Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Got to agree about Herring! Very solid. Good all rounder.
    Conway is just playing out of his mind. He's just in a zone! It's great to see.
    I will say that our defense seems to be soaking a lot of meters. I think we don't look up to speed at times. But otherwise we are going well enough.
    Furlong on form changes the complexion of our side. He is a different animal altogether. He's really getting back to his best. Healy was ok. Nothing really stood out. He seems to be having a dip in form. It could be old man time creeping up on him.
    The locks again were solid. Nothing spectacular, just did their work.
    The back row was good. Wales didn't get any dominance against them.
    In the backs, it's obvious that Larmour is unsettling the opposition. He just is that guy with the great feet. He also had one fantastic touch finder. But, one poor kick that went out on the full. Overall he adds so much to the side. It's going to be in opposing sides heads that this guy can create something out of nothing. This is something that we just didn't have before and it adds a possible dimension to the attacking structure.
    England will be tough at Twickers! But, you never know who Jones will select? He's like a ninja with his selection. I don't think Furbank is at the level required, nor Curry at 8. But however, go on Eddie and select as many lads out of position as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it occurred to me that Ireland's Munster contingent are playing really well...CJ and Conway in particular, but POM and Murray had their best games in a while today as well. I'm not sure what that says...if anything...but they do appear to have been lifted by joining up with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

tryagain wrote: »
    Agree Rob Herring had another good game . I think or hope in time Kelleher will bring xfactor I wonder would Doris be an improvement on back row thought Cooney looked good also look when he game on can he be an upgrade on Murray ??.

No doubt Kelleher is waiting in the wings, and will probably get his shot against Italy, however Herring getting the nod now may end up benefitting Kelleher as it means he can work his way into the team with a few cameos, it just takes the pressure off a bit.

It's just a matter of time for him, but for now Herring is there on merit and doing well. The Ireland lineout must be close to 100% so far? There was one loss today when Ball appeared to interfere a bit with Ryan on their way down, I can't think of any others that we didn't win.

Herring has been very good. He really is putting it about.
    We are doing well with hookers right now! Considering Scannell was dropped! I thought Scannell has been the best hooker this far this year.
    Kelleher will be involved more, obviously. Then there's McBurney at Ulster, who will be thereabouts in the not too distant future. Tierney-Martin is a prospect too!
    Lots to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I am honestly not sure if Conway could have made better decisions or executed better than he did yesterday, can not remember him putting a toe out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I am honestly not sure if Conway could have made better decisions or executed better than he did yesterday, can not remember him putting a toe out of place.

Whilst Stander had a fine game at the breakdown, I've no idea how Conway wasn't MOTM. He was superb. The kick down the line from his own 22, his defensive reads, work under the high ball and with ball in hand were all top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Rewatched the game last night. I called out Stander, Henshaw and Larmour as playing really well at half time during the game, but looking back at Conway during the rewatch, he really was excellent throughout. I'm not always his biggest fan, but kudos to him for yesterday, great performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Buer wrote: »
    Whilst Stander had a fine game at the breakdown, I've no idea how Conway wasn't MOTM. He was superb. The kick down the line from his own 22, his defensive reads, work under the high ball and with ball in hand were all top notch.

Conway was MoM with everyone I talked to

You have to remember who was picking the MoM.....with Quinlan it always has to be a forward and 9 times out of 10 it will be a Munster forward....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think England are a totally different team without Vunipola and Tuilagi. I actually fancy us to mug them for one in Twickenham and I'm rarely optimistic.

Just read that the autumn internationals are , Oz Boks and Japan. Should be some cracking matches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

leakyboots wrote: »
    Usual guff from the usual talking heads about POM. Makes this place hard to visit. I don't know why I'm responding as I gave up on it a while back but sure...

Top tackler at the time of his substitution, finished 2nd behind Ryan over the 80.

"He didn't contribute anything in attack" - he ran 3m less than JvdF… same carries (only 4 each). Made one more pass than JvdF. If you're to go on those stats neither offered much going forward and, for some number worshippers, consequentially had bad games... Which is not true for either of them. Oh and he was primary latch to get Furlong over for his try.

I wonder... could it be that POM is... not there to give us constant go forward...? That maybe his skillset is being used elsewhere. I thought James Ryan didn't kick the ball enough today, shocking given the conditions!

Anyway, POM robbed lineout ball. Gave us great lineout ball in a f**king orange weather alert. Pain in the hole at rucktime all day on a day when Wales put a good squeeze on us early on. Made his tackles, gave away a couple of penalties, I'm delighted for his sake he played well because some people just refuse to give him credit no matter what and spout guff. Had a very good day at the office.

I thought he was in with a shout got MOTM but Stander deservedly got it. Conway was up there but wasn't involved frequently enough (understandably given the conditions) and Henshaw was going great guns until his injury, hope he's okay.

Delighted for Larmour (is it just me or the soggy pitch but he seemed to lack his usual burst of acceleration?). Having a fullback who can attack with purpose and pass will be massive for us. I thought Earls was sensational off the bench. But look at his numbers on ESPN and you'd say he did fanny all bar two passed and tackles. All the subs did well really. Stockdale was mixed and made bad decisions ball in hand along with some good ones.

Onwards, hope we can build on this

Edit: this is in the wrong thread,meant to respond in match thread but sure here is as good as anywhere

Again the usual extreme when it comes to POM. He was no where near man of the match. He was good, like a 7/10 good. There is no need to blow his performance either way out of proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Larmour, Stander and Furlong in it for the second week running.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Thought there was a few good performances but I'm still finding the playstyle so boring.

If I see another wrap around style play with a prop I'll lose my mind. Watching the France/Italy match, both teams much more adventurous, players constantly running off a shoulder looking for the offload.

Stander, Henshaw and Conway the 3 standout players.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think that leaves approx 23 players in camp which is likely a strong reflection of the team to face England.

Kelleher is one exception as he badly needs game time having been unavailable before the 6N.

Deegan didn't overtake Doris it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think that leaves approx 23 players in camp which is likely a strong reflection of the team to face England.

Kelleher is one exception as he badly needs game time having been unavailable before the 6N.

Deegan didn't overtake Doris it would seem.

A few exceptions. Ringrose wont be fit for this one and I think Addison is still rehabbing with Ireland. Not sure he will be involved against England with how little rugby he's played

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Stockdale will be class, he is the future but Earls had great display off bench today so he needs to come in. Henshaw was back to his best before he went off so he starts as well.

Doubt Stockdale, or Earls, will get much of a chance when Lowe is qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Stockdale is 4 years younger than Lowe who will be 28 when he's qualified. He has a long future with Ireland ahead. Ideally I think Ireland will want one of them to try to shift to the right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

It would be pretty strange for to hand out a central contract to a young player who "hasnt much of a chance" of playing in a years time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

it's an interesting one as both Lowe and Stockdale have question marks over their defense. Earls is 32 now, he has a central contract until 2021 but would he have another 2 years left in him, his injury profile is'nt great. is Conway now ahead of earls?

• Advertisement

I would say Earls will lose out to Lowe, he would be coming up on retirement anyway....

You will end up with Lowe, Stockdale and Conway, not a bad selection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

In the lead up to Aki qualifying there was a lot lot of chat about would he make the starting line up and would one of Henshaw/Ringrose losing their place. In reality there has been only a handful of games where all 3 are available. In all likelihood something similar will happen with Stockdale, Conway and Lowe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

b.gud wrote: »
    In the lead up to Aki qualifying there was a lot lot of chat about would he make the starting line up and would one of Henshaw/Ringrose losing their place. In reality there has been only a handful of games where all 3 are available. In all likelihood something similar will happen with Stockdale, Conway and Lowe

I think the wing trio seem to be more durable than Henshaw and Ringrose tho? Which is likely as a result of playing in a less attritional position, so it's possible they'll all be available more often. Good problems to have tho.

Lowe is better than any of our back three options and I include Larmour in that. He is in a category on his own as far as im concerned. Maybe I'm biased, but I think he is the most unplayable back in the country.

I would be surprised if he isn't parachuted straight into the starting team upon qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lowe is better than any of our back three options and I include Larmour in that. He is in a category on his own as far as im concerned. Maybe I'm biased, but I think he is the most unplayable back in the country.

I would be surprised if he isn't parachuted straight into the starting team upon qualification.

He's the most dangerous attacker in Ireland. Runs excellent lines and makes offloads that none of teh others would even contemplate.

There's also the fact that Lowe and Larmour link up very well on the counterattack. They're always in position to receive an offload from the other.

Lowe is quality, plus he done interview at end of season saying that when Leinster approached him it was with the view to him playing for Ireland. So they have planned for this.

If he keeps up his current form I would expect him to walk into the team as well. I would keep Conway who is also in exceptional form. Earls or Stockdale off the bench is not a bad option either. Woul really strengthen the team but also the bench option even further

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    Stockdale is 4 years younger than Lowe who will be 28 when he's qualified. He has a long future with Ireland ahead. Ideally I think Ireland will want one of them to try to shift to the right wing.

Baloucoune will be on the right wing......or Aaron Sexton.;);););)

I think Balacoune will pick up a cap this summer. The depth on the wings will be scary.
    Stockdale
    Conway
    Lowe
    Earl's
    Balacoune

Some serious players available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think Balacoune will pick up a cap this summer. The depth on the wings will be scary.
    Stockdale
    Conway
    Lowe
    Earl's
    Balacoune

Some serious players available there.

and Dave

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see if Doris starts against England. POM and Stander have answered a lot of critics the last two weeks in fairness to them, Stander in particular. I'd say more like Doris comes off the bench but hope I'm surprised.

On second viewing I reckon he was very lucky not to give away a penalty under the posts to Scotland with that opening turnover. We didn't seem to be competing for the ball that breakdown and he was well outside the gate before he got his hands on the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement