Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2019, 18:58   #31
kala85

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
Yes
Thanks
Advertisement
Yesterday, 14:58   #32
smurfette2212

New Build - Offers?

Apologies if this is a daft question, or has been asked before (I can’t find it if so!) but when buying a new build, or looking to buy, from an estate agent rather than the developer, is putting in an offer below the asking price foolish? If there are only a few of the houses left, should you just offer what they ask?
Yesterday, 15:02   #33
the_syco

How long have the few houses been on the market?
Yesterday, 15:23   #34
Creamy Goodness

This was asked a couple of days back, thread below a wealth of info

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/20579...#post109130873
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 16:28   #35
Graham

Mod Note

Threads merged
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 22:31   #36
smurfette2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
This was asked a couple of days back, thread below a wealth of info

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/20579...#post109130873

I knew that would happen - I always fear starting a post that already exists. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:33   #37
smurfette2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
How long have the few houses been on the market?
I think 2-3 months. 3 have sold, 2 are left. There are other properties in the development but with a different estate agent, I believe.
Yesterday, 22:50   #38
enricoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfette2212 View Post
I think 2-3 months. 3 have sold, 2 are left. There are other properties in the development but with a different estate agent, I believe.
No harm trying. Depends on how stuck the builder is to pay off the crowd financing it.
This brexit lark will surely affect sales, apparently the interest on builders loans is very high. builders might be a lot more willing to negotiate n take a small hit.
Especially if theres a few developments in the area on the go.

Last edited by enricoh; Yesterday at 22:56.
Today, 05:41   #39
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoh View Post
No harm trying. Depends on how stuck the builder is to pay off the crowd financing it.
This brexit lark will surely affect sales, apparently the interest on builders loans is very high. builders might be a lot more willing to negotiate n take a small hit.
Especially if theres a few developments in the area on the go.
It depends on the developer- but any developer who wants to maintain a private business is looking at interest rates of 12-14% from Irish lenders (even now). Aka- you or I can walk into a bank and secure an overdraft- on better terms than many builders. I've been careful with my choice of wording here- those developers who have alternate financing models and/or business structures (including but not limited to LA or NAMA financing to finish other developments- which themselves are dwindling in number)- can access far better terms.

In short- nothing ventured, nothing gained. One thing I'd suggest though- is look to see whether a developer has had to diversify and shift their sales to alternate venues- is a single main estate agent handling sales- or have multiple agents been appointed- and a chunk of sales moved online. The more people they are trying to involve in the sales- equals the more difficulty they are having in shifting the units- and commensurately, the more likely they are to entertain alternate arrangements with prospective buyers.

Times are changing-its not carnage out there by any means- but the days of queuing to buy something, anything, in the arse-end of nowhere, just to get something- are over...........
Advertisement
Today, 09:29   #40
happyfriday74

They will take them at asking at first at the point the buyers at queuing up outside. By all means you can try haggle but they will likely just pass you over for another buyer who is willing to put a booking deposit at asking.

What COULD happen is months down the line when the time comes to sign contracts and pay the non refundable contract deposit one of the buyer at asking may pull out at that point( found another house, change of circumstances etc) and they may go back to you if they are in a hurry to sell out the phase.

No guarantees though and I really wouldn't bet on it as they will be calling all the people who were offering full asking who missed the chance to place a booking deposit before they call you.

If they do they will expect you to be ready to go and complete asap.

Best of luck!
Today, 11:01   #41
Edgware

There can be a bit of flexibility in buying new builds depending on demand for the property. If not on price it could be a higher grade of kitchen/bathroom etc.
However where people are lining up with deposits you wont get too much
Today, 11:47   #42
happyfriday74

I nearly got a new build cheaper than asking. House was lets say €15 but was sold at €17 as they added a small extension.

I was bidding on another house and the seller took it off the market.

In the meantime a friend who bought in a new estate we liked told me he heard one of the nearby houses was having issues closing due to a purchaser playing games returning a contract. The other party has 3 months late returning the contract and he said the builder was going to pull the sale and wanted the house sold before xmas and likely to take a small discount if we could complete quickly.

We put in an offer of 15 which was less than what it was agreed for but said we would be able to complete within a few weeks and no messing. Builder said fair enough and he would talk his partner.

Builder came back and said that he told the other party they were walking and going with an underbidder(i.e us).

I got a call a few days later and apparently the original buyer suddenly came to the builder and assured them they would complete the purchaser and we were told there would be no deal.

By chance the sellers of the original house we wanted had a change of heart, reapproached us and decided to sell to us after all. We promptly exchanged contracts.

A week before closing the original house, the builder of the second house called me up and loe and behold his original purchaser was playing games again and said our original deal was back on the table. I told him at this stage I was committed to the other house and wasn't able to follow up.

As you can see, there a lot of ifs and buts and luck is going to be the only factor.
Today, 14:47   #43
Dearg81

My next door neighbour got their new build 4 bed house for less than the asking price while I had to queue for my 3 bed. This was a couple of years ago and it was on the market for around 1 year but it shows that it can be done.
Today, 18:11   #44
lililanny

There is another new development we are interested. A small development of 8 houses. Listed at 400k. 2 are unsold. Do you think an offer for less could be made on these?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion