Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Or how about they just stay out of the US. If they want 'refuge' why not pick any other country in central or southern America, why is the US their only option ?
    Just existing does not give you a definite path to legal immigration, at this point the border is closed for more legal entry, as the US are entitled to do.

certain sections of the media are scrambling for pictures of only adult men, others scrambling for only women and children. The reality is a small enough percentage of that group is children, I don't think anyone is actually intentionally teargassing a child and then its the parents responsibility for bringing their children into those tension points with police.

Oh ffs.

Would you do me a favour and just once put yourself in the shoes of someone less fortunate and imagine how you would like to be treated.

You're very lucky to be borne where you are. Never lose sight of that fact. It can be quite a useful exercise when you spend your time strutting around on a high horse.

I'm sure the RUC didn't plan on killing people with rubber bullets up north but that's what happened.

If an admin can't use something safely on the public then they shouldn't use it. Period.

Imagine trapsing 2000 miles LEGALLY to apply for asylum and then meeting someone at the border with the same attitude that you have now and for that door to close.

They have left everything at home for the risk of a better life. Their numbers are microscopic compared to the population of the US and despite what the dear leader says, the system has been working perfectly fine.

If 5000 people marched twice a year into the US, it would take 525 years before they made up 1% of the population.

But no, while they are acting legally, its the government who have done no wrong despite carrying out human rights abuse.

Its all a dog whistle to racists and xenophobes. Same as the refusal to denounce Charlottesville torch bearers, the accusation that all mexicans are rapists and drug dealers, the building of the wall, detaining kids and taking no steps to find them once lost in the system, oh and of course the muslim ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Children were tear-gassed but the people doing the tear-gassing are blameless. Okay.

when you have a hoard of people of whom the majority are able bodied adults trying to get over an illegal border crossing and you need to disperse them, what product or weapon is more accurate and as harmful at doing that to the adults but avoids the kids ?

I think the problem is that you think they should be over the border and as a result ashore the use of force.
    I don't think they should be allowed over the border and as such teargas is the best of a bad lot of options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

They were allowed in, which is one of the problems Donny T was elected to stop.

I can find no evidence that 'caravans' of any size (in the sense of comprising hundreds or thousands of people) pre-existed Trump's presidency. The 1st one I can find is one from Holy Week in 2017, labelled "The Way of the Migrants", presumably a reference to the Holy Week "Way of the Cross".

Either previous ones were ignored by the media, or migrants didn't clump together into such large groups previously.

I would welcome any correction.

Show me proof that their entry into the US has had a negative effect.

I mean - that's what you're claiming right?

You're not claiming they should be stopped because they are benefiting the U.S. surely?

So - show me the proof. Show me where they are ripping off the US system.

Tell me what happens to them.

Tell me why Donny's system is better.

Give me facts.

Because if you quote me the stats he has spouted, I will show you each and every one of them is bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

when you have a hoard of people of whom the majority are able bodied adults trying to get over an illegal border crossing and you need to disperse them, what product or weapon is more accurate and as harmful at doing that to the adults but avoids the kids ?

I'm not a security expert. I know that tear-gassing children is wrong though.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps they could try something new? Maybe separate the adults from their children and put them in different cages. Oh wait...

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    Show me proof that their entry into the US has had a negative effect.

I mean - that's what you're claiming right?

You're not claiming they should be stopped because they are benefiting the U.S. surely?

So - show me the proof. Show me where they are ripping off the US system.

Tell me what happens to them.

Tell me why Donny's system is better.

Give me facts.

Because if you quote me the stats he has spouted, I will show you each and every one of them is bullsh1t.

Show me proof that they have a positive effect ?

South and Central American countries are some of the most dangerous places on the planet, home to numerous large violent gangs and drug cartels. Hispanic crime rates in the US are massive, lack of education and welfare receipt rate among the legal ones are higher than native population and that isn't even counting the illegal immigrants. Like it or not, anyone crossing an illegal border crossing is a criminal, and this is a country that wants to curtail the amount of people coming from central and South America.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/03/latin-america-is-the-worlds-most-dangerous-region-but-there-are-signs-its-turning-a-corner/

"ohh they're teargassing a child" is awful, but not a justification to open a border to a caravan of migrants the US doesn't want and is entitled to deny entry to.

Show me proof that they have a positive effect ?

South and Central American countries are some of the most dangerous places on the planet, home to numerous large violent gangs and drug cartels. Hispanic crime rates in the US are massive, lack of education and welfare receipt rate among the legal ones are higher than native population and that isn't even counting the illegal immigrants. Like it or not, anyone crossing an illegal border crossing is a criminal, and this is a country that wants to curtail the amount of people coming from central and South America.

"ohh they're teargassing a child" is awful, but not a justification to open a border to a caravan of migrants the US doesn't want and is entitled to deny entry to.

God Eric, you're making it sound like people who want a better life would have an extremely valid reason for leaving there.

Thanks for making my argument for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Don't know why Cartman ist upset, illegals are not only good for the US economy, they're vital.
    I'm sure as a good conservative he should approve of the exploitation of poor people for the enrichment of the top 1%, that is basically the republican party's manifesto.
    The R's pay lipservice to cracking down on immigration, but only a complete fool would cut off a source of poor, exploitable migrants.

http://theconversation.com/why-care-about-undocumented-immigrants-for-one-thing-theyve-become-vital-to-key-sectors-of-the-us-economy-98790

God Eric, you're making it sound like people who want a better life would have an extremely valid reason for leaving there.

Thanks for making my argument for me.

and I want a Rolls Royce , doesn't mean I'm going to get one. They might want a better life, but that doesn't mean they get free passage into the USA to get one. It certainly doesn't mean they can illegally gain entrance to the US.

Funnily enough, if 'the wall' was built, no kids would have been tear gassed.

Don't know why Cartman ist upset, illegals are not only good for the US economy, they're vital.
    I'm sure as a good conservative he should approve of the exploitation of poor people for the enrichment of the top 1%, that is basically the republican party's manifesto.
    The R's pay lipservice to cracking down on immigration, but only a complete fool would cut off a source of poor, exploitable migrants.

http://theconversation.com/why-care-about-undocumented-immigrants-for-one-thing-theyve-become-vital-to-key-sectors-of-the-us-economy-98790

theres a difference between turning off a tap when a glass is full of water and having no water in the glass at all.

• Advertisement

and I want a Rolls Royce , doesn't mean I'm going to get one. They might want a better life, but that doesn't mean they get free passage into the USA to get one. It certainly doesn't mean they can illegally gain entrance to the US.

1) they were looking for legal entry. Can you stop repeating that lie, and also can you stop with the assertion that the US can refuse asylum without acknowledging that it is in breach of historical agreements there for decades.

2) the wall would not have been built at a port of entry so that's bs too.

1) they were looking for legal entry. Can you stop repeating that lie, and also can you stop with the assertion that the US can refuse asylum without acknowledging that it is in breach of historical agreements there for decades.

what way would you conclude this scenario that doesn't involve them entering the USA legally or not ? how would you get them to turn around and pick somewhere else ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

theres a difference between turning off a tap when a glass is full of water and having no water in the glass at all.

Right now the economy is booming and workers are in demand, seems like as good a time as any.
    But of course these migrants are also useful as political pawns to be vilified for votes, even though the usual Trump voter wouldn't be found working the fields or in the meat factories.
    There have always been migrants, legal and illegal and there has always been talk of "getting tough" by successive governments throughout the years, but that is nothing but lipservice.
    With Trump it certainly is just more of the same, he just makes some extra political gains by fear and hatemongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

what way would you conclude this scenario that doesn't involve them entering the USA legally or not ? how would you get them to turn around and pick somewhere else ?

So are you saying you want no legal migration into the US?

So are you saying you want no legal migration into the US?

for skilled employees on work sponsored visas or people who meet other legal straightforward visa requirements and don't claim welfare - yes. For a migrant caravan carrying little to no documentation who probably do not meet visa requirements - no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

No children needed to be tear gassed, it was a warped display of authoritarianism to do so tbh.

batgoat wrote: »
    No children needed to be tear gassed, it was a warped display of authoritarianism to do so tbh.

how would you stop them all entering as explained so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GM cutting their workforce by 14,000 which is unexpected in a boom presumably they make cars not enough want or is it something else that's laying off so many blue collar voters. The share price has jumped. Time to dust off Roger and Me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I genuinely hope that Eric is just a troll who likes to wind up average Joe boards poster as it's infinitely more palatable to think that you just enjoy annoying people who are in a safe economic environment who have readily available access to work, resources, etc... than the idea that you actually believe some of the vile opinions that you post in relation to the most needy elements of society.

Everyone knows that there is some measure of welfare fraud, which of course authorities should try to stamp out & they should punish those guilty of it, but your attitude is screw the 99% who actually need help, it's their own fault they're in that situation & they're all just scroungers who aren't trying hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You open the gates, give them food and water, and ask them to be please patient while you process their application for asylum.

Nice to know that you're in favour of gassing toddlers though.

• Advertisement

Pelvis wrote: »
    You open the gates, give them food and water, and ask them to be please patient while you process their application for asylum.

Nice to know that you're in favour of gassing toddlers though.

yet again this theme of 'misrepresent what I said' , I never said I was in favour of gassing toddlers, what I said was that I didn't see a better and more 'adult only' targeted solution to dispersing the migrants.

"you open the gates and give...." that wasn't on the table, its not there now, find a solution that doesn't involve that and get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

yet again this theme of 'misrepresent what I said' , I never said I was in favour of gassing toddlers, what I said was that I didn't see a better and more 'adult only' targeted solution to dispersing the migrants.

"you open the gates and give...." that wasn't on the table, its not there now, find a solution that doesn't involve that and get back to me.

The US have signed up to numerous conventions on refugees, they are violating them at this point in time. So nope, violent reprimands is not the best solution. It sounds like an Erdoğan style of handling a situation by trying to rally his base. Tear gassing refugees. That's a new low for the US although the new low seems to be reached once a week at this stage.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"If it's a choice between honouring our obligations under the Geneva Conventions, or teargassing children... sorry kids."

It's one thing that that's official US policy now - after all, the commander in chief is a narcissistic sociopath, so sociopathic policy is about what you'd expect. What's truly appalling is that people will cheerlead his sociopathy, and wonder why that bothers normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Another twist in the Mueller saga... Manafort agreement allegedly broken down due to his alleged repeated lying to Muellers team, AFTER agreeing to cooperate...Manafort denies lying.. Both sides to ask Court for immediate sentencing..

Now that the mid-terms are out of the way, might a pardon be back on the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

Generally by allowing them apply for asylum like the US has agreed to do under human rights conventions. It isn't hard. Some will be told they won't be let in and some will be let in. It will lose momentum and no kids need be tear gassed.

Do you feel the US should pull back from previous human rights agreements because they are breaching them if they don't allow people to at least apply for asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This is a fair point. Even if I think it's inhumane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ah you gotta love the liberal media. Sanctimonious hypocrisy abound.

Tear gas and pepper spray has been used many times before in response to rock throwing:

San Ysidro Border Rush Had Been Planned For A Week

Deported migrants attempted a once-common tactic of rushing the border en masse on Sunday. But Border Patrol agents met them with tear gas and rubber bullets and forced them to turn back.

Indeed, many over the years (even during Obama's administration) only wish tear gas was all that had been used on them. In the following case a Mexican teenager was shot and killed for doing so:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Jos%C3%A9_Rodr%C3%ADguez
    Deadly border agent incidents cloaked in silence

In the last four years, rock-throwing incidents accounted for eight of the 24 instances in which agents killed people. The Border Patrol considers rocks deadly weapons that justify lethal force, even though it is rare for agents to be injured in "rockings," as they call them, and even though, as agents' reports showed, several less-lethal long-distance weapons are highly effective against rock-throwers, The Republic found.

Border Patrol Chief Michael Fisher insisted agents will continue to use deadly force against rock throwers, because rocks are potentially deadly weapons.

Eight times since 2010, Border Patrol agents killed people whom they said were throwing rocks at them, including six across the border. But in at least 160 other reported cases, agents resolved cross-border rock-throwing with less-lethal weapons that can fire, for example, balls filled with pepper spray. In those cases, no one died and almost no one was seriously hurt — including the agents.

