feed passage 4 to 6 inches over slat level. What are lads thoughts on it??

I’d imagine 300mm would be enough with the 3 or 4” of the barrier above that again. If it suits having the feed higher would be a good job.
    Any pics? Who supplied the shed? I’m a bit behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

I sloped 18” from the tank to the stub wall at 1.5” rise. I then used a 4” screed for the feed passage and rather than put in stub walls I used a 9 by 3 then put my feed gates on top. Everything works well and I have the option of lifting the 9 by 3 if I’m stuck to use the shed for storage when it’s not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

mayota wrote: »
    I’d imagine 300mm would be enough with the 3 or 4” of the barrier above that again. If it suits having the feed higher would be a good job.
    Any pics? Who supplied the shed? I’m a bit behind you.

Hi mayors, is yours a 3 bay open or closed, is it a tams shed , I'm starting mine next week, I have almost everything priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

kerb wrote: »
    Hi mayors, is yours a 3 bay open or closed, is it a tams shed , I'm starting mine next week, I have almost everything priced

3 bay open shed. No grant.

Anybody use high bay led lights??

Want to get extra ventilation into shed
    Have been told to take external wall down to head height. Is that 5 or 6ft high?
    Would vented sheets be better than timber laths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Have been told to take external wall down to head height. Is that 5 or 6ft high?

Both are extremely draughty. Is raising the roof an option?

Timber boards are supposed to be healthier, going by two local vets. Or take off the sheeting you all ready have, put the wall plate timbers on the outside of poles, this will leave you with a 6 inch gap that should give better air flow

Both are extremely draughty. Is raising the roof an option?

Sadly not

• Advertisement

Looking s little advice
    Thinking of putting a tank into a dry shed
    Which would mean there would be 2ft from barrier to slat.
    Is this anything to be concerned about?

Also how long after pouring walls can you backfill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Looking s little advice

Not really as the stocks backend will be on the tank. We back filled a tank last year after 2 weeks, was a bit early but it was okay

You could do a single sided shutter.
    It will use a lot more concrete but you'll get closer to the pillars.
    Were putting a 22ft wide tank here in between the pillars of a shed and a row of cubicles

Not really as the stocks backend will be on the tank. We back filled a tank last year after 2 weeks, was a bit early but it was okay

Were putting a 22ft wide tank here in between the pillars of a shed and a row of cubicles
    Thanks
    The single side shutter sounds a very good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Thanks
    The single side shutter sounds a very good idea
    It will take a fair bit of extra concrete depending on how clean you can dig the sides and  you will need the shutters well braced cos they will be under more pressure than a double tied together if you know what I mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Bullocks wrote: »
    It will take a fair bit of extra concrete depending on how clean you can dig the sides and  you will need the shutters well braced cos they will be under more pressure than a double tied together if you know what I mean

Yeah it's not ideal but it's the option we're going with here as back filling would be an issue. Slats could be on after 2 weeks and could start using it in no length

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »

Yeah it's not ideal but it's the option we're going with here as back filling would be an issue. Slats could be on after 2 weeks and could start using it in no length
    I gave a mate of mine a hand with one a few week ago and it turned into a disaster. He was going to back fill after the sides started falling in and forget about it but he bulled on again. That heavy rain that came washed one side and under a block wall so that the back wall (5ft high block on flat) and the girders were undermined by about 2ft. Not a safe place to be. He has the floor and the walls shuttered to 4ft high now and going with another 4ft shutter on top of that again in a week or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Looking s little advice

Is it that much more expensive to build a new shed,
    In a couple of years you'll probably need a new shed for something and be sorry you tried to convert the other shed.
    I saw a shed slip in so just asking

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

Is it worth risking your life over the price of shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

Anyone know What’s the minimum width for a single side feed passage to operate a diet feeder. Would 11foot be wide enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Someyolk wrote: »
    Anyone know What’s the minimum width for a single side feed passage to operate a diet feeder. Would 11foot be wide enough?

It would do but I'd go wider if you could. If you had a bale out at one point you'd end up driving over it or dragging it along with you. 14ft would be the minimum I'd go for a single side tbh. Give some bit of space for yourself.

Someyolk wrote: »

Are you building or are you looking to get a diet feeder into such a shed if you are building any passageway should be at least 15'. As well you should be able to drive through any feed passage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

It’s a back wall of an old slatted shed. With another wall 11 1/2 foot away. I was thinking of knocking the shed wall to allow me to feed both ends of the shed. I may also rent it to a neighbour dairy farmer at some stage who feeds with a tub feeder. Would the 11’ be enough for a a feeder to run down?

Has anyone used or seen precast slabs used in walls of slatted sheds?
    Are they a good job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Has anyone used or seen precast slabs used in walls of slatted sheds?
    Are they a good job?

Yeah have them in slatted sheds. A great job. Worked out cheaper than a poured wall at the time and no mess.

Anyone know roughly what I should expect to pay for a 4 bay lean to type shed 35’ wide plus an 8’ overhang. Rang several shed men but none of them seem too interested in giving me a price until I’m ready for it.

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Yeah have them in slatted sheds. A great job. Worked out cheaper than a poured wall at the time and no mess.

I’m getting a similar price for both
    Had you to do much welding?

I’m getting a similar price for both
    Had you to do much welding?

Welded a 3inch strip down each beam where the wall is clamped.

Welded a 3inch strip down each beam where the wall is clamped.

Locally company only does 1.2m wide beams
    Would 2.4m walls be too high?
    Gable will be 12ft?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Anyone know roughly what I should expect to pay for a 4 bay lean to type shed 35’ wide plus an 8’ overhang. Rang several shed men but none of them seem too interested in giving me a price until I’m ready for it.

Would be interested in this too? Tams price and without grant price

Locally company only does 1.2m wide beams
    Would 2.4m walls be too high?
    Gable will be 12ft?

2.4m would look like a bit of an over kill in a slatted shed alright. They would probably cut them for you. Think ours are 5-6 foot high x 15’9ish and made in the one piece.
    What part of the country are you in? I’m sure there are plenty who would make a 5 or 6’ high panel for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement