Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBook deals!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

I must admit I haven't re-set my Amazon settings, and I'm not sure if Brexit means this thread is affected...

But David Gemmell's Legend is 99p today.

I'm conscious that likely a great many people who were born in the 80s and 90s in this thread will already be very familliar with this book. Gemmell was a huge flag-bearer for 'swords and sorcery' type heroic fantasy, particularly in the 90s, and an incredibly prolific writer before his death. He regularly turned out a book a year. They certainly could be formulaic, but I would prefer to think of him more as a highly successful pulp novelist. The Lee Child of heroic fantasy, if you will.

Legend is a remarkable first fantasy novel for its sheer competence and achievement, made all the more unusual for the back story that Gemmell was fighting cancer when he wrote it. He said later that his plan was that if he got a terminal diagnosis then the fortress under siege, which is the stage for the book, would fall to besieging hordes ... But if he was to live, then the fortress would stand.

Although Druss the Legend, a formerly retired axe man with arthritis and a bad knee, is the central character ... Capable of incredible death-dealing despite his advanced age ... I always felt that it was the cast of supporting characters that pulled me in. Orrin, the fat garrison commander with something to prove.... Rek, the fop and coward who is hiding a rather blood-thirsty alter-ego...

In the noughties and afterwards the trend in fantasy was for rather urbane and ironic 'grimdark' that looked askance at novels like Legend. Drenched in blood, nihilistic and in some cases very worthwhile ... But honestly I think the sincerity and good old fashioned heroism of David Gemmell novel are timeless.

Add Audible for 2.99, yes please. Have actually never read this for some reason..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And that's me sold on buying 'Legend' too.

There's actually quite a few decent deals on at the moment on Amazon, such as:

* 'Piranesi' by Susannah Clark for £1.49

* 'Salvation' by Peter F. Hamilton for £0.99

* 'Skyward' by Brandon Sanderson for £0.99

* 'The Shadow of What Was Lost' by James Islington for £0.88

* 'Revelation Space' by Alastair Reynolds for £0.99

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have James Islington's first book of his fantasy series on Kindle for a while... Looking forward to getting around to it eventually, it looks like your standard Wheel of Time style fantasy fare but maybe executed to a bit of a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Hyperion is 99p on Amazon today. It's worth the purchase for sure if you don't have it already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Fantastic book, Hyperion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Really I don't think it gets much better than Hyperion

'Bear Head', the sequel to 'Dogs of War' by Adrian Tchaikovsky, is Amazon's Deal of the Day for £0.99

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ixoy wrote: »
    'Bear Head', the sequel to 'Dogs of War' by Adrian Tchaikovsky, is Amazon's Deal of the Day for £0.99

Absolutely loved Dogs of War, didn't realise this was even out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

• Advertisement

Abercrombies latest - The Trouble with Peace. 99p, it would be rude not too.:D
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084D12JQT/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Has anyone ever spent more than a euro or 2 on an Abercrombie or Tchaikovsky book?? :pac:

Glebee wrote: »
    Abercrombies latest - The Trouble with Peace. 99p, it would be rude not too.:D
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084D12JQT/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0
    Hah, that was pretty quick. I've got Book 1 unread but also bought in a deal!
    FWIW, Abercrombie's Twitter feed was great fun when he was posting 2-star reviews of his book.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Has anyone ever spent more than a euro or 2 on an Abercrombie or Tchaikovsky book?? :pac:
    Abercrombie - nope, not in a while!
    Tchaikovsky - yep, I've pre-ordered despite knowing I'd only have to wait a few weeks :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Paid full whack the Tchaikovsky stuff that I've read and found them great value. Highly entertaining and engaging author IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

2 Kindle Daily Deals 99p:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can't vouch for these books but Bernard Cornwell Last Kingdom series looks a good deal if they are any good 99cent each

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Daily-Deals/b?node=5400977031

Anyone read any of his stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭wijam

Can't vouch for these books but Bernard Cornwell Last Kingdom series looks a good deal if they are any good 99cent each

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Daily-Deals/b?node=5400977031

Anyone read any of his stuff?

I've read his Napoleonic series, Sharpe, over 20 books, really enjoyed them, must actually look at these as have watched a bit of the Last Kingdom TV series

wijam wrote: »
    I've read his Napoleonic series, Sharpe, over 20 books, really enjoyed them, must actually look at these as have watched a bit of the Last Kingdom TV series

Hmmm didn't know he wrote Sharp. I haven't read them myself but I know my brother loves them. Worth a go for that money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Hatred-Book-One-Madness-ebook/dp/B07N6B1JQ3/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&qid=1617628439&rnid=3017941031&s=digital-text&sr=1-6

lol, thought of this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

• Advertisement

All of Will Wights's Cradle series, including the latest, are free today on Amazon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All of Will Wights's Cradle series, including the latest, are free today on Amazon.
    Something odd going on with it; I could buy book 1 - 4, 7 & 8 but book 5 & 6 it claims I'm in the wrong country (all bought from Amazon.com).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Worked fine for me on co.uk seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Worked fine for me too both on the .com and .co.uk accounts

I've found Amazon has gone a bit wonky lately. One day it wouldn't allow me to add a card to my account and now sorting on lists is haywire. It won't sort properly (even in a different browser)

Thanks for the heads-up. I know they are free, but are they worth a read?

Thanks for the heads-up. I know they are free, but are they worth a read?
    I'm up to Book 4 and yes, they are. They're fast paced progress based books - i.e. the character keeps learning to become more and more skilled to achieve a specific goal. The magic system, with Chinese influences (it's a sub genre called Wuxiu) is interesting and the author gradually reveals more and more about the world over the series. Each book is quite short so you'll read through it quickly.

I'm up to Book 4 and yes, they are. They're fast paced progress based books - i.e. the character keeps learning to become more and more skilled to achieve a specific goal. The magic system, with Chinese influences (it's a sub genre called Wuxiu) is interesting and the author gradually reveals more and more about the world over the series. Each book is quite short so you'll read through it quickly.

Thanks for that! I'm a super-slow reader, so was just curious if a 9 book series would be worth the many months it would take me to read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

They're a very quick read too.

Thanks for the tip, ixoy, I managed to get book 9 for free (had bought the previous).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Raymond E Feist's Queen of Storms is one of today's deals (€1.15)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JR89LST

Sequel (and part two of the series) of King of Ahses - free with Prime Reading (and I enjoyed - it's good Feist with a hint of Gemmell):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Ashes-Firemane-Saga-Book-ebook/dp/B00C0U6VRE

• Advertisement

Advertisement