Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hulu black Friday $1.99 per month for year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

It's amazing the lengths companies will go to, so that you do not give them money, unreal.

PayPal have restricted my account that I setup for the US setup.

If this crap keeps up I can see growth again in pirate downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesieliz

Hi ,
    I have followed the directions here and set up Hulu/PayPal account using VPN.
    I then installed Hulu app on firestick via downloader, again using vpn, but I notice that my firestick remote doesn’t have full functionality on the Hulu app - do I need to download another app to make the remote work better with the app?

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    It's amazing the lengths companies will go to, so that you do not give them money, unreal.

PayPal have restricted my account that I setup for the US setup.

If this crap keeps up I can see growth again in pirate downloads.

TBF most of these companies only have rights to a certain region, so they have to attempt to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Basil3 wrote: »
    TBF most of these companies only have rights to a certain region, so they have to attempt to enforce it.

Don't disagree with that, my problem is when you start geo locking payments, people follow the path of least resistance to dodge boxes, dodge downloads etc.

I just think media companies seem to love trying to control markets down to an art, yet when you've the balance of people want to pay, vs making it impossible to do so, your going to have piracy (v2)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭w4ntedman

jamesieliz wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I have followed the directions here and set up Hulu/PayPal account using VPN.
    I then installed Hulu app on firestick via downloader, again using vpn, but I notice that my firestick remote doesn’t have full functionality on the Hulu app - do I need to download another app to make the remote work better with the app?

The older Hulu app was pretty clunky on android.
    The newer one (a few months) fixed all that.
    I'm using Shield but might be similar for fire stick

Might be worth deleting the Hulu app and try a different source

99c a month this year. Took me most of the day to figure out that I couldonly activate the card on the paypal desktop site rather than on the app (in case anyone is stuck on that step as I was).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm having trouble with the paypal desktop site.

Have an Irish bank card linked which is what I used last time but even after setting up a new account it says I'm not eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Cheers. I managed to sign up. $1/month is a no brainer.

The number of ads doesn't seem to be too intrusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

That's just like me with music streaming services, Spotify, Tidal, Deezer & YouTube Music :-D

• Advertisement

Netflix €4, YouTube €2.30, Prime €0.90, HBO Max €2.30, Disney+ €2.50, HULU €0.90, EPIX €0.90,

Discover+ India €0.25, S Sports + €1.50

My paid stuff just about reaches €15/month. Far less than I ever paid with any TV provider.

Free stuff : Hoopla, Roku Channel, Crackle, Peacock, Pluto TV and UK apps

Basically almost no matter what I want to watch I can find it somewhere using the just watch app

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭andydurnin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Be interested in how you're getting some of them.

Anyone else having problems signing up for the Hulu deal. Got it last year but when I sign up with a new email and use the same payment method through paypal it says I'm not eligible.

How are other people getting it?

Post edited by ThePott on

I used an N26 card with an American PayPal account whilst connected to a US vpn. . I used an Alaskan address to avoid taxes. I used Chrome on my phone set to desktop for all of it including PayPal.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's pretty much what I've done. Tried through the Hulu app on mobile too and tried a different card. Not sure why I can't get it to work.

Is this your first time using that paypal account for Hulu?

Yes, 1st time.

I don't know if it made a difference but I also had location turned off on my phone.

I may also have deleted my cookies history but I can't remember if I did or not when it worked.

Ah okay, maybe it's because I've used the paypal account for Hulu before then. Don't have another way of paying for it so I'd say.

Thanks for the help.

I opened a new paypal account and new virtual revolut card.

You have to approve the card on the paypal desktop site and it should be ok then. You get the code from revolut.

Took me most of the morning to cop on but went through fine afterwards

I was trying to set up a new US Paypal account and it wouldn't let me get past the phone number verification.

Did you have the same problem and if you did how did you get past it? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Can you list out where you’re getting these for these prices please?

It asked for a number so I put a fake one in. I didn't have to verify it though ,I can't remember if never asked or gave the option to skip .

EPIX NOW: I made a mistake with this. It's actually costing € 2.15/month for 6 months. I'm going to get rid of it.

https://www.epixnow.com/offer/epixnow6month

Netflix: Turkey

Prime video: Turkey

Disney+: Irish account shared 3 ways with family

HULU: https://www.hulu.com/welcome

HBO Max: Argentina

YouTube: India

Discovery+: India

S Sports +: Turkey

The Just Watch app is great to search for TV/Movies in whatever country.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justwatch.justwatch

I managed to get past the phone number step but it won't let me add a card now cause it says my account is limited. Running out of options I think.

