Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

kerry4sam wrote: »
    It was where McSorleys bar/nightclub is located today on college street

I remember going to a nite club there;) but I thought it was Kielys that owned it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

newman10 wrote: »
    I remember going to a nite club there;) but I thought it was Kielys that owned it

Well I just found out that Seamus Kiely owned it after Horans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Hey Stanley! I just made a call there for you about Horans in Killarney ... It was where McSorleys bar/nightclub is located today on college street

ok, thanks for that, I thought the old memory had gone altogether.

stanley1 wrote: »
    ok, thanks for that, I thought the old memory had gone altogether.

no probs, It was all new to me. I actually enjoyed hearing about some of the antics in the place ... any that you would like to share :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

I worked in Killarney in the 60's, stayed with a family called Flaherty, I remember Rory the son he played drums, great town in the summer, is Horans still going?

Just doing a bit of surfing and lo and behold found this, anyone know what happened to this threesome.

http://irishshowbands.net/bgweight.htm

• Advertisement

no probs, It was all new to me. I actually enjoyed hearing about some of the antics in the place ... any that you would like to share :D

Cant remember too many antics but the smell of hash and the chicken curry are embedded in my brain :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just doing a bit of surfing and lo and behold found this, anyone know what happened to this threesome.

http://irishshowbands.net/bgweight.htm

I think Rory O'Flaherty is still involved in playing music. I also think his son, also called Rory, is also involved in playing music and has been in a couple of bands.

There is a Mike Neeson who lives in Woodlawn who looks the spit of the Mike in the photo (except plus a couple of years;) ). I never knew anything about him being involved in music but it would have been a bit before my time.

Don't know anything about the John Lynch in the photo.

Will talk with my people and see what I can dig up.

Did the "Head Shop" open. I am in need of lift of spirits

I heard something about one being opened up the lane by the Dunloe Lodge, just off the Glebe carpark...you hear anything about that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

BZP was banned yesterday..so most of his stuff is unsaleable now!!

Only herbal weed left!!

• Advertisement

I heard something about one being opened up the lane by the Dunloe Lodge, just off the Glebe carpark...you hear anything about that one?

No but there is an "Adult Store" next to Gerry the butcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

I think Rory O'Flaherty is still involved in playing music. I also think his son, also called Rory, is also involved in playing music and has been in a couple of bands.

There is a Mike Neeson who lives in Woodlawn who looks the spit of the Mike in the photo (except plus a couple of years;) ). I never knew anything about him being involved in music but it would have been a bit before my time.

Don't know anything about the John Lynch in the photo.

Will talk with my people and see what I can dig up.
    IF U CHECK OUT MIKE NESSON PLAYED WITH NONE OTHER THAN THIN LIZZY IN KILLARNEY AND A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO THERE PIC WAS SHOW IN ARCHIVE SECTION OF KILLARNEY ADVERTISER

No but there is an "Adult Store" next to Gerry the butcher

ah yeah, the lanes of Killarney are getting busier these days that I'm almost forgetting what's down each one now :pac:

Where is the best place to out in Killarney on a Thursday night? Anyone know what bands are playing in town tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

ah the grand would be the best pub tonight

johnnyc wrote: »
    ah the grand would be the best pub tonight

cheers :) Do you know if the Paddys are playing in there tonight? I enjoyed those guys the lastime they were playing

well the Paddy's were playing tonight in the grand! brilliant yet again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Was out wednesdfay night for a relations birthday and got to see Mcsorelys upstairs. I must say its very nice indeed. very chilled and exactly how i like a night out to be.

I went up there lastnight for the first time ... It is quite relaxing alright but just a tad too small though for the number of people that were there. I would go back there again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

Hi all,

I am originally from killarney and brining a gang down on the june bank holiday. none of them have ever been to killarney so was wondering where to bring them both during the day and at night? haven't lived there in 11 years so i'm a bit out of touch! would prefer not to spend the whole weekend in the pub so activities would be good! also any gigs happening that weekend? saw a mention of the paddy's above, are they a regular in the grand? mighty band!

killarney should defiantly have its own sticky...

