Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fencing questions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Where can esb poles be got though, particularly in the waterford, South Kk, south tipp area. Are ye talking new esb poles or the old ones which are replaced by the esb?

Either a neighbour could have a few in the corner of a field or you could find them on done deal. Their like hens teeth, and as Water John said keep out of south Tipp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tommyturf

Hi Folks, was looking at doing this on the side, outside of the day to day job. start with regular farms and maybe get into higher end commercial type fencing, thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

FRS have a real shortage of staff to do fencing contracts. As a small operation you should be fine, but expansion for you will be limited for the same reason.

A guy near near has set up a very good business doing power washing. This is domestic houses and industrial buildings, not the cubicle sheds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Following on from the power washing craic.
    There's a demand for good house painters. You wouldn't need the same outlay as power washing either.

Local man does power washing here with a van, ibc of water in the van with power washer and tows a cherrypicker behind the van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'd need to invest in an industrial model with its own power source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Some new toys! These are prob standard to most people but I have been used to “working out of nothing”. Hammer and nail bar. Never get a wire tight!

Below is handy! Get a decent strain but if you push your luck the wire will snap where it’s hooked on and pinched.

A92-AF50-C-EBE3-4-C13-9-AAC-FFBC825-CE82-D.jpg

This is a revelation for cutting wire!

CB68-BDA2-ABFB-4-C76-98-F0-5-FA8121-F5-C2-F.jpg

Below is incredible piece of kit. Awkward enough to get wire in to it. I assume all strainers are. Great value compared to the cost of Haynes strainer.

98-B32864-8408-415-B-A7-F5-792-D0-A4539-C5.jpg

Links below (no affiliation).

lyrlody Fence Strainer,1.2m Monkey Cattle Wire Fence Tensioner Pull Puller Stretcher Carbon Steel Chain Strainer Heavy Duty Farm Fence Cattle Wire Puller Repair Tool, Load Capacity 800 kg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T6G7HSV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BXeoFbY72B151

Draper 57547 Fence Wire...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002GUM6Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Draper 68450 260 mm Cushion Grip Fencing Pliers https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002GV0P6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3YeoFb86F2ZCF

Have you priced a contractor to do the job?

I'd nearly say there wouldnt be much difference in the price if you put a value on your time and the job is done by a professional.

Tommy Williamson in enniscorthy sells very good creosote stakes. Serious weight and very solid. Give him a call he'll deliver nearly any where

Prefer the hardship of doing it myself.

That’s kind of why I want to contractor to drive the strainer and do the stakes myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

893bet wrote: »

That’s kind of why I want to contractor to drive the strainer and do the stakes myself.

I do the same - but get a neighbour to drive all stakes. It’s sheep wire I put up though, so I like to get all the stakes in fairly solid...
    He charges 35euro/hour - so works out about a euro a stake but its worth to do the job properly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

893bet wrote: »

If there are 2 springs holding the jaws of your wire strainer together, snip one of them .
    A lot easier getting the chain into place then.

• Advertisement

Went PDM for a finish. Not really sure why but hopefully the fences will last.

Doesn’t look a lot but was 1800 euro!

3 x large 8 foot strainers (these seem to be 10 inches or so)
    25 x 5-7 inch 8 foot strainers
    105 x 4-5 inch posts 6 foot
    800 metres of wire

The large strainers seem the best value. They were 29 plus vat and ate serious wedges of timber. Sorry I didn’t upgrade another 10 of the strainers for the sake of an extra 10er a strainer.

DA213-BBE-A091-4-F8-A-84-A2-3-F8-DA7-A92-C77.jpg

Advertisement