Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like where you live?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Living in a mixed housing estate in Tallaght. It was grand when we bought 7 years ago but it has gone downhill rapidly over the last 5 years. Owners moved out and rented out the two apartments above to one very noisy neighbour starts drilling at 1am, the other is selling cars from his apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm still living at home- folks spend 70% of the year running a B&B in France, so I'm on my todd in the house. We live in a nice commuter town, about a 40min bus journey from Dublin City Centre. I drive, so I'm not too cut off. The estate has actually improved a lot in the last 18 months; it had gone a bit shabby during the recession. People have money to give their walls a lick of paint now!!

Also plenty of kids with 0% road sense- I've actually pulled in more than once to reem them out of it when they idly walk out in front of me (the 9/10 year olds, not the toddlers!). No overly rough families, everyone rubs along as best they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I live in an area of North London called Wood Green. We live in a modern "luxury open plan" one bed flat built during the boom so of course it's a piece of sh*t featuring a load of shoddy workmanship on pretty much everything from the windows to the plumbing.

The area itself is one of the most multicultural parts of the city with prominent Irish, African, West Indian, Turkish, Kurdish, Somali and East European communities (along with a lot of others.) It has a bad enough reputation for crime and it does have a gang problem and a sketchy enough vibe at night. However Wood Green is also a very busy and long high street featuring a cinema, shopping centre, pubs, bookshops and a variety of good quality local Turkish retaurants and cafes. There's a small halting site at the top of the high road as well but I haven't heard anything untoward about the Travellers who live there. The transport links are excellent with three tube stations and a variety of bus routes going through it.

I've recently bought a house so will be moving out a bit soon but I will definitely miss the area and the convenience it brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Its pretty nice. A suburb in North Kildare about 35 mins by train from Dublin. Multiple shopping centres about a 15 min drive. Lots of great parks and old buildings around to go for walks and runs around. I live in an estate but you can hear the sheep baa-ing from the house as it's where city meets country. Also the people are dead sound and violent crime is pretty much non existent. Loads of nice bars and restaurants too in my town.

I used to hate the place growing up but as I got older realised it ticks all the boxes if you wanted to raise a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I live in a small village in Galway, the neighbours are sound which is worth any money and there are no troublemakers in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I wish AvB would post in here. I want to know what the posh area of Frankfurt is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

I thought he worked the Reeperbahn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I've lived in my place for twelve years now and I could safely say that if I moved out tomorrow I really wouldn't miss anyone or anything about it. It's simply where my four walls are. I can of course appreciate the proximity to shops and other facilities that I use, but I haven't put down roots or formed close bonds here. I don't know any of the neighbours, I don't have kids so there are no ties to their little buddies, or schools or clubs nearby, and I don't have any emotional attachment to my home either. In fact, I have much more of an emotional pull towards the crappy little town I grew up in (my parents no longer live there) than here in Dublin, where I've lived for (the vast majority of) the past 25 years. I wouldn't move back home though, there's nothing there for me now except rose-tinted memories of childhood.

Maybe someday I'll know where I'm meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    In fact, I have much more of an emotional pull towards the crappy little town I grew up in (my parents no longer live there) than here in Dublin, where I've lived for (the vast majority of) the past 25 years. I wouldn't move back home though, there's nothing there for me now except rose-tinted memories of childhood.

Maybe someday I'll know where I'm meant to be.

Ye I'm a bit like that with the house I grew up in. My parents moved from there a good few years ago now.

A while ago, I was visiting our old next door neighbour with my mam and when i saw the house, had a passing thought of knocking in and asking to see my old room but then I thought "nah that would be really weird". They'd be like "eh no, who are you?" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's a kip. Drugs, vandalism and constant antisocial behaviour from little angles who are left run wild by parents who are too busy being mad baxtards/full time fucxing legends to give a sh1t. It's a depressing environment to put up with but I don't see much chance of escape. I would never raise a child here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Grew up on the northside of Dublin (sounds like a song intro :p) but then moved an hour outside it a decade ago and found I much preferred the more relaxed, friendly atmosphere. As it was a still-decently-sized town you had everything you needed locally but only about 40 mins to a large retail centre on the Dublin outskirts

Moved back to Dublin for a few years for work and even lived in the much sought after South County Dublin (D18), but found it massively overrated. Nothing in the immediate surrounds except identikit anonymous housing/apartments, and the whole place just reeked of "notions" - particularly Dundrum SC which would have been the closest big retail centre.

Now living an hour away again in a different direction because I didn't see the value in paying even more rent to live in a place like the above just to be close to work - so instead I commute (helped by flexible hours and work from home rights) and have the benefits of that quieter pace but still big enough to have everything.

The plan though is to move further south next year so I can be closer to my little fella, but still work in Dublin (3 days a week with 2 from home) until I find something locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Living in an "overvalued 3 bed semi detached in some non descript estate in South Dublin".
    The neighbours all around us are great and there aren't any anti-social families in the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Fairly quite. Loads of single mothers living around me. There was a young couple living beside me who were always fighting. The guy threw his girlfriend out the window one night. They're gone now though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

I live in an apartment complex, it's in a "rougher" side of town. I know my neighbours and get on well with them. There's a band that practice somewhere in the block but always finish up by 8 on the evenings they do play. I quite like having the window open and hear their tunes mellow the evening out while I'm cooking or the likes. The "rough" reputation is in no-way deserved.

I'm in the UK. I get taxed less, am better paid, get a higher standard of public services for what I do pay. The one bad thing is how hard it is to find soda bread nearby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I live in Tallaght and it's wonderful.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm a bit surprised at how many people live in places they don't really like.

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that I live in a quiet area with decent neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

American suburbia here. No public transport at all. No local shops, the nearest supermarket is about 2 or 3 miles away but it's not really walkable due to no sidewalks for some of the way. A car is essential. On the plus side it's a nice quiet area with lots of parks and hiking trails nearby. Neighbours are friendly enough but people keep to themselves for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I live in a beautiful valley. Good mix of people, mostly farmers, but with a mix of professionals, retired, self employed and unemployed. What I love is the lack of snobbery, everyone talks to one another, regardless of who you are or what you have or do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement