Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of warranty faulty laptop - should I go to small claims court?

Options
  • 01-07-2020 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell laptop that came with a 1 year warranty, which ended Nov 2019. It has had an intermittent issue wherein it freezes, the graphics glitch, and must be powered off. This has been a bother, but not bothersome enough to have it addressed. After the most recent automatic Dell update, it freezes upon every boot.

I recognise the issue (being interested in PCs) and suspected a RAM problem. I opened the laptop and found that 3 pins on one RAM slot are erroneously soldered together via an errant tiny piece of metal. Removing RAM from this slot fixes the issue.

Dell are refusing to accept that this is a manufacturing fault. They say that I haven't come for support until now, so it must be a recent issue. The laptop hasn't moved from my desk since I've bought it and, even if it had, I would have to solder metal to the motherboard to cause this problem.

It cost 2500e, and a replacement motherboard will cost 340e.

I accept that it isn't under warranty. My understanding of our statutory rights is that a faulty item may be repaired if it can be proven defective, not arising from misuse. I feel that it is provably defective and that it should be repaired/replaced.

Does this seem like a fair understanding? What proof would I need? I have pictures of the fault under a microscope, and can demonstrate that my diagnosis of the problem is correct. Would I still need to pay an engineer to look at it, come to court etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,114 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I haven't the piece of legislation to hand but you needed to report the fault within 6mts of purchase. Reporting it after the warranty has expired isn't much use. Was this a refurbished laptop?

From what you have said it does sound like an obvious manufacturing fault, I'd get back onto Dell and refuse to get off the phone until they agree to look at it. I'd completely exhaust all Dell internal avenues first before even thinking of going down the small claims court route.
    It's painful but you'll have to do a Karen on it and demand to speak to a manager.

You said it's ok with one ram slot, if they offered to give you a larger piece of ram you could just use in one slot would that fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I haven't the piece of legislation to hand but you needed to report the fault within 6mts of purchase. Reporting it after the warranty has expired isn't much use. Was this a refurbished laptop?

From what you have said it does sound like an obvious manufacturing fault, I'd get back onto Dell and refuse to get off the phone until they agree to look at it. I'd completely exhaust all Dell internal avenues first before even thinking of going down the small claims court route.
    It's painful but you'll have to do a Karen on it and demand to speak to a manager.

You said it's ok with one ram slot, if they offered to give you a larger piece of ram you could just use in one slot would that fix the problem.

Thanks. I can't find it in legislation either but guides online seem to say:
    If a fault arises within six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of purchase. For this reason, the consumer should not have to provide proof of the defect.

If the fault arises more than six months after purchase, the seller may request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse – for instance, by obtaining a report from an independent expert.
    https://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/#:~:text=Statutory%20rights%20are%20provided%20for,has%20a%20warranty%20or%20not.

And yeah, you're right and I hadn't thought of that solution, one larger piece of RAM would work. However I'd rather have it fixed if possible because there could be other related issues. I went through various managers who wont budge on it being out of warranty, and they understandably stopped talking once I said that I'll have to take up a claim in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

If the fault was present during the warranty period and you didn't report it to DELL then I think you really don't have recourse against DELL

Stanford wrote: »
    If the fault was present during the warranty period and you didn't report it to DELL then I think you really don't have recourse against DELL

This is essentially what Dell are telling me, but I can't see this made clear anywhere, so I'm not sure that it's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You've six years to make a claim in Ireland. The European legislation says you've two years but after the first six months you have to prove the fault existed at time of purchase. You've done that. However you may need an independent report.

Use the Small Claims Procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

floorpie wrote: »
    This is essentially what Dell are telling me, but I can't see this made clear anywhere, so I'm not sure that it's the case.

OP you will covered under the SOGA. I never take any notice of warranty 12 months or otherwise. If the laptop developed a problem and not from misuse then Dell are required by law to Replace, repair or refund.

If they still stone wall you tell them you have no other choice but to initiate a small claims case against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sorry to get techy... but the problem and cause don't exactly fit. Either the metal was soldered in that position from day one and the system has been continuously faulty, or it was not.
    There is a situation where metal can grow 'wires' from two opposing contacts (called tin whiskers), but that should not be the situation here. Given that you can see the metal short, can't you remove it with a pin or with a light brushing with a suitable object?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Sorry to get techy... but the problem and cause don't exactly fit. Either the metal was soldered in that position from day one and the system has been continuously faulty, or it was not.
    There is a situation where metal can grow 'wires' from two opposing contacts (called tin whiskers), but that should not be the situation here. Given that you can see the metal short, can't you remove it with a pin or with a light brushing with a suitable object?

No, please get techy! Especially in the case that Dell wont fix it, I'll have to fix it myself.

It looks like swarf, a small metal shaving, and it's soldered to the pins and can't be brushed or picked away. I'd rather not remove it as I don't know if it has caused further component issues elsewhere.

I agree that the intermittent occurrence of the symptoms is strange, but the actual symptom is characteristic of a RAM, GPU failure, or cooling. I can verify that it isn't the GPU or cooling because I can remove RAM from this slot, the computer works fine, and doesn't fail under a load test. The temperatures also remain reasonable.

The pins that it covers are a data line, error checking line, and ground. So in other words it's grounding two lines.

I don't know why it was intermittent and is now persistent, but as I say, it's happened since all the drivers were updated (automatically by Dell). The GPU and integrated graphics card both share system RAM, so perhaps the new drivers allocate memory differently, I don't know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A very fine fibreglass pencil may be suitable to break the contacts if you're going down that route. Not sure I'd be too happy doing that myself on a laptop of that cost though and that's the field I work in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Regardless, it's clearly a production fault from the start. the OP might have been had odd errors but put those down to software issues over the time. Now after proper investigation, the fault is very clear and Irish law, let alone EU law, makes it clear that it must be covered by the maufacturer.

It might be worth paying a solicitor to send a letter complete with photos of the RAM slot and evidence showing the fault. Worth following up given the clarity of the manufacturing fault.

• Advertisement

Here are some pics of the offending speck if anybody's interested. See if you can spot it in the Overall view!

It raises up so I can't get it in focus very well. It's soldered (I believe) to at least 3 pins. If you zoom into Macro6.jpg you can see the joint between the two right-most pins.

Maybe I'm wrong that it's a fault that came in manufacturing, but I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭paul71

Did you buy directly from Dell or from a retailer?

The warranty is completely irrelevant as your rights are protected by The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act. Under said act you can claim up to six years after the purchase for a fault which can be shown to be present at the time of sale, the exact phrase in the act is "fit for purpose".

This act predates (1980) the EU directives and since it was deemed to exceed the protections given by the more recent EU directives, Ireland did not need to bring in new legislation.

Bear in mind my first question, who did you buy from, Dell directly or an intermediary retailer because your contact is with that entity and your recourse under the legislation is with the person with whom you made that contract.

paul71 wrote: »
    Did you buy directly from Dell or from a retailer?

The warranty is completely irrelevant as your rights are protected by The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act. Under said act you can claim up to six years after the purchase for a fault which can be shown to be present at the time of sale, the exact phrase in the act is "fit for purpose".

This act predates (1980) the EU directives and since it was deemed to exceed the protections given by the more recent EU directives, Ireland did not need to bring in new legislation.

Bear in mind my first question, who did you buy from, Dell directly or an intermediary retailer because your contact is with that entity and your recourse under the legislation is with the person with whom you made that contract.

Bought it directly from Dell. Is that better or worse....

Better as Dell are unlikely to go out of business in the next few weeks unlike many small retailers. Just tell them you are not relying on the warranty but on the sale of goods act, if they don't satisfy you with redress by one of the 3 rs (refund, replacement, repair) dont waste any more time and lodge with smalls court, but you must first give them the opportunity to redress.

Better as Dell are unlikely to go out of business in the next few weeks unlike many small retailers. Just tell them you are not relying on the warranty but on the sale of goods act, if they don't satisfy you with redress by one of the 3 rs (refund, replacement, repair) dont waste any more time and lodge with smalls court, but you must first give them the opportunity to redress.

Thanks. It appeared to be an Indian call centre and they had no clue about any act or guarantee (or pretended not to know at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well done spotting it. It's clearly a piece of a meteorite. :pac:

I'd be whipping it off with a soldering iron.
    It may have fallen onto the board during the flow-soldering process and the connection may have been marginal between two of the pins at the time, meaning it passed Dell's bench-tests. Then as time went on the connection bridged due to thermal throttling.

I'd be whipping it off with a soldering iron.

Sorely tempted but I didn't like Dell's dismissive attitude today so it's become a matter of principle now :P

Thanks. It appeared to be an Indian call centre and they had no clue about any act or guarantee (or pretended not to know at least).

Try and get an email from them saying that. Also I just noticed that you may be over the limit (2000 euro) for small claims. You might be able to get around that because it is over 1 year old and may have depreciated in value as a result but maybe speak to a court clerk about that first.

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/F9B49A71A85F662C802580B100635032?opendocument&l=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I would put in the claim if I were you. Just ensure to name the correct entity. That's key.

Warranty is a threshold, a safety net. A laptop can be got for €300+. Yours is at the upper end of consumer or even business laptops. That signifies, to a judge, that your laptop, being premium, has an expectation of lasting longer and providing that premium experience you purchased for longer.

It's a small fee. You have little to lose and are being fair-minded in your approach.

https://search.cro.ie/company/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=152213&type=B

As per previous poster, you need to make sure you have the correct name and details on the small claims documents.

https://search.cro.ie/company/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=152213&type=B

Cross check this with the website and any invoices you got when buying the laptop.

Just type in Dell Ireland in the search field on the Company Registration office link above. It comes up with an address in Cherrywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Can you roll back the latest update to prove that the laptop was usable until now, and fault was not recent?

That photo is fairly compelling evidence on its own.

Thanks so much everyone for the info.

When putting in a claim, can you specify any outcome that you'd prefer? The same spec laptop is still above 2k so I'd rather it was repaired/replaced than lose money. Although any redress would be preferable to none.
    Can you roll back the latest update to prove that the laptop was usable until now, and fault was not recent?

That photo is fairly compelling evidence on its own.

Yeah I could do that, good idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't specify

Its quite plausible that once someone other than a L1 call centre drone sees the case - e.g. whoever handles the court contact - that they'll send someone out to replace the motherboard on-site as they do with business customers.

Here are some pics of the offending speck if anybody's interested. See if you can spot it in the Overall view!

It raises up so I can't get it in focus very well. It's soldered (I believe) to at least 3 pins. If you zoom into Macro6.jpg you can see the joint between the two right-most pins.

Maybe I'm wrong that it's a fault that came in manufacturing, but I don't think so.

This is pure speculation on my part, but is that an insect that became soldered to the pins?

This is pure speculation on my part, but is that an insect that became soldered to the pins?

It's hard to see from a 2d pic but looking through a lens it's more clearly smoothly "soldered" to the pins on the right. On the left it gets janky and rough.

Here's perhaps a better view showing two connected pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

As others said Soga will sort you out. However do not try to remove the ram or go messing with it. Leave it to dell to fix replace or refund

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

Would removing the cover underneath not void your warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

shane. wrote: »

would that be the expired warranty they wont uphold?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

would that be the expired warranty they wont uphold?
    Yep that’s the one

• Advertisement

shane. wrote: »

First thing I checked, and apparently not once you don't damage anything while upgrading. The manual walks you through upgrading all the components, and specifies this. I haven't performed any upgrades, and the issue I have couldn't happen through my own fault (imo).

Plus...what Xterminator said.

Advertisement