Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have not seen my daughter in 12 years

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭chris525

I've been on the receiving end of this: I was the abandoned daughter. I saw my father a grand total of 3 times as a child, no birthday cards, no phone calls, no letters, nothing.

He asked my mother if he could have my phone number when I was 18. I told him to **** off. After all, he was never there for me so why try to be BFFs at 18?

Be prepared for a negative/angry response especially if you wait until the child is 18. By 18, they will know what you have done and some possible reasons why you did it. I wouldn't wait that long.

Start with letters. Very slowly. A card for every holiday. I had no concept of 'dad' or what a dad was. It will be alien to her.

I'm 31 now and might give him a chance now but I'd also yell at him and express my anger. You're going to have to put up with that and stick with it. Be prepared for a hurricane of insults. Don't give up one day you'll get through. I'm not sure what kind of a relationship you'd be able to build with a 31-year old but you could try (if it comes to this situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

12 years ago was 2007.

Why did you wait til 2010 to attempt to make contact? You don't have to answer that here but you need to ask yourself that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Hi Chris525

As this thread is 3 months old and the OP hasn't been back I am closing this thread.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement