Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

groom wrote: »
    Concerning AFT versus AFT Stick - If the prices are somewhat near I'd say the AFT is superior.

The Fire TV now has a working USB port and ethernet. And the remote is much nicer.
    I was searching for Amazon Fire TV yesterday and nothing found. Item Unavailable on Amazon. Then this morning, there it is at £79. I might bite the bullet and sell on my minix x8H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

dodzy wrote: »
    I was searching for Amazon Fire TV yesterday and nothing found. Item Unavailable on Amazon. Then this morning, there it is at £79. I might bite the bullet and sell on my minix x8H.

I think Black Friday is next week. It might get reduced for that. I got it for £49 originally as a Prime offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

How much dodzy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

d31b0y wrote: »
    The Pi 2 is leaps and bounds better than the original Pi for running KODI / OpenElec. The original Pi was rubbish (I have two of them at home still) :)

I have pi2 and fire tv stick. If its just for kodi then I think the fire tv stick is better. Especially as by the time you've got a decent wifi adapter, decent power supply, decent sd card the pi2 is more expensive than the fire tv and with the fire tv stick you get the lovely wireless remote.

RossieMan wrote: »
    How much dodzy?
    Read the post Rossie ;)

£79. So about €110. As Groom says, hold out for a little while. I'm targeting sub-€100 and i'll nab it then. Will have to check in advance if Skype works OK as I've a nice Logitech 920 perched onto of the TV that works superb with the Minix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the box coming from groupon - but the one I bought/linked to earlier came with all the desirable/unmentionale add-ons pre-installed and once I uninstalled some of the crap that I didn't want (and got sportsmania) - it has been a dream!

Coupled with the €10 logitech bargain keyboard that was on here recently, it has been my best purchase in years!

Did you get charged customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Nope. I think declared value was $20 on the slip, had it delivered to Parcel Motel in around 10 days from ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No for you MINIX box. Interested if you're selling.

RossieMan wrote: »
    No for you MINIX box. Interested if you're selling.
    No prob Rossie, i'll let you know.

There is an issue with the Minix & Netflix in that it can't (and is unlikely ever to be able to do) HD due to a basic non-willingness on Netflix's behalf to approve Minix (would no doubt have been no problem if Minix were an American venture). Also some periodic annoying lipsync errors that are well documented around certain forums, irrespective of multiple attempts at a fix through either FW updates or in-setting mods. No problem on the low tier MXQ or similar devices. Not a huge issue for me though as I rarely use n'flix anymore. Just an annoynace really!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Ok - so I am a total technophobe. I am using Kndi on my laptop connected to tv with HD cable (friend installed it on laptop for me)

Just wondering if I get one of these streaming boxes from the OP, can I just plug it in and away I go or will I have to install more stuff on it before I can use it. I generally just use PrimeWire and Genesis on my current setup - a more of a boxset viewer than anything else.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Ok - so I am a total technophobe. I am using Kndi on my laptop connected to tv with HD cable (friend installed it on laptop for me)

Just wondering if I get one of these streaming boxes from the OP, can I just plug it in and away I go or will I have to install more stuff on it before I can use it. I generally just use PrimeWire and Genesis on my current setup - a more of a boxset viewer than anything else.

Thanks

Most boxes require you to download and install Kodi yourself.
    Loads of good tutorials online and if you can learn how to set up the add-ons it makes it easier to make changes down the line.

Seo.michael has good step by step tutorials for Genesis

Thanks

The majority of the boxes you buy online will come with all the "stuff" pre-installed. But as Will says, if not, its a 10 minute youtube session and you'll be away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Thanks

A technophobe who uses Kodi, PrimeWire and Genesis. Impressive. (I've only heard of one of the three)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

A technophobe who uses Kodi, PrimeWire and Genesis. Impressive. (I've only heard of one of the three)

I can only use them because they were set up for me - all I have to do is open Kodi app on the laptop:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Villa05

Thanks

Genisis works a dream on it, Got the box a few weeks ago and was impressed, so have another in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

have to say a bit disappointed with android boxes, found an old laptop and stuck kodi on, like night and day, much better experience, just my 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I think Black Friday is next week. It might get reduced for that. I got it for 49 originally as a Prime offer.

Yep Friday 27th November to be precise.
    Also the following Monday is Cyber Monday.

Hoping to bag a Fire TV myself.

Just what this thread needs. Another smart arse. I've heard of all 3. Now surely that's impressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Just what this thread needs. Another smart arse. I've heard of all 3. Now surely that's impressive?

Not at all. I'd say most technophobes haven't heard of any of those, I wasn't being smart.

stanley1 wrote: »
    have to say a bit disappointed with android boxes, found an old laptop and stuck kodi on, like night and day, much better experience, just my 2 cents worth.

You haven't tried the right ones. Kodi performance is excellent on Amazon devices, RPi2 and my Ouya before that. Some of the advantages they have over an old laptop is that they are extremely low power, can be always on or turn on when the TV is turned on, fitted behind your TV, working remote and the absence of the whirring fan.

• Advertisement

biebiebie wrote: »
    Yep Friday 27th November to be precise.
    Also the following Monday is Cyber Monday.

Hoping to bag a Fire TV myself.
    Was gearing up for same but only 1 usb port ? :(

Need 2.

You haven't tried the right ones. Kodi performance is excellent on Amazon devices, RPi2 and my Ouya before that. Some of the advantages they have over an old laptop is that they are extremely low power, can be always on or turn on when the TV is turned on, fitted behind your TV, working remote and the absence of the whirring fan.

Willing to try again, which amazon device would you recommend, ethernet would be nice.

TIA

Willing to try again, which amazon device would you recommend, ethernet would be nice.

TIA
    Amazon Fire TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just get a windows box. comes preinstalled with windows 8

(just removed the link as just saw the company is no longer allowed on here)

TIA

The bigger, more expensive device (AFTV) is better because of ethernet, usb port, better remote.

But the stick is great as well and it's mega cheap. I think the stick works best if its in the room your router is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Need 2.

You can use a USB hub to connect both a USB drive and other USB devices like mouse keyboard etc. The fire tv will only mount one connected drive though.

Need 2.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone using a Nexus player for Kodi?

How does it compare to the AFT?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

The bigger, more expensive device (AFTV) is better because of ethernet, usb port, better remote.

But the stick is great as well and it's mega cheap. I think the stick works best if its in the room your router is in.

My firestick is upstairs and the the router is downstairs and it works flawlessly. Also its powered from the usb on the tv so its only on when the tv is on and doesnt need to be powered from the wall.

• Advertisement

must fire stick be plugged into usb port on tv ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement