Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 bay slatted shed costs 2017/18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Probably a silly question
    If you buy feed barriers / Shed / Concrete in Northern Ireland
    Can you claim back the Vat?

Yes most will have an Irish cat no if they export a lot of product. Slats for my shed came from Creagh Conc 10 years ago

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

just wondering power washing the slatted shed shed this year took ages. i was thinking of making up some sort of sprinkler system (basically the walls always get about 1/2 encrusted hard dried in manure, pen gates too)
    i was thinking of having some hose along the top of the walls so i could turn on once a week to let water run down concrete walls and keep them a bit clearer. anyone try something like that before?..
    .i seen sprinkler parts and cheap hoses in woodies and aldi the other week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think you will be wasting your time. To keep clean you will need a volume of water but this will fill your slatted tank. Maybe consider hiring a hit washer to clean tank wicket smell but much better to clean

Another job with stores or weanlings that is not an issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

MikeSoys wrote: »
    just wondering power washing the slatted shed shed this year took ages. i was thinking of making up some sort of sprinkler system (basically the walls always get about 1/2 encrusted hard dried in manure, pen gates too)
    i was thinking of having some hose along the top of the walls so i could turn on once a week to let water run down concrete walls and keep them a bit clearer. anyone try something like that before?..

I don't see why you'd need to have a slatted house so clean, most lads I know just scrape out the corners or any heavy dung. Others don't bother at all.

A better solution than the sprinklers would be to paint the walls with Baufix (lidl) plastic paint.

3d4c1b2a64d3013c7e344391001e5c6139bd24c6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭leoch

Wat do lads do when they power wash the shed do they spray it with something for pests or spread lime over it when it dries oit

• Advertisement

I don't see why you'd need to have a slatted house so clean, most lads I know just scrape out the corners or any heavy dung. Others don't bother at all.

A better solution than the sprinklers would be to paint the walls with Baufix (lidl) plastic paint.

3d4c1b2a64d3013c7e344391001e5c6139bd24c6.jpg
    it was a very expensive shed .. ill look at the plastic paint

leoch wrote: »
    Wat do lads do when they power wash the shed do they spray it with something for pests or spread lime over it when it dries oit
    i think dairy people do that.. spread the lime..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Usually use a good quality disinfectant with a knapsack and leave dry in and let sun do the rest.

Usually use a good quality disinfectant with a knapsack and leave dry in and let sun do the rest.

will a disinfectant have a negative effect on the slurry in the tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

will a disinfectant have a negative effect on the slurry in the tank?

None. It's job will be in killing the most of what's left on the clean walls and floors. 1 liter in 20 or 30 thousand liters won't have much of an effect and most of that liter will remain on the walls anyway?

Disinfection and sunshine, the two best things to reduce disease problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Paddydans

Well, shed is standing, in the process of ordering up barriers at the moment. Putting in concrete stub walls under the barriers. What are fellas views on the height the top of the stub walls should be from the top of the slats?? They vary a good bit from the sheds I've looked at. Also raising the feed passage 4 to 6 inches over slat level. What are lads thoughts on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Paddydans wrote: »
    Well, shed is standing, in the process of ordering up barriers at the moment. Putting in concrete stub walls under the barriers. What are fellas views on the height the top of the stub walls should be from the top of the slats?? They vary a good bit from the sheds I've looked at. Also raising the feed passage 4 to 6 inches over slat level. What are lads thoughts on it??

I’d imagine 300mm would be enough with the 3 or 4” of the barrier above that again. If it suits having the feed higher would be a good job.
    Any pics? Who supplied the shed? I’m a bit behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

I sloped 18” from the tank to the stub wall at 1.5” rise. I then used a 4” screed for the feed passage and rather than put in stub walls I used a 9 by 3 then put my feed gates on top. Everything works well and I have the option of lifting the 9 by 3 if I’m stuck to use the shed for storage when it’s not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

mayota wrote: »
    I’d imagine 300mm would be enough with the 3 or 4” of the barrier above that again. If it suits having the feed higher would be a good job.
    Any pics? Who supplied the shed? I’m a bit behind you.

Hi mayors, is yours a 3 bay open or closed, is it a tams shed , I'm starting mine next week, I have almost everything priced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

kerb wrote: »
    Hi mayors, is yours a 3 bay open or closed, is it a tams shed , I'm starting mine next week, I have almost everything priced

3 bay open shed. No grant.

Anybody use high bay led lights??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Want to get extra ventilation into shed
    Have been told to take external wall down to head height. Is that 5 or 6ft high?
    Would vented sheets be better than timber laths?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Have been told to take external wall down to head height. Is that 5 or 6ft high?

Both are extremely draughty. Is raising the roof an option?

Timber boards are supposed to be healthier, going by two local vets. Or take off the sheeting you all ready have, put the wall plate timbers on the outside of poles, this will leave you with a 6 inch gap that should give better air flow

Both are extremely draughty. Is raising the roof an option?

Sadly not

• Advertisement

Looking s little advice
    Thinking of putting a tank into a dry shed
    Which would mean there would be 2ft from barrier to slat.
    Is this anything to be concerned about?

Also how long after pouring walls can you backfill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Looking s little advice

Not really as the stocks backend will be on the tank. We back filled a tank last year after 2 weeks, was a bit early but it was okay

You could do a single sided shutter.
    It will use a lot more concrete but you'll get closer to the pillars.
    Were putting a 22ft wide tank here in between the pillars of a shed and a row of cubicles

Not really as the stocks backend will be on the tank. We back filled a tank last year after 2 weeks, was a bit early but it was okay

Were putting a 22ft wide tank here in between the pillars of a shed and a row of cubicles
    Thanks
    The single side shutter sounds a very good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Thanks
    The single side shutter sounds a very good idea
    It will take a fair bit of extra concrete depending on how clean you can dig the sides and  you will need the shutters well braced cos they will be under more pressure than a double tied together if you know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Bullocks wrote: »
    It will take a fair bit of extra concrete depending on how clean you can dig the sides and  you will need the shutters well braced cos they will be under more pressure than a double tied together if you know what I mean

Yeah it's not ideal but it's the option we're going with here as back filling would be an issue. Slats could be on after 2 weeks and could start using it in no length

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »

Yeah it's not ideal but it's the option we're going with here as back filling would be an issue. Slats could be on after 2 weeks and could start using it in no length
    I gave a mate of mine a hand with one a few week ago and it turned into a disaster. He was going to back fill after the sides started falling in and forget about it but he bulled on again. That heavy rain that came washed one side and under a block wall so that the back wall (5ft high block on flat) and the girders were undermined by about 2ft. Not a safe place to be. He has the floor and the walls shuttered to 4ft high now and going with another 4ft shutter on top of that again in a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Looking s little advice

Is it that much more expensive to build a new shed,
    In a couple of years you'll probably need a new shed for something and be sorry you tried to convert the other shed.
    I saw a shed slip in so just asking

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Is it worth risking your life over the price of shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

Anyone know What’s the minimum width for a single side feed passage to operate a diet feeder. Would 11foot be wide enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Someyolk wrote: »
    Anyone know What’s the minimum width for a single side feed passage to operate a diet feeder. Would 11foot be wide enough?

It would do but I'd go wider if you could. If you had a bale out at one point you'd end up driving over it or dragging it along with you. 14ft would be the minimum I'd go for a single side tbh. Give some bit of space for yourself.

Advertisement