Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I'm curious, have you guys who are so opposed to the plan ever visited or stayed in Ballinamore?
    Woodsie?
    Jay0,?
    Cinema guy?

I had grub last Sunday in some spot there on the main st. Cant remember the name but they sponsor the local team.
    Dunno how it has any relevance but there you go.
    Heres a link to a petition people from carrickmacross set up which has been blessed with a direct provision centre. Read some of the comments.
    https://www.change.org/p/councilors-is-carrickmacross-becoming-a-lawless-town

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've just deleted 35 posts that were off-topic/attacking the poster/trolling/back-seat modding (or responding to that type of post)

One user will not be around this forum for a couple of weeks due to their overall record here and their posts in this thread overnight. A couple more have picked up other sanctions

If you cannot post/debate in a constructive manner may I suggest you stay away from threads like this as you may find yourselves subject to further mod action

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,646 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

enricoh wrote: »
    I had grub last Sunday in some spot there on the main st. Cant remember the name but they sponsor the local team.
    Dunno how it has any relevance but there you go.
    Heres a link to a petition people from carrickmacross set up which has been blessed with a direct provision centre. Read some of the comments.
    https://www.change.org/p/councilors-is-carrickmacross-becoming-a-lawless-town

I don't see any comments.

But a "lawless" town. How and why is it lawless?

Who started the petition?

What is wrong with the people in catrickmacross?
    Why exactly do they feel intimidated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Boggles wrote: »
    Is there an empty 20 apartment block of 3 of 4 bedrooms in greater Dublin ready to house them?

No but everybody in Dublin seems to be awful concerned about refugees but quick to want to house them anywhere bar Dublin !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

LuasSimon wrote: »
    No but everybody in Dublin seems to be awful concerned about refugees but quick to want to house them anywhere bar Dublin !

I'm from Dublin and wouldn't have a problem with refugees in my area. We already have people from all over there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Diceicle wrote: »
    Bless your innocence.
    Yes, their application is refused as is their second one, and third all the way up the court system. Then their kids application is refused and so on.
    Eventually, when a full determination on their case is made, and the solicitors have banked a load of cash, and the FG/FF insiders running the DP centre has made some money, the Dept of Justice will issue a notice of removal. Less than 20% of those removals are enacted. We don't know who simply choose to ignore it and stay.

There’s no asylum seekers staying here post deportation order. They’ve no means of income, no accommodation, they’re known to the authorities, have no work permit, and in competition with a rake of legit and semi-legit immigrant workers for any work. They leave the country - primarily without any need for the enforcement of the deportation order.

Plenty of refugees living in Dublin. But the Government (primarily decision-makers from outside Dublin) policy is to spread the numbers nationally - partially for accommodation cost reasons, partially to discourage casual claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

It’s a bit like travellers , Fine Gael love travellers and refugees but don’t want them in their heartlands of South Dublin
    Classic do as I speak not as I Do out of Fine Gael the Dublin party .

You just admitted they is no suitable accommodation for these asylum seekers in Greater Dublin.

What is exactly confusing you?

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Plenty of refugees living in Dublin. But the Government (primarily decision-makers from outside Dublin) policy is to spread the numbers nationally - partially for accommodation cost reasons, partially to discourage casual claims.

Leo Varadkar , pascal Donohoe , Simon Harris all of the top hitters in Fine Gael based in Dublin who have zero time for rural Ireland .

hurler32 wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar , pascal Donohoe , Simon Harris all of the top hitters in Fine Gael based in Dublin who have zero time for rural Ireland .

Harris lives in Wicklow.

Charlie Flanagan is the minister with responsibility for direct provision.

That's why half a billion euros was announced to be spent on motorways in the middle of nowhere that no one really needs during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

That's why half a billion euros was announced to be spent on motorways in the middle of nowhere that no one really needs during the week.

They do have an interest in rural votes!

jay0109 wrote: »
    They do have an interest in rural votes!

5 billion broadband plan. Massive subsidies for farmers. How exactly are rural Ireland ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Not at all.

Local Housing authorities routinely allow homeless people switch and there may also be swaps because of various reasons.

Now you may have a bit of trouble if the local authority is absolutely overwhelmed, then they might enforce the rules regarding links in the area.

But homelessness would be eradicated within 12 months if the numbers could be dispersed throughout the island.

Obviously that will never happen.
    atticu wrote: »
    First, why will it never happen?

And do you have any proof that homelessness can be eradicated?

Any chance you can answer these questions?

Or are we just supposed to believe you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

5 billion broadband plan. Massive subsidies for farmers. How exactly are rural Ireland ignored?

Never said they were

Any chance you can answer these questions?

Or are we just supposed to believe you?

What is exactly confusing about the post?

It's pretty clear TBH.

Harris lives in Wicklow.

Which is as good as Dublin where he’s based in top of north Wicklow , their not sure are they South Dublin or West brits up that end of Wicklow .

• Advertisement

What is exactly confusing about the post?

It's pretty clear TBH.

It is not clear at all.

If you don’t want to answer the questions, just be honest and admit that you can’t back up or explain your opinions.

I will leave you to it.

I don't see any comments.

But a "lawless" town. How and why is it lawless?

Who started the petition?

That petition has been replaced by a new one, objecting to another! direct provision centre opening up in carrickmacross , this time the old oasis. Jesus wept.
    A female teacher in the town started it

The broadband is for the whole country and your are right it’s madness but some Fine Gael related types are probably making a packet out of it .
    Re farming , most average farmers get basically dole type amounts to keep going . The Super dairy oligarch types who are Fine Gael to be fair get immoral payments but they are no more than half a dozen farmers in any parish .
    The big issue in rural Ireland which Fine Gael ignores is no jobs been created , crap public transport , closure of banks etc and the big one no garda stations allowing traveller gangs to rob and terrorize rural Ireland . All that’s heard on RTÉ is Dublin , Dublin , luas , Dart , Dublin Dublin .
    Fine Gael might clean up in elections in Dublin but will do poorly in Rural Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Many of rural irelands problems with service closure and crap public transport are entirely of its own making, build a one off two miles from town....then complain about crap public transport. But thats probably off topic for this thread.

It is not clear at all.

If you don’t want to answer the questions, just be honest and admit that you can’t back up or explain your opinions.

I will leave you to it.

You mean it is not clear to you.

Very simple, there is plenty homes in Ireland that are vacant.

20 3-4 bedroom apartments in a block in Leitrim for instance.

This is replicated all over the island.

Vastly more than enough to accommodate multiples of the amount homeless.

Obviously when I say homeless, I don't mean people with chronic substance abuse problems, etc.

You asked why it won't be done, the main reason being the majority of people on housing lists in Dublin will not move to Donegal, Leitrim or Kerry, nor should they be expected to.

Any clearer?

That petition has been replaced by a new one, objecting to another! direct provision centre opening up in carrickmacross , this time the old oasis. Jesus wept.
    A female teacher in the town started it

I didn't ask you about the new one.

I asked you about the one you linked to.

How is the town "lawless".

That is a absolute huge claim and the least you can do if you are promoting the petition is to offer some sort of evidence of the claim.

Also if you could answer who started it?

I didn't ask you about the new one.

I asked you about the one you linked to.

How is the town "lawless".

That is a absolute huge claim and the least you can do if you are promoting the petition is to offer some sort of evidence of the claim.

Also if you could answer who started it?

Ha, i didnt know there was a new one.
    There was comments, they must have a time limit i dunno
    Residents in carrickmacross especially women are sick of scum from a dp centre hanging around the streets intimidating them, so the set up a petition to try get action from councillors, gardai etc.
    What happens- they are to get another dp centre! Not to replace the one they have but a brand spanking new one. Lovely!

Ha, i didnt know there was a new one.
    There was comments, they must have a time limit i dunno
    Residents in carrickmacross especially women are sick of scum from a dp centre hanging around the streets intimidating them, so the set up a petition to try get action from councillors, gardai etc.
    What happens- they are to get another dp centre! Not to replace the one they have but a brand spanking new one. Lovely!

Does it not say specifically who set up the petition?

Also hearsay and loose talk is great and all. But have you any actual tangible evidence that suggests the town is now "lawless"?

It's a pretty serious claim TBF. If people are going to put their name to such a thing then surely they wouldn't without evidence.

I assume you can sign the petition anonymously?

You mean it is not clear to you.

Very simple, there is plenty homes in Ireland that are vacant.

20 3-4 bedroom apartments in a block in Leitrim for instance.

This is replicated all over the island.

Vastly more than enough to accommodate multiples of the amount homeless.

Obviously when I say homeless, I don't mean people with chronic substance abuse problems, etc.

You asked why it won't be done, the main reason being the majority of people on housing lists in Dublin will not move to Donegal, Leitrim or Kerry, nor should they be expected to.

Any clearer?

That is a absolute huge claim and the least you can do if you are promoting this, is to offer some sort of evidence of your claim.

Also hearsay and loose talk is great and all. But have you any actual tangible evidence that suggests that what you claim is true, I would love a link to it.

Have you informed the government and the homeless charities about your ‘solution to homelessness’?

• Advertisement

That is a absolute huge claim and the least you can do if you are promoting this, is to offer some sort of evidence of your claim.

https://statbank.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=EP009&PLanguage=0

Knock yourself out.
    Have you informed the government and the homeless charities about your ‘solution to homelessness’?

They all ready know.

https://pmvtrust.ie/housing/empty-homes/

Your welcome.

Advertisement