Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

CNN saying that Kelly is expected to resign over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hurrache wrote: »
    CNN saying that Kelly is expected to resign over the next couple of days.

1) distraction? Its been said before
    2) if true, has he washed his hands because the last shoe is about to drop or
    3) trump is about to do something beyond stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

everlast75 wrote: »
    Cohen is in regarding two matters - SDNY and Mueller. Details of his cooperation will be made public - well, as much as the investigators want to be made public. Serious potential for more incriminating acts of Trump to be broadcast.

Manafort's case will be in today. Details of how he mislead the investigators and why his plea deal was revoked. Again, more bad publicity for DJT.

Finally, Comey was summonsed to appear to give evidence behind closed doors before the Senate today. He fought it in Court and the deal struck was that his evidence would be released tomorrow.

All in all, not gonna be a good Friday for DJT

I reckon there's going to be so much black ink used to cover the crimes and misdimeanours contained in these documents from Mueller to the court, that today will be forever known as another Black Friday or simply Redaction Day...

His supporters have been unusually quiet on here for a while...

Probably in Moscow getting re-booted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

everlast75 wrote: »
    1) distraction? Its been said before
    2) if true, has he washed his hands because the last shoe is about to drop or
    3) trump is about to do something beyond stupid

Apparently the two of them have reached an impasse in their relationship and aren't speaking anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hurrache wrote: »
    Apparently the two of them have reached an impasse in their relationship and aren't speaking anymore.

And remember, Trump is the dealmaker, a businessman canny and wise in the art of business and success. Or so it goes. That he can't even get his own administration to work with him (or together), must surely be another nail in the coffin of the myth of Trump as master businesdman. He couldn't manage a McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

pixelburp wrote: »
    And remember, Trump is the dealmaker, a businessman canny and wise in the art of business and success. Or so it goes. That he can't even get his own administration to work with him (or together), must surely be another nail in the coffin of the myth of Trump as master businesdman. He couldn't manage a McDonalds.

Didn't he also promise to only hire "the very best people"? What a joke! Kelly has been reduced from a well-respected army General to a laughing stock. He must regret the day he ever got involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Didn't he also promise to only hire "the very best people"? What a joke! Kelly has been reduced from a well-respected army General to a laughing stock. He must regret the day he ever got involved.

By most reports Kelly has been the only one keeping the White House in any sort of functioning condition. I think his reputation will be tarnished by having been Trump's CoS, and very much so if Trump ends up being indicted or anything, but I thought Kelly was one behind the scenes keeping some semblance of order on the WH and some restraint on Trump's worst impulses. Laughing stock would be a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Proposed Attorney General

William Barr
    Democrats would presumably want reassurances that Barr, who as attorney general would be in position to oversee Mueller’s investigation, would not do anything to interfere with the probe.
    Still, while in private practice, Barr has occasionally weighed in on hot-button investigative matters in ways that could prompt concerns among Democrats.

He told The New York Times in November 2017, in a story about Sessions directing his prosecutors to look into actions related to Trump rival Hillary Clinton, that “there is nothing inherently wrong about a president calling for an investigation” — though Barr also said one should not be opened just because a president wants it.

He said there was more basis to investigate a uranium deal approved while Clinton was secretary of state in the Obama administration than potential collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign.

“To the extent it is not pursuing these matters, the department is abdicating its responsibility,” Barr told the newspaper.

He also wrote an op-ed for The Washington Post in May 2017 defending Trump’s decision to fire former FBI Director James Comey, one of the actions Mueller has been examining for possible obstruction of justice.

• Advertisement

Proposed Attorney General

William Barr

Confirmed now apparently. I'll look for a proper source.

Edit: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/07/politics/william-barr-attorney-general-nomination/index.html
    President Donald Trump has decided to nominate former attorney general William Barr to be the next permanent head of the Justice Department, the President told reporters Friday.
    Barr, a former attorney general under President George H.W. Bush, has been emerging this week as a consensus candidate to succeed Jeff Sessions as attorney general, two sources familiar with Trump's thinking told CNN on Thursday.
    Trump picked Matthew Whitaker to be acting attorney general after Sessions was fired last month.
    This story is breaking and will be updated.

Penn wrote: »

He must be suffering from a very bad dose of nappy rash today!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'd love to see those 87 pages. Probably written in crayon.

I'm assuming it's just the sentence "I didn't do it" written over and over again for 87 pages.

It's 86 pages of "IVANKA AND I ARE INNOCENT OF EVERYTHING!" followed by one page just saying "But you can take Don Jr and the other guy if you want."

• Advertisement

Not to worry... He'll just hire another few 'illegal immigrants' from Guatemala and pay them peanuts to apply the Sudocreme...

It's 86 pages of "IVANKA AND I ARE INNOCENT OF EVERYTHING!" followed by one page just saying "But you can take Don Jr and the other guy if you want."

Nah I'd say he'll keep Don Jr for a bit longer. Eric and Tiffany must be very worried though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

I see that Rex Tillerson is now coming out criticising Trump. I have a feeling that the end is nigh and they're all trying to distance themselves as far as they can.

Panrich wrote: »
    I see that Rex Tillerson is now coming out criticising Trump. I have a feeling that the end is nigh and their all trying to distance themselves as far as they can.

Wasn't it Tillerson that famously referred to him as a "f**king idiot" or was that someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

About another 6 years till the end.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Wasn't it Tillerson that famously referred to him as a "f**king idiot" or was that someone else?

Yes a moron.

Latest from here:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2018/dec/07/trump-mueller-kelly-live-latest-news-updates-russia-investigation-us-politics-today?page=with:block-5c0a8f11e4b0bee792a03a75#block-5c0a8f11e4b0bee792a03a75

Tillerson, the former ExxonMobil CEO who led the state department until March of this year, said he and Trump lacked a “common value system”.

“It was challenging for me coming from the disciplined, highly process-oriented ExxonMobil Corporation to go to work for a man who is pretty undisciplined,” Tillerson said at a fundraiser in Houston on Thursday.

He added that the president “doesn’t like to read, doesn’t read briefing reports, doesn’t like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, ‘look, this is what I believe and you can try to convince me otherwise, but most of the time you’re not going to do that’”.

Trump famously dumped Tillerson in a tweet, in which the president named Mike Pompeo as his successor. Tillerson had long clashed with the president and once allegedly referred to his boss as a “moron” behind his back (with some more colorful language we won’t repeat here).

Tillerson, who has kept a relatively low profile since leaving the administration, said he was often forced to push back on the president and his many, many impulses.

“When the president would say, ‘Here’s what I want to do, and here’s how I want to do it,’ and I’d have to say to him, ‘Well, Mr. President, I understand what you want to do but you can’t do it that way,’” Tillerson said.

“It violates the law, it violates the treaty, you know.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Panrich wrote: »
    I see that Rex Tillerson is now coming out criticising Trump. I have a feeling that the end is nigh and they're all trying to distance themselves as far as they can.

Ah, remember him? Fells like a lifetime ago he was around...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

How can he write 87 pages to counter a report he hasn't seen yet?

demfad wrote: »
    How can he write 87 pages to counter a report he hasn't seen yet?

It's difficult to write small in crayon, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,347 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was I the only one who read that in the voice of Stephen Colbert's impression of Trump ?

So it seems trump went on a twitter rant this morning. I mean that's not new but apparently(I say apparently because I've not read the tweets and that's what some are saying) it was a new low in terms of the mans stability. I see the reports about the AG are true and it seems he believes that stupid conspiracy theory(debunked beautifully by Shepard smith btw) about uranium one which must have helped his choice. The one thing about him is he's actually qualified for the position he has been nominated for having actually done it before.

I see former Fox News host heather nuert(sorry if I've butchered her surname) is the nominee for a cabinet position as US ambassador to the UN. I mean at
    least Nikki Haley had actual government experience and by all accounts did very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

Just saw this quote elsewhere and thought it was pretty funny.

Willie Giest;

"President Trump launched a Twitter rant slightly before 7am this morning and after skimming the trees for a while, decided to bring it in for a landing"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

It's difficult to write small in crayon, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

And he will be using the Biggest Words: The Best Words.

This is a great sign that he is indeed getting rattled. Getting your "retaliation" in early is a classic blunderbuss strategy. He can do whatever he likes, but it wont change the outcome. The writing is on the wall, and all that remains is to follow the slow development of a complex case that will take down each and every Trump support mechanism one by one. Only then will they go for the man himself, whether he is still in office or not.

Dont expect any "shock revelations", but just keep an eye on the overall picture as more and more pieces fall into place. Also: invest heavily in Popcorn futures. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-mueller-investigation-russia-report-response-twitter-rudy-giuliani-a8672386.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Trumps little Twitter rant may have gotten himself in deep water, as people are questioning how he could possibly have created an 87 page rebuttal of Mueller, when Muellers probe hasn't even been released.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-mueller-investigation-russia-report-response-twitter-rudy-giuliani-a8672386.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Trumps little Twitter rant may have gotten himself in deep water, as people are questioning how he could possibly have created an 87 page rebuttal of Mueller, when Muellers probe hasn't even been released.

Easy really paul manafort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Easy really paul manafort.

All very cool and very legal

• Advertisement

CNN are reporting that muellers team have spoken to White House chief of staff (well as of now) John Kelly and Trump has also fired back at former Secretary of State Rex tillerson calling him "dumb as rocks...and lazy as hell"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I look forward to wandering through Waterstones / Hodges Figgis in 20 years and taking in how the US History section will likely have a section dedicated to Trump alone. The "tell all"'s from this era will keep publishing houses in clover for years to come, and his flimsy NDAs won't stop them.

It's remarkable how manager of people such as himself can demand such eye watering loyalty, yet almost never reciprocate. In fact it's the opposite, he's straight up childish in his bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I look forward to wandering through Waterstones / Hodges Figgis in 20 years and taking in how the US History section will likely have a section dedicated to Trump alone. The "tell all"'s from this era will keep publishing houses in clover for years to come, and his flimsy NDAs won't stop them.

It's remarkable how manager of people such as himself can demand such eye watering loyalty, yet almost never reciprocate. In fact it's the opposite, he's straight up childish in his bitterness.

I think it is incredible that given the position the US held on the world stage, for ever more, other countries/leaders can point to Trump and say, they can't be that great, look at how this guy became President.

They have to live with the fact that his picture will always be hanging in the White house as a one time President of America.

I'd love to know what the likes of Henry Kissinger truly thinks of him and what he has done for America's image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I look forward to wandering through Waterstones / Hodges Figgis in 20 years and taking in how the US History section will likely have a section dedicated to Trump alone.

I imagine that section will need to be divided in two. One for the adults and another over in the childrens section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I imagine that section will need to be divided in two. One for the adults and another over in the childrens section.

Well here is a book for the children's section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFj4vOc4GIY

Re Cohen- in summary: the SDNY's wants Cohen to do 4-5+ years and says he refused to fully cooperate. Mueller takes no position on Cohen's sentence, but says that basically, Cohen handed them the President and others in the campaign.

Twitter storm makes sense now....

NY prosecutors seeking substantial sentence (approx. 4 years) for Cohen for tax and campaign finance violations. Should be noted that's NY prosecutors, not Muellers team. Mueller not seeking any further sentences for things arising from the special counsel investigation due to his cooperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Filing of SDNY and Mueller reach past the Transition time into WH in the 2017/18 time period. This is big.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071177621445230596?s=19

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I don't think he realises he's Individual-1.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Individual No 1.... again.

Impeachable beyond a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

He absolutely does know

This is his attempt to distract. Get people talking about how deluded or stupid he is rather than the fact that the Fed's believe the current POTUS actively took park in helping Russia influence the US elections.

There should be demos on the streets tonight to have him removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wonder what spin is Fox News going to put on this?

NY prosecutors seeking substantial sentence (approx. 4 years) for Cohen for tax and campaign finance violations. Should be noted that's NY prosecutors, not Muellers team. Mueller not seeking any further sentences for things arising from the special counsel investigation due to his cooperation.

I predict 24 months max, taking into account Trump's tweets to influence the court..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

From CNN it seems Paul Manafort broke his deal with Mueller by contacting a member of Trump's Admin team this year after he was convicted, given a term of home arrest on the basis he would comply with specific terms, then also broke those terms and went to prison, then had some-one act as a conduit to the Trump Admin again while in prison.

If Kelly resigns and goes voluntarily to Mueller without request or subpoena to provide evidence of criminality [paper-trail] in respect of Don and his family members of collusion and direct involvement in obstruction of the investigation, then it may well be over for Don before the 25th. It would be sensible for him to pardon Mike Pence and any other members of his team before resigning with the proviso that Mike Pence would do the same for him on taking the oath of office, but Don, living as he does in an alternative world, doesn't always do the sensible thing.

The investigation will have an collator proof-reading any documentation it hands in to the court, alongside seized evidence, setting out the links. So far the links seem to be ._._._. If Kelly stepped forward the chain is likely unbreakable. I see the investigation so far as not overstepping its bounds despite daily goading from Don.

If former AG Barr declined an offer from Don to become his AG, then... but the offer may be too tempting. A refusal would also vindicate Jeff's recusal decision and Whitaker's position so far.

• Advertisement

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Donald Trump is nothing but an internet troll. And that sufficient numbers of the electorate think this is a good thing is the real worrying thing
    If he posted on Boards, he'd be one of those arseholes that open about 10 accounts a week because they keep getting banned.
    In fact I'm pretty sure he's been on this thread in multiple guises. :D

Plus
    James Comey
    (@Comey)
    Today wasn’t a search for truth, but a desperate attempt to find anything that can be used to attack the institutions of justice investigating this president. They came up empty today but will try again. In the long run, it'll make no difference because facts are stubborn things.

December 8, 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭amandstu

Pretty good from Avenatti
    "@realDonaldTrump - I have to give you credit where credit is due. You always have said you were No.1."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's still funny 12 hours later.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All,

The purpose of this thread is not ' Who can post the funniest quip about Donald Trump'

Let's try and keep it more serious please.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement