Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane-force Atlantic Storm - Thursday 24th Nov 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This was 1600 hrs as darkness fell.If the track was originally more southerly toward bay of Biscay and bombed like it did then we were in be trouble.

182533.JPG

1938hrs

182535.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

philstar wrote: »
    hurricane forecast for north scotland tonight, does this mean ireland will get a kicking to??

There is no hurricane, it is a hurricane-force winter storm, and is what brought the strong winds to Ireland today. It is moving off towards northern Norway so will not be an issue for us anymore.

Some impressive winds were reported by land stations in this storm, which is currently located off the coast of northwestern Norway. Remember, these are on land - winds at sea could have been higher!

Akraberg (Faroe Islands, 99 m) 75 gust 105 knots
    Klaksvik Heliport (Faroe Islands, 84 m) 61 gust 93 knots
    Torshavn (Faroe Islands, 54 m) 58 gust 89 knots
    Krakenes Lighthouse (Norway, 41 m) 58 gust 78 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Knew i shouldve went to the faroe islands for the day!! ha

Heidrun Oilfield, in the Norwegian Sea, has been reporting 68 knot winds, with gusts of up to 81 knots today.

http://www.ogimet.com/display_metars.php?lang=en&tipo=ALL&ord=REV&nil=SI&fmt=html&lugar=ENHE&anof=2011&mesf=11&dayf=25&horaf=16&minf=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Issued at 25 November 2011 - 19:30

Weather Alert Update

Becoming very windy everywhere later on Saturday and Saturday night with strong to gale force south-to-southwest winds, and gusts of 80 to 110 km/h, especially in coastal counties of the south, west and north, with a risk of up to 120 km/h in exposed parts of the northwest later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Issued at 25 November 2011 - 19:30

Weather Alert Update

Becoming very windy everywhere later on Saturday and Saturday night with strong to gale force south-to-southwest winds, and gusts of 80 to 110 km/h, especially in coastal counties of the south, west and north, with a risk of up to 120 km/h in exposed parts of the northwest later.

Define "later". Match on in the sportsgrounds tomorrow at 6:30pm , could make it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Probably a bit late to be posting but I was on the ferry from holyhead last night and it put me off ferries for life. The storm had.the boat all over the place an people getting sick everywhere. 3 metre waves apparently but felt like 30! I wish is read this thread beforehand. Longest three hours if my life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Been extremely windy here in the west overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some of the higher res models seem to be picking up on the potential for a polar low like (I say 'polar low like' as I am no expert on these elusive little feckers! :D) feature to develop off the west coast of Norway somewhere between 65-70 deg N sometime tomorrow.

Forecast MSLP & Prep chart for 1800 UTC tomorrow:
    182657.jpg
    Image Source: YR.NO

Models have this system developing within the remnants of a slack trough (or vacuum!) that is forecast to be left behind by the storm system that is currently affecting much of the northern half of Norway at the moment.

EMHI HIRLAM MSLP & Windspeed forecast chart for 1800 UTC tomorrow:
    182658.png

Some pretty potent winds tightly packed close to the actual core of the low.

Though I don't have the knowledge or confidence to call this a full on Polar Low the feature does look like it could be entirely convective based due to the fact that sub -8.0c 850 hPa temps are moving in over much warmer SST's, I.E, instability.

Could be an interesting one to watch (maybe)

• Advertisement

Some of the higher res models seem to be picking up on the potential for a polar low like (I say 'polar low like' as I am no expert on these elusive little feckers! :D) feature to develop off the west coast of Norway somewhere between 65-70 deg N sometime tomorrow.
    Image Source: YR.NO

Models have this system developing within the remnants of a slack trough (or vacuum!) that is forecast to be left behind by the storm system that is currently affecting much of the northern half of Norway at the moment.

Some pretty potent winds tightly packed close to the actual core of the low.

Though I don't have the knowledge or confidence to call this a full on Polar Low the feature does look like it could be entirely convective based due to the fact that sub -8.0c 850 hPa temps are moving in over much warmer SST's, I.E, instability.

Could be an interesting one to watch (maybe)

Yes, I was looking at that yesterday and 850 hPa theta-w values show a non-frontal warm core system, with gale to storm force winds circulating around the tight centre. The 500 hPa temperatures are not quite the sub -40 °C usually required, but the as you say, the warm SSTs offset that somewhat, so we could be looking at the first polar low of the season.

182682.gif

Incidentally, here's a photo of Kråkenes Lighthouse on the Norwegian coast during yesterday's storm. Winds reached 58, gust 78 knots.

g8uM7ZFpzjAh3dcxd3BgnQulia09QQheUaJaydPONePw.jpg

...and here it is on a slightly more normal day! PS. The lighthouse is now a B&B, so imagine waking up to that yesterday!

vis_bilde.php?tbl=forside&id=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wow ! Now there's a B&B I would love to stay in ! Wonder do they use Dulux Weathershield :)

Advertisement