Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Boyle cover up by mainstream media

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Although I had heard about this case, I never really knew the story that well.

Just watched the YouTube piece, and its shockig that this case has been allowed to go so long without being sorted out.

Its quite obvious now who is the killer, but I don't understand why so much was done over the years, and right up to the present day, to protect him. Its not as if he is a big name, someone famous or well connected. He's just a normal memner of the public, a farmer and the fact that the authorities are letting a killer walk around is something I just can't grasp.

Shint0 wrote: »
    I didn't see the documentary but was there any reference as to why the mother didn't want the case investigated?

It appears to simply be because she is related to the chief suspect and its hard to admit that such a person sexually abused and murdered your child.

Although in my opinion she is no mother if she holds these views.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

I've just watched the documentary as well. I knew a little about the case, but I didn't realise just how corrupt things were!
    Disgraceful carry on by the Superintendant and the politician, to say the least.

I agree with NIMAN, Ann Boyle is definiately no mother if she feels that protecting her relative is more important, than getting justice for her daughter!

Is Marys disappearance possibly linked to a wider child abuse ring in the area, and the reason why there has been so little investigation done over the years? Maybe too many people in high places might have been implicated?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/10/22/a-corner-of-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Dolbert wrote: »
    Interestingly, I recently read reports that Mary's mother is one of the people who categorically *doesn't* want this particular individual investigated, and doesn't support Ann's mission in this regard. Allegedly she even has it in her will that she doesn't want this line of enquiry to happen, even after her own death. I'm not saying it's true, but if so it certainly leaves some very troubling questions and indeed it does seem like she has threatened to sue the makers of the forthcoming documentary.

Was not aware you could put something like that in a will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

full doc here, gemma Doherty must be the only genuine journalist ..

i thought i knew a bit about the case but obvs not as much:mad:

agree that her mary boyles mother is an evil cnut if she prefers to keep her family' secret' over finding marys body. :(

the politican who interfered is still serving id love to see this come out at a public enquiry and the show made the point of mentioning the dodgy suspect uncle gallagher was in fianna fail..

the family have been let down by every politican and garda, only lynn boylan and mary--lou of sinn fein and the retired ballyshannon detectives have no fear to speak her name

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Was not aware you could put something like that in a will.

Surely the law of the land overrides any decision by an individual in a will.

If the killer is still alive, its a matter for the Guards, not Marys mother and her dying wish.

Then again, the Guards don't seem to want to know.

davycc wrote: »

i thought i knew a bit about the case but obvs not as much:mad:

agree that her mary boyles mother is an evil cnut if she prefers to keep her family' secret' over finding marys body. :(

the politican who interfered is still serving id love to see this come out at a public enquiry and the show made the point of mentioning the dodgy suspect uncle gallagher was in fianna fail..

the family have been let down by every politican and garda, only lynn boylan and mary--lou of sinn fein and the retired ballyshannon detectives have no fear to speak her name

What struck me about the mother's desire to keep things quiet is that it is very similar to the refusal of some parents
    in the past in Ireland to support their children when they were being abused. The disgrace and humiliation for the family
    if this got out! I find it really, really weird that the mother has gone as far as putting it in her will that she does not want
    an inquiry into Mary's disappearance, even after her own death. What is THAT about??

surely the Gardai and the people who run them, or oversee them, have new faces since those times, and should be above any cover-up?

If I was a new detective now in Donegal, I'd want to be the one to solve this. I'd make it my No1 priiority, and if anyone tried to block me, I'd plaster their names all over the media.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely the law of the land overrides any decision by an individual in a will.

If the killer is still alive, its a matter for the Guards, not Marys mother and her dying wish.

Then again, the Guards don't seem to want to know.

Exactly. That's why I think it is so weird. As someone said above, her doing
    that should raise suspicions, if there were none there already - which there
    most definitely are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just watched the doc. Unbelieveable that everyone in the area seems to know who the killer is yet nothing is done. I was going to say it's shocking but unfortunately it isn't.

If the person implied is the killer, given that he has had and still has access to the farm, he has had 40 years to move or completely destroy the body. I really don't think they will find her at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

It is absurd that this case is just left like it is. It is unthinkable. Have we not learned anything in this country? Why isn't there a short sharp meeting between the Commissioner and local management and action taken. Why is it acceptable in Ireland that people are allowed to sit on their hands? I have never heard of anything so ridiculous that some people may be investigated and others not. If anyone interfered in such a way in a Garda investigation arrest them. Right now. Charge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is the FF politician who intervened all those years ago...still a sitting TD today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

fryup wrote: »
    is the FF politician who intervened all those years ago...still a sitting TD today?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

There has to be someone close to this case who took part in the documentary who is prepared to make a stand for a helpless 6 year old child:

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/complaints/complainhow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Dolbert wrote: »
    I wonder how he's managed to cope with what he's done.

Not to mention the rest of them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Ted111 wrote: »
    Where are you getting this Conspiracy thing from?

Nobody is suggesting lizard people killed Mary before faking a moon landing.

ah now you finally get it. The 'conspiracy theorist' jibe is now being consitantly used to shut anyone up with an alternative opinion on just about anything.

It is a particualry rancid form of censorship and thought crime much beloved by people who work for governments to avoid being held accountable for anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

It has got to the point now when the person goes 'lol conspiracy theory!' that I then give my sympathy to the point they are trying to mock.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,013 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Incredible amount of questions to be answered there. One thing missing though, funnily enough, is a photo of a hand wringing, pasty faced with anguish Michael Martin on the plinth of the Dail with the victim's twin and Margo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Just watched that doc on YouTube (thanks for the link)

I'm speechless really. Shocking.

Those two garda , the pain in their faces too
    And the obvious guilt on the chap who's passed..

The corruption in the country...

• Advertisement

rural ireland can be a very strange place....friendly on the surface...but there's an underbelly of clanish'ism and deviousness that can be particularly nasty

Incredible amount of questions to be answered there. One thing missing though, funnily enough, is a photo of a hand wringing, pasty faced with anguish Michael Martin on the plinth of the Dail with the victim's twin and Margo.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

davycc wrote: »

I've started watching that out of interest, but three and a half minutes of dramatically cut footage to make it sound like a crime drama later, and I'm already suspicious of any results that they shape the narrative to.

I dunno, maybe it will be really convincing evidence, but so far it sounds very sensationalised.

Samaris wrote: »
    I've started watching that out of interest, but three and a half minutes of dramatically cut footage to make it sound like a crime drama later, and I'm already suspicious of any results that they shape the narrative to.

I dunno, maybe it will be really convincing evidence, but so far it sounds very sensationalised.

I don't think it pretends to offer 'results'. What it most certainly does present is the need for questions to be answered about the whole case, not just for the Boyle family but for anybody interested in justice and the pursuit of it.
    If the answers to those questions are what I would expect them to be then that is pretty sensational imo.

is there any TV station out there brave enough to broadcast this documentary??

I read it was offered to Rte, Tv3 but none of them wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I don't think it pretends to offer 'results'. What it most certainly does present is the need for questions to be answered about the whole case, not just for the Boyle family but for anybody interested in justice and the pursuit of it.
    If the answers to those questions are what I would expect them to be then that is pretty sensational imo.

I'm not slagging it for the sake of it, just watching it I was really turned off and made suspicious by the dramatic footage, sorta luring the viewer in with a ..well, a crime drama, rather than a documentary about a case that had a real little girl at the centre of it.

Things like "I know who did it, it was-" /cut

That sort of thing. I may give it another shot, but so far, just really not impressed by O'Doherty's documentary-making and it -does- make me suspicious as to conclusions the documentary might pull.

Doesn't mean I'm right, mind. Just a gut thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I am Marys cousin

I have been chatting about this case over on the CT thread for a while now i didnt post it on this part of the forum due to the types of people circling about in the first page, I can take criticism of the campaign and the documentary , i have some myself and i will debate till the cows come home so to speak but to get a cheap laugh from Marys name is hard to read but anyway ill be over on this thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100269032#post100269032

if anyone wants to read debate ask questions of me ill happily answer what i can , id Just like to add the politican is not a TD and never has been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I'm not slagging it for the sake of it, just watching it I was really turned off and made suspicious by the dramatic footage, sorta luring the viewer in with a ..well, a crime drama, rather than a documentary about a case that had a real little girl at the centre of it.

That sort of thing. I may give it another shot, but so far, just really not impressed by O'Doherty's documentary-making and it -does- make me suspicious as to conclusions the documentary might pull.

that never happened once in the documentary but i do know & understand what you are getting at, the problem is we cant name names in this case as if it ever was to go trial then the defence could potentially use the naming of names to ask for a mistrial due to lack of due process

• Advertisement

That is one of the more shocking aspects of the whole story, that the two main investigators know who did it and have been restrained from following that up.
    The state can faff about some more here but very soon it might be too late to find out the truth.

Advertisement