Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mint Office- Just when you thought you were safe-

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saraconn96

Hi guys
    I was hoping that someone had a similar experience to me with the Dublin Mint Office. Basically I ordered a coin for my grandmother and that was fine, we received it and she was happy. after that they start sending marketing letters, emails and phoning me. once when I picked up the phone they told me they were sending me this coin and that they would charge for it and I could return it. I didn't even get a word in before they hung up. sure enough the coin came and the money left my account. another few months passed with more emails, calls and letters until finally we got a letter saying we owed for the second coin and some coin we did not order or receive. now they are sending the debt to a debt collection agency. should I just ignore them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

These scummers are being covered on Liveline today.

[This is the best megathread for DMO isnt it?]

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

I'm seeing a big push on YouTube ads for these lads. Is this recent enough resurgence? Tried to report the advert to YouTube but there's no where to report it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jim Fitzpatrick basically apologised on Twitter for ever getting involved with them last night. He's in all their current ads I think.

CEO on the loiiiiiveline today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The downside of WFH.....seeing these ads in daytime TV.

Presumably it's worth the to advertise and produce this tatt....who is buying it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The downside of WFH.....seeing these ads in daytime TV.

Presumably it's worth the to advertise and produce this tatt....who is buying it?

The elderly, and people who have delusions that stuff becomes valuable just because someone tells you it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Until reading this thread I thought they were a legitimate governmet department and had thought of ordering from them before.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Until reading this thread I thought they were a legitimate governmet department and had thought of ordering from them before.

You arent alone. They're intentionally similar names to make it seem like a state body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Some shower, make the gang coming to the door looking to replace the tarmac look like saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

The fact that the CEO (or however he styles himself) was confident enough to go on JD yesterday demonstrates that what this shower do is unethical but not illegal.

They deliberately target the older and/or more vulnerable with their products and reap the rewards.

I well remember the stamp collecting craze of the 60's, this company adverstised in children's comics. Free stamps, then we'll send you books of stamps "on approval" so that you can chose the ones you want to buy and return the unwanted ones (holding out the hope of getting a really valuable stamp and making £££'s.

I remember we signed up for this, got the book of stamps but never returned any of them.

I suspect the publicity will dampen down the advertising for now, I see where Knock got their fingers burnt by associating themselves with thisoperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I've been seeing multiples of these adverts a day on YouTube; just saw one now in fact. Even the way they present the advertisement: "An important announcement from the Dublin Mint Office...".

It's a shame because there are actually genuine coins minted by the Central Bank and available online but I don't think I've ever seen an ad for it: https://www.collectorcoins.ie/

Liveline is a good place to highlight this company as at least some of the overall target audience of this company will be listening and will hopefully spread the news to others.

Also, wondering if anyone affected adversely has made a complaint via the CCPC. Details below

https://www.ccpc.ie

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/

Advertisement