Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just to Clarify. The DirecTV LNB is working 100% and seems very sensitive. Besides it's heavy weight and non-standard mounting, it's simply a matter of lining up and performing a blind scan on a HD sat box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 New Haven

I'm using a Protek 9750hd ip set top box at the moment. (aka Nanoxx). I'm not tech minded. Will this box be suitable for Saorsat if I get a correct lnb fitted to my dish? Current dish is 100cm with room for up to 5 LNBs.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If it is a DVB-S2 spec receiver, then yes, it should work with Saorsat.
    If you can receive Channel 4HD and BBC HD/BBC1 HD, then you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

zg3409 wrote: »
    Just to Clarify. The DirecTV LNB is working 100% and seems very sensitive. Besides it's heavy weight and non-standard mounting, it's simply a matter of lining up and performing a blind scan on a HD sat box.
    had the signal working for some months using a hughes ka band lnb on andrews 1.2m dish been looking at this lnb on e bay item no 160651347231 apparently new model just wondering if this is the correct one to use

>ebay item no 160651347231

Yes this seems fine but:
    >This auction is only for the US.

Do not bid until you get confirmed postage costs.

The seller also mentions:
    >Also I will include a multiswitch 6X8 as a gift.

Which is probably not what you want as postage will be even more.

I suggest picking one with shipping to EU listed. PM me if unsure and I will check it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Better still wait a month or so and get one designed for the Irish Market at less than the US postage.

A lot of the Ka stuff on Ebay is pinched or broken pay TV or VSAT gear. I'd not take the risk for something that is going to be worthless by the time you get it.

My last USA order took 22 days to come (not satellite gear :) ). It was ordered end of August 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

An Irish supplier listing 40mm Ka lnbs at €49 arriving October.
    A bit much I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

excollier wrote: »
    An Irish supplier listing 40mm Ka lnbs at €49 arriving October.
    A bit much I think.

They are pretty niche items given the difficulty in finding one beforehand and the market will be quite small I suppose, however if it gives me RTÉ FTA without the breakup associated with my crappy Saorview reception then I'm all for it, and they should surely have a few years life in them so I'd be happy to pay it.

I read before that Saorsat will be on the one transponder? This should mean that the cable coming from the LNB could be split to serve several satellite boxes from the one cable feed? Or would a Quad KA-Sat LNB be needed with an individual cable to each box like for Sky+? My questioning is because right now there is 8 channels and I am wondering how many channels could RTÉ fit onto one transponder before they'd need a second rendering the split cable redundant.
    Astro7 wrote: »
    Test cards and HD loop back on the Ka Sat.
    Testing today with a 40cm round dish.
    Sig. 77% Quality 78% ( Cloudy )

No actual TV yet then? How channels you receiving?

It should be possible to split it - you won't need multiple polarisations or 22 kHz switching.

Karsini wrote: »
    It should be possible to split it - you won't need multiple polarisations or 22 kHz switching.

Yeah but I'm just thinking into the future if more TV stations gets launched or goes in HD that they may not have transponder space which would mean you'd be missing a few channels, eg. I have a Technomate FTA box with my Freesat TV connected via the loopthrough and if the Technomate is switched on at say BBC1 I can only watch BBC1 or similar stations on the same transponder on the Freesat TV. Just want to avoid this sort of scenario in future!

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yeah but I'm just thinking into the future if more TV stations gets launched or goes in HD that they may not have transponder space which would mean you'd be missing a few channels, eg. I have a Technomate FTA box with my Freesat TV connected via the loopthrough and if the Technomate is switched on at say BBC1 I can only watch BBC1 or similar stations on the same transponder on the Freesat TV. Just want to avoid this sort of scenario in future!

Well the Irish Ka Sat beam only uses one wide transponder which can contain multiple carriers and multiplexes. The transponder is left hand circular polarised, which does away with the need for polarity switching, and it also isn't > 1.3 GHz wide which would mean you don't need 22 kHz switching either. :)

>No actual TV yet then? How channels you receiving?

Yes NO ACTUAL TV. Just test cards and test loops. I think it's about 5 channels at the moment on one transponder.

Regarding your question on transponders etc and splitting YOU CAN SPLIT THE CABLE. Even if RTENL have 3 or 4 transponders with 30 channels all channels will all be the EXACT same polarisation. As mentioned by Karsini ALL transponders are same polarisation. There is no 13/18V for polarisation.

So basically you can fit a splitter or multiple splitters. Splitters will need to pass power.

