Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Years ago today

Options
  • 25-12-2007 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hard to believe, but it has been ten years since the mad storms of Christmas Eve 1997. For me anyway it was one of the defining Christmas memories, sitting in the dark talking to Santa on CKRfm while my brother held a Talkboy up to a battery operated radio. We were one of the lucky ones, our power had returned by around 9:30 that night. What are your memories of it??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I cant remember any storm....and I am 28 so would have bee 18 at the time,maybe I was drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

funny that!......i dont remember any storm either!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

skelliser wrote: »
    funny that!......i dont remember any storm either!

Maybe it was just in Carlow..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Just in case you're thinking I've gone crazy... :D
    http://www.clubi.ie/mm/UnfIRXmasE.htm

Irish Examiner; Dec. 29, 1997:
    "HURRICANE Noelle" has brought double trouble for ESB network electrician Michael Keating whose own home has been wrecked by the high winds while he was out trying to help thousands of customers. Last night, approximately 1,250 homes were still without power.
    ""It's been absolute mayhem. The fellas are wrecked. It's been non-stop since around 1pm on Christmas Eve. Nobody has had a Christmas dinner and nobody has had a full night's sleep. We start at around 7am and most of us don't finish up until 11pm... Never did I think we'd be thrown in this deep."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yeah remember that, but i didn't think it was xmas day. The storm was just getting bad and i decided to move my car from the front of the house to the side, just in case any tiles fell off the roof. about 20 minutes later i looked out the window and there was a 30ft tree where my car had been parked, just fallen and didn't make a noise.
    that'll always be my memory of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just in case you're thinking I've gone crazy... :D
    http://www.clubi.ie/mm/UnfIRXmasE.htm

Irish Examiner; Dec. 29, 1997:
    "HURRICANE Noelle" has brought double trouble for ESB network electrician Michael Keating whose own home has been wrecked by the high winds while he was out trying to help thousands of customers. Last night, approximately 1,250 homes were still without power.
    ""It's been absolute mayhem. The fellas are wrecked. It's been non-stop since around 1pm on Christmas Eve. Nobody has had a Christmas dinner and nobody has had a full night's sleep. We start at around 7am and most of us don't finish up until 11pm... Never did I think we'd be thrown in this deep."

For a minute there, I thought milk trolley was off his trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Ah yes I remember this but only because everyone in my school was a complete fool about things like this.

They sincerely thought that there was going to be a serious hurricane, as in cars flying through the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It was Christmas Eve. I was working in the Virgin Megastore in Cork. The power went a couple of times. Apparently slates were falling off roofs, traffic lights were spontaneously smashing, and the glass ceiling in Brown Thomas Patrick Street collapsed. I missed it all because it was so busy in the shop I didn't get a look outside. At home our chimney fell off and our TV aerial came with it. My gran's electricity went for days. Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Remember it well. I was just back from working in Galway, came home on xmas eve, was out on the lash with a mate and we were headed back to his house. Stopped to make a spliff in a secluded spot not realising just how windy it was....eventually got it made and got back to his house to be greeted by no feckin' electricity. Fortunately there was still drinking to do and we hunted up some candles.
    Belfast got an awful doing that night as did most of the North. Can't believe that's 10 yrs back...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Being in the newly opened Galway Bay Hotel, which didn't have any backup generators installed yet, so people got stuck in their hotel rooms when the electronic locks packed up, there was no entertainment, food was delayed, etc. One elderly woman had a minor heart attack due to the stress of being locked in the lift, and was carted away in an Ambulance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

That day all the water in our area stopped working. We have an old fashioned pump in the town and everyone was at it christmas day with whatever containers they could find bringing water home.
    It was great! Everyone had a great laugh at it and everyone who went to it spent ages at it chatting to the different families who were arriving all the time.

Happy times

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My power was grand. If i remember properly, that was the first year we had a PC in the house, so I got a saitek joystick for xmas, aswell as copies of quake and doom2

My pencil skirt blew up, in front of my grumpy boss who I always blushed around anyway....and couldn't be put down.
    The shame of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,070 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm more surprised anyone listened to CKR, to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I remember listening to Fanning's Fab 50 count down on a battery-powered radio in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I can't remember those storms in '97 but in '98 on St. Stephens day I clearly remember being in the pub with just candle-light as there was massively bad weather outside, power cuts all over the place and high winds as far as I remember. It was a great night. I was there with my first love.....so romantic :D Each loo had a little tea light on the back of it for us to snort our coke beside (j/k - no cocaine, just friends and a few drinks - was nice.....) Oh memories....

[edit - just looked it up - it seems the storm of Christmas Eve 1997 affected mainly sounthern counties and the storm in 1998 on St. Stephens Day was much worse but was mainly in the Weshhhht
    The Christmas Eve storm of 1997 generated 47,500 insurance claims totalling £45M while
    the St Stephen’s Day storm of 1998 is estimated to have cost the industry in excess of £100M
    (Irish Insurance Federation, 1999).
    Irish Geography,
    ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

We hadn't any power in wexford for Christmas day - certainly one of the more memorable Christmases

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i don't remember the storms of 1997 but i sure as hell remember the huge storm of Stephens Day 1998 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day_Storm

the place was a mess and we ended up having no electricity for about 5-6 days after, and then came the big freeze on Stephens day 1999 :eek: -12C

being from Donegal, my memory is from the 1998 one. It was made worse cause nobody in our house watched any news over xmas, so didn't know it was coming.

If it happened today, they'd blame Global Warming and make us pay a Hurricane tax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The 1998 stephens day storm was nothing compared to the Christmas eve storm of 1997. 1997 was really nasty. remember it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The 1998 stephens day storm was nothing compared to the Christmas eve storm of 1997. 1997 was really nasty. remember it well.

yeah nothing, 120 mph winds, the front part of the roof blew off our house, pieces of sheds the size of trucks were flying across the road near where we live

yeah nothing just another day :eek:

Considering both storms hit different parts of the country, of course you were only affected by one of them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rahenyguy

dub 13 i live in killbarrack and i dont rememvber it either and i was 17 when it happened so my guess is we were lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I remember it so well. My hubby and I had moved into our new shack house the day before. I was working that night, my husband told me he was going to the local pub for a couple of hours. There were a lot of accidents in A&E that night from trees falling on cars, and I got so worried about him but I couldn't contact him as we hadn't got a phone installed yet and there were no mobiles. However, I knew if he was in an accident he'd arrive at my workplace!
    As it happens, he didn't go out that night and he went to bed early because the electricity was out. But we had our electricity back by the time I got home at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't remember a thing.

I remember the ones in 85 and 86, but not the ones in 97 and 98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Terry wrote: »
    I don't remember a thing.

I remember the ones in 85 and 86, but not the ones in 97 and 98.
    So, enlighten us Terry - what happened to you in 85 and 86?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Massive thunder & lightening storms in 85 and 86 which haven't happened since, just so happens they occurred on the near exact dates that each year if my memory is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

we'd just gotten a big expensive GAA clubhouse built, i dont think it'd even been officially opened, and the storm ended up knocking loads of the tiles off the roof. there was a pretty good community effort at putting them all back up, which i found really impressive, particularly given the timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Ouh I remember that year..went down to my uncles for dinner as they had a gas oven. There was about 20 of us for dinner..luckily his daughters husband is a chef and used to having crowds,lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I was nine years old. Me and my brother spent a while shooting down Christmas cards with a toy gun that shoots plastic darts. Was so much fun.... Then remember my mam trying to boil water over the fire. Good times!

Weird twas so long ago.... I remember it really well!

Advertisement