Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi woman trapped in Bangkok airport

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

james678 wrote: »
    So you agree with their culture? Okay.

Maybe the western world should introduce stoning for adultry?
    Eh, J....

817.gif

Was suggesting not being baited by trolls.

And no, of course I don't agree with their culture. I'm no cultural equivalence right on type that's for sure. I would consider places like that to be crapping on the street backward crapholes but for the shiny veneer oil money brings. QV Dubai and the rest. It's all surface civilisation. People moan about how Christianity buggered Ireland/Europe(it really didn't), but forget that the Middle East, the very birthplace of civilisation going back six thousand years, has with an all too brief early flowering within Islam, really been buggered by their religion.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The main benefit of the oil crisis is that this shower will eventually be left bankrupt. Horrible culture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lackey wrote: »
    Europe let in every Tom DICK and Harry, it will be interesting to see if they let in someone in real life danger.

Or if they ae full of sh!t bowing to Saudi like I suspect.
    My prediction would be that they claim that she's "mentally ill" and her family are sooooo worried and just want her home. Nothing to see hear. And the majority of the international governments will do nada, beyond questions in the tabloid press.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

james678 wrote: »
    So you agree with their culture? Okay.

Maybe the western world should introduce stoning for adultry?

Woosh J :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

I suspect the Thai authorities have to look out for the thousands of thai guest workers in Saudi and their families that rely on their remittances. If they grant asylum to this lady many could be harmed in retaliation and lose their jobs. I suspect that is why the other saudi lady was returned from Manila. Desperately poor countries balancing the lives and livelihood of their expatriate citizens versus one Saudi woman
    In summary the Saudi'spotentially hold many thais hostage in Saudi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm surprised they didn't take her phone (it does give me a tiny bit of doubt tbh)

Regardless though, it's really sickening to see these countries using their money to legitimise their ****ty systems internationally, everywhere you look in sport at the moment they are involved, and not a word said about it

Wibbs wrote: »
    My prediction would be that they claim that she's "mentally ill" and her family are sooooo worried and just want her home. Nothing to see hear. And the majority of the international governments will do nada, beyond questions in the tabloid press.

They can't do that now though. She has highlighted the issue on Twitter and has directly tweeted politicians looking for asylum. This is new.

There is no way the Saudis are kidnapping her now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Dante7 wrote: »
    They can't do that now though. She has highlighted the issue on Twitter and has directly tweeted politicians looking for asylum. This is new.
    It won't make any difference. The oil money running out will make the difference. If the Saudi's then want to trade and/or work abroad they will be forced to change, or they will become yet another desperately poor failed state themselves and i suspect if 1 million Saudis start marching towards the wealthy European countires there will not be a Merkle like acceptance or welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

There is no way the Saudis are kidnapping her now.

Never say never.

Things happen every day that you might think are impossible or improbable.

If this is actually happening I wouldn't be surprised if the tweets stopped and she was never heard from again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Giveaway wrote: »
    I suspect the Thai authorities have to look out for the thousands of thai guest workers in Saudi and their families that rely on their remittances. If they grant asylum to this lady many could be harmed in retaliation and lose their jobs. I suspect that is why the other saudi lady was returned from Manila. Desperately poor countries balancing the lives and livelihood of their expatriate citizens versus one Saudi woman
    In summary the Saudi'spotentially hold many thais hostage in Saudi

I'm sure you are right
    https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/saudi-woman-travelling-to-australia-detained-in-bangkok-airport-fears-death-if-sent-home/news-story/e93579f08aa388374048be718168e5b5

She was just passing through Thailand with a visa to enter Australia, but was stopped by Saudi officials in Thailand because her male guardian reported her for travelling unaccompanied. :(

“She is 18 years old, she has an Australian visa, and she has the right to travel where she wishes and no government should interfere in that.
    Mr Robertson said someone in the Thai government “needs to explain why diplomats from Saudi Arabia are allowed to walk in closed areas of the Bangkok airport, seizing one of their citizen’s passports”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''I seek protection in particular from the following country Canada/United States/ Australia /United kingdom,''

Bit picky there. Does her no favours. I don't think she'd be in any danger now the whole world knows her face and story. She'll end up back home in Saudi.
    Her best bet is to marry a ThaiBoy now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

''I seek protection in particular from the following country Canada/United States/ Australia /United kingdom,''

Bit picky there. Does her no favours. I don't think she'd be in any danger now the whole world knows her face and story. She'll end up back home in Saudi.

