Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like where you live?

Options
  • 09-10-2016 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I'm living where I am now for about 3 years, well almost exactly 3 years. I live in a small town where there is a real sense of community with a small few cracks in the surface that you see after a while.

You can't go to the shop without meeting someone and having a chat but I like that and my local pub is almost like The Woolpack from Emmerdale, in a good way and not as much drama. :)

Prior to that I lived in an apartment for a few years after leaving home where I don't think I ever saw my neighbours. I definitely didn't know their names.

I do like my privacy and miss the availability and frequency of public transport but I love where I live now too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Good

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

(Looks out window)

It's dark here op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

We moved from Dun Laoghaire to a tiny wee village in county Laois about a year and a half ago.

Most my friends think I'm nuts but it has been an easy transition for me.

I have a lovely 4 bed house with a big garden and a greenhouse and I've got over 100 plants/trees/herbs growing at any given moment.
    All of which cost way less than we sold our pokey wee apartment in D-Laoire for.

The dog is running around chasing birds and actually has a life for herself instead of staring out the window which never seemed right to me so I'm chuffed for her too.

But it's not for everyone. Sometimes I think my fiancee would prefer to be back in DL or closer to shops/cafes etc.

You make trade-offs for one thing over another and for me the apple trees and the dog were more important than the missus.
    (lol, just joking)
    We actually mainly moved for more space coz we had twins.

There's a lot to be said for country living though. I mean it's not as though we have a mansion or anything but a fairly big house and a fairly big garden and people are nicer (or act nicer) and it all just seems more "natural" to me.

I would never go back to living in an apartment with no space and no garden etc....

• Advertisement

(Looks out window)

It's dark here op.

Ha, dont be like that, he/she just wanted a chat about where people are at.

Ney harm in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm in prison on a phone my cousin snook in, up his arse. It's cold and I wish I had never gone to bingo that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Ha, dont be like that, he/she just wanted a chat about where people are at.

Ney harm in that.

Ah fair enough.

Its about 9 degrees outside.

Still dark too ;)

Ah fair enough.

Its about 9 degrees outside.

Still dark too ;)

Lol, That's more like it!!! :D

Ah but seriously, the poor fella/girl was only looking for a chat, now we've got a jail-bird posting and stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Dublin.

It's getting expensive to buy a place here.
    It's getting expensive to rent a place here.
    Homelessness is at an all time high.
    There's a homeless soup kitchen type setup outside the GPO every evening.

It's all getting me a bit worried to be honest :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Lol, That's more like it!!! :D

Ah but seriously, the poor fella/girl was only looking for a chat, now we've got a jail-bird posting and stuff :D

Haha! No One Of Shanks, I get that, it's only a bit of craic :) Especially from Fluffycat who is known for their Award Winning threads :p

I just feel bad for Grayditch now :/:)

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Haha! No One Of Shanks, I get that, it's only a bit of craic :) Especially from Fluffycat who is known for their Award Winning threads :p

I just feel bad for Grayditch now :/:)

He'll be fine. So long as he's not sniffing the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is scenic, peaceful, rural, less than 15 minutes drive to Kilkenny city.
    Good neighbours, it is a lovely place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Dublin

Barely speak to my neighbours, kids feckin everywhere, areas starting to go full hipster. It's stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

Nice enough, but the neighbours moo occasionally though.

cailin8 wrote: »
    Nice enough, but the neighbours moo occasionally though.

Been there. Used to live next door to the mother in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Beautiful but dead. Peaceful but noisy (when the boyracers are about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm in prison on a phone my cousin snook in, up his arse. It's cold and I wish I had never gone to bingo that night.

Don't believe that for a minute.

"Its cold"

Everybody knows that prison is practically 5 star these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Don't believe that for a minute.

"Its cold"

Everybody knows that prison is practically 5 star these days.

I was using it in the showers. Lads who get caught using their phones on their Comfotron 3000 sleeping units only get one Ferrero Rocher for breakfast.

No but seriously, its grim in here and the phone would probabay have better reception if it was still in my cousin, but Vodafone don't wanna know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Used live in the countryside, bought a house in town 4 years ago.

Both have advantages/disadvantages but I love my house and there is some really friendly neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

:( Jaysus. I couldn't 'Thank / Like' the posts from people reporting from Dublin. Perhaps if we had a " My sincerest sympathy " button ...?

Myself? I live in a place that is only told of in rumour and hushed words. To reach it, you must pass the boundary of twilight. Far beyond the fields you may know.

It's lovely, here. I don't even need to take my med's ~ that often :)

Stigura wrote: »
    :( Jaysus. I couldn't 'Thank / Like' the posts from people reporting from Dublin. Perhaps if we had a " My sincerest sympathy " button ...?

Myself? I live in a place that is only told of in rumour and hushed words. To reach it, you must pass the boundary of twilight. Far beyond the fields you may know.

It's lovely, here. I don't even need to take my med's ~ that often :)

Where abouts in Meath? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

NOooooo! Further from the smoke than that!

Some say that, the closer Dub's get to us? The further our borders withdraw.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RyanDrive

Out in the countryside away from everything. Some people like but for a young person it's miserable and lonely out here. Wish I lived near people instead of animals and could go places (like the pub!) without driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's dull suburbia filled with middle class families who don't mix or speak much to neighbours, I've never really settled here. Best thing about it is that I'm near the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I feel I enhance the place I live in , otherwise it would be pretty dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Amsterdam. It's really fun, a good young person's city. People are generally very open and liberal but at the same time i'm not the fondest of the locals as they can often be rude, opinionated and arrogant. Easy to find work, yet rather expensive. Crime is very low, to the point that i'd arguably say it's the safest place i've lived in. Being on the continent and being able to travel by bus and train to nearby countries is a nice bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

spiralism wrote: »
    Amsterdam. ..... but at the same time i'm not the fondest of the locals as they can often be rude, opinionated and arrogant. .

I find that in every city I've lived in. I've met the most horrible people ever in cities, London especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

learn_more wrote: »
    I find that in every city I've lived in. I've met the most horrible people ever in cities, London especially.

I wouldn't say every city at all, but i would go as far as to say it's a capital city thing. I find the non-amsterdam dutchies to be quite a sound bunch, for the most part, for instance.

Advertisement