• Advertisement

Hi

What ages have you transport or are you stuck around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I went up there lastnight for the first time ... It is quite relaxing alright but just a tad too small though for the number of people that were there. I would go back there again :)

You could very well have seen me up there =)

oeb wrote: »
    You could very well have seen me up there =)

:eek: soo close ... yet soo far

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

Hi

What ages have you transport or are you stuck around the town

HI

thanks for reply! we have transport and are aged between 25-30!

toodelies wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am originally from killarney and brining a gang down on the june bank holiday. none of them have ever been to killarney so was wondering where to bring them both during the day and at night? haven't lived there in 11 years so i'm a bit out of touch! would prefer not to spend the whole weekend in the pub so activities would be good! also any gigs happening that weekend? saw a mention of the paddy's above, are they a regular in the grand? mighty band!

I suppose you ca do tha Tourist trip Muckross house The Demense Hire a Bike Ross Castle go Horse Treking OR go out to the Gap of Dunloe have a hike and a few drinks in Kates. Had visitors last year and we went to Inch Beach for Surfing. Hired all the equipment and had a great day

Did you guys see the circus have set up on the site of the old Torc Hotel on the Park Road? I personally think it is an eye-soar there but it sure beats having nothing there but rubble

toodelies wrote: »
    Hi all,

I suppose you ca do tha Tourist trip Muckross house The Demense Hire a Bike Ross Castle go Horse Treking OR go out to the Gap of Dunloe have a hike and a few drinks in Kates. Had visitors last year and we went to Inch Beach for Surfing. Hired all the equipment and had a great day

Hey I agree with Newman10 here with the activities mentioned. Also though not so long ago a gang of us rented a row-boat down by RossCastle and rowed out to one of the islands! Savage fun :D

As for ThePaddy's ... I think they play every second/third week there. They sure are a mighty band with a large playlist that are second to none in th Grand imo

We Should come up with a list of things to do in Killarney.

We all seem to know a little so I will start.

Demense
    Muskross House and Gardens
    Ross Castle
    Killarney House
    Torc Waterfall
    Jaunting Car
    Horse Treking
    Windsurfing (Rossbeigh)
    Surfing (Inch)
    Canoeing (River Laune)
    Outdoor Persuits (Cappanalea)
    Pitch n Putt
    Golf
    Fishing
    Leisure Centre
    Playground
    Hiking
    Gap of Dunloe
    Cinema
    Boat Trips
    Gyms

We Should come up with a list of things to do in Killarney.

We all seem to know a little so I will start.

Demense
    Muskross House and Gardens
    Ross Castle
    Killarney House
    Torc Waterfall
    Jaunting Car
    Horse Treking
    Windsurfing (Rossbeigh)
    Surfing (Inch)
    Canoeing (River Laune)
    Outdoor Persuits (Cappanalea)
    Pitch n Putt
    Golf
    Fishing
    Leisure Centre
    Playground
    Hiking
    Gap of Dunloe
    Cinema
    Boat Trips
    Gyms

along with
    National Park for walking, Jogging, Cycling, Sight-seeing etc
    Open playground for young children by St.Mary's Cathedral
    Buddies indoor play arena for young children on the bypass by Aura complex
    Snooker/Pool table at Mustang Sallys, HolidayInnHotel & Darby O'GillsHotel

numerous bars & restaurants with food&beverages for every palette

gosh I need to think some more on this now ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Did you guys see the circus have set up on the site of the old Torc Hotel on the Park Road? I personally think it is an eye-soar there but it sure beats having nothing there but rubble

I took the young lad last night, he had great fun. His first circus!

I don't think it's too bad there, and it is only temporary.

Advertisement