Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Years ago today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I remember the 1997 storm. That was the year my brother got his Playstation for Christmas. No electricity, so he had to sit and look at it.

Was not happy at all :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nothing like when i was a kid living in England.. I remember one Xmas ,maybe around the 1990, maybe even before that. There was about 2 or 3 feet of snow!! That was the best ever!! And was hard to try and cycle my new bike!!:) We use to go to the playground and we could fall back into the snow and not smack our heads off the concrete heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I remember the Christmas Eve storm well. I can't believe it was ten years ago. Our electricity went off at around 8pm, but miraculously came back on five minutes later, which was a relief because I got a Playstation 1 that year. I remember walking to mass on Christmas morning and counting the number of slates and aerials missing from people's houses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

rahenyguy wrote: »
    dub 13 i live in killbarrack and i dont rememvber it either and i was 17 when it happened so my guess is we were lucky

One of the many many benefit's of living in the big smoke.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I had a talkman! Wow!

I also remember opening Christmas presents by torchlight. Pretty terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dub13 wrote: »
    One of the many many benefit's of living in the big smoke.;)

yeah bad weather cannot happen in a city as big as dublin :)

i got stuck in a terrible blizzard in NY one time and NY is 10 times the size of dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Just in case you're thinking I've gone crazy... :D

Nah we'd never think that Milktrolley :rolleyes: I do indeed remember that night, waiting for family to drive from Dublin to Kerry, being worried a tree would fall on their car!
    Scary night that - doesn't feel like 10years ago. Are we getting old?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yeah bad weather cannot happen in a city as big as dublin :)

i got stuck in a terrible blizzard in NY one time and NY is 10 times the size of dublin

I did not say the size of the city saves us,more the fact that we are on the east cost does....storms are generally a lot weaker by the time the hit Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I was....6....
    Me my dad and my three year odl brother walked up the road to a grandaunts house...as we were going home the storm got worse...and I lifted into the air! My dad had to pin my lil bro against the wall with his leg and grab me with both arms!
    Also that was the year I got on the radio to say hi to everyone i knew at like 6am....memorable!
    No electricity in Wexford til the middle of Xmas day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

narco wrote: »
    we'd just gotten a big expensive GAA clubhouse built, i dont think it'd even been officially opened, and the storm ended up knocking loads of the tiles off the roof. there was a pretty good community effort at putting them all back up, which i found really impressive, particularly given the timing.

Remember that one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I don't know if my memories are the ones of 1997 or 1998 but I was either 7 or 8 at the time and remember the power been gone for at least 2 days and us having to get take out food

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dub13 wrote: »
    I did not say the size of the city saves us,more the fact that we are on the east cost does....storms are generally a lot weaker by the time the hit Dublin.

You Dubs are your fancy weather systems.

Don't remember anything of the sort myself. I would have been in Cork at the time.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I remember it well!
    I was six and i was in town and two parts of Penneys' Clock fell off and hit a car.
    I recall a row of christmas lights breaking and coming down on someone...narrowly missing their head.
    I also remember that Limerick's Pirate Radio Station RLO was the only one to survive :p
    That was such a class christmas

Last night's fog was pretty cool though
    I came out of work and couldnt see a thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

milli wrote: »
    Are we getting old?
    Yes. Yes we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

10 years ago today I was 13 and getting my first ever pc, a compaq deskpro.

Advertisement