But sure never mind all that, Donald Trump's gassing kids apparently. Or at least that's the latest stick the left are beating him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Charging the border is no way to apply for asylum. You are supposed to claim asylum in the first country you enter, these people have passed through many countries, Mexico has even offered them asylum but they refuse to accept it.

One thing I have noticed depending on where you get your news the video footage is aired differently. I watched ABC news and they barely gave a few minutes to the story and continually showed the same footage in a loop, mostly of a woman and a couple of kids. After browsing Youtube I found footage from many other news sources which show the majority of those rushing the border were males and were hurling stones. Unfortunatly they had to use gas to control the situation, is it ideal? no but the border must be protected.

There are many Americans who are seperated from their foreign spouses and children while they go through an expensive and very long immigration process. Some of those family members live in very poor and very dangerous countries and they get no special treatment, for some the process takes nearly 2 years.

Allowing this caravan to pass into the US would be a huge mistake, there are many poor countries to the south and Mexico doesn't seem to have the will to stop them coming through. If this is not stopped now the US may as well have open borders because the caravans will become more frequent and larger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

HDMI wrote: »
    Charging the border is no way to apply for asylum. You are supposed to claim asylum in the first country you enter, these people have passed through many countries, Mexico has even offered them asylum but they refuse to accept it.

One thing I have noticed depending on where you get your news the video footage is aired differently. I watched ABC news and they barely gave a few minutes to the story and continually showed the same footage in a loop, mostly of a woman and a couple of kids. After browsing Youtube I found footage from many other news sources which show the majority of those rushing the border were males and were hurling stones. Unfortunatly they had to use gas to control the situation, is it ideal? no but the border must be protected.

There are many Americans who are seperated from their foreign spouses and children while they go through an expensive and very long immigration process. Some of those family members live in very poor and very dangerous countries and they get no special treatment, for some the process takes nearly 2 years.

Allowing this caravan to pass into the US would be a huge mistake, there are many poor countries to the south and Mexico doesn't seem to have the will to stop them coming through. If this is not stopped now the US may as well have open borders because the caravans will become more frequent and larger.
    You are meant to claim asylum in the first country you enter in Europe. That is a very different deal and amounts to claiming asylum in the first 1st world country you get to in Europe. And then you have EU movement regulations allowing easier movement than Mexico to USA.

You mention many suffer under this immigration process to do it right. I am not really sure that is an argument in its favour really. Leaving people's spouses in dangerous countries for up to 2 years is not a glowing review of the American system really. That is not helping your case.

No one here has suggested simply letting the entire caravan in that I have seen. There are much more frequent calls to let them apply for asylum like they should be able to.

Again people ignore the point that the US is obligated to offer these people a legal route to asylum. Until that is addressed, other arguments are largely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

It all distracts very well from America's conspicuous silence on Ukraine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see Donnie throwing his oar into the EU/UK withdrawal agreement too.

So we know a few things;

1. He hasn't and won't read the WA
    2. He hasn't and won't listen to someone else summarise the WA
    3. Any "trade deal" between the UK and US is hot air, it doesn't exist.

So the only rational conclusion here is that someone else has told him to speak negatively about the WA. Probably because no WA means less stability in Europe.

I wonder who could want a less stable Europe....? Perhaps someone who is trying to annex some European countries...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,236 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mueller's team are pulling Manafort's plea deal due to him lying to them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/prosecutors-allege-paul-manafort-lied-to-investigators.html
    "After signing the plea agreement, Manafort committed federal crimes by lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Special Counsel's Office on a variety of subject matters, which constitute breaches of the agreement," prosecutors said in the document, filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

Manafort, meanwhile, "believes believes he has provided truthful information and does not agree with the government's characterization or that he has breached the agreement," according to the filing.

The filing notes that Manafort's alleged breach maintains all of his obligations under the deal, but relieves the special counsel of its own duties – "including its agreement to a reduction in the Sentencing Guidelines for acceptance of responsibility."

The special counsel and Manafort both asked the judge to sentence the former Trump campaign chairman.

The filing did not mention what Manafort is specifically alleged to have lied about. It was also not clear whether Mueller will file new charges against Manafort in light of the allegations.

Interesting that it means Manafort is still obliged to keep working with them, but they are no longer obliged to offer him any deal or reduced sentence, and can proceed with new or further charges. What the important takeaway is however, is that they knew he was lying about certain things. They wouldn't be taking this action if they didn't have other evidence showing he is lying, which means Manafort's testimony is part of the puzzle, but the investigation isn't dependent on what he knows and they can bypass him if needs be.

Either way, really seems like Manafort is done for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

seamus wrote: »

So we know a few things;

So the only rational conclusion here is that someone else has told him to speak negatively about the WA. Probably because no WA means less stability in Europe.

I wonder who could want a less stable Europe....? Perhaps someone who is trying to annex some European countries...

So given everything we know about Trump from his character, his temperament, his level of intelligence, his business acumen (or lack thereof), his narcissism, his misogyny, his racism, his pathological lying, his lack of empathy and compassion; at this stage is it safe to conclude that he is compromised?

Short question, from what we know of him can he be easily manipulated?

Christy42 wrote: »
    You are meant to claim asylum in the first country you enter in Europe. That is a very different deal and amounts to claiming asylum in the first 1st world country you get to in Europe. And then you have EU movement regulations allowing easier movement than Mexico to USA.

You mention many suffer under this immigration process to do it right. I am not really sure that is an argument in its favour really. Leaving people's spouses in dangerous countries for up to 2 years is not a glowing review of the American system really. That is not helping your case.

No one here has suggested simply letting the entire caravan in that I have seen. There are much more frequent calls to let them apply for asylum like they should be able to.

Again people ignore the point that the US is obligated to offer these people a legal route to asylum. Until that is addressed, other arguments are largely pointless.

So then Ireland, the uk and france shouldnt have had to take any of the syrian migrants then ? Since they didnt land there first ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

seamus wrote: »

So we know a few things;

Oh, I don't think we need to dig that deep into it.

I think Trump simply likes to cause trouble and can see that making noises will pile pressure on TM and thus make his job easier. TM played right into his hands with her desperate dash to the WH when he was elected and being so accommodating to him in terms of the Queens visit and staying schtum when his interview came to light.

Trump knows he cannot handle Macron or Merkel, so he wants to make the UK as weak as possible. I don't even think it is about trade deals, just he wants to be the big man in charge.

• Advertisement

So then Ireland, the uk and france shouldnt have had to take any of the syrian migrants then ? Since they didnt land there first ,

And they don't have to. It is an agreement between the EU countries to try (miserably) to spread the 'costs' around a bit as it is unfair for Greece and Italy to suffer the entire burden.

But there is a clear moral need to try to help these people. They are refugees not because they simply choose to go for a bit of an old walk one day. They are fleeing war and famine. War and famine, in large part, helped by the US. But the US refuses to take its responsibility as humans for the damage they cause so it is left to the EU to try to deal with it (and they are not doing a very good job to this point).

What should be done with all those people that lose their homes in the wildfires, or floods? Should they be forced to stay where they are and simply get on with things? Or is this simply because they are foreigners?

But the UK refused to take a fair share.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »
    Mueller's team are pulling Manafort's plea deal due to him lying to them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/26/prosecutors-allege-paul-manafort-lied-to-investigators.html

Interesting that it means Manafort is still obliged to keep working with them, but they are no longer obliged to offer him any deal or reduced sentence, and can proceed with new or further charges. What the important takeaway is however, is that they knew he was lying about certain things. They wouldn't be taking this action if they didn't have other evidence showing he is lying, which means Manafort's testimony is part of the puzzle, but the investigation isn't dependent on what he knows and they can bypass him if needs be.

Either way, really seems like Manafort is done for now.

This article is an interesting take on the latest developments
    Robert Mueller Set Ingenious Trap For Trump In Collusion Case And Tricked Manafort Into Helping, Experts Say
    Because Robert Mueller has accused Paul Manafort of breaking his plea deal by lying to investigators, he will get a chance to air his Donald Trump collusion allegations in public, experts say.

Paul Manafort, Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign chair, lied to federal investigators in the Donald Trump Russia collusion investigation, even after Manafort struck a plea deal with prosecutors agreeing to fully cooperate with them in the case in exchange for a lighter sentence, according to a new court filing that the Inquisitr reported earlier today. But according to some experts on the case, Russia investigation Special Counsel Robert Mueller set an elaborate trap with the plea deal, a trap that has now ensnared Trump himself — and Manafort walked right into it.

Because he expects a pardon from Trump, Manafort felt free to lie to investigators while also acting as a “mole” for Trump, feeding him information about what he falsely told Mueller, according to national security journalist Marcy Wheeler, writing on her Empty Wheel site.

Pure hypothesis of course , but an interesting theory none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There is zero need to stop people from entry into the US through a lawful port.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Oh, I don't think we need to dig that deep into it.

I think Trump simply likes to cause trouble and can see that making noises will pile pressure on TM and thus make his job easier. TM played right into his hands with her desperate dash to the WH when he was elected and being so accommodating to him in terms of the Queens visit and staying schtum when his interview came to light.

Trump knows he cannot handle Macron or Merkel, so he wants to make the UK as weak as possible. I don't even think it is about trade deals, just he wants to be the big man in charge.

I think he's making it so the UK votes down the EU Withdrawal Agreement, forcing the UK out with No Deal, then Trump holds all the cards when it comes to negotiating a deal with the UK. He doesn't care what happens in Europe, he just wants to be able to announce the US signed a great new trade deal with the UK.

Hell, you could even take it further than that and posit that such a trade deal could result in US companies making bigger strides into UK markets including telecom companies, or health insurance companies leading to a privatisation of the NHS and the healthcare system in the UK becoming more like they have in the US. If the UK crash out of the EU with no trade deal, the US will swallow them up.

I don't think Trump cares about the UK-EU relationship, and I don't think he's being encouraged by anyone to help sow discord in that relationship. I think he's just purely focused on the optics of it and what he might be able to announce where he can shout JOBS! into a microphone repeatedly regardless of how true it is (which given the loss of jobs announced yesterday, likely isn't going to be true).

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    This article is an interesting take on the latest developments

Pure hypothesis of course , but an interesting theory none the less.

I did ponder the same, especially given that Trump submitted his responses to Muller's investigation very recently. Too soon to tell yet though.

• Advertisement

And on the 'caravan'. Sure Trump is correct that every country should have a immigration policy, and the means to enforce it.

But, there is no need for him to demonise every person, to criminalise them in the eyes of all Americans and to stoke fear into people. This will spread from just those in the Caravan to all foreigners (there is little doubt that some Americans will confuse naturalised Mexicans with thse people and act accordingly).

Is this caravan a major threat to the US? Of course not. The most powerful country in the world is currently having kittens because a few thousand unarmed south Americans are walking, slowly towards them. So scared that the army needed to be sent to protect America from this threat.

Americans are armed to the teeth yet appear to be the most scared people on the planet

Jesus - when even Geraldo is telling you that you are out of line, does that not cause you to take a breath and get some perspective?

https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/1067193821786767365

Geraldo seems to be slowly realising just what he has signed up to.

It has all fine and dandy having a pop at Obama and calling out the left, but if the price of winning is what Trump has brought then maybe it wasn't worth it. This is not thte first time Geraldo has had a cut off Trump.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

HDMI wrote: »
    You are supposed to claim asylum in the first country you enter...

No matter how often that bare-faced lie is repeated, whether by people who know it's untrue or people who just want to believe it, it's still a bare-faced lie.

It's not true in Europe, and it's not true anywhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We used to have this thread stickied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Trumpton on the Brexit/trade stuff is just parroting a primer from his best English friend - Nigel Farrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Teargassing into another country is illegal and a de facto Act of War.
    Refugees have two options: present themselves at the border for asylum, or enter illegally and and present at the first available port of call. This is why people rush.
    You will also note that Trump has offered detained refugees the return of their children if they agree to voluntarily deport themselves. This is kidnap.

Trump is a coward. He is treating these people like this because he knows they are in a vulnerable situation and he thinks he can get away with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No mention of first country but the ecj have their own rules
    The thread referenced by Baron de Charlus should clear that up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Jesus - when even Geraldo is telling you that you are out of line, does that not cause you to take a breath and get some perspective?

https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/1067193821786767365

Not the first time Geraldo has been outspoken against the immigration policies. He went ballistic on Hannity over the child detentions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement