Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

glasses - goggles4u.com €8

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I ordered glasses recently but I'm very blind, prescription of +6.75 with a big astigmatism in both eyes.

The only website who I could find who would make my prescription for a reasonable cost was firmoo

They were about €130 with a frame costing about 30 euros

Quality is grand. Not as good as my local independent optician but then I wouldn't see any change our of 300 euros for a pair from there, so if these glasses last half as long, it's still worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Akrasia wrote: »
    The only website who I could find who would make my prescription for a reasonable cost was firmoo

They were about €130 with a frame costing about 30 euros

I've ordered stronger prescriptions than that from goggles4u - even with high index lenses or super high index lenses they would be less that half that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Kalyke wrote: »
    I use https://www.selectspecs.com for reading glasses.

Aldi and Lidl do reading glasses for a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

kneemos wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl do reading glasses for a few quid.

If you used reading glasses a lot then ready readers are not nearly as good as prescription readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I also use selectspecs and I highly recommend them. It takes a while for your glasses to be glazed if you have a unique prescription (which I have), but they’ve always been very reliable. You can also track your glasses across all stages of the glazing process, which is handy.

I haven’t tried any the other companies listed in the other posts as I was looking for a specific designer frame; however selectspecs also stock their ‘own brand’ frames which are very reasonably priced.

They regularly have discount codes (although less frequently when compared to the past few years). iirc they usually have a code for Black Friday,

One thing I really like is that they offer advice on which lens thickness suits your prescription (rather than specsavers who just upsell you an expensive thinning service irrespective of your needs). This puts control into your hands as to how much the frames/lenses cost in total. All coatings (anti-scratch, UV etc) are free across nearly all the lenses types.

I alwaysget my prescription from Specsavers when I go for an eye-test every 2 years. I ask the optician themselves directly when I’m finished my eye exam. As stated above, you are entitled to a copy of your own prescription (I found this out via the citizens information website, when I find the link I’ll update this post); it’s handy to have for your own records anyway as it allows you to track your prescription across time.

One thing I do recommend is getting a PD (pupillary distance) ruler..... selectspecs have one on their website to buy (think it’s around a few pound or so) and an instruction video on how to measure your PD. This is vital as it ensures the focus of your frames is accurate.

Best of luck with you online glasses purchase :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

I also use selectspecs and I highly recommend them. It takes a while for your glasses to be glazed if you have a unique prescription (which I have), but they’ve always been very reliable. You can also track your glasses across all stages of the glazing process, which is handy.

I haven’t tried any the other companies listed in the other posts as I was looking for a specific designer frame; however selectspecs also stock their ‘own brand’ frames which are very reasonably priced.

They regularly have discount codes (although less frequently when compared to the past few years). iirc they usually have a code for Black Friday,

One thing I really like is that they offer advice on which lens thickness suits your prescription (rather than specsavers who just upsell you an expensive thinning service irrespective of your needs). This puts control into your hands as to how much the frames/lenses cost in total. All coatings (anti-scratch, UV etc) are free across nearly all the lenses types.

I alwaysget my prescription from Specsavers when I go for an eye-test every 2 years. I ask the optician themselves directly when I’m finished my eye exam. As stated above, you are entitled to a copy of your own prescription (I found this out via the citizens information website, when I find the link I’ll update this post); it’s handy to have for your own records anyway as it allows you to track your prescription across time.

One thing I do recommend is getting a PD (pupillary distance) ruler..... selectspecs have one on their website to buy (think it’s around a few pound or so) and an instruction video on how to measure your PD. This is vital as it ensures the focus of your frames is accurate.

Best of luck with you online glasses purchase :)

I had my new prescription from Specsavers recently with the PD values : R 36.8. L 34.2. Is this difference unusual ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One thing I do recommend is getting a PD (pupillary distance)
    This is vital as it ensures the focus of your frames is accurate.

Or put pin pricks in a piece of cardboard. Not while in front of your eyes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

How long does delivery usually take? I'm waiting 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

I ordered from goggle4u on October 16; received them on Tuesday last Nov 6. Mine were reading glasses only - not complicated. Unusually delivery was from Pakistan via the UK. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

wait4me wrote: »
    .. Mine were reading glasses only - not complicated. Unusually delivery was from Pakistan via the UK. :confused:
    That's normal.
    Some/Most of them are made in Pakistan.
    Sometimes goggles4u.co.uk is cheaper than goggles4u.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

wait4me wrote: »
    I ordered from goggle4u on October 16; received them on Tuesday last Nov 6. Mine were reading glasses only - not complicated. Unusually delivery was from Pakistan via the UK. :confused:

Mine should be here today so, I ordered the 18th... Mine were as uncomplicated as you can get, zero prescription just anti glare coating for driving at night as I recently got lasered

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Mine should be here today so, I ordered the 18th... Mine were as uncomplicated as you can get, zero prescription just anti glare coating for driving at night as I recently got lasered

Anti glare coating only reduces glare caused by the spectacle lenses it won’t reduce natural glare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Has anyone bought the premium coating with the hydrophilic coating? I’m wondering if it would help with fogging and the masks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Has anyone bought the premium coating with the hydrophilic coating? I’m wondering if it would help with fogging and the masks

Presuming it’s just standard anti glare with hydrophobic so more dust, static and finger print resistant. Will still fog up
    I’m afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I fold a tissue and put it under the top part of the mask (over the nasal bridge), pull down my glasses on top of the mask and tissue, no fogging.

Advertisement