Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAMS II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Sami23

So basically I can forget about it so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Sami23 wrote: »
    So basically I can forget about it so. :(

I'd do it anyway I doubt it was over subscribed so you might just have to wait till next tranche.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I'd do it anyway I doubt it was over subscribed so you might just have to wait till next tranche.

Problem with that is realistically shed won't be ready for next winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ODUBHLAOICH

What Conseng said! I applied for permission in June/July, they asked for extra information though they already had it in the original application. Got my permission in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

What Conseng said! I applied for permission in June/July, they asked for extra information though they already had it in the original application. Got my permission in November.

I could have wrote that word for word myself.

For those that submitted in phase 1, is there much work in the costing of it? Do you need quotes etc or just guesstamates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

For those that submitted in phase 1, is there much work in the costing of it? Do you need quotes etc or just guesstamates?[/quote

What cost is involved in getting the planning roughly as I'm considering a shed myself

cattle man wrote: »

For those that submitted in phase 1, is there much work in the costing of it? Do you need quotes etc or just guesstamates?[/quote

What cost is involved in getting the planning roughly as I'm considering a shed myself

I paid 1500 for 5 bay suckler shed,

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

For those that submitted in phase 1, is there much work in the costing of it? Do you need quotes etc or just guesstamates?

As much or as little work in it as you want. I guess the more work you put into it the more accurate the price you'll get and the more you can benefit from the grant. Note that in the marking scheme for grant approval 80 out of the 120ish marks are for your estimated cost versus the reference cost. If your estimated cost is 80% of the reference costs you get the full 80 marks. We were advised to put in 80% of the reference costs as our estimate to improve our chances of approval as it was over subscribed. Got the approval before Xmas

Freejin wrote: »
    As much or as little work in it as you want. I guess the more work you put into it the more accurate the price you'll get and the more you can benefit from the grant. Note that in the marking scheme for grant approval 80 out of the 120ish marks are for your estimated cost versus the reference cost. If your estimated cost is 80% of the reference costs you get the full 80 marks. We were advised to put in 80% of the reference costs as our estimate to improve our chances of approval as it was over subscribed. Got the approval before Xmas

So you worked exclusively off 80% of the reference cost and didn't price anything outside of that? That was my initial plan also. Did you put down cost relating to your own labour? Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

So you worked exclusively off 80% of the reference cost and didn't price anything outside of that? That was my initial plan also. Did you put down cost relating to your own labour? Thanks for the info.

We did some pricing around, and most of the stuff came in below the reference costs, maybe not the 80% but we were in a bit of a hurry for a milk tank so wanted to increase our chances of getting approval. None of what we sought approval for involved building works so can't answer costing labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

cattle man wrote: »

I paid 1500 for 5 bay suckler shed,

How much of the 1500 was for the draughtsman?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Gonna put up a simple 2-Bay Slatted shed under the YFCIS but need planning permission.
    Am I too late now as the current tranche is due to close on March 25th or would I be ok to go ahead ?
    Thanks

If that 2 bay shed is not going into an existing farmyard ie. a greenfield site you can apply for a section 5 planning exemption.

Did anyone hear anything about the building contractors for the sheds having to complete a very expensive training course before they can be approved to complete tams2 grant work?
    Something about erecting steel?
    Rumours are spreading around here with builders saying the cost will have to be passed to the farmer. Is there any substance to this?

If that 2 bay shed is not going into an existing farmyard ie. a greenfield site you can apply for a section 5 planning exemption.

No I'm actually extending onto an existing shed. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Can a farmer do the ground works himself or does it need to be done by a c2 registered builder

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

I would have agreed with this until recently. I did an application for a farmer in Mayo and Mayo County Council's interpretation of the exemption is that it only applies in an existing farmyard and they won't issue an exemption cert for development in a green field situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Did anyone hear anything about the building contractors for the sheds having to complete a very expensive training course before they can be approved to complete tams2 grant work?
    Something about erecting steel?
    Rumours are spreading around here with builders saying the cost will have to be passed to the farmer. Is there any substance to this?
    Ya that's true , all structural steel must be ce marked , farm building is class 1 about 15000 to do it , more paper work than anything . Steel has come well down so price around and make sure there ce approved and ul get a good price,

conseng wrote: »
    I would have agreed with this until recently. I did an application for a farmer in Mayo and Mayo County Council's interpretation of the exemption is that it only applies in an existing farmyard and they won't issue an exemption cert for development in a green field situation.

