Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Yes. Fairly brisk at the polling station at 10am. East Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wouldn’t it be great if it was an 80% yes vote - is Boards a true representation of Ireland today? :)

Voted Yes! Polling Station was full of aul wans though, you could virtually see them counting their rosary beads.

Come on the Yes’s!! :nervous:

My local one was being invaded by auld folk. I then realized that mass was just over.
    Walking in,there was one old woman saying to a group that she knew "I hope ye voted No".
    Even with all the old voters, there was a lot of younger ones too. Many were people that I'd know to see and the type that normally wouldn't be seen near a polling booth if it was an election.
    Here's hoping this demographic are voting Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

eviltwin wrote: »
    they have voting cards and they voted. they are adults do it's their choice and I love choice

Getting a voting card does not mean they are automatically entitled to vote. They are adults who should ascertain for themselves whether they should be voting. By voting illegally they, and their ilk, could be putting the legality of the result in jeopardy.

Especially with people like you openly stating on the internet that members of your family, who do not fulfill the criteria to vote, went ahead and voted anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Voted Yes.

I am not sure how many young people will vote No, and they seem to be very active in this vote. Could make a very big difference.

I think it will be at least 60/40, a comfortable margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

My local one was being invaded by auld folk. I then realized that mass was just over.
    Walking in,there was one old woman saying to a group that she knew "I hope ye voted No".
    Even with all the old voters, there was a lot of younger ones too. Many were people that I'd know to see and the type that normally wouldn't be seen near a polling booth if it was an election.
    Here's hoping this demographic are voting Yes.

Regardless of how they are voting, people deciding what they want to vote in and when is exactly the reason we have the same old same old governing us.

If people want change, like they say they do, there is no point turning out today in huge numbers and not setting foot in a polling booth at the next general election and waiting until the next referendum that interests them to vote again.

The status quo know to look after the old fogy's as they know they are the only guaranteed voters - this is causing more problems than we think.

If we have another general election later this year (which is likely), people need to vote then as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I voted for Maire Geoghegan Quinn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Getting a voting card does not mean they are automatically entitled to vote. They are adults who should ascertain for themselves whether they should be voting. By voting illegally they, and their ilk, could be putting the legality of the result in jeopardy.

Especially with people like you openly stating on the internet that members of your family, who do not fulfill the criteria to vote, went ahead and voted anyhow.

Feel free to put in a complaint if it doesn't go your way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This is going to turn into a herbal essences ad " yes, yes, YES, YESSS!!!"

Nope. Non, pas de tout.

I voted No this morning and I'll vote No later on tonight again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

ewc78 wrote: »
    I voted No.

Well, I don't agree, but at least you used your right to vote. That's a good thing either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beautiful morning for a stroll down memory lane to my old primary school to help put something else down memory lane.
    Indeed. My polling station is my old primary school but also my duaghter's current one. I enjoyed the symbolism of us both using the same building to secure her future.
    Getting a voting card does not mean they are automatically entitled to vote. They are adults who should ascertain for themselves whether they should be voting.
    Well, no. Presuming that someone has been registered in good faith - i.e. without falsifying or omitting information, then they do not have to do anything further to ensure they're entitled to vote.

If they have the voting card they are entitled to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Voted Yes this morning.

I had the weirdest mini panic attack when I was leaving the polling station that I put the 'X' in the wrong box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Id say Roscommon will vote no & probably Longford. What ever way it goes I hope there is no whoop whoops and rubbing it in the other sides face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Proud to have voted No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Regardless of how they are voting, people deciding what they want to vote in and when is exactly the reason we have the same old same old governing us.

If people want change, like they say they do, there is no point turning out today in huge numbers and not setting foot in a polling booth at the next general election and waiting until the next referendum that interests them to vote again.

The status quo know to look after the old fogy's as they know they are the only guaranteed voters - this is causing more problems than we think.

If we have another general election later this year (which is likely), people need to vote then as well.

I did a quick vox Pop the other evening with some of my younger colleagues. One fella said he wasn't registered to vote and then said "fook the government". I don't think he grasped the notion that to change things he needs to register and use his vote. Another wasn't even sure if he was on the register.
    Anyhow,I digress.
    Even my normally conservative thinking mother is voting Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Ashamed to say I'm 30 and this was my first time voting in Ireland, disgraceful, I know.

But I did finally register and I did finally get off my lazy arse and vote Yes because it's important to me that the women of our great country make their own choices when it comes to their health and lives, and I think this one will be close. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

darem93 wrote: »
    Voted Yes this morning.

I had the weirdest mini panic attack when I was leaving the polling station that I put the 'X' in the wrong box.
    Every. Time.

When I'm actually standing there looking at the ballot, my brain panics for a sec to make sure that I'm marking the correct box.

This is why campaigns always go for a simple "Yes" and "No" message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭pgj2015

im heading up to vote now, its a no for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

There are people in Kerry wondering why there is no "Healy-Rae" option on the polling card.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Feel free to put in a complaint if it doesn't go your way

Childish reply from someone who has been complaining about the 'dishonesty' and 'lies' of the No campaigners.

It seems that you apply one rule to yourself, and another to those you don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think it will be a Yes win, but are childish and rude statements like this one really necessary?

Rude, me? I even helped one down the steps with her Zimmer frame. I was the model of decorum, thank you! :)

seamus wrote: »
    Indeed. My polling station is my old primary school but also my duaghter's current one. I enjoyed the symbolism of us both using the same building to secure her future.

Well, no. Presuming that someone has been registered in good faith - i.e. without falsifying or omitting information, then they do not have to do anything further to ensure they're entitled to vote.

No, they aren't. If they have not been living in Ireland during the required time scale they are not entitled to vote, regardless of whether or not they mistakenly received a voting card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yes very early this am, quite busy hopeful for a yes!
    All depends on turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

There are people in Kerry wondering why there is no "Healy-Rae" option on the polling card.

The Healy Rae's against water charges, https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/danny-healy-rae-calling-on-owners-of-wells-not-to-return-forms-to-irish-water-1.1973455
    then this
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/healy-rae-plant-hire-paid-e1-34m-irish-water-since-beginning-last-year/

Will we see them campaign for a No and then build/open an abortion clinic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

darem93 wrote: »
    Voted Yes this morning.

It's alright, it's alright, it's all right. She moves in mysterious ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No, they aren't. If they have not been living in Ireland during the required time scale they are not entitled to vote, regardless of whether or not they mistakenly received a voting card.

I know the rule is meant to be attack the post, not the poster but what is your problem today? Polls not going your way? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

seamus wrote: »

This simply isn’t true. People are left on registers for years erroneously. If ordinary residence isn’t held in addition to citizenship, the person is not eligible to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I consider women equal to men so obviously Yes! Proud to be part of dragging Ireland out of the dark ages.

I know the rule is meant to be attack the post, not the poster but what is your problem today? Polls not going your way? :rolleyes:

I said yesterday that it will probably be a Yes vote. I am pointing out that the overall result could be jeopardised by people who are not entitled to vote coming over to Ireland to cast their vote.

Is that too complex for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm home for the week to vote.
    And I am entitled to.

I presume your residence is out of the country for less than 18 months and and won't exceed that so. If that's the case I've no issue but if it is then you're abusing our voting system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

_Dara_ wrote: »
    This simply isn’t true. People are left on registers for years erroneously. If ordinary residence isn’t held in addition to citizenship, the person is not eligible to vote.

As Lionel Hutz highlighted, there is the law, and "the law".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

No.

ted1 wrote: »
    Because you get to excercise your democratic right which is not afforded to may people around the world and was hard fought for.

You also get to show the establishment that you do not agree with either situations and in future votes they may offer an alternative

Choosing not to vote is also exercising one's democratic right. In the case of a voter who is ignorant of the issues, not voting is a more civically-minded, responsible thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Voted just after 7 o'clock this morning as I won't get a chance to get to the polling station later on. Voted Yes. I'm forty now and I've waited all my adult life to have a chance to vote on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Choosing not to vote is also exercising one's democratic right. In the case of a voter who is ignorant of the issues, not voting is a more civically-minded, responsible thing to do.

I think, at best, it is the less irresponsible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

An emphatic no for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I said yesterday that it will probably be a Yes vote. I am pointing out that the overall result could be jeopardised by people who are not entitled to vote coming over to Ireland to cast their vote.

Is that too complex for you?

Have patience Bella. It will not be that tight that a few rogue voters from abroad will make a blind bit of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Aren't you an edgelord.

Voted yes myself. Polling stations were a lot emptier than I expected.

My first time voting at my new address but the place was like a morgue compared to my experience at previous polls.

Have patience Bella. It will not be that tight that a few rogue voters from abroad will make a blind bit of difference.

Hope not. Divorce passed by only 9000 votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Voted just after 7 o'clock this morning as I won't get a chance to get to the polling station later on. Voted Yes. I'm forty now and I've waited all my adult life to have a chance to vote on this issue.

If the yes vote carries would you be willing to work in one of these clinics if you were offered employment there and the same question to all yes voters.
    If you had relevant qualifications and you were offered employment there would you be willing to work there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I will be voting yes at lunch time. Whatever my moral feelings are about abortion,its happening and I want women to have the choice, support and to do it safely.

If the yes vote carries would you be willing to work in one of these clinics if you were offered employment there and the same question to all yes voters.
    If you had relevant qualifications and you were offered employment there would you be willing to work there?

In an abortion clinic? Yeah, course, if I was qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

What clinics? You mean gp,'s or hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

voted no.. protect the unborn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

In an abortion clinic? Yeah, course, if I was qualified.

That’s fair so.no issues if that’s the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

If the yes vote carries would you be willing to work in one of these clinics if you were offered employment there and the same question to all yes voters. If you had relevant qualifications and you were offered employment there would you be willing to work there?

Why would you seek qualifications in a particular field and then refuse to work in said field. Wouldn't make sense tbh.

Hope not. Divorce passed by only 9000 votes.

That was 23 years ago.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge and Rome's influence has diminished significantly.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    what about the babies choice, i'm sure they wouldn't choose death

You're better than that Anne.

• Advertisement
Advertisement