Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The worst of the current weather in the West was around 1-3pm.

The highest gusts (km/h) and times were

Mace Head = 96 (1pm)
    Belmullet = 117 (2pm)
    Newport = 107 (2pm)

It has slackened off since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Met just said that gusts of 120kph was recorded this afternoon in the west, forecast to be as strong tomorrow

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Doesn't feel like it's gone beyond yellow warning conditions in castlebar, Achill seemed a good bit worse but not as bad as Brendan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Doesn't feel like it's gone beyond yellow warning conditions in castlebar, Achill seemed a good bit worse but not as bad as Brendan.

Just bear in mind that Storm Ciara is tomorrow (morning especially).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very very windy now in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Erm ... Ciara hasnt hit yet. Not until tomorrow early morn AM.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that Storm Ciara is tomorrow (morning especially).

Yeah things are looking worse tomorrow for sure. Not trying to down play anything here :)

aidanodr wrote: »
    Erm ... Ciara hasnt hit yet. Not until tomorrow early morn AM.

There was still an orange warning here this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

I drove from Galway to Castlebar at lunchtime and its definitely worse now! Just drove into town and back from approx 7km Newport side of town and it feels alot more windy and driving sheets of rain, lots of spot flooding. Water is coming up through the manhole covers between St Geralds and Newtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

easypazz wrote: »
    You do know that according to her every storm is the worst of all time, but for the rest of us in exposed areas its just a routine wet and windy winters day.

Lol. Yeah. She lives on Clare island, just across the water from me. She's somewhat dramatic when it comes to the usual winter storms we get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Blizzards and driving snow mentioned by Joanna on the 6.1 weather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Blizzards and driving snow mentioned by Joanna on the 6.1 weather

High ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

High ground?

She actually didn’t mention it just being high ground, at least I didn’t hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hopefully the strong voting earlier was to avoid the weather because at least in cork city it's a miserable night. It's a night for a high stool and an open fire and a pint and the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's a night for a high stool and an open fire and a pint and the paper.

Thats EVERY night if ya can get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

ireland really does seem to be the **** weather capital of the world this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met Éireann warning is yellow now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Wonder would I get a decent wave around Cork tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

I will if i see ya !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pangea wrote: »
    Met Éireann warning is yellow now ?

It's updating the site. Ignore the yellow warning.

From Met Eireann

The Status Orange wind warning for tomorrow morning is still valid. It will return to our website shortly, we have had technical difficulties relating to the expired Status Orange warning for selected western counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

For anyone in south Donegal and Sligo Leitrim areas.

Ballisodare to ballina road is badly flooded .
    Collooney to N17 is badly flooded
    Manorhamilton to Sligo road – near Glencar viewing point is badly flooded.
    Ballymote to Castlebaldwin flooding in places
    .Flooding on the Kinlough – Ballyshannon road .
    Flooding Rossinver – Kinlough road in places.
    Flooding on the Belcoo – Garrison road
    Flooding at Ballymote – gurteen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Main news on Midwest radio storm downgraded to yellow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A lot more rain to come there mobil 222

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1226205972508659715?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Virgin news now says it’s a low yellow warning ⚠️ what ever that means .. that’s a big drop from a national orange warning . No wonder some people don’t take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Farce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Met Éireann has had this warning issue with their website for a while. Not sure why they haven’t resolved it but they would be better off taking down their website than having incorrect information up.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    So is it a yellow or orange warning for tomorrow?

As per about 5 posts back, it is Orange for tomorrow. MET are having technical difficulties which has created some confusion it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A red warning is not likely there is a low risk of one been issued but i wouldn't say likely.

OK; I was referring to the red marine warning there was earlier today. Being an islander it was in evidence out here. As it would have been on extreme headlands also. Deeply grateful for the marine warnings for that reason. Yesterday was no exception. If you look at the met.ie map you will see the delineation for coastal waters.

This gets very upsetting as repeatedly I am called out on this; I came offline for that reason. There is never any exaggeration in what I post. Just how it is.
    I was very glad to see that red marine warning as things were bad out here and that explained it.

Please don't reply to this: I do not think I will post any more with the other comments that get posted. Care about you all and hope you stay safe. But I cannot cope with some of it.

Thanks to the mods who have tried to stem the flow! I am far too old and unwell to cope here. I love my life out here and the beauty of the storms; wanted to share them is all.. Island life is like no other Never thought there would be the reaction there has been and is . I said after Brendan that if this started again that was it.

Blessings and peace and stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

froog wrote: »
    ireland really does seem to be the **** weather capital of the world this year.

I’d say the Australians would take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The Galway 2020 thing should've went ahead. I'm in Galway now and it's grand

Advertisement