Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wimbledon 2018

Options
  • 29-06-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Draws announced this morning.

Women's draw

Men's draw

Because I like making incorrect predictions that we can all laugh at later, I'm gonna pick Kvitova and Cilic as the two champions.

Let the anarchy begin :cool:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Reasonably balanced draw for once. I'll go hesitatingly for Fed and could be anyone from 25 names on the women's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Dimitrov got a tough first round match.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Floppybits wrote: »
    On paper maybe, but Wawrinka is notoriously poor on grass and he's not been at the races for a good while now, Dimitrov should really be making Round 4 at least. Federer ended up with a pretty favourable draw, could meet Coric in R4 who just beat him in Halle but he really shouldn't struggle against him unless he has an off day. A potential SF with Cilic could be really good. He obviously crumbled in the final last year but he's shown to be pretty good on grass. Having said that he's lost three straight big GS matches to Fed in a row including that QF two years ago where he threw away a 2 set lead, you still have to question his propensity to bottle these encounters.

The other side of the draw is a crazy mess with Rafa, Zverev, Kygrios, Delpo, Djoko AND Murray. A potential R3 between Murray and Delpo could be fun. It's hard to predict with a lot of those guys. Rafa is always a question on grass since 2011 and may still be carrying an injury, Zverev still mostly unproven at SW19, Kygrios is always a wildcard in terms of which version of him will show up, Delpo has at times been impressive this year so could be a real threat, Djokovic looked good at Queen's but it still might be too soon for him to have a really deep run, could be wrong though. Murray is obviously a complete unknown. He did well in the last two tournaments considering how long he's been out but he's sounded somewhat unsure over whether he can really compete in this tournament. He could do a Fed Australia 17' of course but it'll be a tough aul slog for him to get back into playing best of 5 matches again, especially considering the guys he'll likely have to get through to even reach a QF. Winning a couple of matches will likely be a success for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wawrinka looked utter gash against a hugely rusty Murray last week. Dimitrov will polish him off in 3 if he fancies going deep I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Cilic the real danger for Roger in a potential semi. Nadal's draw in the balance with Novak there, but a lot of variables at play for each. Really interested to see how Murray get's on. Delpo 3rd round would be great to see.

Really hoping for 21st GSM for Federer!

• Advertisement

Murray has pulled out. Said he is not ready for 5 set matches. Probably the correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Henman Hill
    Rusedski Ridge
    Murray Mount

Edmund Elevation it is so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Was sad to hear it. Hope he makes some sort of impact on the US hardcourt's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah Murray was given a very tough section so I'd doubt he had the heart/fitness to compete in what could have turned into a few early 5 setters

Anyhow, as is often the case in a World Cup year, Wimbledon slips under the radar a bit. I do think its Cilic's time though

Going to be a very weird situation with the World Cup Final clashing with the Mens final - unless its a 3 set thrashing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah Murray was given a very tough section so I'd doubt he had the heart/fitness to compete in what could have turned into a few early 5 setters

Anyhow, as is often the case in a World Cup year, Wimbledon slips under the radar a bit. I do think its Cilic's time though

Going to be a very weird situation with the World Cup Final clashing with the Mens final - unless its a 3 set thrashing

They really should bring it forward to noon.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »

Absolutely. Wimbledon very set in their ways though

Viewing figures will be an all time low for the final

jr86 wrote: »
    Chivito550 wrote: »

Absolutely. Wimbledon very set in their ways though

Viewing figures will be an all time low for the final

I doubt it will affect viewing figures unless England make the final. If England do make the final I can see Wimbledon moving the start time.

Ah now the World Cup Final is one of the most watched events in the world

There will be essentially zero casual sport viewers choosing a tennis match over that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Glad Murray is not in it, I can't look at his snarly angry head.
    Roger to win.

Stephens out but, really, how big a shock is it? Played no warm up event and only landed in the UK on Friday which would lead you to question just how big a priority this was right now. More of a mild tremor I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Stephens out but, really, how big a shock is it? Played no warm up event and only landed in the UK on Friday which would lead you to question just how big a priority this was right now. More of a mild tremor I would say.
    Is she not a fan of grass?

paulie21 wrote: »
    Is she not a fan of grass?

She could well be and it should suit her well enough but, unless your something special like Serena maybe, I dont think you can just turn up and expect to fire straight away. Vekic, who has good form on grass, was way too dangerous an opponent to expect to get away with it.

If that is what she has done then it shows she doesn't care about Wimbledon.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No real urge to watch/tune in this year when a 36, almost 37 year old is the bookies favorite to lift the title, 15 years after his first win...great and all as he was, and seems, is!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Floppybits wrote: »
    Looks like I was completely wrong on this one! Good call :o. Really bad loss for Dimitrov though, hard to take him seriously as a potential contender anymore when he's losing first round matches, even if it was Wawrinka. Has a serious lack of bottle. Nice comeback from Stan though, would love to see him back competing on the tour again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Oh.

My.

F***ing.

God.

6 match points!

She needs a smack up the ar** that one. Swinging for the fences on Wimbledon match points. Even a junior wouldn't act like that.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Glad Murray is not in it, I can't look at his snarly angry head.
    Roger to win.

One of the worst things about Wimbledon is having to put up with these dumb posts :rolleyes:
    walshb wrote: »
    No real urge to watch/tune in this year when a 36, almost 37 year old is the bookies favorite to lift the title, 15 years after his first win...great and all as he was, and seems, is!

But it's Goaterer! The King!! The Maestro!!! The Gentleman!!1! etc. etc.

Didn't see any of today's action, so can only comment on results.

Nice to see Svitolina is still useless at the grand slams. A bit like the WTA version of Zverev. Radwanska needed three sets on her best surface to get past a player I've genuinely never heard of, so I can't see her going too deep here. Not too surprised about Sloane losing, Vekic is decent enough on grass. Her apparently only arriving at Wimbledon on Friday doesn't sound good, I know she doesn't care outside of the slams but there'd be no reason for her to be indifferent to a tournament where she's previously reached the QF's.

Can only roll my eyes at that Dimitrov result. Coric losing at the first hurdle is a bit surprising though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Any female totty worth looking out for this year? Not well up on this sport but willing to watch it if there's some fine fillies prancing about. And don't say manky Monica or horrible Hingis because I know there out to pasture lol. I think?

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Any female totty worth looking out for this year?

Aryna Sabalenka. But unfortunately she lost her first round today.

Eugenie Bouchard playing tomorrow. Enjoy it while it lasts because she won't probably. Another Kournikova in the making that one.

Can only roll my eyes at that Dimitrov result.

I'm gone past caring at this stage. Dimitrov and Monfils might be the two biggest wasted talents of this last generation. Surprised the latter beat Gasquet today. It won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really enjoyed the Federer exhibition match today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Any female totty worth looking out for this year? Not well up on this sport but willing to watch it if there's some fine fillies prancing about. And don't say manky Monica or horrible Hingis because I know there out to pasture lol. I think?

Ostapenko is a cutie, although some beg to disagree.

He's not your average 37 year old though is he? Every match he plays should be cherished, particularly at Wimbledon. Another sublime masterclass today but this can't go on forever. We'll never see his likes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This comment makes no logical sense to me on so many levels. Either you like Tennis or you don't. Why would one who does refrain from watching it for whatever reason?

There seems to be a demographic of ppl who just watch sport sport sport when they have no real interest in the sport itself - just watching it on TV, an armchair enthusiast.

What difference his age makes I've not the first clue. I would have though the fact he is so much older makes his participation in the tournament a point of interest i.e. someone being able to play better than anyone else at this age.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

AllForIt wrote: »
    This comment makes no logical sense to me on so many levels. Either you like Tennis or you don't. Why would one who does refrain from watching it for whatever reason?

There seems to be a demographic of ppl who just watch sport sport sport when they have no real interest in the sport itself - just watching it on TV, an armchair enthusiast.

What difference his age makes I've not the first clue. I would have though the fact he is so much older makes his participation in the tournament a point of interest i.e. someone being able to play better than anyone else at this age.

I think Walshb, like me, is a little bored of the Federer domination/adulation. And that's ok too. A heavy favourite strolling to a title with little opposition is only interesting for fans of that player.

AllForIt wrote: »
    just watching it on TV, an armchair enthusiast.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Only players can truly understand it. I could watch that 37 year old move around all day. When him and Nadal finally retire this sport will enter a dark age. And all those armchairs will be crying for them to come back.

Is there any way to do red button stuff on BBC player??? I'd like to catch some of Bethanie mattek-sands and Šafářová's doubles today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think Walshb, like me, is a little bored of the Federer domination/adulation. And that's ok too. A heavy favourite strolling to a title with little opposition is only interesting for fans of that player.

The Nadal fanbois had their go last month, now its our turn!

Advertisement