Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBook deals!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was just thinking fondly of the Malazon books the other day.

I recommend them in conjunction with the Tor website re-read notes, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Children of Time: Winner of the 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award (The Children of Time Novels) by [Adrian Tchaikovsky]
    Is on the kindle daily deals today for 99 pence.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Harika wrote: »
    Children of Time: Winner of the 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award (The Children of Time Novels) by [Adrian Tchaikovsky]
    Is on the kindle daily deals today for 99 pence.

Read that a few weeks ago, it's brilliant. I'm about halfway through the sequel now, Children of Ruin.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Read that a few weeks ago, it's brilliant. I'm about halfway through the sequel now, Children of Ruin.

How's the sequel?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keane2097 wrote: »
    How's the sequel?

Liking it a lot though probably not quite as much as the first one. Some of the stuff in this one is a bit more out there/less believable than the first book, not that the first book was all that believable but it felt a bit more grounded than the sequel.

Would still say it's a must read if you liked the first one a lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How's the sequel?
    I enjoyed it but maybe the evolution of the species wasn't as good as the spiders.

He's writing a third one now based around a Corvid species - Crows in space maybe!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How's the sequel?

For me it didn't capture my imagination the way the first one did. I struggled through it and was happy to be finished it.
    That said if there is a third one I will probably read it.

I find the author very hit and miss. The spiders was his best book but others (like the intelligent dogs one) have been a struggle.
    I have read 5 or 6 of his books now and I would say 2 good, 2 bad and 2 soso

Ah I loved Dogs of War :o Children of Time was way better though.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah I loved Dogs of War :o Children of Time was way better though.
    Me too - he was never a bad dog!
    There's a sequel to that too, out early next year. The guy is insanely prolific (three books out in the first few months of 2021).

Dogs of War and the two Children of.. books are the only one's of his I've read so far, I think he has some fantasy stuff too. I love the way he writes animals.

Wasn't aware there was a sequel coming to Dogs of War, will definitely be picking that up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cage of Souls is a decent read. I have also read Empire of Blood and Gold which I wasn't overly enthusiastic about but it was a long time ago so might read it again and see if my opinion has changed.
    Definitely a talented author but I'm not entirely convinced yet

edit I just got Spiderlight for $2.96 on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I struggled to get through Children of Ruin, having really liked the first one.

I loved Cage of Souls though.

Started Reamde a few nights ago and it's taking an age to go anywhere.

At least in Seveneves the moon blew up in the first chapter! (Not a spoiler, btw!)

Dades wrote: »
    Started Reamde a few nights ago and it's taking an age to go anywhere.
    My least favourite Neal Stephenson novel. Didn't really like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Exhalation Kindle Edition
    by Ted Chiang (Author)
    For 99 cents at Amazon. Seems they follow me what I bought recently as paperback

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

"The Golem and the Djinni" by Helene Wecker is 99p on Amazon again. It's been one of my favourite "Amazon sale" purchases to date so I'd recommend it.

The full "Old Kingdom" series by Garth Nix is on sale at the moment for 99p a book. It's well worth a read though the first three are much stronger than Clariel and Goldenhand.

First four here.

Goldenhand here

"To Hold the Bridge" short story collection here.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    edit I just got Spiderlight for $2.96 on amazon.

This was a bit of a miss by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KA101LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Half a War (Shattered Sea, Book 3)

Thats the 3 books got for my kindle for 99p each.

99p for The Princess Bride today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

darn, I already have it on Kindle, great book AND a great film!
    If you have not yet read it, this is a great bargain!

banjobongo wrote: »
    darn, I already have it on Kindle, great book AND a great film!
    If you have not yet read it, this is a great bargain!

It is listed as young adult. Is it worth a read?

Haven't seen the movie

Definitely. If you haven't read it before, you're in for a treat.

It's a renowned genre classic written by the guy who wrote a good dozen of the best film screenplays of the last century as well as a lot of excellent novels.

I'd call it suitable for a young adult to read, but it's certainly not young adult fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Whole heartedly agree. Excellent book and film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Haven't seen the movie
    I'm sorry, I had to :o

giphy.gif

NEVER GO IN AGAINST A SICILIAN WHEN DEATH IS ON THE LINE!

I think the Cliffs of Insanity bit was filmed at Cliffs of Moher? The book is very charming too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I must admit I haven't re-set my Amazon settings, and I'm not sure if Brexit means this thread is affected...

But David Gemmell's Legend is 99p today.

I'm conscious that likely a great many people who were born in the 80s and 90s in this thread will already be very familliar with this book. Gemmell was a huge flag-bearer for 'swords and sorcery' type heroic fantasy, particularly in the 90s, and an incredibly prolific writer before his death. He regularly turned out a book a year. They certainly could be formulaic, but I would prefer to think of him more as a highly successful pulp novelist. The Lee Child of heroic fantasy, if you will.

Legend is a remarkable first fantasy novel for its sheer competence and achievement, made all the more unusual for the back story that Gemmell was fighting cancer when he wrote it. He said later that his plan was that if he got a terminal diagnosis then the fortress under siege, which is the stage for the book, would fall to besieging hordes ... But if he was to live, then the fortress would stand.

Although Druss the Legend, a formerly retired axe man with arthritis and a bad knee, is the central character ... Capable of incredible death-dealing despite his advanced age ... I always felt that it was the cast of supporting characters that pulled me in. Orrin, the fat garrison commander with something to prove.... Rek, the fop and coward who is hiding a rather blood-thirsty alter-ego...

In the noughties and afterwards the trend in fantasy was for rather urbane and ironic 'grimdark' that looked askance at novels like Legend. Drenched in blood, nihilistic and in some cases very worthwhile ... But honestly I think the sincerity and good old fashioned heroism of David Gemmell novel are timeless.

Advertisement