Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does county of car registration matter to you?

Options
  • 11-08-2020 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

I never knew this was a thing but it seems to be mentioned a lot in the Covid threads......Kerry/Galway/Waterford are fully of Dubz on their staycation, car park full of D reg cars etc.

I've never had a car registration plate that matched my home county or the county I live in. Never buy new usually 1-2 old and the reg number doesn't feature as a consideration when buying.

The only person I know who consistency has a reg number from the same county is by father who buys a new car every 3 years, same dealer, same model, etc but he's old school.

Is this really a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I never knew this was a thing but it seems to be mentioned a lot in the Covid threads......Kerry/Galway/Waterford are fully of Dubz on their staycation, car park full of D reg cars etc.

I've never had a car registration plate that matched my home county or the county I live in. Never buy new usually 1-2 old and the reg number doesn't feature as a consideration when buying.

The only person I know who consistency has a reg number from the same county is by father who buys a new car every 3 years, same dealer, same model, etc but he's old school.

Is this really a thing?

Yeah , I'd hate have a Fingal Reg. car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Couldn't give a shiny shyte what the reg is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always get a D reg. Wouldn't feel “comfortable” in anything else.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Don't think the resale value is as good on anything with DL on the plates. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d never buy a D reg, even though I live in Dublin. Don’t want to be mistaken for a jackeen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Usually doesn't bother me . I'd rather not get a D plate though. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

My Yaris is a 201 KE and my Honda bike a 202 KE....Essentially I have banned myself from crossing the boarder as I'd currently be chased out. Reckon the car would be set on fire if I parked it at Liffey Valley!

My penchant for new vehicles has backfired on me with this regional lockdown....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Wouldn’t buy a car unless it was a Dublin reg.

More an ocd thing than anything. I live in Dublin so it feels right to have a Dublin reg car.

The other reason is the “typical (insert county) driver, get off the road, go back to ...”

Easier to have a D reg.

That said if I lived in cork I’d probably want a cork reg for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SO reg = good chance of rusty undercarriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

If you offered me a 20% discount on a Donegal reg car id struggle to take it. I have family from there and i wouldnt touch a car from up there. Bad roads and everyone from 17 to 107 seems to drive the hoop off every bucket on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

A car with a d reg would be seen as a neutral reg by the trade and one which could be retailed in any county within the republic.

Plus by selecting a non d reg on a high end vehicle you are limiting your potential buyer. Eg. Try shifting a range rover on a ky reg. Know of examples in the trade where the" wrong reg" resulted in less of a trade in being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

Anything except CN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've had a car with KE and currently one with G.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I've driven TS, L and G but never a CE, where I'm actually from! Not deliberate, just the way things planned out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Had a few G regs, a CE and now a D reg. Couldn't give a damn what county is on the number plate so long as the car is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Lot of D cars around the country are owned by the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

A 'D' reg is looked on as a company car outside of Dubland.

As an aside I'd personally prefer if the green plate method of
    xxxx-D-202 was used because at least if you were knocked down or similar you would have the first few letters of the offender but as things stand you only get the year and county - we all read left to right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

65535 wrote: »
    A 'D' reg is looked on as a company car outside of Dubland.

As an aside I'd personally prefer if the green plate method of
    xxxx-D-202 was used because at least if you were knocked down or similar you would have the first few letters of the offender but as things stand you only get the year and county - we all read left to right

.flesym siht referp d'I .tniop dooG

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rick_Rack

Well it would be nice to have your reg to the county you live in. so people can see your "looooocal"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A disproportionate amount of "boy racer" VW's and Audi's seem to be on DL plates.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't buy a Donegal reg car, or one owned by someone up there. Seems like they all have big mileage and the roads are in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'd prefer if we returned to letters and numbers that didn't overtly display the age of the car or where it was registered. I know, sad nerds with nothing better to do with themselves can tell you that a pre-1987 car with a KI reg was from Waterford county, and one with EI was Sligo or whatever, but most people wouldn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It doesn't really bother me to be honest.

Once we had a CE Golf and we're from Cork a lady on our road ended up with a Jetta a few number above ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I don't really mind what the reg is. I'd like if we had number plates like up north. They look nicer and you can't tell what year a car is. A car could be 10 years old but it would look brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wouldn't give a damn. Obviously if I won the Euro millions and I bought a brand new supercar I'd make sure to get it on LM plates just to stand out from the crowd but that would be the only exception

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Nope, couldn't care less. I am from Dublin and mostly have had D reg plates but I lived in Wicklow for a while and just so happened to buy a WW reg car right before the move. I thought that was nice! But overall, no, I wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Would just be worried that there’d be an odd smell off it if it wasn’t a Dublin reg.

When I said “odd” I mean, like, bad. Boiled cabbage or old, rotten, grass. The type that would linger.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Would just be worried that there’d be an odd smell off it if it wasn’t a Dublin reg.

When I said “odd” I mean, like, bad. Boiled cabbage or old, rotten, grass. The type that would linger.

I had a Dublin reg car once and you couldn't move for the smell of heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

It sounds bad to say it but I would never buy a secondhand car if it didn’t have a D reg on it. As my DH said you’d “never know where it’s been,” and frankly we would never need a car with a tow bar on it anyway. It’s a moot point in any case since we haven’t bought a secondhand car in years. I genuinely don’t even know where you would get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Chocolate

.anon. wrote: »
    I'd prefer if we returned to letters and numbers that didn't overtly display the age of the car or where it was registered. I know, sad nerds with nothing better to do with themselves can tell you that a pre-1987 car with a KI reg was from Waterford county, and one with EI was Sligo or whatever, but most people wouldn't have a clue.

I must have been a sad nerd with nothing else to do.

You've just reminded me of the car games our parents used to play to keep us occupied on long journeys when we were kids.
    (No mobile phones/ tablets for entertainment back then)
    We used to know the all the county registrations.
    We always went to Waterford so your reference to "KI" has just reactivated some fond memories! Thanks!

From "AI" and "ZN" land.

When I was buying a second hand MH car from a Dublin dealership, I remarked that I was delighted it had the proper reg for me. He said it would be considered a drawback in the dealership world as it would be harder to sell.

Come on the Royal!

Advertisement