Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connaughton v Leinster build up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Clegg wrote: »
    I've read Contepomi's comments, I don't think we'll see a near full strength Leinster side. Some players will be given an extra weeks rest from playing and others will be given an extra well to familiarise themselves again with Leinsters systems.

We might see a few of the lads who didn't get as many WC minutes though. It'll be another big chance for the younger players to impress.

They need the extra week to learn how to play open expansive rugby again, unfortunately being brainwashed by Schmidt for the last 4 months they might need some form of hypnotic therapy to bring them back from the dark side

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bookies have Leinster by 5. Unless Leinster have a good few internationals back I think that's pretty generous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Zzippy wrote: »
    Bookies have Leinster by 5. Unless Leinster have a good few internationals back I think that's pretty generous

With Fainga'a, SOB back,
    except one lock (Dillane's there for the other) and one LH (Buckley's there for the other) we're full strenght, 21 players out of 23
    Home
    We're favorite, if not we shouldn't have any hope to win a Champion Cup game

connachta wrote: »
    With Fainga'a, SOB back,
    except one lock (Dillane's there for the other) and one LH (Buckley's there for the other) we're full strenght, 21 players out of 23
    Home
    We're favorite, if not we shouldn't have any hope to win a Champion Cup game

I bet Dave Kearney makes Tiernan cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I bet Dave Kearney makes Tiernan cry.

"Hey Tiernan, remember a few years back when you were going to take my, even more handsome, big brother's place in the real green jersey? How's that going ? "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is Carty playing? can't wait to see another master class in.....................(Connacht fans please fill in the Blank)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is Carty playing? can't wait to see another master class in.....................(Connacht fans please fill in the Blank)

He's available, as is bundee. I’d hope he’s only on the bench though, young Conor Fitz deserves to keep his place after being in fine form. Carty will come on on the last 20 minutes and be the match winner

Wegians89 wrote: »
    He's available, as is bundee. I’d hope he’s only on the bench though, young Conor Fitz deserves to keep his place after being in fine form. Carty will come on on the last 20 minutes and be the match winner

Yeah I seen his ability to close out a game

If you need a refresher look back to Connacht Treviso last season in a must win game for Connacht or wasps, Cardiff at home too or Bordeaux. Late carty scores proved match winners, I’m sure there’s more too.

How many Leinster internationals are expected back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hard to see him ever come close to Leinster-made Joey Carberry's ability to close out games by settling for a losing bonus point.

Hard to see him ever come close to Leinster-made Joey Carberry's ability to close out games by settling for a losing bonus point.

Carbery plays for Munster so not sure what your point is?

Plus Carbery was just cleaning up the mess left from the player who was on previous

How many Leinster internationals are expected back?

Feck all I would say, it’s a Pro 14 match and hardly top priority....even if they lose Leinster will still be top come end of season

Some key battles I can’t wait to see the green come out on top over the blue:

Carty vs Ross Byrne
    Marmion vs Mcgrath
    Conor Fitz vs Harry Byrne
    Blade vs JGP
    Bundee vs henshaw

Feck all I would say, it’s a Pro 14 match and hardly top priority....even if they lose Leinster will still be top come end of season

Ye Took it serious enough last year when ye sent Sexton down to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ye Took it serious enough last year when ye sent Sexton down to Galway.

Sure we were doing ye a favour. Send Sexton down, might get a few people through the turnstiles for once.

Sure we were doing ye a favour. Send Sexton down, might get a few people through the turnstiles for once.

Don't be ridiculous FF. They don't have turnstiles in Galway yet.

Don't be ridiculous FF. They don't have turnstiles in Galway yet.

Sure what's wrong with using John Michael Fahy's cattle crush? Feckin' jackeens wit yer high falutin' turnstiles just for people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Advertisement

Leinster not 100% full-strenght but Connacht neither.
    Without Roux/Thorbury/McAlister, it will be difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've always disliked the scrolling team announcements.

Anyway here's the team in list form. Henshaw and Tomane is not a centre pairing we've seen much of. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I'm also surprised that Doris isn't in the squad somewhere, but Ruddock also needs some minutes too. It's all a balancing act for the first European game next week

15. Hugo Keenan (9)
    14. Adam Byrne (54)
    13. Robbie Henshaw (37)
    12. Joe Tomane (17)
    11. James Lowe (33)
    10. Ross Byrne (75)
    9. Luke McGrath (113)
    1. Cian Healy (208)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (6)
    3. Andrew Porter (53)
    4. Devin Toner (235)
    5. Scott Fardy (47) CAPTAIN
    6. Josh Murphy (25)
    7. Will Connors (8)
    8. Max Deegan (51)

16. James Tracy (97)
    17. Ed Byrne (45)
    18. Michael Bent (129)
    19. Ross Molony (87)
    20. Rhys Ruddock (161)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (75)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (15)
    23. Rob Kearney (210)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've always disliked the scrolling team announcements.

Anyway here's the team in list form. Henshaw and Tomane is not a centre pairing we've seen much of. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I'm also surprised that Doris isn't in the squad somewhere, but Ruddock also needs some minutes too.

Doris, Penny, Porridge, Murphy and Deegan are locked in some battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Am I right in saying this is Henshaws first time playing against Connacht since he went to Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

According to his Leinster profile yes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's an extremely strong Leinster front 5. Think we have the beating of Connacht there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Interesting that Kelleher is starting at hooker again in a fairly strong side. Think he's going to move up the order very quickly, looks like an excellent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

I don't remember Connacht ever having a bench this good!

Worriness :

- Macksymiw having conceeded 3 pens on his own last week, has to keep his discipline
    - Farrell defence out Henshaw/Tomane
    - Healy and Porsh would have had my preference over S.Fitzgerald, but it's 51/49 indeed
    - no Dillane, but Fardy

Confidance :

- Farrell attacking game vs Henshaw/Tomane, not used to defend in those positions
    - Burke has to handle Bent and not Furlong, he should
    - Boyle wanting to impress as an ex-Leinsterman
    - Our bench is stronger (Carty+Aki+Godwin will cause havoc against tired legs)
    - Leader big boot, useful in these games!

Decisive 50/50

- Gallagher/SOB will do the job in 2nd row IMO, even if it's optimism
    - Fainga'a to counter Ruddock impact from the bench
    - Buckley vs Porter, hell of a massive fight to gain/neutralize scrums
    - Adeolakun vs A.Byrne, who's the fastest, who's the closest to Irish squad for 6 nations

• Advertisement

It's an extremely strong Leinster front 5. Think we have the beating of Connacht there.

Yeah we're struggling with injury at second row so ye should have set piece dominance, fancy our backrow to get on top of Leinster's though. Surprised to see Healy back, he played a fair bit in Japan.

Advertisement