Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

You had a busker outside your window on a non pedestrianised street? So he blocked the footpath? Which street was it out of interest as i can't say I've ever seen a busker on a non pedestrianised street in town. Strange it's only ever happened to you. And you couldn't resist the bike phobia story.

I've seen buskers on Middle Street on a few occasions. Usually outside or near the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Mrs OBumble what do you enjoy about living in the city centre?

Genuine question. It sound like you'd prefer living slightly outside of town along a bus route to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That's Buttermilk Lane/Walk, pedestrianised too.

Really heart-warming seeing the number of bikes doing the morning school run in Knocknacarra this week. Next to the schools is still carnage with cars but nice flow of bikes (parents and kids) on the approaching roads.

Wonder how much is this boosted from the number of adults that got back on bikes during lockdown. The lack of bus services probably helped too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

LostDuck wrote: »
    Really heart-warming seeing the number of bikes doing the morning school run in Knocknacarra this week. Next to the schools is still carnage with cars but nice flow of bikes (parents and kids) on the approaching roads.

Wonder how much is this boosted from the number of adults that got back on bikes during lockdown. The lack of bus services probably helped too!

Some day we'll look back with disbelief that people and children fought for road space alongside flying metal boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Local news stated that one CityDirect route is returning on Monday
    Eyre Square - Cappagh Road

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mrs OBumble what do you enjoy about living in the city centre?

Genuine question. It sound like you'd prefer living slightly outside of town along a bus route to work?

Heaps!

A biggie: it means I don't need to own a car: mostly I can use public transport, or if I need a car the rents options are easy to get to. Walking distance of the rail/bus stations means that trips away are viable on public transport too. (If I got back from Dublin on a bus that arrived at 2am, and had to get a taxi to the suburbs, it would add a lot of cost / time / hassle to the trip.)

Central location also means I can easily take work contracts in different estates. Vs some suburb / job combos are difficult, eg if you're in Renmore, then Ballybrit is a PITA to get to.

Pre-covid, we could decide to go for a last pint at 10:55pm - and be in the pub by 11pm. With zero transport cost, or drink-driving worries.

Mid-afternoon good coffee or weekend brunch? I can't even count the cafes within walking distance.

Shops - all within easy reach. Need a pint of milk at 6:45pm: if I go right now and I can get it from Dunnes. Missed Dunnes, there are a few corner stores around, one open til 10:45pm even now.

No lawns to mow. No neighbours lawn mowers to listen to. No fences or trees to fight about.

No door-knocks from campaigning politicians, Mormons, trick-or-treaters, Phonewatch sales peeps, etc. (The electoral register and census people find us - the rest don't have the imagination to know people live here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Soooooooo, you want the convenience of city centre living.
    But without the inconvenience of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Spot on. Basically, a bit asocial attitude and somewhat delusional. Sorry Mrs, no offence intended :)

City Centre living means convenience but also potential inconvenience from crowds/people. You cannot expect no people around while living in the city centre - anywhere in the world.

That's Buttermilk Lane/Walk, pedestrianised too.

Flood St, the whole of Cross St and Middle St should be pedestrian only - with the exception of supply vehicles and some scheme for residents. No through traffic otherwise. The fact it isn't is laughable if you ask me.

Closing only the part of Cross St wasn't enough, that was long overdue and the situation at the crossroad of High St and Cross St was ridiculous for a city that markets itself as a fancy, tourist, fun place.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Spot on. Basically, a bit asocial attitude and somewhat delusional. Sorry Mrs, no offence intended :)

City Centre living means convenience but also potential inconvenience from crowds/people. You cannot expect no people around while living in the city centre - anywhere in the world.

Its funny watching you make these statement to MOB while being guilty of exactly the same thinking yourself's with the close streets to cars, no cars into the city centre, get rid of parking etc etc.

You want the convenience of the city but without the inconvenience of people who want/need to travel into the city to go about their business and using cars is the way many want or need to make these trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Its funny watching you make these statement to MOB while being guilty of exactly the same thinking yourself's with the close streets to cars, no cars into the city centre, get rid of parking etc etc.

You want the convenience of the city but without the inconvenience of people who want/need to travel into the city to go about their business and using cars is the way many want or need to make these trips.

It's not the inconvenience of the people going about their business that they're getting at, it's the inconvenience to everyone that their convenience causes.

Mrs O wants that trappings of suburban living in an Irish Town Centre and basically wants the centre to revolve around residents only.

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's not the inconvenience of the people going about their business that they're getting at, it's the inconvenience to everyone that their convenience causes.

Mrs O wants that trappings of suburban living in an Irish Town Centre and basically wants the centre to revolve around residents only.

