Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

If Federer somehow makes it by this (which at the moment looks unlikely) he'll lose against Raonic playing like this.

Goooood is this Anderson or Jesus Christ playing.

Watch Federer get broken here after that game. :(

Phew. Nevermind me, I'm in bits here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If Federer somehow makes it by this (which at the moment looks unlikely) he'll lose against Raonic playing like this.

Hopefully not, the tournament needs Federer in the final.

He has woken up

Federer hasn't broken Anderson's serve since midway through the second set. He'll have to completely refocus or KA to have a shocker. Hopefully both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,149 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hopefully not, the tournament needs Federer in the final.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

josip wrote: »
    Why?

Because it is clashing with the World Cup Final. Don't think Djokovic V Anderson or Nadal V Raonic is going to put up much of a fight against that!!

Why?
    Better than Botnic or Botner surely. :rolleyes:

That could be very costly

Heart is in my mouth.

Also devastated to see Delpo lose the first set.

• Advertisement

Think he will break him now

Disaster.
    Federer was serving very well in that set, 89% of points won on first serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

GOAT my arse!

walshb wrote: »
    GOAT my arse!

He's almost 37!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What a comeback.

A giant beats a giant of tennis.

Edit: A pathetic Wimbledon crowd gives a muted round of applause after the best match of the tournament. I really hope England loose tonight.

Is that the last time we see Federer on a court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    He's almost 37!

I was joking...........

You of all people should have know that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Federer hasn't played anywhere near last year's level in 2018. I think we may have seen him win his last slam in Melbourne in January.

AllForIt wrote: »
    What a comeback.

A giant beats a giant of tennis.

Edit: A pathetic Wimbledon crowd gives a muted round of applause after the best match of the tournament. I really hope England loose tonight.

Well they are obviously disappointed ,Federer is the crowd favourite .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kevin saving us a Fedal final :cool: Now needs to save us Isner getting to the final if Raonic can't.

What a moment for Anderson though, could possibly make his second grand slam final inside a year, nobody would've thought that was possible this time a year ago.

• Advertisement

Is that the last time we see Federer on a court?

I doubt it. If he’s still enjoying it, and the family are on board and he’s not doing himself any long term damage, why would he quit? He’ll be retired long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The reaction of the Federer cult on social media is embarrassing! Blaming Wimbledon for putting him on Court 1! Some of them are pathetic and just cannot accept that their guy was beaten by a better player on the day. I hope (and seriously doubt) we have seen the last of Fed, but I am not going to miss his fans one bit.

The reaction of the Federer cult on social media is embarrassing! Blaming Wimbledon for putting him on Court 1! Some of them are pathetic and just cannot accept that their guy was beaten by a better player on the day. I hope (and seriously doubt) we have seen the last of Fed, but I am not going to miss his fans one bit.

Reading menstennisforums? Most posters are clowns over there. Fed fans, Nadal fans, Djokovic fans. It’s a big school ground. Really better off not reading that sh1te.

Might want to double check your post. Sounds like you want Fed gone!

As a Federer fan and a staunch anti-Rafa man, I’m gutted with today’s result.

However at the start of the tournament I got Djokovic at 11/2 and Nadal at 6/1.

Money money money!!

Reading menstennisforums? Most posters are clowns over there. Fed fans, Nadal fans, Djokovic fans. It’s a big school ground. Really better off not reading that sh1te.

Yeah that place is pretty toxic ,almost as bad as the soccer forum on here in some regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Might want to double check your post. Sounds like you want Fed gone!
    No, just seen a few comments on Twitter (mainly fans replying to various journalists). There is a serious cult there, no denying that, I find Fed fans a lot more vociferous than Nadal/Djokovic fans.
    In relation to Fed being gone, that's no bad thing for Wimbledon, but I certainly do not want him to retire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gutted he lost. Would love djoko to win it out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Pretty sound of the organisers to move the final to Friday to avoid a clash with the WC final.

Pretty sound of the organisers to move the final to Friday to avoid a clash with the WC final.

I only got five hours sleep last night so it took me a few seconds to get the joke :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

2nd set to Delpo! Nadal had chances to win it but couldn't convert. Going on serve in the 3rd. Really hope Delpo wins!!!

RosyLily wrote: »
    Really hope Delpo wins!!!

I think everyone would love to see him win it .
    The last of the swashbucklers.

Two sets to one to Delpo now .

I know nothing about tennis but suspect that Djokovic would prefer to play Nadal in the semi rather than del Potro?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Great hold for del potro to make it 2_1 in the last. Hope he wins this, he played a cracker of a semi with Djokovic here a few years ago that I wouldn't mind seeing a reprise of.

Both players only playing well in patches, whomever wins will have to step it up a bit to beat Djokovic

On the Federer match, I didn't want him to win but ( for maybe the first time in a long time) am kinda sad he lost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Nadal wins another epic but real winner is Djokovic I think sitting back with his feet up

• Advertisement

Too many mis-hits and slips by Delpo at the wrong time. Gutted and sickened.

That final set was really fantastic.
    If Del Potro had won I would heavily favour Djokovic in the semi, but playing 5 sets won't knock as much out of Nadal. I'd still make Djokovic favourite however

paulie21 wrote: »
    Nadal wins another epic but real winner is Djokovic I think sitting back with his feet up

I don't think you can sit back in one of those egg things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Too many mis-hits and slips by Delpo at the wrong time. Gutted and sickened.

Falling over and ending up with your face in the grass over and over never ends well.
    Grass court tennis is very demanding and really over the last 50 years only a few men have won Wimbledon and I think this is as good as it will get for Del Porto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic is looking good. I bet he is licking his lips at the thought of putting Nadal out and winning the competition and giving one to those who jeered him the other day.

Cant believe one of Anderson and Isner are going to be in a slam final.

• Advertisement

Oh ffs Isner is gonna make his first slam final isn't he :(
    Hoping Anderson can take the title, but I know that's probably not going to happen.

Kerber or Ostapenko for the women's side please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Think Anderson will take Isner. Being honest, had him down as a bottler so hugely encouraged by that last set performance and surely beating Federer, even a bit sub par Fed, has to give him belief he can not just make a final but win it too. Comes across as a nice bloke too so happy enough to see him win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If Nadal wants to catch Federer's slam count, this is his best opportunity to really eat into that gap. If Djokovic continues to improve, he'll be unstoppable at the US, this is Nadal's best opportunity to beat him.

If Nadal wants to catch Federer's slam count, this is his best opportunity to really eat into that gap. If Djokovic continues to improve, he'll be unstoppable at the US, this is Nadal's best opportunity to beat him.
    Nadal won't win against this Djokovic, unless Novak forgets how he's played during the week. Nole is better in every facet of the game that Nadal possesses bar one or two areas. The only reason Rafa stands a chance is that there's been a heatwave and the grass is working like dry dirt because of lack of ground moisture so the ball is bouncing high into his strike zone ala clay courts. His best attribute is high consistency, not outstanding skill or dynamism.
    walshb wrote: »
    I was joking...........

You of all people should have know that...
    Who's the greatest tennis player then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Nadal won't win against this Djokovic, unless Novak forgets how he's played during the week. Nole is better in every facet of the game that Nadal possesses bar one or two areas. The only reason Rafa stands a chance is that there's been a heatwave and the grass is working like dry dirt because of lack of ground moisture so the ball is bouncing high into his strike zone ala clay courts. His best attribute is high consistency, not outstanding skill or dynamism.

I'm not saying he will, be he'll definitely have no chance at the US if Novak improves further. He at least has some chance here, he's got to make the most of it.
    Who's the greatest tennis player then?

Not to speak on another posters behalf, but he's regularly stated Federer is the GOAT due to accolades won.

I've a question for you, if Nadal does surpass Federer's slam count, will you then regard him as the GOAT, or will overall slam count no longer matter in determining the GOAT "because because because....this and that...clay....other mitigating factors"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I’ve been a del Potro fan since this time 5 years ago against Novak in the SF.
    Realy thought he had a chance here but, I get so mad when he gets chances and doesn’t convert them. Great match to watch all the same, but I wish I didn’t get so emotionally invested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I can't believe Federer wasted that match point. Anderson was so close to the net any old lob would have done the trick. But he decides to go for a backhand down the line pass?! F***in' eejit.

I can't see Nadal winning on Friday. Nole is a man on a mission this week.

Can you imagine if Anderson wins it out? That'd be hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shame to see Federer out. He's very much the people champ. He always stopped to sign peoples balls, always had the time for the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

All of the crazy fans (and by that I mean having his logo painted on their faces, wearing elaborate hats/clothes and waving signs) seem to be Asian.

I've a question for you, if Nadal does surpass Federer's slam count, will you then regard him as the GOAT, or will overall slam count no longer matter in determining the GOAT "because because because....this and that...clay....other mitigating factors"?
    He very well might but when you're slam count is so lopsided by a surface that for many periods has been a 'weak era' does it really hold the same weight? Many will argue it does but for me it doesn't.

Nadal isn't as good as Djokovic in my eyes though for example.

Really hope Ostapenko and Gorges win today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement