Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk Thread IX: Grand Slam Champions SEE MOD WARNING POST #1122

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not bothered by Jones's comments at all. He is calling us scummy for being the only team to beat him.
    Diplomatic incident averted. He's apologised for it apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

prawnsambo wrote: »

Makes it look like he's worried even more so:) Doesn't want to give us any ammo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not bothered by Jones's comments at all. He is calling us scummy for being the only team to beat him.
    Man this is asking for mind games, I hope some journalist has the balls to ask Eddie with Owen present if he is captain in the pre-match conference, whether he included Andy Farrell in his scum comment or whether Owen felt the irish lions were scummy in his experience on tour. I doubt the players really love when Eddie Jones messes up like that publically. Perhaps his strategy all about creating distractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Man this is asking for mind games, I hope some journalist has the balls to ask Eddie with Owen present if he is captain in the pre-match conference, whether he included Andy Farrell in his scum comment or whether Owen felt the irish lions were scummy in his experience on tour. I doubt the players really love when Eddie Jones messes up like that publically. Perhaps his strategy all about creating distractions.

Your post prompted me to check out Andy Farrell's Wkipedia page for info on his Irish heritage. According to the page, Farrell fathered Owen when he was 16. I didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Your post prompted me to check out Andy Farrell's Wkipedia page for info on his Irish heritage. According to the page, Farrell fathered Owen when he was 16. I didn't know that.

Yes he was just starting his own professional career at the time. Had to get to grips with rugby league at the same time as learning how to raise a child. Impressive guy.

Yes he was just starting his own professional career at the time. Had to get to grips with rugby league at the same time as learning how to raise a child. Impressive guy.

Very much so. He played for the first team aged 16, won a Challenge Cup aged 17 and got an international cap at 18. All while being a father as you say. Tremendous maturity for a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Thank ****. Cowan-Dickie looked semi competent, and didn't even get a yellow.

Hartleys excellence at lineout is prob the main reason for his continued selection.
    Very interested to see how England select their side.
    Huge decisions in the backrow, midfield & will they move Farrell into 10? & at FB.
    My guess is:
    Robshaw, Armand & Simmonds.
    Teo & Joseph
    Brown
    Daly and Watson on the wings

That’s a side with a huge amount of change & a team I can’t see beating Ireland.
    Saturday can’t come quick enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Kinsella's ruck analysis for Scotland is out. Aki in with the forwards for everything, serious work rate.

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-ireland-rucks-scotland-six-nations-2018-3903528-Mar2018/?utm_source=shortlink

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Very much so. He played for the first team aged 16, won a Challenge Cup aged 17 and got an international cap at 18. All while being a father as you say. Tremendous maturity for a teenager.

Himself and Owen played together for Saracens at one point I think? That must be pretty unique in professional sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Eddie made that throwaway comment giving a corporate talk in Japan a good while ago. He was attempting to make funny remarks/banter/sledging. I very much doubt he has ill will towards us at the end of the day. It’s just his style. He’s a smart Alec-I felt his comments pre Scotland match were over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

[quote="joseywhales;106440224 Perhaps his strategy all about creating distractions.[/quote]
    You're giving him too much credit, he was attempting humour with a generous helping of casual racism thrown in for good measure

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Himself and Owen played together for Saracens at one point I think? That must be pretty unique in professional sports.

Saddo that I am, I checked it out. According to this comment on a thread about the subject on the Saracens website:

Owen & Andy Farrell were both on the bench for a Saracens pre-season friendly against Western Force back in August 2008!

Andy came onto the field as a substitute , only to be replaced by Owen a few minutes later due to a broken thumb! So they never actually played together on the pitch at the sane time!

I'm guessing the plan was to bring them both on late in the game but the injury got in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Hartleys excellence at lineout is prob the main reason for his continued selection.
    Very interested to see how England select their side.
    Huge decisions in the backrow, midfield & will they move Farrell into 10? & at FB.
    My guess is:
    Robshaw, Armand & Simmonds.
    Teo & Joseph
    Brown
    Daly and Watson on the wings

That’s a side with a huge amount of change & a team I can’t see beating Ireland.
    Saturday can’t come quick enough!

Reckon that's what he'll do, except it'll be Robshaw, Haskell, and Simmonds. Eddie is not a fan of Armand, or so I've heard.

Reckon that's what he'll do, except it'll be Robshaw, Haskell, and Simmonds. Eddie is not a fan of Armand, or so I've heard.

Of course. Forgot about Haskell!
    God they are in **** order if Haskell has to start!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Saddo that I am, I checked it out. According to this comment on a thread about the subject on the Saracens website:

Owen & Andy Farrell were both on the bench for a Saracens pre-season friendly against Western Force back in August 2008!

Andy came onto the field as a substitute , only to be replaced by Owen a few minutes later due to a broken thumb! So they never actually played together on the pitch at the sane time!

I'm guessing the plan was to bring them both on late in the game but the injury got in the way.

Similar to Icelandic father and son Arnór and Eithur Gudjohnsen. The son came on as a sub for his father in an international match. They're 17 years apart.

• Advertisement

Of course. Forgot about Haskell!
    God they are in **** order if Haskell has to start!!

I would absolutely 100% start Armand over Haskell as that would fix a huge amount of their breakdown issues but alas I am not Eddie Jones who will definitely pick Haskell, which should solve a huge amount of their not running into goalposts issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

Similar to Icelandic father and son Arnór and Eithur Gudjohnsen. The son came on as a sub for his father in an international match. They're 17 years apart.

I believe Regan King was on the field with his son in a game for the Scarlets.

7oakse wrote: »
    I believe Regan King was on the field with his son in a game for the Scarlets.

Correct. Well done!

Eddie made that throwaway comment giving a corporate talk in Japan a good while ago. He was attempting to make funny remarks/banter/sledging. I very much doubt he has ill will towards us at the end of the day. It’s just his style. He’s a smart Alec-I felt his comments pre Scotland match were over the top.
    Oh yeah, I couldn't care less about his statement, I just want to use it as a stick to beat him with, any edge no matter how small

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Murray Kinsella and few others on twitter say same 23 for Twickenham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

In fairness, Jones' comments are next to useless as motivation for the Irish team, when all they need is an A1 poster of Mike Brown's face on the dressing room wall.

Reckon they just need a photo of England's half hearted celebration last year after their Grand Slam dreams were so cruelly crushed :pac:

wire-245377-1489936472-935_634x328.jpg

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella and few others on twitter say same 23 for Twickenham

No surprise there, thought Henderson might have started but that's all.

I would absolutely 100% start Armand over Haskell as that would fix a huge amount of their breakdown issues but alas I am not Eddie Jones who will definitely pick Haskell, which should solve a huge amount of their not running into goalposts issues.

Ha! He does a goalpost bounce like no other.
    He also gives them guaranteed colossal gob****e penalty per game.
    Cian Healy should watch & learn from the true master of the colossal gob****e penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Andy Farrell played in Croke Park in 2007. Crazy.

No surprise there, thought Henderson might have started but that's all.

Can we talk about how absolutely mental it is that James Ryan has leapfrogged a Lion in his first season of professional rugby, and is now first choice for his country after barely half a dozen caps?

Maro Itoje eat your heart out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nor I and if Joe Schmidt described another country as "scummy" or a **** little place I would understand them taking massive umbrage.

Even with all Schmidt's achievements and his positive cultural impact on Irish rugby, if I found out today that he had spoken like Jones spoke at an IRFU sponsors event, I would want him sacked immediately. There simply is no scope to behave like that and have it brushed off.

The sense I get of England at the moment is the same sense I get of Mourinho's United, that the players are deeply unsettled and unhappy to be functioning under the incumbent management. Neither team seems either energised or motivated and as the discussion about Gareth Bale in recent has demonstrated, it doesn't matter how much money you make, it cannot be a driver of performance if you are not happy. And if England loose on Saturday I think the Jones era will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe.

i BELIEVE HE MISSED OUT AS AT THE TIME HE WAS HAVING HIS LOBBE WASHED DOWN.....:D

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Even with all Schmidt's achievements and his positive cultural impact on Irish rugby, if I found out today that he had spoken like Jones spoke at an IRFU sponsors event, I would want him sacked immediately. There simply is no scope to behave like that and have it brushed off.

The sense I get of England at the moment is the same sense I get of Mourinho's United, that the players are deeply unsettled and unhappy to be functioning under the incumbent management. Neither team seems either energised or motivated and as the discussion about Gareth Bale in recent has demonstrated, it doesn't matter how much money you make, it cannot be a driver of performance if you are not happy. And if England loose on Saturday I think the Jones era will end.

I don't understand what Jones hopes to achieve with these remarks. I keep hearing that he is "protecting players by deflecting attention onto him". Which is really bizarre. If the England players need that level of protection something is really wrong with them.

• Advertisement

Can we talk about how absolutely mental it is that James Ryan has leapfrogged a Lion in his first season of professional rugby, and is now first choice for his country after barely half a dozen caps?

He is doing amazing things all over the park.
    He was also Ireland’s leading tackler v France and Scotland.
    His athleticism and hands are bringing another option to the side.
    Henderson to bench again v England?

No matter who starts in the secondrow, I don't think you can call the starters the 1st choice secondrow, who gets picked depends entirely on who we are playing/who is available in the backrow etc. It's great that we have three great  second rows with different skills. I personally didn't think having toner as a guaranteed starter was good enough(for a WC semi) pre-six nations but he will excel(and be the difference between winning and losing) against certain teams (who really like first phase off the back of a lineout). If we were playing NZ I would want Hendo, for the sheer energy and power for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Is that a poem ? Or a verse to a song?

The Ballad of James Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Nice depth at 2nd row. Dillane, Beirne, Roux also in the mix. I was thinking Ross Molony would have been in camp by now, but he apparently has faded a little the past year. Treadwell too, he is a big bullocking man too, probably doesn't have the skills for that level yet. I think Gillian Gallagher is a massive prospect also. Good times ahead.

Is that a poem ? Or a verse to a song?

The Ballad of James Ryan.

It’s a Haiku

No matter who starts in the secondrow, I don't think you can call the starters the 1st choice secondrow, who gets picked depends entirely on who we are playing/who is available in the backrow etc. It's great that we have three great  second rows with different skills. I personally didn't think having toner as a guaranteed starter was good enough(for a WC semi) pre-six nations but he will excel(and be the difference between winning and losing) against certain teams (who really like first phase off the back of a lineout). If we were playing NZ I would want Hendo, for the sheer energy and power for example.

That’s it. A Needs must approach.
    Just thinking about what you said and England actually might only have 2 (Itoje and Launchbury) starting lineout options.
    Start with Dev, Ryan and Pom to establish lineout dominance. Then bring on the cavalry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Larbre34 wrote: »

I thought the only snowflakes we had to worry about this week were the ones falling on London. Turns out there are a few amongst the Irish fans. FFS!! Seriously?!? Have you watched the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I thought the only snowflakes we had to worry about this week were the ones falling on London. Turns out there are a few amongst the Irish fans. FFS!! Seriously?!? Have you watched the video?
    You do know calling someone a snowflake isn't in itself a cogent argument... snowflakes and banter, the Daily Mails favourite terms

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah there’s nothing in it other than a high profile guy being a bit too flippant with his choice of words. He was stupid to use the terms he used but he meant nothing by it. He was trying to be funny. He wasn’t, but I think we’ve all been there at one time or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't understand what Jones hopes to achieve with these remarks. I keep hearing that he is "protecting players by deflecting attention onto him". Which is really bizarre. If the England players need that level of protection something is really wrong with them.

He hoped to achieve a laugh from the audience at a corporate event.

People know this all happened last summer, right? That it's not some sort of mind game for this match?

The whole thing is embarrassing. Some idiot has been sitting on this footage since last year waiting to release it for maximum outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That was awesome. Cheers Burkie for the link!

In a major surprise to this Kiwi, it’s turns out Aussies are uncultured and uncouth after all...really didn’t see that coming...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ireland by 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Im hopeful of a win, but not confident...there's every chance this could go wrong bigtime for us.
    Out half backs have to be perfect, scrum has to dominate, our centres and back 3 have to be completely in sync...add to that.. no silly lapses in defence...then yes...we will win... but if the above doesn't happen, we could be in for a shock.

People know this all happened last summer, right? That it's not some sort of mind game for this match?

The whole thing is embarrassing. Some idiot has been sitting on this footage since last year waiting to release it for maximum outrage.

Completely agree. That said, I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was Eddie 'mind-games' Jones that sat on the tape!!

The only one caveat about all this is that Eddie Jones as national coach holds almost an 'office' like appointment. He represents the RFU in public probably more than any other person. As such he needs to hold himself to a higher standard. I couldn't care less about the remarks nor who said them but I'm also not entirely surprised that the RFU feel the need to formally apologise to the IRFU and the WRU in the aftermath.

It sounds like a semantic issue, I don't think Jones meant to cause any offence. It was attempted humour, it came off poorly and it's nothing to get upset about. I'd say the only people whose noses are actually out of joint are the blazers in the RFU.

Has to be said though, if England lose at the weekend this isn't going to help his case. That extension to 2023 before the 6 nations is looking like a worse piece of business by the day.

• Advertisement

Has to be said though, if England lose at the weekend this isn't going to help his case. That extension to 2023 before the 6 nations is looking like a worse piece of business by the day.

Not really. If he wins the RWC in 2019, nothing else will matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep. It was a silly quip that’s being used to drag him over the coals now. Hopefully a media storm in a tea cup. I just hope Schmidt isn’t dragged into it in the press conference today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The ruck marks by Murray Kinsella show that Bundee was one of the busiest at the breakdown last weekend. That's a big positive in itself. But I also noticed that he's added a bit more to his passing game; he's drawing his man more and giving a lovely pass before contact. A couple of Garry Ringrose's half breaks came from those kinds of passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yep. It was a silly quip that’s being used to drag him over the coals now. Hopefully a media storm in a tea cup. I just hope Schmidt isn’t dragged into it in the press conference today.

If there is even one half-competent journalist in the room then there is literally 0% chance that Schmidt won't be asked about this at the next press conference.

But they were already asked for comment and they said they had no comment to make, I'd be surprised if that changed. If it does change it'll have been something they discussed at length.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

What are the chances of snow n Twickenham on Saturday??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement