Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land commission

Options
  • 07-08-2020 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

There is a strip of land beside me and the folio number is in the name of the land commission but it forms part of another field which folio is in the name of an individual, how can this be? Does it mean that this piece of land is still actually owned by the LC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Possibly just not registered by the new owner? Afaik, there isn't an automatic update of the folios.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

baaba maal wrote: »
    Possibly just not registered by the new owner? Afaik, there isn't an automatic update of the folios.

Thanks for replying, who would I contact to find out?

Thanks for replying, who would I contact to find out?

I'm not sure- I work in a local authority and I occasionally hear about little bits of ground that the council have "inherited" from roadworks etc, but when it comes to establishing ownership we find the plot was never registered to the council at the time, so we then go about registering it with the Land Registry.

With regards to the land beside you, it is up to the individual to register it as a separate folio, or have the maps updated to reflect the change in ownership. If you have intentions in that direction yourself (not suggesting you do, just raising the possibility) I would definitely talk to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

baaba maal wrote: »
    I'm not sure- I work in a local authority and I occasionally hear about little bits of ground that the council have "inherited" from roadworks etc, but when it comes to establishing ownership we find the plot was never registered to the council at the time, so we then go about registering it with the Land Registry.

With regards to the land beside you, it is up to the individual to register it as a separate folio, or have the maps updated to reflect the change in ownership. If you have intentions in that direction yourself (not suggesting you do, just raising the possibility) I would definitely talk to a solicitor.

Well if the land was still actually with the land commission I would look at the possibility of buying it but if it is in fact owed by an individual I’d leave it alone, how would I actually find this out?

I am presuming you have paid to see the actual folios on www.landdirect.ie ? Hence the suggestion to talk to a solicitor following that. If you go down the adverse possession route ("squatters rights")- you have to be able to demonstrate that you preventing any putative owners from accessing the land over a number of years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement