Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Trudeau

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Almost as if most of them aren't jihadists....
    F***ing mental, eh!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't have issues with his policies, I do however have issues with dumb political discourse around him. I don't care if politician is attractive or if he photobombs people while running or if he wears Star Wars socks. All this is just ridiculous noise to drown out criticism of his policies.

A politician was buried last week. He was overweight, unsophisticated, failed miserably at relationships with those closest to him and yet he shaped Europe in the last 30 years more than possibly any other politician. And yet we don't discuss Helmut Kohl, we are talking about Trudeau because he is cute and wears Star Wars socks.

but this is After Hours, supposed to be lighthearted afaik:)

why don't you open a thread in the politics forum, discussing Helmut Kohl, I would be in..:):P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

jmayo wrote: »
    Now there was a statesman with actually a bit of forward thinking.
    What has Europe and Germany got today, oh yeah Frau Merkel. :rolleyes:

Khol had his flaws too. Merkel is not more reactive than visionary but there is a lot to admire about her. Anyway she is a politician who works hard to avoid superficial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes. And?
    Many online right-wingers use that term to refer to themselves, some even take pride in it. It's a description, not a baseless pejorative.
    So you can redirect that :rolleyes: back towards yourself.

To me ALT Right is a keyboard sequence.
    Add in CTRL and see what happens. ;)

Maybe some label themselves as such, but I do think it is often a term fired out at anyone not subscribing to the media driven, facebook/twitter generation idea that everyone, every idea, every ideology, every religion is equally the same and equally deserving of respect and accommodation.

Except the real truth is that even those subscribing to the above ideas of equality usually do not actually believe that all are equal.

Anyone seen as being on this right are actually deserving of condemnation and even being physically attacked.

There is usually uproar if someone goes on the media or posts on the web that it was ok and perfectly acceptable for a muslim or minority to be assaulted.
    And only an idiot would condone such assaults.

But then just watch how many people, posters even on these forums, think it is acceptable and actually laud the physical attacks on those they view as right wing.

Christians, catholics in particular, are often ridiculed and lambasted for the behaviour of their clergy.
    White males are often blamed for all the ills of the world.

There is this mindset currently at play that anyone not subscribing to modern gender political correctness, positive discrimination, unfethered immigration into Europe and the Western world by a group of people primarily subscribing to an ideology often completely at odds with that of most of the Western world, is automatically a racist gay bashing sexist misogynistic christian white supremacist nazi oaf.

And the real laugh is when suddenly someone like Milo Yiannopoulos comes along some have a hissy fit because suddenly all of the above no longer applies.
    Likewise with non white anti islam protesters who no longer fit the narrative about white racists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,449 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone seen as being on this right are actually deserving of condemnation and even being physically attacked.

There is usually uproar if someone goes on the media or posts on the web that it was ok and perfectly acceptable for a muslim or minority to be assaulted.
    And only an idiot would condone such assaults.

But then just watch how many people, posters even on these forums, think it is acceptable and actually laud the physical attacks on those they view as right wing.

Oh please. There is no shortage of violent far right activists who you're happy to turn a blind eye to. I don't condone physical attacks on anyone but you're only concerned when people who agree with your world view get attacked. That's a double standard.
    Christians, catholics in particular, are often ridiculed and lambasted for the behaviour of their clergy.
    White males are often blamed for all the ills of the world.

And Muslims are blamed for the actions of jihadists, IS and other terrorists, something you're happy to do. Another double standard.
    There is this mindset currently at play that anyone not subscribing to modern gender political correctness, positive discrimination, unfethered immigration into Europe and the Western world by a group of people primarily subscribing to an ideology often completely at odds with that of most of the Western world, is automatically a racist gay bashing sexist misogynistic christian white supremacist nazi oaf.

This mindset is only present in right wingers who want to play the victim card. Frankly, it's pathetic that you can't rationally defend your beliefs without pretending to be oppressed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've already had enough of this guy today and then I see a picture of him trying to play hurling on the paper today.I love hurling but is there anything more cringeworthy than everytime we have a foreign visitor we invariably make sure he has a hurl or pint of Guinness in his hand, and whats worse is they brought out Ciaran Kilkenny for this hurl picture which doesn't make any sense seeing as he doesn't play for the Dublin hurlers anymore and decided to play football instead.

Why have we fallen in love with Canada all of a sudden I can't remember any big hoo ha being made over any other Canadian Prime minister visiting here.

(If this post appears to be anti Canadian it isn't I really like Neil Young,Maple Syrup and Ice Hockey).

