Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Sport RTE Radio 1

Options
  • 05-07-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Listening to post Tipp Galway match. Donal Og Cusack is excellent but Greg Allen is wrecking my head-he keeps focusing on ex players questioning heart of Tipp team. Allen is a superb commentator but he is like a dog with a bone-won't let it go!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

honeybear wrote: »
    Listening to post Tipp Galway match. Donal Og Cusack is excellent but Greg Allen

Greg Allen is the golf commentator isnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Joe Brolly involved in a heated discussion with Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Joe Brolly involved in a heated discussion with Des

My brother just mentioned this to me... I was listening to RTE radio all day, but I turned over to NT for the commentary on this game... Did you not think that Joe Brolly was drunk?

Thought he could be

• Registered Users Posts: 12 selfstarter

My brother just mentioned this to me... I was listening to RTE radio all day, but I turned over to NT for the commentary on this game... Did you not think that Joe Brolly was drunk?

Dunphy,Sadlier,Brolly.....its an rte style.Good cop bad cop.

• Advertisement

Joanne Cantwell was painful to listen to when chatting to Eamon Dunphy. Greg Allen had to put an end to her petty point scoring. Anyone else hear her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Joanne Cantwell can't seem to stop herself from asking stupid questions, she seems to get three quarters of the way through and realises her stupidly, she then tries to explain her reason for askingsuch a question which makes for a very disjointed conversation.

She really shouldn't be considered programme anchor material at all, perfectly adequate for reports and sports news segments at the most.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Joanne Cantwell can't seem to stop herself from asking stupid questions, she seems to get three quarters of the way through and realises her stupidly, she then tries to explain her reason for askingsuch a question which makes for a very disjointed conversation.

She really shouldn't be considered programme anchor material at all, perfectly adequate for reports and sports news segments at the most.

Agreed. She was like a dog with a bone on the point about Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Would it not be her job to elicit as much info as she can?

Must say she doesn't come up on the Brenners ' annoying people on radio' radar screen and in truth it's a rather sensitive device!!��

Don’t think there’s another thread.

Listening here and that idiot Des Cahill keeps cutting in and interrupting Joanne Cantwell, think she really had enough on the lead in to the tennis series.

Anyone else tooned in?

What an unprofessional performance from Cahill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listening here and that idiot Des Cahill keeps cutting in and interrupting Joanne Cantwell, think she really had enough on the lead in to the tennis series.

Anyone else tooned in?

Wish he would get something done with his sinuses or whatevers wrong with him.

Always sounds like he's choking on phlegm, hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's some weekends thst programme just shouldn't be on. No major live sports and they cover gaa club games or just talk

neris wrote: »
    There's some weekends thst programme just shouldn't be on. No major live sports and they cover gaa club games or just talk

Aah wouldn’t quit agree there, always something happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

I always get the whiff of forced banter from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

He was snorting and sniffing like mad this afternoon. You’d think he’d blow his nose. I can’t stand ‘Dessie’s’ brand of ‘lad banter’ anyway. Turned over to Lyric FM for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,495 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone else tooned in?

You started one last year as well. It was short lived and very forgettable.

You started one last year as well. It was short lived and very forgettable.

Eh.... you didn’t forget it, though.:D

Just making a point DX, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cahill is a disgrace on the radio and is the weak link on RTÉ sport in general, never mind Saturday/Sunday Sport. If it isn't "Di Dubz" or ABU or yarns about meeting Davy Keogh or or having "du banter" with the sort who go off dying their cat whilst driving camper vans with Jackie Charlton murals to the World Cuo then he doesn't want to know. You could write a book about the idiotic questions and comments that he has made over the years.

What's worse is that how he is arrogant enough to not even feign interest on air about anything else. And that's before I begin about his disgraceful diction and on air voice. There are plenty of other decent sportscasters in the RTÉ team; he is not needed and ought to be cast aside.

Cahill is a disgrace on the radio and is the weak link on RTÉ sport in general, never mind Saturday/Sunday Sport. If it isn't "Di Dubz" or ABU or yarns about meeting Davy Keogh or or having "du banter" with the sort who go off dying their cat whilst driving camper vans with Jackie Charlton murals to the World Cuo then he doesn't want to know. You could write a book about the idiotic questions and comments that he has made over the years.

What's worse is that how he is arrogant enough to not even feign interest on air about anything else. And that's before I begin about his disgraceful diction and on air voice. There are plenty of other decent sportscasters in the RTÉ team; he is not needed and ought to be cast aside.

Hmmm Lot of 'gristle' in there Losty, I'll have to put in me teeth and have a chew.

He does seem to prefer the more stupid aspects of sport like 'de paartie' after rather than the main event.

Spent nearly three minutes adding up goals scored in last years league on air,whilst a discussion went on around him.

I think auld Dee is putting a bit of a stop to the moonlighting though.

Can't be doing with Des at this time of year.
    Local radio all the way for me.

• Advertisement

Des just snapped at Joanne “stop interrupting me”. I’ve always felt tension between them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Des just snapped at Joanne “stop interrupting me”. I’ve always felt tension between them

Sexual tension

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He is a disgrace to RTE period.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Some Dancing on The Stairs might solve it. He needs to loosen up & avoid vanishing up his own .......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Endless "Banter" would make me snap as well.

Sweet Meesus, that lad Martin Kiely commentating on the Cavan Tyrone game simply did my head in.

Every e pronounced i sinter field... Tyre-Owen Jesus h Christ where do RTE get these people.

Would someone in RTE sort out the pronunciation of Tyrone and stick the fcuk to it

What is correct, tell those cretins it's done that way' do it or get the fork off the set.

Have to say I was apoplectic with that gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Brian Carthy great as usual though for the Kildare game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

John Mullane: what stuff is this guy taking?:eek:

John Mullane: what stuff is this guy taking?:eek:

A colossal pain in the hole that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A colossal pain in the hole that guy.

He thinks roaring down the microphone makes him come across as passionate. Very annoying.

Advertisement