I dont agree with Mrs O either, if you live in the city you have conveniences like she described but you have to put up with noise (from multiple sources), crowds, traffic, cars, bikes, small apartments/houses, reduced privacy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I dont agree with Mrs O either, if you live in the city you have conveniences like she described but you have to put up with noise (from multiple sources), crowds, traffic, cars, bikes, small apartments/houses, reduced privacy etc.

Yes No. But bringing people into the city doesn't mean they have to be in cars. ParknRide would work wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

I blame Athy, Blake, Bodkin, Browne, D'Arcy, Deane, Font, Ffrench, Joyce, Kirwan, Lynch, Martin, Morris and Skerritt. They should have made the city streets wider.

I never mentioned closing parking places. They can use cars, but not in the city centre. Park outside the city centre and then walk, cycle, use public transport. This is what happens in Europe and nobody questions it.

I think you are stuck in small-townist mindset or some sort of insularism.
    This is a city and not the Irish countryside or some sort of a little town in the middle of nowhere. And this is Europe with limited land available not America with spaces available for massive roads and jeeps driving everywhere.

I was born in, lived in, worked in and visited multiple cities where they could organise their public spaces properly. Huge number of cars don't belong to modern European city centres, if so then only in a very limited and controlled way at most.

https://twitter.com/cycle_bus/status/1301822093194133504

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

McGiver wrote: »
    As I said - the council are idiots.

They have only 5 shots (a systemic issue on its own) - and they shoot them at wrong places and in a wrong way...

They didn't upgrade the most important ones and they selected a wrong design.

We enthusiasts would make a better assessment and decision, and we're not rocket (bus) scientists. Even if they let people vote for the location and design of the bus shelters it would generate a better outcome.

I really don't know what to do with this council lot. I think I will send a letter to the council at least. It would be good if multiple people did the same.

Where are the new shelters? I'll have a look and take a picture which I'll send to the council along with the letter/email.

The location of the new bus shelters was influenced mainly by the commercial needs of the company that is paying for them, the advertising firm JCDecaux. Locations are chosen not to accommodate the needs of bus users but more for their potential advertising exposure. Any benefit those bus shelters provide for commuters is entirely coincidental : D

It is the NTA who decide where to locate bus stops and where to erect shelters on advice from the local authority.
    Who funds the shelters, maintains them and gets advertising contracts..dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
    It is the NTA who decide where to locate bus stops and where to erect shelters on advice from the local authority.

Am pretty certain that JCDecaux pays for the shelters and maintains them in lieu for the advertising that it offers. So for Council its really only the capital costs of preparing the groundwork for the shelter, dont believe they have any influence on the locations though as "ThePentagon" outlines. Presume though they are keen on the busier bus routes.

• Advertisement

Couldn't listen to any more of that clown that the snippet I head on the radio this morning. Surprised he stayed awake.

He has pi**ed off enough people anyway with his anti bypass nonsense going by the reaction.

Couldn't listen to any more of that clown that the snippet I head on the radio this morning. Surprised he stayed awake.

He has pi**ed off enough people anyway with his anti bypass nonsense going by the reaction.

What bypass is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What bypass is this?

The proposed bypass of the bypass. The one that will end all bypasses, until that's proposed to be bypassed - see outer Dublin ring road proposal.

What bypass is this?
    Highway_to_Heaven_title_screen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »

Street furniture, including shelters, is council responsibility.

The location of the new bus shelters was influenced mainly by the commercial needs of the company that is paying for them, the advertising firm JCDecaux. Locations are chosen not to accommodate the needs of bus users but more for their potential advertising exposure. Any benefit those bus shelters provide for commuters is entirely coincidental : D
    So corruption/nepotism on top...excellent :cool:

The man talks sense, get some solutions moving now that don't need to wait 10, 20, 30 years for this silver bullet wonder road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

The man talks sense, get some solutions moving now that don't need to wait 10, 20, 30 years for this silver bullet wonder road.

I can't see why anyone living in Galway would argue against investment in rail.
    Specifically upgrading the lines at Claregalway, Athenry, Gort.
    2-way fast rail serving the city with parknrides to the satellite towns.
    Additionally, two light rail (GLUAS) lines serving the inter-city commuters from various city centre commuter hubs.
    Priority give to buses walking and cycling.
    Reduced access investivising people to leave the car at home.

This type of approach works.
    It's best practice internationally.
    It's a no-brainer.

We are blessed with truly regressive people in positions of leadership locally who seem to disagree with the above.
    I'm not sure why. As a nation we have got the basics in population planning badly wrong in the last 40 years.

The bypass is simply a continuation down a roads-based solution to traffic which doesn't work.

The only hope for the city is E Ryan stays in power for 5+ years and manages to push solutions past the local opposition.

• Advertisement

We are blessed with truly regressive people in positions of leadership locally who seem to disagree with the above. I'm not sure why. As a nation we have got the basics in population planning badly wrong in the last 40 years.
    That and the electorate is largely regressive too unfortunately... Both issues are linked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement