Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad Selfie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Burial. wrote: »
    Bringing a selfie stick into a Jacuzzi, jees that's pathetic.

Depending
    what you use it for i suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Regarding like-hunting etc., aren't we as forum users just as bad sometimes (a lot of the time)?

There are a lot of genuine thought provoking and light-hearted humorous threads out there but for every one of those there is a 'Where Are You Now' type thread. That's the type of self centered thread that serves a very similar role as those who post selfies.

+1. Lots of attention-seeking/validation-seeking going on here also.

Except it's from anonymous people!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I joined Facebook for about a week a year ago. Fcuking hated it and all it's false bullsh1te.
    That same week I was at party, 5 women between 38-42 who were all my facebook friends were sitting at the same table all glued to their phones. I took a pic of them and put it up on my Facebook stating how sad things have become socially blah blah. It was funny when one by one they spotted the pic coming up on their own Facebook and realising what they were doing. All phones down and back to chatting......for about 5 minutes

You did what?

Apart from that being a dik move, do you not see the irony?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You did what?

Apart from that being a dik move, do you not see the irony?

Of course. I did it so they would see themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Candie wrote: »
    There was a guy of about 30 with a selfie stick parading up and down the plane ... No doubt this tosser has a YouTube channel where he'll upload this and post a 'review'.

I have a theory - if you were to find this video and check you might see that what he's doing is his way of making a living. This guy might well have a monetised youtube channel where he gets a return on views/subs/ad-clicks. Now his muppetry doesn't excuse the invasion of your privacy but it might provide a little context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I think if you haven't been immersed in it, it's harder to understand. Social media has existed since I was about 14, though at first we hardly posted photos at all - on bebo, it was all about designing the "skin" of your profile (the colour scheme, background images etc) and filling in all the details of your interests. Then Facebook came along, with identical profiles for all, so photos became more commonplace to show off "who you are". That's what a social media profile offers - a chance to create and curate the best version of yourself, showing off just the "interesting" events and the flattering photos, telling your story as you want it to be told.

But if you've spent years (and especially those younger than me who fully grew up with it) seeing everyone else's selfies/holiday snaps/nights out, you don't necessarily think twice about sharing one when you're doing something vaguely more interesting than your daily life. It's just the done thing. And people always took holiday photos, they just didn't have the means to share them.

I'm not defending the people who spend nights out/concerts/dinner/gym sessions glued to their phones, mind. But posting photos after an event that you enjoyed for the benefit of your friends who were there too or just because you liked it and your friends might too - that isn't necessarily bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'm not defending the people who spend nights out/concerts/dinner/gym sessions glued to their phones, mind. But posting photos after an event that you enjoyed for the benefit of your friends who were there too or just because you liked it and your friends might too - that isn't necessarily bad.

I suppose the point is they don't post them after the fact.
    They post them during the fact and are constantly checking the number of likes and interest they're getting for the photos.

I don't mind people taking photos on a night out.
    I mind the levels of fakery used by people to convince other they're having a much better time than they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Candie wrote: »
    Social media has made people behave as though they think they're in their very own reality tv show.

Nail on the head ........

They think they are the Kardashians .... "Fab Chick xxxx" "stunner babes xxx"
    Fcuk me , enough !!!
    selfies and driving to the shop in lycra/running gear should be banned! Because that just leads to em taking selfies of themselves in the shop in their (not used for..) Running gear...... #shoptime #NewAdidas #SpandexSaturday

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

NIMAN wrote: »
    Most are done by men who are very looks-conscious too I find, those sort who take longer than their GFs to get ready for a night out.

And what is wrong with a man being 'looks conscious'? Men are judged on their looks as much as women so I dont see why the world should end when they try to take care of how they look just as a woman might

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I joined Facebook for about a week a year ago. Fcuking hated it and all it's false bullsh1te.
    That same week I was at party, 5 women between 38-42 who were all my facebook friends were sitting at the same table all glued to their phones. I took a pic of them and put it up on my Facebook stating how sad things have become socially blah blah. It was funny when one by one they spotted the pic coming up on their own Facebook and realising what they were doing. All phones down and back to chatting......for about 5 minutes

How rude of you to make fun of those people publicly for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bb1234567 wrote: »
    How rude of you to make fun of those people publicly for no reason.

I'd argue it was rude of the party goers to have their faces stuck in their phones when at a social gathering of mates. Seriously boils my blood. I've been invited over to watch matches at a friend's place and he'd forever be texting away. I'd say ''oh jesus did you see that shot?'' and he'd mumble oh eh yeah but really he wouldn't have or worse he'd act like I was interrupting him. Felt like I was watching on my own so now that's why I do.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd argue it was rude of the party goers to have their faces stuck in their phones when at a social gathering of mates. Seriously boils my blood. I've been invited over to watch matches at a friend's place and he'd forever be texting away. I'd say ''oh jesus did you see that shot?'' and he'd mumble oh eh yeah but really he wouldn't have or worse he'd act like I was interrupting him. Felt like I was watching on my own so now that's why I do.

People are entitled to spend their time however they like. Taking pictures of somebody without their permission and making fun of them publicly is not okay, I dont know how you can think they are comparable in terms of rudeness

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

To be honest selfies don't really bother me all that much, although I do agree if people are obsessing over them and not conversing for the whole night that's a bit extreme. I don't see the harm in taking a few pictures with friends or putting up a selfie on social media where you think you look good. Maybe it is for an ego boost if you get a lot of likes or comments, maybe you just really liked how your make up looked or you loved your outfit and felt like sharing it.

The ill relative pictures are ridiculous though. That's 100% crossing the line and I highly doubt the relative would want a picture of them near death online. I saw someone on Facebook posting one of them the other day and just couldn't believe it. That's a very personal thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Have you ever heard of a 'griefie'? I've bloody seen them. Person takes a pic of themselves grieving at a funeral and uploads it with hashtags like

#GoneTooSoon #RIP #SoSad

#with the angles :D... (Obtuse, acute, right...) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

For me it's a new addiction. A social media addiction. When email was a novelty the AOL "You've got Mail!" was the buzz provider. When everyone got Nokia 3310 phones, the morse coded "SMS" notification was the buzz provider. Now with social media sites accessed through smart phones, it's the 'Notifications' that is providing the buzz.

When someone with 500 'friends' on Facebook updates their profile picture, then those little persistant 'like' notifications provide the buzz, your phone goes ballistic and you get the dopamine release. Initially this is euphoric and therein lies the addiciton. And similar to drugs that are euphoriants, the initial buzz provided wears off and you need more to feed the addiction. You end up in a situation where you are posting selfies from a jacuzzi alone in order to get those likes and shares to satisfy the addictive cravings, you need to do something more and more extreme to get the same level of high.

valoren wrote: »
    For me it's a new addiction. A social media addiction. When email was a novelty the AOL "You've got Mail!" was the buzz provider. When everyone got Nokia 3310 phones, the morse coded "SMS" notification was the buzz provider. Now with social media sites accessed through smart phones, it's the 'Notifications' that is providing the buzz.

When someone with 500 'friends' on Facebook updates their profile picture, then those little persistant 'like' notifications provide the buzz, your phone goes ballistic and you get the dopamine release. Initially this is euphoric and therein lies the addiciton. And similar to drugs that are euphoriants, the initial buzz provided wears off and you need more to feed the addiction. You end up in a situation where you are posting selfies from a jacuzzi alone in order to get those likes and shares to satisfy the addictive cravings, you need to do something more and more extreme to get the same level of high.
    I dont think its that intense for most people..
    I spend way too much time on social media but I could easily take myself off them..im not physically addicted

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People are entitled to spend their time however they like. Taking pictures of somebody without their permission and making fun of them publicly is not okay, I dont know how you can think they are comparable in terms of rudeness

Ok well all I'm saying is that if I was invited to someone's house I wouldn't spend my time there glued to my phone and would like if that courtesy was reciprocated in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You end up in a situation where you are posting selfies from a jacuzzi alone in order to get those likes and shares to satisfy the addictive cravings, you need to do something more and more extreme to get the same level of high.

Yeh, look at Hope Solo ........ Takes it to another level ! Selfies weren't enough, needed to up the ante .....
    blue waffle part 2 !!!! WTAF !?!?!?:eek: (viewer discretion, NSFW etc etc ...)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They're literally creating false memories.

They are trying to be liked, which is a universal need.

They just go the wrong way about it. A very wrong way.

I have sympathy not scorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Selfies are bad enough but I really dislike when someone post pics of "friends" in a drunken state on a night out.

This is a lack of respect for you friend and not necessary.

Nights out are being ruined by people too obsessed with phones and taking pics.
    Just sit down , chat and have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If you're holding a cat it doesn't count as a selfie because the cat is the main subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I dont think its that intense for most people..
    I spend way too much time on social media but I could easily take myself off them..im not physically addicted

Spoken like every alcoholic in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Vanity is the new religion ppl, get with the programme.

If you're holding a cat it doesn't count as a selfie because the cat is the main subject.

I've seen so many selfies where the pet is a prop, and also an excuse for a 'cute' face. And that's just the chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I was abruptly unfriended by someone who shared a post with a photo of someone on an escalator, for having skirt tucked into knickers at the back, or toilet paper trailing from skirt or something. I said I thought it's a bit mean to photograph them, then realised my 'friend' had taken the photo herself. Horrible thing to do IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

3310!!! La Di Da!! Someone was doing well back then, had to slum it with a 3210... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I was abruptly unfriended by someone who shared a post with a photo of someone on an escalator, for having skirt tucked into knickers at the back, or toilet paper trailing from skirt or something. I said I thought it's a bit mean to photograph them, then realised my 'friend' had taken the photo herself. Horrible thing to do IMO

Trust me, she is no loss to you whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Since the invention of the camera people have had to be careful what they take photos of so they don't waste precious film. Then along came digital cameras, and subsequently mobile phones, with memory cards you could reformat and use over and over again as well as batteries you don't have to throw out when they get used.

I actually think it would be weird if no one ever pointed their phone or camera at themselves and took a picture.

I'm old enough to remember when having your photo taken was a massive deal and reserved for occasions when all your family got together. My mother has dozens of photo albums. I've looked through them and I don't think there's a single photo of me between the ages of about thirteen and eighteen. So fuck it. I have a digital camera and I'll take as many photos of myself as I want and document how I look.

When you're an 80 and reminiscing about being in your twenties you'll most likely want to look at a photo of yourself. But none will exist even though you had a device that would have taken one for next to nothing because you didn't want to appear narcissistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

"You look stunning hun luv d dress xx"

"Ah dis old ting? Sur ive had dis years state of me lol tanx hun xxxxxx"

Yes, clearly a person will choose to wear a dress that they actually think they look a state in. :p

Oh that bugs the crap outa me too !!! That "u look Fab Hun" **** just reads total fakeness ......
    When is all this social media/ selfie craze gunna end ? or what will it evolve into next? Its just gotten out of control

Advertisement