Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does the 3 data sim have to be activated or anything, can it be activated here or outside the UK?

Can be activated here, basically works out of the box. I'd recommend registering it on Three.co.uk so that you can see how much balance is left on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Vodafone 2.99€ per day 200MB data and 1000min/SMS per day. Worked for me in Canada a few years back no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shamrock65

Hi

Whats the best sim to get to make calls from the USA and send texts and use Data can i get a sim in Ireland or do i need to get one from the Uk sorry if this has been posted before but i just keep reading about Data Sims none that has all

Regards
    John

M

shamrock65 wrote: »
    Hi

Whats the best sim to get to make calls from the USA and send texts and use Data can i get a sim in Ireland or do i need to get one from the Uk sorry if this has been posted before but i just keep reading about Data Sims none that has all

Regards
    John

A standard Vodafone SIM when opted in to Red Roaming will give you unlimited calls and texts and 200MB per day data for €3 a day, probably best option for an Irish SIM.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/travelling-abroad.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wavert

Lenny wrote:
    I bought mine here, slighty cheaper than my memory and it has mins and texts too

Did you manage to get this working? Just wondering how you purchased the add on. I see it days to dial 444 but I assume this only works in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

Lenny wrote: »
    i havent used mine yet, but i think the mins/texts will only be to UK numbers,
    what my plan to do was divert my mobile to my virgin landline, then divert my virgin landline(i have unlimited calls to uk numbers) to the uk mobile

Did you manage divert from virgin to uk mobile? I tried most networks but its only possible to divert to irish number.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Using simple mobile bring your own phone sim kit at moment in states. 99c for sim top up by 25$ gives 3Gb of data unlimited calls and texts plus I can call home to 15 different numbers landline or mobile all included.
    https://shop.simplemobile.com/shop/en/simplemobile/simcards/sm-byop-mini-sim-tri-punch is the sim and just bought 25$ topup which was to include 1 Gb data but offer increased to 3 and seems to be part of t-mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

In the USA now. Got EUR50 't mobile unlimited 4G data and calls and texts for a month and its perfect. The whole family tethers on it, I had 7 devices connected to it yesterday :D

Have it in my dual sim phone so I can still make ant take business calls on my Irish number

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

unkel wrote:
    In the USA now. Got EUR50 't mobile unlimited 4G data and calls and texts for a month and its perfect. The whole family tethers on it, I had 7 devices connected to it yesterday

Can you give a link to this? I see a prepaid $75 plan but tethering is 3g only.

Sorry no link but go into any tmobile store and they'll suggest this plan (they knew full well the other 4 would be tethering on me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Brilliant, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

unkel wrote: »
    In the USA now. Got EUR50 't mobile unlimited 4G data and calls and texts for a month and its perfect. The whole family tethers on it, I had 7 devices connected to it yesterday :D

Have it in my dual sim phone so I can still make ant take business calls on my Irish number
    Wondering what's the official name of this plan? Can't find it on their website? What does it cost in $$?

Right. Back home now. I don't know the name of the plan, but beware. It is unlimited alright, but the fast 4G is limited to 10GB (it says this nowhere not even in the small print. And I specifically asked the people in the shop and they assured me it was unlimited 4G). After that was taken up (and it doesn't take that long with myself and 4 other people tethering off me with Netflix, youtube, etc.), speeds were severely reduced. Just enough for some very basic browsing and for SatNav (which I obviously needed most)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Better off using the 3UK 12GB data sim posted a few pages back. The 12GB lasts for a year and can be topped up if you use the 12GB. You also can use whatever network you like in the states. T-MOBILE had the worst speeds in Boston, NYC & DC by a mile, so chose Verizon or AT&T instead.

It also has the bonus of being able to lash the sim into your phone the minute you land and instantly have data, as some airports in the states have very short time limited free WiFi, or none at all. Saves you having to go to a phone shop and buying a sim, and having to avoid being ripped off too!

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Better off using the 3UK 12GB data sim posted a few pages back. The 12GB lasts for a year and can be topped up if you use the 12GB. You also can use whatever network you like in the states. T-MOBILE had the worst speeds in Boston, NYC & DC by a mile, so chose Verizon or AT&T instead.

It also has the bonus of being able to lash the sim into your phone the minute you land and instantly have data, as some airports in the states have very short time limited free WiFi, or none at all. Saves you having to go to a phone shop and buying a sim, and having to avoid being ripped off too!

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

I used one of these before Christmas in NY and with my European phone I could not get a 4G connection over there and on H+ or more often 3G the speed were so bad I just used the phone on the hotel wifi.

Aye. Same experience I had last year in NY with my Eir mobile (normally perfect anywhere in Europe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

European phones work on a different 4G frequency to the US. Unless you have a quadband phone it cannot pick up 4G unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

European phones work on a different 4G frequency to the US. Unless you have a quadband phone it cannot pick up 4G unfortunately.

I'm in NY /USA at the moment.

The 3uk works fine. Not much 4g access in the city, but good 3g coverage, fine for social media and stuff.
    The lad tried the T Mobile tourist sim. They couldn't get it to work properly, on a Motorola Moto G5. Tried in 2 different shops, no go.
    He got the AT&T sim, works fine. 40e for a month with USA calls/text and 2GB of data. Seems to be working OK.

Aye. My S7 didn't have 4G last year, but this year my S8+ had 4G no problem. The guys in t-mobile can check the phone model against a database and can see if their 4G sim will work with your phone.

I was initially going for the 2G tourist sim (for satnav), but went for the unlimited package so my family could tether and we'd all have fast internet where ever we were. It worked great, but unfortunately unlimited wasn't unlimited :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know that which is why I specified European in the post.
    I used one of these before Christmas in NY and with my European phone I could not get a 4G connection over there and on H+ or more often 3G the speed were so bad I just used the phone on the hotel wifi.

• Advertisement

I know that which is why I specified European in the post.

I didn't quote you in my post nor were you the only poster to mention the topic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Anyone help me out please. Thread is very long. Going to Boston for two weeks. We need two SIM cards preferably be able to make calls in USA when there but could live without too. Could someone please link to what you think I should go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Sneachta wrote: »
    Anyone help me out please. Thread is very long. Going to Boston for two weeks. We need two SIM cards preferably be able to make calls in USA when there but could live without too. Could someone please link to what you think I should go for.

+1
    I'm travelling cross country in August & would like to know which option people would recommend. Can I use the above Three data sim from mymemory in a phone? Will that have reliable access outside major cities or should I opt for a package from a US carrier? Thanks.

M

Sneachta wrote: »
    Simi wrote: »
    +1
    I'm travelling cross country in August & would like to know which option people would recommend. Can I use the above Three data sim from mymemory in a phone? Will that have reliable access outside major cities or should I opt for a package from a US carrier? Thanks.

If it's calls only and very low data of 200mb or less per day the Vodafone Red Roaming deal of €3 per day may be what you need.

Three data sim will work fine in a phone, remember though that it will not be able to make calls or send or receive texts.

If you need to make calls/texts as well as data then I would recommend at&t gophone plans. I use the $45 top up which is 6GB of high speed data (supposedly data is at throttled speeds after that but I haven't noticed) and unlimited calls and texts. If it is data only then someone else may be able to weigh in with a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I used this sim deal when I was in states in June
    https://shop.simplemobile.com/shop/en/simplemobile/simcards/sm-byop-mini-sim-tri-punch
    Comes with all calls text and 3gb of data also allows calls to ireland as well. Was dollar for sim and 25 dollars for deal dearer ones give more data. Its on t-mobile network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If you need to make calls/texts as well as data then I would recommend at&t gophone plans. I use the $45 top up which is 6GB of high speed data (supposedly data is at throttled speeds after that but I haven't noticed) and unlimited calls and texts. If it is data only then someone else may be able to weigh in with a better option.
    This is what my son is using around ny at present. Works OK,as does my 3uk sim for data only

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

Looking for help with a 3 UK sim my son has brought with him to L.A. he can get internet coverage but can't make calls or texts.
    He has contacted 3 and they are telling him he can only call UK numbers??? Anyone got any ideas all the posts on here suggest there is no problem using the sim as you would here at home (Ireland). He called me on it before he left and it made calls and texts no problem.
    Any suggestions what the issue is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Garfin wrote: »
    Looking for help with a 3 UK sim my son has brought with him to L.A. he can get internet coverage but can't make calls or texts.
    He has contacted 3 and they are telling him he can only call UK numbers??? Anyone got any ideas all the posts on here suggest there is no problem using the sim as you would here at home (Ireland). He called me on it before he left and it made calls and texts no problem.

Afaik it's data only so tell him to use WhatsApp or messenger for calls or texts.

• Advertisement
    M

Garfin wrote: »

Has he called you from the US on that phone before? Could be incompatible with the bands used over there.

Advertisement