Quad KA-Sat LNB will NOT be needed. You will need external splitters and DiSEqc switches if you want to have one LNB for BBC FreeSat and one LNB for SaorSAT (RTE)

For recording you will still need a receiver with two tuners if you want to watch one channel and record another, unless both channels happen to be on the same transponder.

Quad KA-Sat LNB's probably won't be available anyway for this reason. This will make setup cheaper and simpler.

If you have a multi-lnb multiswitch you only need one input port. No need to spilt LNB. Which means if there is a 5th satellite with one combination of H/V & L/H not important, you can put the Ka-LNBF for Saorsat on that port and have five satellites on a 4 way in 16 out multiswitch. I tested this once with 16E ku and a C band LNBF.

Ka-Sat Irish spot will never need polarity or band switching, The other three band and polarity combinations are on other adjacent spots as no two adjacent Ka-Sat spots use the same band and polarity.

176538.JPG

176539.JPG

176540.JPG

I will be doing a live demo of SaorSAT Reception at South Dublin Radio Club in Rathfarnham this Tuesday 4th of October at 8PM using the above 40cm dish. All welcome. Free for visitors with tea/coffee and biscuits.

http://www.southdublinradioclub.ie for directions

I noticed signal quality dropped from 76% to 12% and signal froze today during very, very heavy rain.

Off topic I will also be talking about a new Amateur TV station (repeater) for Dublin which should be on air before X-mas broadcasting live analogue feeds on 2390Mhz (2.39GHz) and on 10.060 GHz. The 10Ghz signals can be picked up using modified LNBs and analogue Sat Receivers. Coverage will be Dublin city only. More info on the night and I will start a seperate topic when on air.

PS Thanks to Astro7 for the engineering mount on the dish. It's very sturdy and seems to keep the LNB in focus. It was a sinch to point as beamwidth is so wide from small dish

I heard a reliable rumour that "they" recommend a 65cm dish. Likely this for reasonable rain margin and also drop in TX power possible with age. Sky being commercial and paying for dish picked a compromise. Their 65cm is a bit small for many parts of Ireland and the 45cm a little small in Western/Northern places in Britain where it gets installed. RTE is not going to suggest a "compromise" as cheap as possible size. Reliable long term reception in Fringe areas is the whole point of Saorsat.

So for dual feed Freesat/Saorsat likely 80cm to 110cm depending if in most of Ireland or on North/South Western fringes (28.2/28.5) a lot weaker.

Hope your demo goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Hi lads just wondering about the Saorview box. My aerial at home picks up the Rte channels perfect but I get a blurred vision reception for Tv3 and TG4. If I get the new box will it pick up these channels or do I also need a new aerial? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hi lads just wondering about the Saorview box. My aerial at home picks up the Rte channels perfect but I get a blurred vision reception for Tv3 and TG4. If I get the new box will it pick up these channels or do I also need a new aerial? Thanks.

Quick answer - If you receive TV3 you should receive the Saorview channels but an aerial upgrade may be required.

Post the question over in the terrestrial forum with a pic of your existing aerial for a more comprehensive answer.

This thread is about Saorsat a totally different broadcasting platform and technology to Saorview.

Saorview which is the Digital Terrestrial Service for Ireland works over the airwaves and can be received by an aerial and set-top box or most moderns tvs.

Saorsat is a satellite broadcasting system which will broadcast the exact same thing as saorview and is designed to "fill in the gaps" where Saorview cannot reach, it will not be operational to the consumer until 2012 presumably.

For Saorview as you describe it sounds like you are currently receiving RTE1 and RTE2 on Analogue and these are broadcast on the VHF band and use a VHF aerial for their reception, this will not work for Saorview unless you have a UHF aerial already that you might have been using for TV3 and TG4.

Mods, I suggest you demerge the ops post and my reply to it into a new thread of its own over on the Terrestrial forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Stinicker wrote: »

This thread is about Saorsat a totally different broadcasting platform and technology to Saorview.

Saorview which is the Digital Terrestrial Service for Ireland works over the airwaves and can be received by an aerial and set-top box or most moderns tvs.

Saorsat is a satellite broadcasting system which will broadcast the exact same thing as saorview and is designed to "fill in the gaps" where Saorview cannot reach, it will not be operational to the consumer until 2012 presumably.

For Saorview as you describe it sounds like you are currently receiving RTE1 and RTE2 on Analogue and these are broadcast on the VHF band and use a VHF aerial for their reception, this will not work for Saorview unless you have a UHF aerial already that you might have been using for TV3 and TG4.

