Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

kittychan wrote:
    hi I am going to do applied maths as my 8th subject, I plan on teaching myself. But I have a question which chapters belong to which topic. I mean we have 10 questions in the exam so which chapters belong to which question in Oliver Murphy's book? ( the book has 14 chapters)

If you list the chapters I'll tell you, but vectors isn't a question but you need to know them

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

OMGeary wrote: »
    If you list the chapters I'll tell you, but vectors isn't a question but you need to know them

sure :)
    Chp. 1 - vectors
    Chp. 2- Uniform Acceleration
    Chp. 3- Projectiles on the horizontal plane
    Chp. 4- Relative Velocity
    Chp. 5- Newton's Law and Connected particles
    Chp. 6- Work, Power, energy and Momentum
    Chp. 7- Impacts and Collisions
    Chp. 8- statics
    Chp. 9- hydrostatics
    Chp. 10- Projectiles on the inclined plane
    Chp. 11- circular Motion
    Chp. 12- differential equations
    Chp. 13- Simple Harmonic motion
    Chp. 14- Moments of inertia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

I wouldn't recommend the use of Murphy's book as it contains too many easy questions.

Some topics, like Relative Velocity, aren't covered in that book to the standards required in the examination.

I'm a teacher BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

Alex Meier wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the use of Murphy's book as it contains too many easy questions.

Some topics, like Relative Velocity, aren't covered in that book to the standards required in the examination.

I'm a teacher BTW.

well I already bought the book, i guess i can practice exams?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to check the syllabus. Anything in it can be asked, even if it has never been asked before.

• Advertisement

kittychan wrote:
    sure Chp. 1 - vectors Chp. 2- Uniform Acceleration Chp. 3- Projectiles on the horizontal plane Chp. 4- Relative Velocity Chp. 5- Newton's Law and Connected particles Chp. 6- Work, Power, energy and Momentum Chp. 7- Impacts and Collisions Chp. 8- statics Chp. 9- hydrostatics Chp. 10- Projectiles on the inclined plane Chp. 11- circular Motion Chp. 12- differential equations Chp. 13- Simple Harmonic motion Chp. 14- Moments of inertia

Q1. Ch.2 uniform acc.
    Q2. Ch 4 relative velocity
    Q3. Ch3. And ch 10. Projectiles
    Q4. Ch 5. Newton and connected particles
    Q5. Ch7 impacts and collisions
    Q6. Ch 11 and ch 13 circular and simple harmonic motion
    Q7.ch 8 statics
    Q8.ch 14 inertia
    Q9. Ch9 hydrostatics
    Q 10. Ch 12 differential equations
    Ch 6 is linked with q 4 or 5 not sure which and vectors isn't a question but you need to know how they work.
    I would suggest start doing exam paper questions from the start so you get used them
    thephysicsteacher.ie is also very good for help

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UhmMaths?!

I'm stuck on a question guys:

Q2 page34

A car can move with acceleration 3a and deceleration 5a. Find in terms of k, the time taken to cover a distance of 90ak^2 (k is squared) from rest to rest.

i) subject to speed limit of 15ak
    ii) subject to no speed limit.

Help is much appreciated guys!

UhmMaths?! wrote:
    i) subject to speed limit of 15ak ii) subject to no speed limit.

Useful tip, draw a speed time graph for both scenarios and fill out what you know

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UhmMaths?!

Ya doing it in school only in 5th year and liking it so far...
    OMGeary wrote: »
    Useful tip, draw a speed time graph for both scenarios and fill out what you know

Ok now what did that but I still don't know what equation or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

UhmMaths?! wrote: »
    I'm stuck on a question guys:

Q2 page34

A car can move with acceleration 3a and deceleration 5a. Find in terms of k, the time taken to cover a distance of 90ak^2 (k is squared) from rest to rest.

i) subject to speed limit of 15ak
    ii) subject to no speed limit.

Help is much appreciated guys!

The 90ak^2 is the total area.

Draw a speed and time graph, and make sure to draw the lines properly. The line for deceleration should be much much steeper than the acceleration line.

Split the graph into seperate sections (rectangles and triangles), and then let the equation for total area of graph = the distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rotawo

Hey I'm doing applied math on year, i heard you only have to do 6 questions out of 10, but reading post in this, i see some people are talking about attempting 7-8. Is that allowed and if so how does that work?, does your top 6 attempt get picked ???

Hey I'm doing applied math on year, i heard you only have to do 6 questions out of 10, but reading post in this, i see some people are talking about attempting 7-8. Is that allowed and if so how does that, does your top 6 attempt get picked ???

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Yep, only your six best are counted but you can 'attempt' as many as possible. I think most people cover 7 or 8 questions prior to the exam in case one of their 6 preferred ones proves to be very tricky or dissimilar to questions they have practiced.

Obviously time during the exam becomes an issue the more questions you do so even though people will have prepared 7 questions they may still just do 6 on the day.

Is anyone selling an applied math book? Preferably fundamental of applied mathematics by Oliver murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Doing question one on exam papers and stuck on 2007 1(b)
    01EbETv.png

Got down as far as:

q8Hmwb8.png

No idea where to get a value for b. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Liordi wrote: »
    Doing question one on exam papers and stuck on 2007 1(b)
    01EbETv.png

Got down as far as:

q8Hmwb8.png

No idea where to get a value for b. :/

That question is a worked example in the textbook.

Oh, wow. Thanks.
    I've not got my book with me but I'll have a look on Monday. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oh, wow. Thanks.
    I've not got my book with me but I'll have a look on Monday. :)

Do you have a final answer that you're supposed to get? I got b = 1 but it was just a mental calculation. I'll do it properly if it's right or if you insist.

You have two expressions for avg speed. Equate them and just solve for b. It simplifies nicely :)

I looked on examinations.ie and b was = 1.
    Just had no clue why.

I figure there's someway of finding out 2qd = v?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I looked on examinations.ie and b was = 1.
    Just had no clue why.

I figure there's someway of finding out 2qd = v?

2qd/v is z.

http://i.imgur.com/jzLgbHh.jpg

The left hand side is multiplied and divided by v so you can cancel out the v. Try and solve it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mkmkmk4

Is it possible to do the whole course in 6 months? Probably a very stupid question but I might aswell ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

mkmkmk4 wrote: »
    Is it possible to do the whole course in 6 months? Probably a very stupid question but I might aswell ask
    can you math? , No can you really math? and do you do physics?

Anyone have a chapter they really hate?

Relative Velocity is a pain, I can do it if everything is layer out but when reading the questions, I struggle to know what I need to do. (especially the river questions!)

Anyone have a chapter they really hate?

Relative Velocity is a pain, I can do it if everything is layer out but when reading the questions, I struggle to know what I need to do. (especially the river questions!)
    If i remember correctly that was always one of the easiest questions. I know some are hard, but its one to get high marks in

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mkmkmk4

bpb101 wrote: »
    can you math? , No can you really math? and do you do physics?

Yeah , I usually get B1-A1 in Maths and Bs in Physics

Yeah , I usually get B1-A1 in Maths and Bs in Physics
    i presume both hl?

yeah then it can be done.
    Its about a 3 classes a week course for 2 years. imo
    But you can do it tactically and do the questions that always come up.

Just keep doing questions.
    There are a few people here who have done it the 6 months and have done well.They would be in the best place to help you.

Sent you a pm also.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

I'd say so if you're good at maths.. But I'd recommend not doing all the questions. I did 7 questions in 4-5 months and I think that was enough. I had to study every day though, it wasn't easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dr C.V

would anyone have any copies of past mock DEB papers? Finished all the exam qs and I have no idea what to do now.

Dr C.V wrote: »
    would anyone have any copies of past mock DEB papers? Finished all the exam qs and I have no idea what to do now.
    Have you went back to the 70s yet

I dont think anybody has done all of these
    http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/exammaterialappliedmaths.html

Marking schems going back to 93 and some topic 1970

• Advertisement

anarchonel wrote: »
    Our school gives us two classes a week and then an hour and a half after school. The real shame is that we're collectively forced to do non exam religion for 4 classes a week, more than we get for applied maths which we chose and is worth 100 points.

+1

Advertisement