Oh I don't know. Khassoghi worked for the New York Times and that didn't stop them or bother them.

I don't think she'd be in any danger now the whole world knows her face and story. She'll end up back home in Saudi

Mutually exclusive statements there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People in Suadi now threatening her with death will help her cause, it's black and white now, not just a story. Her cousins and other are saying her head it off on return.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

smurfjed wrote: »

Thailand should respect her rights as an adult and let her claim asylum rather than treat her as a bold child.

Asylum does not exist in Thailand; the best she could hope for is being warehoused indefinitely in a gulag-type of detention centre until some NGO takes up her case to get her to a third country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Saudi Arabia is the epitome of evil. It is an evil fundamentalist hellhole. The sooner it is impoverished or destroyed the better.

Look at what they are doing to Yemen. Children are dying in their thousands. All caused by the evil Saudis. The West’s love affair with such a wicked, vile, despotic regime is both nauseating and hypocritical in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Her Twitter is saying that she is being put on a flight to Kuwait at 4.15am :mad:

This should be the feminist outrage today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

This should be the feminist outrage today.

Feminist outrage ? What do you mean by that ?

Feminist outrage ? What do you mean by that ?

Women in the middle East being subjugated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

She has barricaded herself into the hotel room

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Canada is probably her best bet tbf. Trudeau is one of the very few leaders who seems to be happy to stand up to the Saudis. If they don't care to intervene, she's not got much hope tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

According to a journalist (retweeted by Rahaf too), she's still barricaded in her room and Thai lawyers have filed an emergency injunction against her deportation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

People were actually calling for bomb threats against the airline on her twitter yesterday, absolute scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JupiterKid wrote:
    Look at what they are doing to Yemen. Children are dying in their thousands. All caused by the evil Saudis. The West’s love affair with such a wicked, vile, despotic regime is both nauseating and hypocritical in the extreme.

Are all saudis causing this, if not, should all saudis be punished for the wrongs of only some?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Are all saudis causing this, if not, should all saudis be punished for the wrongs of only some?

I think he mentions regime in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I think he mentions regime in his post.

maybe the case, but the impression is that all Saudis should be punished for the wrongs of maybe the few

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Women like this should be supported and applauded. Send Micheal D's jet to pick her up and yes i'm serious.

I must confess the bogus asylum thing gets my goat and I have posted a lot of my opinions about it here.

But I'd never see us close the door on a genuine case, which this clearly is. I fully agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks like she is safe from deportation
    “If deporting her would result in her death, we definitely wouldn’t want to do that,” said Samut Prakan, head of Thailand’s Immigration Bureau.

Its also being reported that her dad is a senior Saudi government official and that her cousin threatened to kill her saying he wanted to see blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

following her twitter...I hope she gets to live the normal life she wants away from this bull**** religion.
    Don't confuse religion with culture.
    Will she be stoned to death if she goes back?
    Its a family issue, but they have the power to lock her in their home for ever without any legal authorities questioning their actions.
    I suspect the Thai authorities have to look out for the thousands of thai guest workers in Saudi and their families that rely on their remittances. If they grant asylum to this lady many could be harmed in retaliation and lose their jobs.
    Their relationship is crap anyway, very few Thais in Saudi since the relationship was destroyed following the theft of jewellery.
    Children are dying in their thousands. All caused by the evil Saudis
    Wars usually take two sides, why only blame one?

She wasn't put on the first flight, I hope that the worlds media attention helps her as she has no future in Saudi.

Advertisement