I've already had enough of this guy today and then I see a picture of him trying to play hurling on the paper today.I love hurling but is there anything more cringeworthy than everytime we have a foreign visitor we invariably make sure he has a hurl or pint of Guinness in his hand, and whats worse is they brought out Ciaran Kilkenny for this hurl picture which doesn't make any sense seeing as he doesn't play for the Dublin hurlers anymore and decided to play football instead.
    I don't know if you've ever used the word snowflake, or if you agree that it's as daft a term as I think it is.

But I'm pretty sure you've just waived your right to ever accuse someone of it.

It's remarkable to me how much this utterly innocuous man seems to really affect people, who seem to be 'cringing' and squirming -- and downright angry -- at such minor issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Almost as if most of them aren't jihadists....

Almost as if Canada has an extremely stringent system for immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Yes. And?
    Many online right-wingers use that term to refer to themselves, some even take pride in it. It's a description, not a baseless pejorative.
    So you can redirect that :rolleyes: back towards yourself.

The term is incoherent even in the US. Here its just mud slinging.

Almost as if Canada has an extremely stringent system for immigration.

Almost as if Canada has a higher per capita refugee population (and higher per capita foreign born population) than [edit] all but 2-3 EU countries, Toronto being 51% foreign born.

But then again, most of the recent terror attacks in Europe have come from people born in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why have we fallen in love with Canada all of a sudden I can't remember any big hoo ha being made over any other Canadian Prime minister visiting here.

(If this post appears to be anti Canadian it isn't I really like Neil Young,Maple Syrup and Ice Hockey).

Because "we" hate Trump and lauded that other vacuous, soundbyte shill politician who looked good in a suit, Obama. Trudeau is like Obama.

Talks out of both sides of him mouth but he wears Eid socks at a Gay Pride parade, has really nice hair and has a nice butt and hey....everyone overseas swoons.

Macron is the same. Another Neoliberal shill who is young and photogenic and the morons will lap it up. Even though he has as much depth as a puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Because he's hawt like our Leo. All about the aesthetics.

As for the obligatory hurl and pint routine, it'll be interesting to see if the anti-Trump agenda will be put to one side if he pays a visit. Sure we all love fawning over the celebs, and who are we to break tradition :D

Very nice. Also an extremely stringent immigration system. Extremely. Keeps out most undesirables. Kind of thing ukip wanted post brexit.
    Actually this came up with someone just the other day...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/01/canada-mexico-immigrants-visas-asylum-tourism
    Officials in Canada are readying for a potential surge in Mexican migrants, as a promise to scrap a visa requirement comes into effect amid uncertainty over Donald Trump’s promises to crack down on undocumented immigrants.

Could you go into some detail though, on this 'extremely strict' immigration system? Because I knew people from all over the place when I was there, with a very varied level of skill-sets and backgrounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I don't know if you've ever used the word snowflake, or if you agree that it's as daft a term as I think it is.

It's remarkable to me how much this utterly innocuous man seems to really affect people, who seem to be 'cringing' and squirming -- and downright angry -- at such minor issues.

I find the whole obsession over him in the last few days quite tedious. Thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Because he represents everything that is wrong about modern politics - all flash, no substance.

Where are the politicians like Helmut Kohl, Clement Attlee, Indira Gandhi or Benazir Bhutto? Politicians of substance and principle. Even if you did not agree with everything they did.

Billy86 wrote: »
    But then again, most of the recent terror attacks in Europe have come from people born in the EU.

? not true. the Nice, London Bridge and Berlin attackers for example and also two of the Attackers from 15. Nov. 2015 in France were born outside of the EU. The Charlie Hebdo shooters were french, the Manchester and 4 of the five Brussels ones too.
    But to say most of the recent attackers were born in the EU is not the case. Maybe 50/50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Berlin_attack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_attack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2017_London_Bridge_attack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2015_Paris_attacks

tara73 wrote: »
    ? not true. the Nice, London Bridge and Berlin attackers for example and also two of the Attackers from 15. Nov. 2015 in France were born outside of the EU. The Charlie Hebdo shooters were french, the Manchester and 4 of the five Brussels ones too.
    But to say most of the recent attackers were born in the EU is not the case. Maybe 50/50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Berlin_attack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_attack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2017_London_Bridge_attack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2015_Paris_attacks
    You're probably correct there, had confused the London Bridge attackers with Manchester on that end, though there is also the Westminster attacker and the one near the Finsbury Park mosque it's more likely around 50/50 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Can we have one thread that doesn't turn into Islamist terror and Trump please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

A mass immigration lover like merkel.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Can we have one thread that doesn't turn into Islamist terror and Trump please?

you are completely right there.

I wonder, what do the canadians think of him. we are all outside of his 'real action place', so kind of arrogant of us to judge anyway. aren't here any canadians who can give us a picture.?

but then again, there are also people who will like him and people who don't..

• Advertisement

Because he represents everything that is wrong about modern politics - all flash, no substance.

Where are the politicians like Helmut Kohl, Clement Attlee, Indira Gandhi or Benazir Bhutto? Politicians of substance and principle. Even if you did not agree with everything they did.
    Ah here,. you've just listed a small number of exceptionally well-known politicians who were active over an 80-year span.

I don't think Trudeau is as vacuous as you claim, but even if he were, it's unreasonable to expect every global leader to be as historically prominent as the handful of 20th century leaders you have selected.

Why not compare him to John Diefenbaker or Joe Clark, or any other of the barely-remembered Canadian PMs of the 20th century, instead of some of the most famous figures in recent world history.

you are completely right there.

I wonder, what do the canadians think of him. we are all outside of his 'real action place', so kind of arrogant of us to judge anyway. aren't here any canadians who can give us a picture.?

but then again, there are also people who will like him and people who don't..

In Toronto anyway it's positive though not overwhelmingly so - a good 'face' of the country in terms of how he acts, lacking a bit in substance but open to ideas and input. Budget issues have caused concerns though, which is always a big one when it comes to elections and opinion polls. A few posters here have hit the nail on the head in that regard. I've been gone from there for nine months - it's the vibe I still get off friends etc over there but can't say they speak for everyone of course.

My guess is BC would be similar, Alberta (traditionalist, conservative area) and Quebec (more separatist) more negative - not too sure about the smatterings of provinces over on the east coast. The state of affairs to the south of Canada right now is likely helping him a bit too, comparatively.

Billy86 wrote: »
    In Toronto anyway it's positive though not overwhelmingly so - a good 'face' of the country in terms of how he acts

I take that literally here:D

I take that literally here:D

THAT'S WHY I SAID IN TERMS OF HOW HE ACTS!! :mad: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 John108679908

Well he's supposedly selling Canada to the Chinese- in terms of the numbers of visas being given to them. Lots of Chinese money over there-driving up the price of housing beyond the average persons reach- much the same as they're doing hear tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If just Justin as he's known to the Irish media moved to Ireland and implemented his Canadian tax laws, he would be considered far-right. These people have no perspective or knowledge of foreign regimes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_taxes_in_Canada

If just Justin as he's known to the Irish media moved to Ireland and implemented his Canadian tax laws, he would be considered far-right. These people have no perspective or knowledge of foreign regimes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_taxes_in_Canada
    A worker in Canada earning the equivalent of 31,000 euro pays 15% effective income taxes & charges.

A worker in Ireland on the same wage pays 16% effective income taxes & charges.

1% difference. Far-right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I feel he's given an easy time by the media because he's young and considered easy on the eye.
    But like Macron at the moment.
    That and he says the "right" things e.g. his comment on a gender balance to Varadkar.

That said he lauded the passing of a dictator.
    Also his countries restrictions on Syrian refugees would have people here up in arms.
    But no that's brushed over and all we here about is how welcoming Canada is and how much it supports multiculturalism.
    A worker in Canada earning the equivalent of 31,000 euro pays 15% effective income taxes & charges.

A worker in Ireland on the same wage pays 16% effective income taxes & charges.

1% difference. Far-right?
    You need to try more than one figure.
    As you go up in wages the Canadian system would start to offer very nice savings for the higher earning tax payers of this country.
    Given how our Taoiseach is already been compared to Thatcher and his party compared to the US Republicans, I don't think such a suggestion would be well received.
    I wouldn't put it past certain political parties to brand such a move as far-right.

You need to try more than one figure.
    Sorry but I'm not going to spend my time doing more tax calculations, when the evidence is already perfectly clear.

Ireland has lower average taxes on income than Canada does

http://www.oecd.org/tax/tax-policy/taxing-wages-ireland.pdf

As for very high earners, I don't think many people would have a problem with these people paying less so long as the cost didn't fall on low or middle-income workers (in reality, nobody earning more than even 70k pays the full whack of tax. I don't even earn 70k yet, and even I decrease my tax liability by pension contributions, for example, and get fairly generous tax relief for this).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah here,. you've just listed a small number of exceptionally well-known politicians who were active over an 80-year span.

I don't think Trudeau is as vacuous as you claim, but even if he were, it's unreasonable to expect every global leader to be as historically prominent as the handful of 20th century leaders you have selected.

Why not compare him to John Diefenbaker or Joe Clark, or any other of the barely-remembered Canadian PMs of the 20th century, instead of some of the most famous figures in recent world history.

I'd take José Mujica over Benazir Bhutto

Advertisement