Mods, I suggest you demerge the ops post and my reply to it into a new thread of its own over on the Terrestrial forum. :)
    Oops sorry folks.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I will be doing a live demo of SaorSAT Reception at South Dublin Radio Club in Rathfarnham this Tuesday 4th of October at 8PM using the above 40cm dish. All welcome. Free for visitors with tea/coffee and biscuits.

http://www.southdublinradioclub.ie for directions
    I'll be there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Apogee

Ciara Conway (Waterford, Labour)
    Question 398: To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources regarding Saorview coverage in the Comeragh area in County Waterford including Kilmacthomas, if he will advise on status of Saorsat, which the Saorview website describes as being in the process of being developed to provide coverage to any coverage black spots such as Kilmacthomas County Waterford; and the measures he will take in the near future to provide television services to this, and other rural areas. [27271/11]

Pat Rabbitte (Minister, Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources; Dublin South West, Labour)
    Issues relating to television coverage is specific areas of the country are an operational matter for RTÉ. The Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for RTÉ to rollout a digital TV network to the same extent as the analogue TV network. RTÉ has informed my Department that the current analogue TV network covers 98% of the population and that its new digital TV network called Saorview will also cover 98% of the population. RTÉ has developed a website providing information on the Saorview service including coverage information and this is available on its website .

In addition, RTÉ is planning to launch a new satellite service to cover the remaining 2% of the population. RTÉ is not obliged to provide a satellite service and is doing so as a commercial venture. It is my understanding that, once the satellite service has launched, it will mean that Ireland will have a national TV network covering 100% of the population, for the first time.

RTÉ is currently testing the satellite service to check, inter alia, coverage and other issues and to ensure the availability of satellite receivers, once it launches. RTÉ considers that the service will be ready to launch in early 2012.

Usual ráiméis from DCENR, but timeline has apparently slipped from late 2011 to early 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Is there no Ireland only spot beam on 1N? Pity, RTÉ could have went on that and saved the hassle of customers having to get seperate dishes and boxes if they wanted to get the service.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Is there no Ireland only spot beam on 1N? Pity, RTÉ could have went on that and saved the hassle of customers having to get seperate dishes and boxes if they wanted to get the service.

They still would have needed a separate LNB at the very least. It's not possible to have a spot beam that small on Ku band, hence the switch to Ka band.

Even on Ka band there isn't a spot small enough. It's the frequency/Polarisation reuse of multiple spot beams that makes the Ka-Sat feasible for "in the clear" regional broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

Hi,

Could someone suggest an appropriate DiSEqC Switch for the following set up:

110cm dish with following LNBs on a multifeed bracket:

LNB 1 = Eurobird 1 @ 28.5°E + Astra 2 @ 28.2°E
    LNB 2 = Hotbird @ 13.0° East
    LNB 3 = Eurobird 9A @ 9.0° East ('Ka Sat')

All LNBs to be received on 2 set top boxes.

I'm not too au fait with DiSEqC switching, and would be grateful of any help.

Cheers!

dmcdream wrote: »
    Could someone suggest an appropriate DiSEqC Switch for the following set up

I've used the Global 4x1 DiSEqC switches for years - http://www.globalinvacom.com/products/diseq4.php

2 required for 2 receivers, twin output LNBs required at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

Hi,

Could someone suggest an appropriate DiSEqC Switch for the following set up:

110cm dish with following LNBs on a multifeed bracket:

LNB 1 = Eurobird 1 @ 28.5°E + Astra 2 @ 28.2°E
    LNB 2 = Hotbird @ 13.0° East
    LNB 3 = Eurobird 9A @ 9.0° East ('Ka Sat')

All LNBs to be received on 2 set top boxes.

I'm not too au fait with DiSEqC switching, and would be grateful of any help.

Cheers!

If you order the switches i can help you with the set-up.
    13°east as you prime focus lnb
    9° as your second lnb
    28.2° as your third lnb, all lnb's need to output's with all cables going into the switch so port1=13 port2=9 port3=28 and then a single cable to the box and set it up mirroring the switch using diseqc 1.0.

saying all that m8 the 28.2° will be weak even on a 110cm dish as you are at the max of separation this install isnt easy in anyway but i have done loads of them so as i said i can give you a hand if needed. pm me for contact or just post away.

the last thing to point out is are you using 9east for soarsat?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

With special thanks to The Cush and chris76 for their advice! ;)

My aim is to source all the relevant equipment for the job, and then get an experienced installer to physically put it together.

I am going to be using the following Televés kit for this project:
    • 110cm Off-Set Satellite Dish
    • x2 Quad Ku-Band LNBs
    • x1 Ka-Band LNB (Duo model as minimum preferably)*
    * (User Excollier has very kindly advised me of an Irish satellite store which are going to have "official" Ka-Band LNBs (i.e. non-Tooway, HughesNet or DirecTV workarounds) for sale - developed especially for Ka-Band TV transmissions!) Confirmation of whether these LNBs are duo, quad etc is not available just yet.
    RECEIVER - Triax ST HD 537 Combo Set-Top Box [X2]

Installation Materials:
    • x1 set of 18" TK Brackets
    • x6 Shield Anchor Loose Bolts (10mm)
    • x2 U-Bolts [37mm]
    • x4 Cable Grommets
    We currently have a chimney mounted Group C/D and Group A UHF antenna. These receive RTÉ analogue transmissions from Clermont Carn, and UK terrestrial Freeview from Divis respectfully.

As the set top box I've chosen is a combo model (and I'm getting 2 remember), it's my aim to have 2 feeds from the Group A antenna in to the boxes, along with the satellite dish feed. I will continue to have the Group C/D UHF antenna connected directly to 1 TV set, until RTÉ analogue ceases in 2012.

The reason I want reception of Astra 2 @ 28.2°E, is that it offers channels that aren't currently accessible on UK terrestrial Freeview. Likewise, (non-Sky) UK Freesat boxes don't offer the channels 5-USA or 5-Star . These are only accessible through a Freesat-from-Sky receiver (with a viewing card.)

*I'd be grateful for any advice, hints or tips anyone has about my installation plan; and likewise the kit I intend to use!* smile.gif

Regards,
    dmcdream

chris76 wrote: »
    If you order the switches i can help you with the set-up.
    13°east as you prime focus lnb
    9° as your second lnb
    28.2° as your third lnb, all lnb's need to output's with all cables going into the switch so port1=13 port2=9 port3=28 and then a single cable to the box and set it up mirroring the switch using diseqc 1.0.

saying all that m8 the 28.2° will be weak even on a 110cm dish as you are at the max of separation this install isnt easy in anyway but i have done loads of them so as i said i can give you a hand if needed. pm me for contact or just post away.

the last thing to point out is are you using 9east for soarsat?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chris76

That all look's good dmcdream

But im thinking the soarview will be available in belfast once the signal is turned up enough after the new year,there is people in ballymena getting it now.Also the soarsat service has been delyed again until the 2nd quater of 2012 and i dont think you will get your hands on a double Ka lnb for a while. anyway im an independent satellite installer and in my opinion there is better methods of doing this m8.i will pm you my number for a chat

With special thanks to The Cush and chris76 for their advice! ;)

My aim is to source all the relevant equipment for the job, and then get an experienced installer to physically put it together.

I am going to be using the following Televés kit for this project:
    • 110cm Off-Set Satellite Dish
    • x2 Quad Ku-Band LNBs
    • x1 Ka-Band LNB (Duo model as minimum preferably)*
    * (User Excollier has very kindly advised me of an Irish satellite store which are going to have "official" Ka-Band LNBs (i.e. non-Tooway, HughesNet or DirecTV workarounds) for sale - developed especially for Ka-Band TV transmissions!) Confirmation of whether these LNBs are duo, quad etc is not available just yet.
    RECEIVER - Triax ST HD 537 Combo Set-Top Box [X2]

Installation Materials:
    • x1 set of 18" TK Brackets
    • x6 Shield Anchor Loose Bolts (10mm)
    • x2 U-Bolts [37mm]
    • x4 Cable Grommets
    We currently have a chimney mounted Group C/D and Group A UHF antenna. These receive RTÉ analogue transmissions from Clermont Carn, and UK terrestrial Freeview from Divis respectfully.

As the set top box I've chosen is a combo model (and I'm getting 2 remember), it's my aim to have 2 feeds from the Group A antenna in to the boxes, along with the satellite dish feed. I will continue to have the Group C/D UHF antenna connected directly to 1 TV set, until RTÉ analogue ceases in 2012.

The reason I want reception of Astra 2 @ 28.2°E, is that it offers channels that aren't currently accessible on UK terrestrial Freeview. Likewise, (non-Sky) UK Freesat boxes don't offer the channels 5-USA or 5-Star . These are only accessible through a Freesat-from-Sky receiver (with a viewing card.)

*I'd be grateful for any advice, hints or tips anyone has about my installation plan; and likewise the kit I intend to use!* smile.gif

Regards,
    dmcdream

• Advertisement

dmm1000 wrote: »
    really ? - have you got firm evidence of this ?

See post #1647 on the previous page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement