Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like where you live?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

spiralism wrote: »
    I wouldn't say every city at all, but i would go as far as to say it's a capital city thing. I find the non-amsterdam dutchies to be quite a sound bunch, for the most part, for instance.

What's Amsterdam the capital of ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wouldn't say every city at all, but i would go as far as to say it's a capital city thing. I find the non-amsterdam dutchies to be quite a sound bunch, for the most part, for instance.

Nah, they're rude, opinionated and arrogant everywhere else as well.

maximum12 wrote: »
    What's Amsterdam the capital of ?

The Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

We moved from Dun Laoghaire to a tiny wee village in county Laois about a year and a half ago.

Most my friends think I'm nuts but it has been an easy transition for me.

I have a lovely 4 bed house with a big garden and a greenhouse and I've got over 100 plants/trees/herbs growing at any given moment.
    All of which cost way less than we sold our pokey wee apartment in D-Laoire for.

The dog is running around chasing birds and actually has a life for herself instead of staring out the window which never seemed right to me so I'm chuffed for her too.

But it's not for everyone. Sometimes I think my fiancee would prefer to be back in DL or closer to shops/cafes etc.

You make trade-offs for one thing over another and for me the apple trees and the dog were more important than the missus.
    (lol, just joking)
    We actually mainly moved for more space coz we had twins.

There's a lot to be said for country living though. I mean it's not as though we have a mansion or anything but a fairly big house and a fairly big garden and people are nicer (or act nicer) and it all just seems more "natural" to me.

I would never go back to living in an apartment with no space and no garden etc....

Probably a stupid question but is it hard to make a living? As a city dweller I look at these houses in the middle of nowhere and wonder where the income is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We moved from an estate with a bad drug problem where they were openly dealing in front of our house to a mid-sized estate in a small village. It's very quiet for 8 months of the year, very busy as soon as it gets anyway warm. 10 minutes north is a large town, 10 minutes south and it's countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dangerous enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It was grand and quiet in the village i bought my house in up until about a year ago. The only thing you had was yung lads booting up and down the main street in their ****ty cars on a Friday and Saturaday night.

Then a family of scummers were moved in a few doors down from me. Currently 2 trailers of rubbish on the footpath in front of their house, a car literally up on blocks on the road in front of the house, someone set fire to their front door trying to burn them out and it's still all burnt up months later, numerous dogs in a frankly tiny back garden barking/howling day and night, the cops are there weekly, the kids who are between 5 and 12ish are left out until around 11 most nights and they are in and out of everyone's gardens.

People complained to the council and were informed they won't be moving them any time soon because they were already moved recently and this is were they moved them to. "Social" housing me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

We live 5.2 miles from the nearest shop. Where we moved from, was 1 mile along a canal, from Waitrose (posh UK supermarket).

We settled here from the getgo. We just love the space and peace and quiet. Our neighbours on 3 sides (fourth is a river) are the nicest you could hope to meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I like where I live. Its suburbia, its quiet, good transport links, nice neighbours and lots of local amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Probably a stupid question but is it hard to make a living? As a city dweller I look at these houses in the middle of nowhere and wonder where the income is.

You'd be surprised mate. Herself couldn't get a job in Dublin and since we moved here she got a job in Carlow (20 mins drive from here).

In Dublin she kept getting told that she lacked experience and there were so many people applying for the same job.
    Whereas here there were only 2 other applicants for the job she got apparently.

We're within 25 mins of 3 very large towns so despite it being rural you have easy traffic-free commutes to a few good options....

Having said all that I'm still working in Dublin and it takes over an hour to get to work which is a pain

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Side Gate

Our area was grand up until about two years ago. It's a mix of social and affordable housing and unfortunately the council in their wisdom decided to house a family of complete toerags a few houses down from us. 6 kids, man and dad don't work, constantly having house parties every other weekend etc.. We didnt have a dot of graffiti in the area before they moved in now the place is covered in it. Kids do be out and about until all hours and generally acting the b ollox any chance they get. One of the neighbours had enough of them and gave the "man of the house" a good hiding a few months back after he warned him the uncollected bins out front was now causing a problem with rats and he did nothing about it. Solved that problem short term but he's at it again now. We have recently found out the council rehoused them here after they where removed from last house for anti social activities. They'll be gone soon enough i'd imagine but it's just a nightmare having to put up with their ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Grew up in the countryside, moved to Dublin to study, then got a job there...

Tbh, although city living can be fun, found myself not wanting to leave sometimes when I'd visit the folks back home!

That's when I knew it was time to buy me self a field... :D Now that field is home, best decision I made!

The city can feel claustrophobic if you know you can't leave whenever you want... Now I enjoy when I'm in Dublin, partly because I know I get to leave at some point, and the brain gets a break from all the nuttiness! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love where I live. Neighbours are nice, and friendly, without being nosey or overbearing. I am not the type of person to knock into my neighbours for a chat, and appreciate when neighbours don't knock into mine without good reason.
    There's a lot of kids knocking about, but they're really good. They usually stay on the green areas and on the paths, but they all seem to get on well with each other. I've never noticed anyone being left out or bullied anyway, which is good.

The local shop, I can take or leave to be honest. I'd actually prefer to walk into town and go to a different shop. The town itself is a ballache. Full of people who think they know you better than you know yourself, and when you keep yourself to yourself and get involved with none of them, then you're "stuck up", "unfriendly", and "have notions".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The town itself is a ballache. Full of people who think they know you better than you know yourself, and when you keep yourself to yourself and get involved with none of them, then you're "stuck up", "unfriendly", and "have notions".

Sounds like the town i grew up in. It was a bit of a kip even back in the 80's, no employment beyond a handful of small shops, pubs and a supermarket but everyone knew each other so if you weren't the type of person who was constantly stuck in everyone elses business as well as sharing all of yours, you were "stuck up". The place never really grew much more beyond getting a couple of more mega-estates of hundreds of houses. The same shops and supermarket are chugging along.

It also had the usual middle-sized Irish town thing of the 5 or so families that are notorious for one reason or another. They might either own half the place, they might all be legendary alcoholics or be the biggest drug dealers in the place but everyone considered them right lads anyway. I hear stories about the place from time to time and the same surnames still crop up even now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick suburb.

Nice home, convenient, about 5 minute drive to city centre. Since a couple of regeneration families moved away, it's even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Lookit, the main thing is it isn't raining. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

The local shop, I can take or leave to be honest. I'd actually prefer to walk into town and go to a different shop. The town itself is a ballache. Full of people who think they know you better than you know yourself, and when you keep yourself to yourself and get involved with none of them, then you're "stuck up", "unfriendly", and "have notions".
    You can't win with those type of people. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think the whole being a 'blow in' notion is gone now since we became all 'multicultural' :cool: although the only sector it still seems to exist in is if you're applying for planning permission to build a house in a certain area and you have to show strong ties or a connection to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Yeah your right. I prolly just overstated how I felt.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pleasant enough inner suburb of Dublin. 1930s houses, right beside the Phoenix Park. Close to pretty much all the amenities you could want.

Only big drawback is that the road surfaces are sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I live in an area renowned for being an absolute **** hole, but it's grand. Neighbours are pleasant bar one set who are incredibly loud. Big back garden for the dog, shops, cinemas and gyms all in easy walking distance. There's undoubtedly a drug problem and high unemployment in the area, but I've never had any trouble, nor have my friends or family.

All in all, I wouldn't go wandering in some areas alone at night but it's grand.

• Advertisement

^^^^

Neighbours absolutely make or break a place.

Just after we were married we lived in a new flat in a nice area, but the guy downstairs was a total cnut. Mrs wouldn't go downstairs in the end - got quite stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

9or10 wrote: »
    ^^^^

Neighbours absolutely make or break a place.

Just after we were married we lived in a new flat in a nice area, but the guy downstairs was a total cnut. Mrs wouldn't go downstairs in the end - got quite stressful.

In the townland I'm living in there's 15 houses 14 of which are occupied. If one couple ever decide to sell up again (hopefully planning issue resolved) there will be much rejoicing and we'll all be out to wave them off when they do finally leave. The pathetic s**t myself and many other houses have had to deal with is laughable. No one has anything good to say about them. Other than that the place is fine.

^^^^
    There's overlaps with that thread about the Syrian family unhappy in Limerick - I know it went down a bit of a Limerick bash / defend that AH does so well.

The serious point IMO is that if you're largely surrounded by "good" people: people who'll dig you out when you need it; people who look out for your kids; people who .... - even if there is some big shoite going on that you can't do much about. That family probably were a lot happier in Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dublin 8. Lots of junkies, alcoholics, council flats, horse shìt, smell of guinness, hipsters. Frequent armed checkpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Portugal.Algarve .always wanted to live in the sun..I have lovely villa.sea and mountain views.and peace n quite.it what I always wanted so I very happy here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Dublin South Central. Street is grand, fairly quiet and close to town. Decent amenities, I don't talk to my neighbours - think the woman next door has tourettes, I hear her screaming through the wall a lot of the time. Not sure what the etiquette is about asking someone with tourettes to shut the fck up is. If it keeps up I'll have to call in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Small town close to Cork.
    I love it, it's a nice and quiet place, beautiful nature around, a number of roads that are quiet enough to cycle on (though the hills are a killer), a small beach close to the house I go for swims, and I recently started getting involved with a local charity so I met a lot of very nice people as well.
    We've got a good-sized house and lovely garden, shops are close by and it's not far to drive to work for me.
    Wouldn't trade it for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Commuter town. It's getting very multicultural I love it new people new businesses new ideas. I mix better with the foreigners they are more friendly and seem to be happier. Locals are fine in small doses. I have great neighbours I love my street so much there's a good vibe all the time. Right beside all the amenities I couldn't live somewhere where I wasn't beside shops tho that could change as I get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm in a South Dublin suburb renting an apartment while saving for a mortgage. Both of us work in decently paid IT jobs in Dublin, and with the lack of potential employers outside of Dublin I expect we'll be forced into a choice between an overvalued 3 bed semi detached in some non descript estate, or an hour plus commute. Either way tis bleak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I love where I live, a seaside town in the South East. Having said that I can't remember the last time I was at the beach. It's 15 minutes drive to the nearest main town, but most of what we need is out here so I don't often go in. However, I would love to move somewhere else in the town, or even not too far out in the surrounding countryside. This was our starter house and we are still here over 20 years later. The house is on the small side for us all, and the neighbour would near enough come knocking to complain if you were hanging a picture. But it's OK for their dog to start barking at 6am most mornings :(. I need to start doing the Lotto!

Advertisement