Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Applied maths really slipped under the radar, didn't help that I had three exams this week so I had next to know time to concentrate on it. Probably gonna do 8 Qs, we covered everything but statics and fluid dynamics in class so i'll be able to attempt everything. Whoopee.

Had mind fizz the whole day, nothing I've done has stuck unfortunately. Just gonna see how it goes tomorrow, not gonna beat myself up over it, it's my worst subject anyway....which begs the question of why i do it as an 8th subject :P was doing it as a safety net subject but nothing has gone disastrously wrong, so i don't forsee myself needing it now (TOUCH WOOD)

Just hope the paper is easier than last year, i'd so love to get a B in it, just to say I did xD have to make all those before-school classes worthwhile ahahah! Best of luck everyone, just remember that after this we're FREE! :D

Not if you have italian like myself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I would love a wedge as long as there's no tensions involved! Always cock it up if there are tensions in the Q :P

I have no idea how to do a wedge question, what forces do you show etc, always confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hopefully a nice paper today ;)
    Need this to go well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Best of luck to all! I did my applied maths exam many years ago :) A great subject and hopefully you will be rewarded for all the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057449099
    that was a tough one

Edit:
    Could everyone use that thread linked above to discuss the 2015 paper? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fablisa

Hi Everyone,

Am a 5th year student teaching myself Applied Maths, i have Oliver Murphy's 2nd ed, was wondering if anyone has solutions to it please? would like to start straight away.

Many thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/224151-whistleblower-blows-whistle-gosafe-cash-camera-vans-allegedly-robbing-motorists.html

"
    The camera is supposed to be aimed at a precise 22 degree angle towards the targeted vehicle lane Radar is susceptible to a phenomenon known as the cosine effect which will increase the measured speed if the angle is less than the expected 22 degrees."

Im trying to work out the distances that you have to pass a speed van in order to be caught.
    Firstly , I know they take 2 difference values , but the interval is so small , lets forget it

My basic calculations say less than a 5 meter, This cant be right , can it?
    Im missing something

360676.png

disclosure, been too long since ive done maths , i know im doing soothing wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm not sure if I'm reading your diagram correctly but is the approaching car directly behind the speed van? That would lead to a certain crash :eek:

The van is parked on the side of the road. I would have pictured it like this:

b2abf0712ab1bc85acd9570c3481ee26.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PurpleElephant

Hi everyone, just wanted to share some helpful resources I've found.
    (Sorry, apparently I'm not allowed to post links because I'm a new user)

Brendan Williamson is making lectures and worksheets for applied maths, (he only has 4 topics done now but is aiming to get them all done eventually).
    Just search 'Brendan Williamson applied maths' on youtube or google to find his youtube channnel or website

khanacademy.org is also really useful for any maths that you're struggling with.

Good luck to everyone learning applied maths this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

hi
    I am going to do applied maths as my 8th subject, I plan on teaching myself. But I have a question which chapters belong to which topic. I mean we have 10 questions in the exam so which chapters belong to which question in Oliver Murphy's book? ( the book has 14 chapters)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

kittychan wrote:
    hi I am going to do applied maths as my 8th subject, I plan on teaching myself. But I have a question which chapters belong to which topic. I mean we have 10 questions in the exam so which chapters belong to which question in Oliver Murphy's book? ( the book has 14 chapters)

If you list the chapters I'll tell you, but vectors isn't a question but you need to know them

OMGeary wrote: »
    If you list the chapters I'll tell you, but vectors isn't a question but you need to know them

sure :)
    Chp. 1 - vectors
    Chp. 2- Uniform Acceleration
    Chp. 3- Projectiles on the horizontal plane
    Chp. 4- Relative Velocity
    Chp. 5- Newton's Law and Connected particles
    Chp. 6- Work, Power, energy and Momentum
    Chp. 7- Impacts and Collisions
    Chp. 8- statics
    Chp. 9- hydrostatics
    Chp. 10- Projectiles on the inclined plane
    Chp. 11- circular Motion
    Chp. 12- differential equations
    Chp. 13- Simple Harmonic motion
    Chp. 14- Moments of inertia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

I wouldn't recommend the use of Murphy's book as it contains too many easy questions.

Some topics, like Relative Velocity, aren't covered in that book to the standards required in the examination.

I'm a teacher BTW.

Alex Meier wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the use of Murphy's book as it contains too many easy questions.

Some topics, like Relative Velocity, aren't covered in that book to the standards required in the examination.

I'm a teacher BTW.

well I already bought the book, i guess i can practice exams?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to check the syllabus. Anything in it can be asked, even if it has never been asked before.

• Advertisement

kittychan wrote:
    sure Chp. 1 - vectors Chp. 2- Uniform Acceleration Chp. 3- Projectiles on the horizontal plane Chp. 4- Relative Velocity Chp. 5- Newton's Law and Connected particles Chp. 6- Work, Power, energy and Momentum Chp. 7- Impacts and Collisions Chp. 8- statics Chp. 9- hydrostatics Chp. 10- Projectiles on the inclined plane Chp. 11- circular Motion Chp. 12- differential equations Chp. 13- Simple Harmonic motion Chp. 14- Moments of inertia

Q1. Ch.2 uniform acc.
    Q2. Ch 4 relative velocity
    Q3. Ch3. And ch 10. Projectiles
    Q4. Ch 5. Newton and connected particles
    Q5. Ch7 impacts and collisions
    Q6. Ch 11 and ch 13 circular and simple harmonic motion
    Q7.ch 8 statics
    Q8.ch 14 inertia
    Q9. Ch9 hydrostatics
    Q 10. Ch 12 differential equations
    Ch 6 is linked with q 4 or 5 not sure which and vectors isn't a question but you need to know how they work.
    I would suggest start doing exam paper questions from the start so you get used them
    thephysicsteacher.ie is also very good for help

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UhmMaths?!

I'm stuck on a question guys:

Q2 page34

A car can move with acceleration 3a and deceleration 5a. Find in terms of k, the time taken to cover a distance of 90ak^2 (k is squared) from rest to rest.

i) subject to speed limit of 15ak
    ii) subject to no speed limit.

Help is much appreciated guys!

UhmMaths?! wrote:
    i) subject to speed limit of 15ak ii) subject to no speed limit.

Useful tip, draw a speed time graph for both scenarios and fill out what you know

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UhmMaths?!

Ya doing it in school only in 5th year and liking it so far...
    OMGeary wrote: »
    Useful tip, draw a speed time graph for both scenarios and fill out what you know

Ok now what did that but I still don't know what equation or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

UhmMaths?! wrote: »
    I'm stuck on a question guys:

Q2 page34

A car can move with acceleration 3a and deceleration 5a. Find in terms of k, the time taken to cover a distance of 90ak^2 (k is squared) from rest to rest.

i) subject to speed limit of 15ak
    ii) subject to no speed limit.

Help is much appreciated guys!

The 90ak^2 is the total area.

Draw a speed and time graph, and make sure to draw the lines properly. The line for deceleration should be much much steeper than the acceleration line.

Split the graph into seperate sections (rectangles and triangles), and then let the equation for total area of graph = the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rotawo

Hey I'm doing applied math on year, i heard you only have to do 6 questions out of 10, but reading post in this, i see some people are talking about attempting 7-8. Is that allowed and if so how does that work?, does your top 6 attempt get picked ???

Hey I'm doing applied math on year, i heard you only have to do 6 questions out of 10, but reading post in this, i see some people are talking about attempting 7-8. Is that allowed and if so how does that, does your top 6 attempt get picked ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Yep, only your six best are counted but you can 'attempt' as many as possible. I think most people cover 7 or 8 questions prior to the exam in case one of their 6 preferred ones proves to be very tricky or dissimilar to questions they have practiced.

Obviously time during the exam becomes an issue the more questions you do so even though people will have prepared 7 questions they may still just do 6 on the day.

Is anyone selling an applied math book? Preferably fundamental of applied mathematics by Oliver murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Doing question one on exam papers and stuck on 2007 1(b)
    01EbETv.png

Got down as far as:

q8Hmwb8.png

No idea where to get a value for b. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Liordi wrote: »
    Doing question one on exam papers and stuck on 2007 1(b)
    01EbETv.png

Got down as far as:

q8Hmwb8.png

No idea where to get a value for b. :/

That question is a worked example in the textbook.

Oh, wow. Thanks.
    I've not got my book with me but I'll have a look on Monday. :)

Oh, wow. Thanks.
    I've not got my book with me but I'll have a look on Monday. :)

Do you have a final answer that you're supposed to get? I got b = 1 but it was just a mental calculation. I'll do it properly if it's right or if you insist.

You have two expressions for avg speed. Equate them and just solve for b. It simplifies nicely :)

I looked on examinations.ie and b was = 1.
    Just had no clue why.

I figure there's someway of finding out 2qd = v?

I looked on examinations.ie and b was = 1.
    Just had no clue why.

I figure there's someway of finding out 2qd = v?

2qd/v is z.

http://i.imgur.com/jzLgbHh.jpg

The left hand side is multiplied and divided by v so you can cancel out the v. Try and solve it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mkmkmk4

Is it possible to do the whole course in 6 months? Probably a very stupid question but I might aswell ask

mkmkmk4 wrote: »
    Is it possible to do the whole course in 6 months? Probably a very stupid question but I might aswell ask
    can you math? , No can you really math? and do you do physics?

Anyone have a chapter they really hate?

Relative Velocity is a pain, I can do it if everything is layer out but when reading the questions, I struggle to know what I need to do. (especially the river questions!)

Anyone have a chapter they really hate?

Relative Velocity is a pain, I can do it if everything is layer out but when reading the questions, I struggle to know what I need to do. (especially the river questions!)
    If i remember correctly that was always one of the easiest questions. I know some are hard, but its one to get high marks in

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mkmkmk4

bpb101 wrote: »
    can you math? , No can you really math? and do you do physics?

Yeah , I usually get B1-A1 in Maths and Bs in Physics

Yeah , I usually get B1-A1 in Maths and Bs in Physics
    i presume both hl?

yeah then it can be done.
    Its about a 3 classes a week course for 2 years. imo
    But you can do it tactically and do the questions that always come up.

Just keep doing questions.
    There are a few people here who have done it the 6 months and have done well.They would be in the best place to help you.

Sent you a pm also.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

I'd say so if you're good at maths.. But I'd recommend not doing all the questions. I did 7 questions in 4-5 months and I think that was enough. I had to study every day though, it wasn't easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dr C.V

would anyone have any copies of past mock DEB papers? Finished all the exam qs and I have no idea what to do now.

Dr C.V wrote: »
    would anyone have any copies of past mock DEB papers? Finished all the exam qs and I have no idea what to do now.
    Have you went back to the 70s yet

I dont think anybody has done all of these
    http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/exammaterialappliedmaths.html

Marking schems going back to 93 and some topic 1970

• Advertisement

anarchonel wrote: »
    Our school gives us two classes a week and then an hour and a half after school. The real shame is that we're collectively forced to do non exam religion for 4 classes a week, more than we get for applied maths which we chose and is worth 100 points.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭ng1

I would also really appreciate a copy of the solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ErikaMck

Thinking of sitting Applied Math in 2017, not sure what to do? Is it too late to try pick it up now? I'm doing higher level maths and have always been top of my maths class that being said I only got a B in my Christmas exam. My school don't offer physics either. My main reason for wanting to pick it up is my downfall in languages. I'm doing higher level french and irish and know i will not get an A or B in either. If I take up Applied Math I'll be doing 7 subjects so irish and french won't count for points. Any help is welcomed.

ng1 wrote: »
    I would also really appreciate a copy of the solutions.
    pm sent
    Thinking of sitting Applied Math in 2017, not sure what to do? Is it too late to try pick it up now? I'm doing higher level maths and have always been top of my maths class that being said I only got a B in my Christmas exam. My school don't offer physics either. My main reason for wanting to pick it up is my downfall in languages. I'm doing higher level french and irish and know i will not get an A or B in either. If I take up Applied Math I'll be doing 7 subjects so irish and french won't count for points. Any help is welcomed

Will be very hard without a physics references

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ErikaMck

ErikaMck wrote: »
    Thinking of sitting Applied Math in 2017, not sure what to do? Is it too late to try pick it up now? I'm doing higher level maths and have always been top of my maths class that being said I only got a B in my Christmas exam. My school don't offer physics either. My main reason for wanting to pick it up is my downfall in languages. I'm doing higher level french and irish and know i will not get an A or B in either. If I take up Applied Math I'll be doing 7 subjects so irish and french won't count for points. Any help is welcomed.

*8 subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

Hey I was thinking of doing circular and simple harmonic motion as an extra question(q6). What are people's thoughts on this question? Is it considered a trustable question which won't mess you up in the exam (unlike linear motion and relative velocity in which some years are impossible to get a high mark in)?ie does the difficulty change marginally from year to year.

And is it a solid investment of time on this rather than improving on the usual 6q ?

Any help will be much appreciated

• Advertisement

Could anyone explain how the marking scheme got the answer? Kinda unclear what's happening... It's a Statics question.

Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Could anyone explain how the marking scheme got the answer? Kinda unclear what's happening... It's a Statics question.

Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out. :o
    Do you add 2 and 2, multiply 2 by 2 or square 2 to get the 4th root?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭adam240610

What questions are you guys covering for the course? Doing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, whatever circular motion question number and 10. 9 by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ella1998

adam240610 wrote: »
    What questions are you guys covering for the course? Doing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, whatever circular motion question number and 10. 9 by myself

Im doing the exact same (1-5,circular motion and 10, apparently they're the most popular)and also covering Q9 by myself, are you learning q9 from the book, i cant find much help for it online?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭adam240610

ella1998 wrote: »
    Im doing the exact same (1-5,circular motion and 10, apparently they're the most popular)and also covering Q9 by myself, are you learning q9 from the book, i cant find much help for it online?!

I learned it from the book, but that isn't enough to answer all the questions in the book funnily enough... I finished it off with this guys videos, he's extremely good for app math, lookup keystomaths1 on YouTube, he has 159 app math videos

• Advertisement
Advertisement