Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Cook Book/Recipe/Food-related Site?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I got this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eleven-Madison-Park-The-Cookbook/dp/0316098515 recently. Stunning book and my fav at the mo. Never really seen food like it before. You'll be stacking your fish fingers all artsy and doing a spoon-smear of ketchup after flicking through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

http://thefirehouse.ie/

The chef/baker behind the great baking book 'Bread Revolution' (and BBC TV show 'The Big Bread Experiment'), Patrick Ryan, has set up a cookery school on a lovely island in West Cork using a wood-fired oven.

bread-revolution.jpg

Full disclosure: Paddy is a good friend of mine, and an amazing chef. Last time I was down I had some amazing sourdough bread with a dinner of 12-hour wood fired pork belly, and a strawberry/elderflower tart for desert.
    Next morning awoke to lovely breakfast of fresh coffee with just-out-of-the-oven croissants, pain au chocolat, and an a tough to describe delicious Danish pastry with a maple syrup type of sauce.
    Needless to say, I rolled off the island.

If you liked the sound of any of the above, check out the website, and thank me later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just bought some new cookery books (like i need anymore! I think I have an obsession with them!)

Good Housekeeping Cookery Book - looks good - plenty of recipes and variety
    Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days - OMG the recipes in this look divine! I've only made the vanilla cupcakes so far but they were the nicest cupcakes I have made - so moist and fluffy and still as fresh the next day - normally when I make cupcakes they're nearly stale the next day.
    Primrose Bakery Book - lovely book also with plenty of scrummy baking recipes!
    Donal Skehan - his new book, looks ok, have his last book and that's good, haven't really looked at the new one too much but looking forward to giving some recipes a try:)

I can't believe how many cookbooks I actually have now - can't wait to get my own house and I'll be cooking up a storm!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Im especially looking forward to Tom Kitchin's new book "Kitchin's Suppers"

Also Nigel Slater has a new book out soon.

Will have to clear out a few of the old ones methinks:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What's a lot when it comes to cookbooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Jamie Oliver's ministry of food book is excellent for the simpler end of cooking. Everything from omelettes to curries to roast dinners. I have loads of higher end cookbooks but I keep going back to this one again and again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I did a quick search in this thread with out luck; I'm on the search for something less mainstream I guess.

I want a purely vegeterian soup only cookbook and it should not be some extreme style (i.e. Asian only etc.) but rather easy, down to earth day to day type of soups :)

I got Love Soup by Anna Thomas on my list as it's highly recommended on Amazon but are there any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I have no idea how many people actually hunt in Ireland (this is a Sacramento, CA, USA based writer), or, more importantly, have access to game, but I know you fish and forage, and Hank Shaw, a hero of mine, covers all three, honestly and thoroughly.

He's equally writer, hunter, fisherman, forager and, above all, exquisite chef.

Much to learn here, but if you don't get any of your food in the wild, it's one of those sites you may come to love for it's all around quality.

http://honest-food.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nody wrote: »
    I did a quick search in this thread with out luck; I'm on the search for something less mainstream I guess.

I want a purely vegeterian soup only cookbook and it should not be some extreme style (i.e. Asian only etc.) but rather easy, down to earth day to day type of soups :)

I got Love Soup by Anna Thomas on my list as it's highly recommended on Amazon but are there any other suggestions?

Have you tried asking in the Vegan & Vegetarian forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

For Monday - Thursday family meals I can highly recommend Catherine Fulvio's Family Kitchen. I use it every week and in particular the Speedy Suppers section. Great book.

I have Jamie's 30 minute meals, and whilst some of the dishes are great, the ingredients required for a lot of them, make them weekend affairs (as long as I can ditch the kids with Mrs Loire and take off into the English Market!).

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Ive been using 'how to cook the perfect.....' weekly column from the Guardian. It's available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sparky100

I am looking for some recommendations of very good Receipe Books

I want something that mixes some nice traditional receipes with some receipes also for entertaining guests or family at home. I also have a young family so I would like to start cooking/baking a lot more and give them taste for it too.

I don't mind if it is 1 or 2 books that would suit me.

One I did view recently was Rachel Allens Entertaining At Home - Any views on it, Thanks

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Sparky100 wrote: »
    I am looking for some recommendations of very good Receipe Books

I want something that mixes some nice traditional receipes with some receipes also for entertaining guests or family at home. I also have a young family so I would like to start cooking/baking a lot more and give them taste for it too.

I don't mind if it is 1 or 2 books that would suit me.

One I did view recently was Rachel Allens Entertaining At Home - Any views on it, Thanks

"Step by Step cookbook" by Good Housekeeping. It has a huge variety of recipes as well as instructions on different ways of preparing, cooking and serving food. It's my absolutely favourite cookbook of all time. It's usually about €50 but it's currently on bookdepository.co.uk for about €24 with free postage. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

Hi guys, my girlfriend is going back to college to study culinary arts she loves cooking and baking so i was thinking of getting her a french cook book for christmas, Can anyone recommend a good book? id be very gratefull for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Marco Pierre Whites "White Heat" and nothing even compares to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Marco Pierre Whites "White Heat" and nothing even compares to it.

Amazon prices:

3 new from £39.99 7 used from £57.98

That sound right? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bookwise I'm a big fan of Larousse Gastronomique which is basically the bible of French food and The Silver Spoon, which is basically the bible of Italian food.

If you have both of them on your shelf, you will never have a problem finding something to cook!

Website wise I like the lads at sortedfood.com, lots of recipes on the site and a ton of videos on youtube.
    I also like the "Food Wishes" youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

On the book side I think I would probably go with Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookery Course. My Dad bought it for me last year and it has been a God-send as she has literally got everything you can think of in there!

LaRousse Gastronomique is also another great one but is very heavy for the kitchen and not something you'd want to get food over while cooking!

On the website side, I have a folder of goodies in http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/ which has an amazing selection of alternative recipes for the one dish - great to read through and then create your own version.

What is your go-to cook book and/or website and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bookwise its Delia Smiths complete cookery course.

Website wise, its www.google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

my favourite website is ukfood.co.uk
    Favourite cookbook depends on my mood really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

BBC Good Food is my go-to. There are so many content farmed sites out there with no photos or reviews of the recipe, at least on there everything is well photographed and you can read users' opinions and suggested tweaks.

I also like the search functionality. If I'm trying to cut weight I can easily search by calories and find low cal versions of my favourite meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I rarely use my collection of cookery books these days, they're all just gathering dust on a shelf in the kitchen. Like someone said, Google and/or BBC GF is effectively my cookery book these days, and even then I rarely follow one single recipe but take an 'average' of all the different ones I find, usually because at least one has some overly complicated and largely unnecessary ingredient or step in it, or else I just don't have the ingredients to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The Silver Spoon (can be a bit unweildy) or Nigel Slater's Appetite (perfect to give you a start in cooking great tasting food) for cookbooks

BBC website

• Registered Users Posts: 27 blurch

website www.saveur.com or bbc.
    Book the silver spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It has to be Delia Smiths Complete Cookery Course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC Food and Guardian food. This has also been excellent http://www.noshanduttertosh.blogspot.ie/

Advertisement