Thank you for trying to help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Do you need to run a VPN while watching and is content/UI in English? Also, did you need to set up a new account for them?

I only used a VPN for initial sign-up.

I use a Smart DNS service from Getflix for viewing

You don't need either a VPN or smart DNS for Netflix or Prime Video after signing up. Smart DNS is very useful to switch Prime Video regions. (Turkish Prime Video is not geo locked as UK Prime Video is)

If you have never subscribed to them then you will need an account.

The only UI not.in English is S Sports + ( Turkey) but it's easy to navigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

What card did you use for discovery+ India? Tried revolut and n26, no luck.

I set up an Indian Google account and added my Revolut card to it. I then subscribed to Discovery + using that account.

Added card to Google, sign into discovery+ using google, only options are to use code, debit card and upi? What can I do next? Sorry for being such a pain.

Perhaps things have changed but I was able to pay through Google Pay when on my Google Play India account.

• Advertisement

Downloaded the app, won't let people pay using apple pay until 7/12, so that might explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Trying this and its saying "We can't verify your email now" no matter what email I input. I've cleared the cache. Anyone find a way around this?

Edit - got it sorted!

Post edited by Double C on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭feargantae

Sorry for going off topic but is the Discovery+ not the Indian version then with Indian programmes and not the normal GB/IE one? Seems the content is different and doesn't default to IE content without VPN

Yes, that is why I called it Discovery + India.

It has some Indian programming ( all in English) but also a lot of what is on our version.

The majority of the discovery live channels are also there including Eurosport India which carries a lot of the PGA US golf.

It costs about €3.50 a year which is basically free so I included it. The Irish UK version I think is about €6 a month.

You cannot switch to different Discovery plus regions using a VPN as they are all independent services with unique app. For example the app downloaded directly from the firestick app store will not work with Discovery India. You need to sideload a specific Discovery India app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭SteM

I've been unable to find the discovery + India apk. Any chance of a pointer?

I think this is it. To activate you need to install the play store India version on you phone and from within that app you active the TV app.

Discovery Communication India

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/discovery-communication-india/discovery-for-android-tv-android-tv/discovery-for-android-tv-android-tv-2-7-0-release/discovery-for-android-tv-2-7-0-android-apk-download/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I tried the discovery india but found most of the things i watched weren't on the india one e.g. outback truckers etc.

I picked up a UK .IRL sub for 30 a year (including sports) when it was a special before the olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Haz17

I have downloaded the app through Indian Google account but when I go to subscribe euro prices are coming up- where am I going wrong?

In the Indian Google app do you see the prices of Movies in Rupees?

• Advertisement

No in euros

Prices should be in Rupees.

Did you add a payment method to Google Pay in you India account with an Indian address? I find Revolut doesn't seem to care where in the world your address is.

I finally got it working but the price is 82euro a year for India discovery...can I get it cheaper?

😲 I paid Rs. 299 for the year last Feb21. I think this was roughly €3.50 for the year.

The yearly subscription seems to be gone up by 100 rupee

Quick Google result.

Discovery plus is available in two subscription plans of Rs. 199 and Rs. 399. The monthly subscription costs Rs. 199 while the yearly subscription is available for Rs. 399.

If you are paying €82 in India you are renting a house.

I must still be doing something wrong...do you need your VPN on to make payment?it's now saying it's geo restricted??Sorry so many questions

set up a new gmail/google account while you have the india vpn on and make sure address of account is in india

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

Back to Hulu, one tip and one question:

Tip: As I struggled with opening a new PayPal US account, I bought a Hulu Giftcard on Amazon US. Works perfectly.

Question: I installed the Hulu app on my Firestick but it doesn't let me log in. Says the login details are invalid. Any idea why that could be? The details are definitely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

Managed to get discovery plus india for €4.72 for the year, here is how i did it.

1.Use android phone

1. Set vpn to india
    2. Sign out of google on the phone.
    3. Create new gmail account, probably easier to do on computer, make sure new account is Indian.
    4. Sign into google with new gmail on phone
    5. Go to play store
    6. Search discovery plus app and make sure it says discovery communications india in header of app.
    7. Sign into app using google account.
    8. Add revolut card to google account
    9. Pay using google pay.

Mistake I made was not signing out of google on the phone, so when I went to download app I was downloading from UK play store and not Indian play store even though vpn was set to India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Great price, are you finding that it has the same shows as the UK version? I'm on a year for €30, expires June so might take this out.

It appears so, it has Top Gear and a lot of motoring shows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement