Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Staters? Term of Abuse?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

robp wrote: »
    I am not sure what your point is. If your taking a shot at the movement's sincerity well then just look at the civil rights movement in the US and observe how it was non existent over decades of black discrimination.

The welfare state in its modern form only began to come about after WW2. There were eruptions of violence there before the 1960s but wide scale civil disobedience or violence takes many factors to coalesce.

My point is that there were open borders between the North and the Republic and ready access to the UK. Why did the Nationalists just sit back and take what was given to them. They had options. When the Nazis started to act up thousands of German Jews left Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Citycap wrote: »
    My point is that there were open borders between the North and the Republic and ready access to the UK. Why did the Nationalists just sit back and take what was given to them. They had options. When the Nazis started to act up thousands of German Jews left Germany.

I don't think even the most extreme dissent republican would compare themselves to Jews in Nazis Germany. Their was persecution in the North but it was in no way comparable to what Jews suffered even before their extermination commenced in the 1940s. It takes a huge amount of intolerance to leave your home. Its easy to appreciate that for a northern catholic taking refugee in the republic would feel like letting the 'colonists' win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is that victim blaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Eh? Why would they leave their homes?

You really should read up on the period 1922-1968 in Northern Ireland. Here's a good start.

This point is not directed at you Citycap, but the level of absolute willful ignorance about what was happening in Northern Ireland during that period is staggering. When you start researching it you realise just what a gross abomination the Orange State was. Sure, the Republic had it's issues but absolutely nothing compared to the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

have never heard the term being used myself but I often here 'free state' when referring to the republic, mostly older people use it, I don't see the problem with it, isn't ROI a state? Isn't it 'free'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

If NI was all that bad, why did they not leave :confused:

Jesus Christ, give the trolling a rest: it's pathetic. If you were making a serious point, it could be easily pointed out to you that, in fact, emigration was far higher from nationalist areas than from unionist areas and that, furthermore, Stormont government policy was designed to keep nationalist areas poorer with the intention of increasing emigration and keeping the native Irish population more manageable by the unionist herrenvolk in this last pathetic remnant of Britain's Irish colony. Oh, and for a citation on that Stormont policy you can read any textbook on the conflict since 1921. Here's a nice, simple synopsis just for you from a 1983 study.

But you are not making a serious point; you're merely trying to troll us. A serious answer is therefore not warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Why would you make such an ignorant comment, without even looking at the far higher emigration figures from the nationalist community living under British occupation in the Six Counties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It seems to occur in common parlance but it's certainly not an adequate historical term.

Advertisement