Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dmcdream wrote: »
    Likewise, (non-Sky) UK Freesat boxes don't offer the channels 5-USA or 5-Star . These are only accessible through a Freesat-from-Sky receiver (with a viewing card.)
    Can't really help on the technical stuff, but the thinking is that 5 USA and 5 Star will go on freesat when 1N is in place, which if I recall correctly is within a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

Macy0161 wrote: »
    dmcdream wrote: »
    Likewise, (non-Sky) UK Freesat boxes don't offer the channels 5-USA or 5-Star . These are only accessible through a Freesat-from-Sky receiver (with a viewing card.)
    Can't really help on the technical stuff, but the thinking is that 5 USA and 5 Star will go on freesat when 1N is in place, which if I recall correctly is within a month or so.
    Astra 1N. Will be operational by the end of this month and c4 hd has already been confirmed check out the ses Facebook page. Also I have no solid source on the delay of sorsat the info was passed on to myself via a extremely reliable friend. We shall see in time

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

pretty sure i have the 5usa ect through the terrestrial platform as i have no sky installed i think they are fta on terestrial but card needed on astra

satwyn wrote: »
    pretty sure i have the 5usa ect through the terrestrial platform as i have no sky installed i think they are fta on terestrial but card needed on astra
    My intepretation was that dmcdream was going the combo route to retain non-Freesat channels 5USA and 5* via Freeview. Strong rumours suggest they'll go Freesat/ FTA on 1N (narrow beam) before the end of the year. So if I read it right, he wouldn't need to go combo. It might be my mistake though - wouldn't be the first time I've misread a post!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

The Cush wrote: »
    See post #1647 on the previous page.

And for those of a certain disposition... have a look at the time it was posted at...

...*Twilight Zone music*...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Reply to Dáil question last week which further confirms Saorsat will be ready to launch in early 2012. Previously stated in another Dáil question 2 weeks ago (post #1647) - http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/10/04/00280.asp#N2
    132. Deputy Michael Healy-Rae asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the position regarding Saorview in respect of an area (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [29373/11]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): Issues relating to television coverage in specific areas of the country are an operational matter for RTÉ. The Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for RTÉ to roll-out a digital TV network to the same extent as the analogue TV network. RTÉ has informed my Department that the current analogue TV network covers 98% of the population and that its new digital TV network called Saorview will also cover 98% of the population. RTÉ has developed a website providing information on the Saorview service including coverage information and this is available on its website www.saorview.ie.

In addition, RTÉ is planning to launch a new ’free-to-air’ satellite service to cover the remaining 2% of the population. RTÉ is not obliged to provide a satellite service and is doing so on its own initiative. It is my understanding that, once the satellite service has launched, it will mean that Ireland will have a national TV network covering 100% of the population, for the first time. RTÉ is currently testing the satellite service to check, inter alia, coverage and other issues and to ensure the availability of satellite receivers, once it launches. RTÉ considers that the service will be ready to launch in early 2012.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/10/13/00108.asp#N2

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

I'm looking at the various options in order to get rid of my large monthly contribution to SkyHD. I've been going through numerous threads over the past week or so and a lot of info. is floating around my head and I'm now trying to pin things down.
    I know that I can purchase a combo box such as the Ferguson Ariva 120 to receive both Saorview and Freesat and add on an external HD drive via usb to record etc.However I'm thinking that if Saorsat is available early next year I could purchase the more expensive Humax Foxsat box with it's internal harddrive which would allow me all the functionality of a pvr and also have all the rte(including rte2 HD) and tv3 stations. Am I correct in this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I don't think it's 100% clear that TV3 will be on Saorsat.
    If RTE want them to pay to be on it, I would guess they may well say no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

MarkK wrote: »

I thought Saorsat was to be an duplicate platform to Saorview as a fill-in service primarily aimed at people who cannot get Saorview due to lack of signal, due to windfarms, high buildings, geography out of reach etc.

MarkK wrote: »
    I could definitely live without it (whatever about my wife:rolleyes:) but it's the rte channels I'm more concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stinicker wrote: »
    I thought Saorsat was to be an duplicate platform to Saorview as a fill-in service primarily aimed at people who cannot get Saorview due to lack of signal, due to windfarms, high buildings, geography out of reach etc.

TV3, TG4 etc may well decide not be to carried on it. Especially if it can be received in large parts of western UK.

If so then various sports, acquired programming and even home produced programmming on RTE will have to be blocked also. Leaving not much of a service.

I've no doubt TG4 will be on it as a state funded public service channel. TV3/3e we don't know because no details of the service have been released yet.

Thanks for the replies, guys.So I may as well wait for Saorsat to get of the ground and then I'll have the rte stations at least also on a Freesat PVR like the Humax?

Brian P wrote: »
    So I may as well wait for Saorsat to get of the ground and then I'll have the rte stations at least also on a Freesat PVR like the Humax?

I'm not sure how flexible the Freesat spec Humax will be with Saorsat, we'll just have to wait until the service launches.

copacetic wrote: »
    TV3, TG4 etc may well decide not be to carried on it. Especially if it can be received in large parts of western UK.

If so then various sports, acquired programming and even home produced programmming on RTE will have to be blocked also. Leaving not much of a service.
    is it true that the signal can be received in large parts of western uk i have made some tests here in north westrern wales with good results using 1.2m dish but afaik not many have tried as the KA band lnbs are not readily available

copacetic wrote: »

Won't it depend on how far inland (especially compared to terrestrial overspill), and how easy it is to receive? I'm not sure that many people will be bothered getting a 1 metre plus and a seperate lnb for what will be on offer.

Plus, if it's not effective as a replacment for RTE infill transmitters, it makes no sense for them to pursue it (whatever about whether TV3 want to be on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

That`s very true the saorsat signal can be picked up as far,as Cardiff in South East Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

satwyn wrote: »
    is it true that the signal can be received in large parts of western uk i have made some tests here in north westrern wales with good results using 1.2m dish but afaik not many have tried as the KA band lnbs are not readily available

But is the French carrier on same frequency on yet?

Nothing will be blocked and it will be a copy of Saorview as they are going to use it as a backup feed for all sites.

But obviously they are in no hurry (as long as it's before ASO?). Maybe something else will be on Ka-sat by early 2012 making UK reception more difficult?

Limited overspill exists on Terrestrial. Some overspill to parts of Wales, Cornwall and maybe Devon was always likely. It's not a significant number of viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

So it won't work for us in London? I've acces to a 3.6 moveable dish..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That big a dish (3.6m) on Ka-band is almost like 7m on Ku. For a start you need elevation motor running 24x7 and maybe full tracking.

But it's not likely to work anyway. The Ka-Sat achieves capacity by re-using the same polarisation and frequency combinations on different spots. It's not like trying to pick up Astra 2D in Austria or Cyprus with a giant dish.

See http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/saorsat-reception/
    and
    http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/saorsat-coverage

The reason RTE are able to use Ka-Sat without encryption is BECAUSE reception in most of Britian isn't possible. The North East UK spot as well as the French Calais may both be on same combination of band and polarisation.

• Advertisement

3.6m dish in london it may well work (for now)it depends on other spot beams being used if i'm correct the english spot beam will be on the same frequency or even the french not sure if they are even active at this point give it a go would be interesting to know the results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Will do it's a move able dish so I'll work it out next week..

you will need the KA band lnb to cover frequency 20.185L and any mpeg 4 receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

I've heard from ? that saorsat should be up and running before christmas,
    RTE1,RTE2,TNG, not confirmed about TV3 yet, :D

Receivers around march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

ISAA wrote: »

Receivers around march.

And, more importantly, Ka lnbs?

excollier wrote: »
    And, more importantly, Ka lnbs?

As stated March,

a L,N,B is a receiving device,

also, a number of suppliers will have TV's that will have saorsat built in, and official saorview combo boxes for DTT+sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Receivers around march.

So is there a certification process, or are they working with one or more particular manufacturers?

A number of suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

As stated March,
    a L,N,B is a receiving device,
    also, a number of suppliers will have TV's that will have saorsat built in, and official saorview combo boxes for DTT+sat.
    Well, most people refer to a receiver as the box of tricks that sits below your tv and turns the selected frequency from the lnb into something that the tv can show as a picture and sound.
    Getting an affordable Ka lnb is more important than a "Saorsat" branded stb. There are plenty of capable DVB S2 receivers (sorry, stbs) available, without the branding

• Advertisement

Will they be multi-satellite capable i.e. DiSEqC switching I wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement