Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i really don't know how i can help my little princess

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

It sounds to me like your child may be in pain. I had experience of something similar in a child I used to look after. Even though doctor's said she was fine, I knew she was in unnatural pain. Her cries were unbearable, it was heartbreaking.

It turned out to be osteomyelitis in her spine where she had had a previous lumbar puncture for a suspected infection.
    As you have said your child had a spinal tap, I would ask for an MRI of the spine to rule this out.
    Even though she has had antibiotics, they may have been the wrong type.
    Do your research and if it looks like a possibility, query it with your GP and ask for an MRI asap.

I really hope she is ok. It must be very hard for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

When my daughter was almost one she was given antibiotics for three days for an infection.
    Afterwards she was being sick all the time after a bottle. So much so that we’d literally stand at the sink after a feed because we knew it was coming. Same for if she had any solid food with dairy. At the time it took a while to realise but it turned out the antibiotics had upset her stomach and caused a temporary lactose intolerance. Switched to lactose free formula and foods, immediate improvement in her sleep, form and no long got sick. The change was immediate and drastic.
    Thankfully after around 6 months we were able to gradually wean her back to regular milk and food and she’s fine now.

Might be worth exploring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

OP-if she is still breastfeeding and on neonate, I presume the mother has also cut out dairy...??

The Hound-your post made me smile.Any interaction I have had with medical people up to about 12 weeks on amy of my three, they do go a bit white around the gills alright :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Sounds like allergy symptoms. I've had this with a few of my children. It's usually a food source at this age and if she's on neocate I presume that's the amino acid based one, so failing a dairy allergy it has to be something that you're eating that is bringing on symptoms. Ask the go to prescribe an antihistamine for the allergy symptoms (sneezing eczema gut pain and smelly nappies) if you're not giving it, start with vitamin D and keep giving the probiotic, make sure it's not dairy based though.
    I feel your pain, I spent the best part of a year with my now 8 year old trying to get to the bottom of his symptoms. I was told reflux and fussy baby and fussy mother. Turns out he's dairy intolerant (not lactose but casein which doesn't show up in uaual tests.) now he gets everything from earache to dry itchy skin, belly pain, the rolling around the floor kind, the runs. It's horrible.
    Don't be fobbed off by reflux. Reflux is caused by something in the diet, it's not a natural ailment and usually the first thing GP's or phns say when they don't know. It's a process of elimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

cbyrd wrote: »
    Don't be fobbed off by reflux. Reflux is caused by something in the diet, it's not a natural ailment and usually the first thing GP's or phns say when they don't know. It's a process of elimination.

Em, reflux is not always diet related. It wasn't for my child...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

suitianshi wrote: »
    A GP has prescribed us a medicine for reflux, but you know they never listen to us and they do google a lot. I don't know if she is suffering from reflux and not sure if this medicine will do something bad to my girl. she's too small now.

This attitude is really concerning.
    GPS are professionals and not just googling stuff and prescribing in a whim.

Work with your GP, follow their instructions, get a second opinion surely but your complaining about the doctor and yet here you are turning to a group of strangers on the internet looking for help.

Perhaps a case where a social worker needs to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

_Brian wrote: »
    This attitude is really concerning.
    GPS are professionals and not just googling stuff and prescribing in a whim.

Work with your GP, follow their instructions, get a second opinion surely but your complaining about the doctor and yet here you are turning to a group of strangers on the internet looking for help.

Social workers?? Doctors dont always get it right and are quick to dismiss things to reflux/silent reflux very often!

OP. We went through a VERY VERY similar issue. It was down to a few different issues with formula/allergies to mild proteins etc but the saving grace was a formula called nutramigen. Obviously cant give medical advise but please run it past your health care provider if it is something you can try. It worked for us in under 48 hours. A different child once started using this formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

_Brian wrote: »
    People are being a bit short with the OP but the above takes the biscuit. No, perhaps not. And pretty insulting to a clearly loving, attentive parent.

They were extremely upset - cut them some slack. Reassurance and advice are what they need - not finger-wagging. They're scared after what they think seems like an adverse reaction to the antibiotic but hopefully enough people have convinced them that these can be normal things for a growing baby, and that the reflux medicine is standard and nothing to fear.

Let us know how you get on at the doctor's, OP.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:
    Please remember that offering medical advice or diagnosis here is forbidden.

Suggesting that an OP explore a treatment option with their GP or sharing your own experience is fine, telling them that they are dealing with X condition, is not.

As always, if you have medical advice and medications, follow that. If you are unhappy with that medical diagnosis from your GP, seek a second opinion from another qualified doctor, NOT the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

suitianshi wrote:

....but we know there’s something wrong with her and we really don’t know how to help her.

We are in a desperate life every day. Tears running down on my face...

My suggestion is to contact your local Public Health Nurse/Community Health Nurse. You can find yours here: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/2/healthcentres/

It can be extremely daunting for first time mothers (especially if they live in a different country than where their own family live), so don’t feel alone or helpless because there is help out there, & at least if you could hook up with community health services you mightn’t feel as isolated or helpless.

Your maternal instincts have kicked in & the feelings that your experiencing are perfectly natural. Be assured that you’re doing nothing wrong. Your priority is the health of your child, & it certainly looks that you’ve done everything in your power to get to the bottom of the problem. However, I feel that you could benefit from the reassurance of your PHN.

A lot of the time there is no quick or instant fix, & it’s heart breaking for a mother to see her baby in distress with no apparent improvements. Rest assured that child health care professionals work to strict guidelines as set out by the HSE which are regularly updated - this is why they seem to be using Google as a diagnostic tool when in fact it’s more likely that they are checking the HSE website to ensure that they are following the most up to date guidelines.

People on boards mean well, but a lot of the time there is no ‘one size fits all’ solution. Chopping & changing formula etc is all very well, but it needs to be structured & monitored by someone who knows what they’re doing, & in what order. You’ll just drive yourself crazy by trying stuff willy nilly, so try to link in with a community based service, who can liaise with your GP/hospital if needs be.

You also need to look after your own physical & mental health, which is another reason to get community based health nurse involved. If you have to go online just stick to the HSE run website https://www2.hse.ie/babies-and-toddlers/conditions-and-symptoms/ (mychild.ie).

They will get to the bottom of this & you will get through this!

Take care & best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

suitianshi wrote: »
    A GP has prescribed us a medicine for reflux, but you know they never listen to us and they do google a lot. I don't know if she is suffering from reflux and not sure if this medicine will do something bad to my girl. she's too small now.

My daughter was born with silent reflux and had to be medicated from her 6 week checkup on after being referred to a paediatrician. I am no doctor but your daughter having eczema could also indicate allergy to milk and she may need a non dairy milk which paediatrician can prescribe. The meds did my child no harm and helped her take her milk intake and be less agitated, I feel for you as it's awful watching the little mites squirm, please get a paediatrician referral.

EDIT: as for health nurses, mine were young and inexperienced and told me I was just a first time mam who was too nervous and didn't notice the reflux in her, only myself and my husband noticed something was up - follow your instincts and I'd say go to a paediatrician, they're used to seeing reflux and allergies in kids, they know what they're doing. Don't mess with the middle man.

Advertisement