Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mint Office- Just when you thought you were safe-

Options
  • 12-07-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Thought things were sorted with the Dublin Mint Office- but no. They're back. For those of you that aren't familiar with last years saga, they kept sending coins I didn't order, then insisted I pay for them. When I returned them (which I wasn't even obliged to do) they pretended they never got them. So many of us had the same experience so after much fighting, they stopped contact. Then today, got another email demanding money I don't owe.
    Here is the email?

We have been retained by our client The Dublin Mint Office Limited to contact you regarding settlement of your outstanding account. Our records show that a balance of € 47.9 remains outstanding.

Despite numerous requests, you have failed to discharge the overdue balance. We must stress the urgency of this matter and hereby request payment in full.

Please forward immediate payment by cheque, postal order or bank draft to :

RCS Debt Management
    Rathebe Limited
    Suite 9,
    Bunkilla Plaza,
    Bracetown Business Park,
    Clonee,
    Co Meath

You can also lodge directly into our bank account, (please quote 7000235312) details of which are :
    Bank of Ireland, Rathfarnam, Dublin 14
    Account Number 83474788
    Sort Code 900201

Alternatively, you can pay through our paypal account - reply to this email requesting this option and we will forward you the relevant details.

You can also call us on 01-6910943.

We trust we will receive prompt payment in response to this letter. Please quote the Dublin Mint Office account number 7000235312 with all correspondence.

Failure to discharge your account immediately will result in further charges being applied to your account.

Yours faithfully,

Collections Team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I'm no expert, but a couple of observations:

1) The € 47.9 is typed VERY unprofessionally IMHO. Why a space between the € & the 4? Also, where is the zero afer the 9?

2) Rathebe is an African name. I have absolutly NOTHING against Africa/African people having lived there for many years, but why use an African company ( Rathebe Limited) in such a situation? &

3) I am not a legal expert as I say, but I would question the language in the following sentence 'Despite numerous requests, you have failed to discharge the overdue balance'. I have never come across language like this.

This company could be legitemate but personally, I would be very cautious.

Is there any chance this is a scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I thought it was very badly written too, but nothing would surprise me with The Dublin Mint Office.
    I replied to the email saying that I sent back the coins so owe nothing. Be interested to see if anyone else got the same email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

phi3 wrote: »
    I thought it was very badly written too, but nothing would surprise me with The Dublin Mint Office.
    I replied to the email saying that I sent back the coins so owe nothing. Be interested to see if anyone else got the same email.

And have they come back to You? I have had no dealings with TDMO ( thankfully), but this just seems odd, especially the choice of language and how the money number was typed.

I could be wrong, and everything is legit, but with things the way they are these days, one can never be too cautious.

No answer from them yet anyway.

• Advertisement

I clicked on the http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/home_more_details/11-02-11/Appointment_of_Examiner_Murray_Nolan_Limited.aspx link that Tow sent. They were placed into EXAMINERSHIP on 11 February last year. On the solocheck website that Tow sent in, this company is in RECEIVERSHIP.

Be VERY CAREFUL Phi3. I smell a scam here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'd just bin it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Tow

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Different company: Same person, Same Address...

Another quick Google has Suite 9 up for rent on MyHome.
    And a Chirstmas Savings club!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

153M2 for €15,000/month?

Don't think there'll be too many takers of that:-)

Makes the email that Phi3 got from this gang more and more dodgy! Good that it's highlighted though, especially if it stops more people falling into this 'trap'.

Wonder is it a Dublin Mint Office Scam or just a random scam?

• Advertisement

BTW They had my Dublin mint office account number and full name and address at the top of the email.

Wonder is it a Dublin Mint Office Scam or just a random scam?

Good question. Is there any way to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I doubt Rathebe are a scam company exactly, more that the Dublin Mint are still chasing you for a bill run up due to their own dishonestly or ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For those of you that aren't familiar with last years saga, they kept sending coins I didn't order, then insisted I pay for them.
    Write back, demand that they pay for courier of your choice to collect the coins from you and deliver them back to the company on the same day.

I already sent them back, but big surprise they're pretending they never received them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I clicked on the http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/home_more_details/11-02-11/Appointment_of_Examiner_Murray_Nolan_Limited.aspx link that Tow sent. They were placed into EXAMINERSHIP on 11 February last year. On the solocheck website that Tow sent in, this company is in RECEIVERSHIP.

That's a company called Murray Nolan Limited which appears to operate out of the same address as Rathebe Limited, which is not in Receivership and is trading as normal.

OP, if you are being contacted by a debt recovery agency about this I suggest you request from them:

1) A copy of the original order you sent to them
    2) A copy of the terms and conditions of the sales contract and evidence of your agreement to these terms and conditions (i.e. a signed copy)
    3) Copy of the invoice for the sales
    4) Copy of the proof of delivery

They won't be able to give you most of these as you didn't order the goods in the first place (as I understand it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

the_syco wrote: »
    Write back, demand that they pay for courier of your choice to collect the coins from you and deliver them back to the company on the same day.

Writing back to a bogus debt collector is the worst thing you can do.

I'd just ignore it and let them ring me instead and when they ask is this X person, say you'll go get them, leave the phone down and go off to the shops or have a cup of tea or something.

Worst case you go to court (which will never happen) and its thrown out because the debt doesn't exist.

Or your could post them some Antique Paperclips and then send letters demanding payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Actually yes, this is probably better advice (provided you aren't getting an actual court summons!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Newaglish wrote: »
    Actually yes, this is probably better advice (provided you aren't getting an actual court summons!)

No one in their right mind would take someone to court for 47euro

• Advertisement

http://rathebe.ie/

That's their site

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Hi,

My mother is another sufferer of the Dublin mint office unsavioury terms of trade. (they are not scam artists, they just stretch the limits of the legal terms of doing business.

Dublin mint office info for future reference - -

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980
    Unsolicited goods.

47.—(1) Where—

(a) unsolicited goods are sent to a person with a view to his acquiring them and are received by him, and

(b) the recipient has neither agreed to acquire nor agreed to return them,

and either—

(i) during the period of six months following the date of receipt of the goods the sender did not take possession of them and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so, or

(ii) not less than 30 days before the expiration of that period the recipient gave notice to the sender and during the following 30 days the sender did not take possession of the goods and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so,

then the recipient may treat the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him and any right of the sender to the goods shall be extinguished.

(2) The notice referred to in subsection (1) shall be in writing and shall state—

(a) the recipient's name and address and the address at which the sender may take possession of the goods (if not the same) and

(b) that the goods are unsolicited.

(3) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment, in the course of any business, makes a demand for payment, or asserts a present or prospective right to payment for what he knows are unsolicited goods sent to another person with a view to his acquiring them, shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment in the course of any business and with a view to obtaining any payment for what he knows or ought to know are unsolicited goods—

(a) threatens to bring any legal proceedings,

(b) places or causes to be placed the name of any person on a list of defaulters or debtors or threatens to do so, or

(c) invokes or causes to be invoked any other collection procedure or threatens to do so,

shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) In this section—

“acquire” includes hire,

“send” includes deliver,

“sender” includes any person on whose behalf or with whose consent the goods are sent and any other person claiming through or under the sender or any such person,

“unsolicited” means, in relation to goods sent to any person, that they are sent without any prior request by him or on his behalf.

Hi from this it can be assumed if you recieve any unsolicted mail - i.e. coins etc - next time send the dublin mint office a letter by registered post saying the goods are available for collection --- You are not required to return the goods!

If they do not collect the goods within the time limits the goods are yours -- you can ignore other letters etc requiring payment as they have no case.

They will keep sending additional coins/letters etc anyway as most members already know!!

I intend on getting a garda witness for any future coins that come and letters I post back.

Pretty sure thats the case with these issues - other opinions welcome with regard to my take on this matter

all the best

U2ME

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and the 2 lads worked for shopdirect/marlboro trust etc? Pure dodgy but don't think its a scam but more of chancing their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sean O Hara

Don't waste any time on these people it is just a <SNIP> plain and simple.

They sent out a few unsolicited coins last year (after my mother bought one).

They then sent out letters demanding ever increasing amounts of money which I just binned. I never once responded to any communication and they eventually left us alone. I imagine your problem is that once you engaged them they thought they had you on the hook. I also kept the extra (crappy) coins they sent out because it's not my job to go to the post office and send back their tat.

Just ignore them; they are nothing but <SNIP>. It's especially upsetting when you consider that many of the people who would engage these <SNIP> are pensioners and might end up paying.

Just got this email from collections@rfpcredit.ie now :rolleyes:
    All of a sudden now they seem to have found a coin I sent back to them but not the other. Strange when I sent them all in one package :rolleyes:

Good Afternoon Phi3,

Dublin Mint Office are saying they have received the Monaco medal back
    but the Vatican is still outstanding.

They are looking for you to send in proof of postage, if you do not
    have this then Dublin Mint Office are saying you are still liable for
    payment for the coin.

Best Regards

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Just got this email from collections@rfpcredit.ie now :rolleyes:
    All of a sudden now they seem to have found a coin I sent back to them but not the other. Strange when I sent them all in one package :rolleyes:

Good Afternoon Phi3,

Dublin Mint Office are saying they have received the Monaco medal back
    but the Vatican is still outstanding.

They are looking for you to send in proof of postage, if you do not
    have this then Dublin Mint Office are saying you are still liable for
    payment for the coin.

Best Regards

<SNIP>

Gardai, this must be close to extortion

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Hi all, I'm having a few troubles with the Dublin Mint Office, I'd really appreciate some advice, so, thanks if you can help :)

I made the unfortunate choice to order something from The Dublin Mint Office at the end of July. My coin was delivered damaged almost 5 weeks later - needless to say, I was not impressed. They agreed to discount €10 of the cost of the coin (€14.95) as a "goodwill gesture". I paid the remaining balance of €4.95.

A month later, I received another coin from the DMO with a cost price of €29.95. I am fully aware of my rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act, and, I know that I have no obligation to return goods that I have not ordered under the "inertia selling" protection. I have made the Dublin Mint Office aware of this law via an email (which is pasted at the end of this email for reference).

This morning, I received a letter informing me that the balance will be forwarded to their debt collection agency and I owe them the balance of €49.95. When I looked at the account, I discovered that in fact, they had never credited the €10 goodwill gesture that was originally promised, and, on top of this, they added late payment fees for the coin.

I have made the company aware they have 30 days from the sending of the email to collect the coin which they sent "for approval" that I did not order. I made it clear to them over the phone I did not want any more coins, however, they still sent me a second coin.

I wanted to email you to make sure I am going about this in the correct manner and that, legally, they have no leg to stand on. I would appreciate if you could advise me on the best way to approach this letter, or, should I just ignore it?

EMAIL SENT TO THE DUBLIN MINT OFFICE (DATED 21st September 2012)
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I have already notified you of the fact you sent me goods which I did not want and did not order. Under the SALE OF GOODS AND SUPPLY OF SERVICES ACT 1980, any goods which are sent to me without my prior consent do not have to be paid for. They are available to collect by the sender for 30 calendar days (of which 6 days have passed) from the date of the correspondence. If the goods are not collected in the remaining 24 days, the ownership of the goods pass to me without any payment occurring.

If you want to collect the coin, it is available at my address on file. Otherwise, do not send me another threatening letter or you will be getting a report to the National Consumer Agency. You have been made aware of your legal stance.

Regards,
    Mr R. Miller

Cheers to all who can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into an existing thread - OP, you may also want to read the thread here for more information

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

just send them an email/letter telling them to F<SNIP> OFF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

nbar12 wrote: »
    just send them an email/letter telling them to F<SNIP> OFF

And not receive any more free firelighters !!! Are you mad?!?!

Advertisement