Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does county of car registration matter to you?

Options

Comments

I have had 9 cars.

Four were D and one each of RN, KE, LD, MO and WH.

Can state, factually, having carried out all the relevant tests, that D plates get better mileage, as the car doesn't have to carry the weight of the extra letter around. MO are heavier numbers, so my car needed suspension components changed more often, and LD gave me extra time at traffic lights, and more space on the road, as people assumed I was a traveller.

.anon. wrote: »
    Dublin.

And Dublin smells like heroin.

Mind.... Blown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to admit as a Dub I'd only buy a D reg.

In fairnes though a lot of people in commuter counties like Kildare, Wicklow, Louth will often also prefer D reg because usually lower mileage on cars.

Also usually a better selection of 2nd hand cars with D regs as obviously more cars sold in Dublin due to population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

spurious wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a Donegal reg car, or one owned by someone up there. Seems like they all have big mileage and the roads are in bits.

Mileage, maybe. But the roads here aren't much different to the rest of the country, despite what a number of posters are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭micks_address

Live in Dublin so have D reg. Wouldn't have bothered me but there is a Dublin versus country divide in it. Especially with more expensive car's..I've had friends down the country use my address to get a D reg as they were advised to do so by dealership. E class Merc etc..

I also had a bit of guff from a dealer years ago when I went to trade my Sligo reg car...oh that reg wouldn't be worth as much in Dublin...traded down the country. Sure enough got about 500 euro more for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I refuse to buy a D reg because I'm a stubborn bogger

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

First 2 cars were RN and last 2 were G

Wouldn't really bother me what the reg is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Donegal all the way, Fxxk the b egrudgers.

appledrop wrote: »
    I have to admit as a Dub I'd only buy a D reg.

In fairnes though a lot of people in commuter counties like Kildare, Wicklow, Louth will often also prefer D reg because usually lower mileage on cars.

Also usually a better selection of 2nd hand cars with D regs as obviously more cars sold in Dublin due to population.

A lot are very poor spec though, Dubs Chase the plate rather than buying something nice so tin wheels, cloth seats and a flat colour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The county on the plate doesn't bother me personally in the slightest, but it is certainly prudent to stick with Dublin registrations for premium cars. You or I may not care what the registration is, but society to an extent does care and ignore it at your peril.

Good luck trying to sell an S-Class or Flying Spur with a DL or KY registration, someone will quite literally buy a D-reg all over the alternatives and likely pay a premium for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

When you see a WW reg, you know they'll probably indicate right and turn left or breeze through red lights and oncoming traffic. If you see a TS or T, they'll drive at 70km/h while the limit is 100, and maintain that speed through any towns, villages or children crossing the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

McGaggs wrote: »
    If you see a TS or T, they'll drive at 70km/h while the limit is 100, and maintain that speed through any towns, villages or children crossing the road.

So a person from Tipperary North will drive normally but if they upgrade to a car from 2014 on wards they will drive like someone from Tipp south?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh I remember another good reason to not have a D reg. On the rare occasion I am forced to go to Dubland, driving to the legal rules of the road tends to set off Dublin drivers. It's gas craic watching them get all red faced and angry behind you because you refuse to break the speed limit, or have the audacity to not run a yellow/red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I have had 9 cars.

Four were D and one each of RN, KE, LD, MO and WH.

Your next car should be a Dublin reg, that will be five in a row, which can only be lucky....

The county on the plate doesn't bother me personally in the slightest, but it is certainly prudent to stick with Dublin registrations for premium cars. You or I may not care what the registration is, but society to an extent does care and ignore it at your peril.

Good luck trying to sell an S-Class or Flying Spur with a DL or KY registration, someone will quite literally buy a D-reg all over the alternatives and likely pay a premium for it too.

We'd only use sh1t like that for diffing if there's no Altezzas to be had,

So a person from Tipperary North will drive normally but if they upgrade to a car from 2014 on wards they will drive like someone from Tipp south?

A TN has never been spotted in the wild outside Tipperary, and no-one from outside has ever visited and returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Someone from Dublin will pay the premium for the D reg, plenty of other people around the country won't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Someone from Dublin will pay the premium for the D reg, plenty of other people around the country won't care.

Is it only people from Dublin that do this?
    is it the same in Cork or Limerick?

The T reg needs to piss off. Should have been TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

But only Dubs are buying premium cars.

No one cares if their Avensis has a KY reg.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    But only Dubs are buying premium cars.

No one cares if their Avensis has a KY reg.

You mustn’t have been outside Dublin recently. Avensis doesn’t exist anymore, it’s all Camrys now.

Anything premium around my area is usually imported. So no D regs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I wouldn’t buy a Clare reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

wouldn't touch a D reg, hate to be mistaken for a howiya when i go travelling around Ireland. potential for animosity from the locals esp during Covid.

Besides that i wouldnt care too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

gourcuff wrote: »
    wouldn't touch a D reg, hate to be mistaken for a howiya when i go travelling around Ireland. potential for animosity from the locals esp during Covid.

Besides that i wouldnt care too much..

I've found that my country brethren yield right of way to my D reg vehicle.

Kind of like the way they used to doff the cap to the English Lords back in the 1800s.

Who cares about the letters, it's the numbers that count!
    High numbered vehicles (over 6000 in Roscommon for example) are UK imports, usually have a far higher spec that Irish registered cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

In the north number plates are a lot more ambiguous and most people can’t tell which code is for which county, cars on UK plates though give the year of manufacture which annoys some people as it advertises the age of the car. I bought a flashy motor few years ago (English reg) and although not stopped was briefly followed by the guards in Swords one evening.

High numbered vehicles (over 6000 in Roscommon for example) are UK imports, usually have a far higher spec that Irish registered cars.

They seem to have stopped that. I imported a car 2 years ago and got a 3 digit number.

That changed around 2012. Now they just get the next available number in the sequence. Having said that I’d say every second car in Roscommon is an import

They seem to have stopped that. I imported a car 2 years ago and got a 3 digit number.

Was cheaper to buy new and import around 09-10, lots of low reg Avensis and Corollas are imports

• Advertisement

I hadn't really noticed newer cars with large numbers, just the fact that there are so many D plates with phone number sized suffixes on them.

All those 10-D-12xxxxxplates must have really pissed off the dealers that they got the government to change them.

Advertisement