Yes I got caught with similar but it was in a SAC. Turns out you can't break ground in a SAC without planning, but up on an existing concrete slab would have been ok. Would it have been the same with you?

Ya that's true , all structural steel must be ce marked , farm building is class 1 about 15000 to do it , more paper work than anything . Steel has come well down so price around and make sure there ce approved and ul get a good price,

is it a course they must do? apparently only one builder around here has it done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

is that just the steel or does the erector need the course too?

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    is that just the steel or does the erector need the course too?
    The steel , it's really all about traceability , where u get the mig gas , welding wire , and steel , and either paint or dipping , all had to be of a certain standard. There is a lot of steel around at moment , loads in England brought in from China and its full of carbon , eg sheets being folded are splitting and something welded if it gets a bang is breaking , it's a lot to do with the last big storm too from insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Yes I got caught with similar but it was in a SAC. Turns out you can't break ground in a SAC without planning, but up on an existing concrete slab would have been ok. Would it have been the same with you?

No. Basically their interpretation of the exemption covering up to 200m2 of animal housing is that it only applies in an existing farmyard. It must also have safe access to the main road to be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Charliebull

conseng wrote: »
    No. Basically their interpretation of the exemption covering up to 200m2 of animal housing is that it only applies in an existing farmyard. It must also have safe access to the main road to be exempt.

that sound like some eejit making up his own rules,

i got my exemption cert last September for a green filed site over 100m from the farmyard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

for a small 2 span basic straw shed it wouldnt be worth the hassle of applying for the grant would it? think il just get a local lad to put it up to hell.

that sound like some eejit making up his own rules,

i got my exemption cert last September for a green filed site over 100m from the farmyard

For that exemption cert in a greenfield site, did you make a new entrance?

The steel , it's really all about traceability , where u get the mig gas , welding wire , and steel , and either paint or dipping , all had to be of a certain standard. There is a lot of steel around at moment , loads in England brought in from China and its full of carbon , eg sheets being folded are splitting and something welded if it gets a bang is breaking , it's a lot to do with the last big storm too from insurance companies

How does it cost 15k though?? Is it just a once off spend for the builder? Sorry for all the questions but I just cant get my head around it.

How much of the 1500 was for the draughtsman?

I just engaged an architect. I had the design drawn out, all he had to do was put it on cad, a few changes and submit it. 1500 covered everything from him and planning fees, advert in paper etc. You'll also have to have a agri planner do a nutrient management plan as part of the planning application. important part. They then made me do an environmental impact assessment which cost more again.

I though 1500 was a bit steep for the few hours he had to do, but what can you do.

How does it cost 15k though?? Is it just a once off spend for the builder? Sorry for all the questions but I just cant get my head around it.

Lot of rubbish involved , u have to do welding tests and the plates sent off to England , ur welders calibrated and other stuff I can't pick off the top of my head , but of course as its new the guys at the top creaming it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Got turned down for a grant for a milking machine today.

Well that's not entirely true, I got approved subject to an internal agitation point at the other end of the yard being removed, which won't be happening. Don't know what relevance an agitation point has with a milking machine and I wouldn't mind but it's only used for 10 mins a year to mix the last 10 ft that you can't get from the other end which is outside. It's also right beside a fully open side of the building so I don't see it as an issue from a health and safety point of view.

I'm wondering has this happened to anyone else? Or has anyone got full approval even though they have an internal agitation point in the yard? I'd be interested to hear the views of those of you that are more experienced in dealing with these pen pushers.

Advertisement