Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Boyle cover up by mainstream media

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I agree with everything you say however I do Believe Gemma O'Doherty is using this story for her own agenda. She pulsar care less about Mary Boyle or her family, this is about her getting revenge and she doesn't care who she takes along with her for the ride.

She tweeted last week that the commissioner sent to Gardai to her door. She ever stated what they questioned or spoke to her about it was more amazed that they managed to find out where she lived which is an utterly thing for an investigative journalist to come out with. Is she so detached from reality that she doesn't think the Gardai could manage to find out her address? Is this not something she does herself all the time when investigating stories?

I fully agree that there a lot lot of questions to be answered in relation to Mary Boyle but I think Gemma's approach is wrong. She's using the plight of Mary Boyles family for her own agenda.

If she had taken NO approach it would all still be left swept under the carpet.

She has arranged public screenings followed by a discussion around the country, two over the last two nights in Donegal, something that either displays courage or a complete lack of brain cells, and I go with the former.

She cannot be undertaking this escapade unless she has the two ex gardai on film which has not been released naming everyone involved and further details that are not in the public domain.

She is calling the bluff of the establishment (silly word, but covers a lot) in getting them to make the first move to open the can of worms that this case will spill.

Other than that she's completely nuts, and I don't think that's the case, do you?

She has an agenda, but I see it doing no harm to anyone that has nothing to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Just reading through this thread and I feel the need to come back to the views of Tyrant.

So initially you try and down play the documentary I think perhaps before watching? Or perhaps you have watched it? Then you try and defend a position by arguing over the definition of a "conspiracy theory".
    You do not believe there is any conspiracy but make use of the word paranoid to describe individuals that do.
    You then quickly shift focus on the actual documentary to your opinion of Gemma O'Doherty and talk about her axe to grind with the Gardai...

I then see you kind of went quiet for the rest of the thread which is of no wonder.

So you do not warrant anything in the documentary?
    You do not warrant that the two gardai at the time of the investigation state clearly they where told by a prominent political figure to "look elsewhere" whilst interviewing a suspect which both gardai now and continue to believe is the person responsible for the disappearance of Mary Boyle??

I find you comment on this matter shocking I can only guess you are one of two things, someone with connection to the "establishment" i.e. political party or perhaps the gardai or maybe something less sinister and something that is rampant is this country an entrenched fool!

Gemma O'Doherty was let go from a publication for her work around the gardai points scandal which was a complete embarrassment to the gardai. She then sued said publication and rightly so.

Corruption in Ireland is not paranoid delusion, the establishment in any society should always be questioned.
    Just take a look at the tax fiasco with apple at the moment!

One of the problems in Ireland is the press in that it is essentially monopolised, there are not enough people like Gemma who are willing to question the establishment and hold people to account.

I think your attempt to undermine the work Gemma has done specifically in this documentary speaks more to your own character and views, which I place using your own words as "lowest-common-denominator" of thinking!

Maybe you think gardai should be allowed to operate outside the law?
    Maybe you think politicians should be allowed to operate to their own benefit and not the benefit of the state and it's constituents?
    Maybe you think it is OK that a 6 year old girl disappears and that political influences where allowed to interfere with the investigation?

I agree with everything you say however I do Believe Gemma O'Doherty is using this story for her own agenda. She pulsar care less about Mary Boyle or her family, this is about her getting revenge and she doesn't care who she takes along with her for the ride.

She tweeted last week that the commissioner sent to Gardai to her door. She ever stated what they questioned or spoke to her about it was more amazed that they managed to find out where she lived which is an utterly thing for an investigative journalist to come out with. Is she so detached from reality that she doesn't think the Gardai could manage to find out her address? Is this not something she does herself all the time when investigating stories?

I fully agree that there a lot lot of questions to be answered in relation to Mary Boyle but I think Gemma's approach is wrong. She's using the plight of Mary Boyles family for her own agenda.

OK I think we at least agree the documentary raises some very real questions so perhaps we can call this our common ground and park it to one side.

What is her agenda? I keep hearing people use this phrase agenda? So what is this agenda you must have an idea??

But before you outline her agenda let me ask do you think RTE have an agenda?
    What about further a field what about the BBC? Or America, what about FOX do they have an agenda?

If her agenda is to stick it to the gardai so what?
    What about politicians and gardai? Do they have their own agenda? Or are these agenda's OK with you?

I find it difficult to understand looking at what has been said in the documentary how Gemma's motivation for doing the documentary becomes the main focal point?

Gemma is an investigative journalist like most investigative journalists they usually are looking for a story.
    She may have an agenda she may not, she may get somethings right or perhaps some of it wrong.
    But this is literally no different to any investigative journalism anywhere else in the world and it is something Ireland lacks! We are spoon fed our news by state owned broadcasters and news groups.

But even that aside what does it matter?
    A six year old lays somewhere and has done for the last 40 years probably in a shallow grave who was robbed of a life, I do not care for the family I do not care for Gemma I only care that perhaps and just perhaps there is a chance that her remains are found and the person or persons responsible for this meet some form of justice before they depart this world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I fully agree & I for one am wise to it , but right now she is the only one in any sort of position bringing any publicity to the case

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

So somebody finally is asking serious questions in relation to gardai and politicians and the debate here is whether the journalist in question has an agenda or not? And if she does, why does this matter? Maybe we need more people with "agendas" who are finally willing to ask questions of people in authority in Ireland that most people in this country are just too afraid to ask. Instead we let people be corrupt in front of our very eyes and give out that nobody is willing to do anything about it, or when they're caught say how terrible the system is. Sometimes, people are just the worst thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Yes

This is where it gets confusing. The only present sitting TD from that constituency wasn't elected until 1981. Mary was murdered in 1977 so what TD made the call? I've looked at the TDs for Donegal from the 1977 election and none of them are still sitting today.

Just came across the TD making a statement about the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUPMMl4k3UI

http://crimeblogger1983.blogspot.ie/2016/09/mary-boyle-irelands-oldest-missing.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

naasrd wrote: »
    This is where it gets confusing. The only present sitting TD from that constituency wasn't elected until 1981. Mary was murdered in 1977 so what TD made the call? I've looked at the TDs for Donegal from the 1977 election and none of them are still sitting today.

Just came across the TD making a statement about the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUPMMl4k3UI

http://crimeblogger1983.blogspot.ie/2016/09/mary-boyle-irelands-oldest-missing.html

Is not a TD but a county councillor

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/family-confused-at-husbands-claims-about-wife-now-missing-four-months-35907761.html

This article seems unafraid to include some heavy inneundo highlighting a missing woman's husband's questionable theory for her disappearance, which is interesting to contrast with the media's continued feting of Ann Boyle, Mary Boyle's mother, who (although not implicated in the disappearance) has provided some fairly eyebrow-raising explanations of her own about Mary's disappearance.

One of her theories was that her six-year-old daughter had left the family's house with the intention of travelling by foot across Donegal and into Northern Ireland to visit a toy shop some of whose products she had seen through the window, and that this resulted in her disappearance. There is also the fact that she stated in a 1990s interview that she believed that Mary was dead, before doing a sharp u-turn and opposing an inquest on the basis that she couldn't accept the presumption that her daughter was dead.

The contrast between the article and the media's approach to Mrs Boyle is particularly noteworthy given Mary Boyle is the State's most famous missing person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Why have the Independent put this article behind a pay wall? You would think with a missing person case it would be freely available to peruse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With the death of this man, will there be any further progress in the case now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Isn't it generally accepted the Uncle done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hinted at, I'd say, rather than accepted.

Now he's not around, is anyone going to come forward and openly accuse him of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Does my head in that! I'll never pay.

Gemma Doherty is completely bonkers but her investigation that

was on Youtube was good.

I don't think we will ever know what really happened now the

Uncle has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Very hard to know. Those that spoke out up to now and made further statements to the Gardai over the last decade about whom they believed was involved in her disappearance may well now decide to come on TV and speak freely about what information they have.

But unless if this person who died knew something surrounding the disappearance of this girl and left some form of statement behind, I don’t think we’re any closer to bringing closure to this case.

Robert Black (demonic scum) was a truck driver around Scotland and Ulster at the time. His name has been thrown into the mix: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Black_(serial_killer)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

So I’m not the only one? Read Barry Cummin’s Missing again recently and with outside people ruled out and no leads in the community, it was either an opportunistic snatch by someone not known to the Law at the time or someone in the family or very close to it.

Absolutely tragic.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did the uncle live in the area until he died? imagine that life, especially if he didn't do it.

Advertisement