Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2017/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Some early turns @ Okemo Vermont...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Some early turns @ Okemo Vermont...

Looks great. I’m hoping to head over in March.

Looks great. I’m hoping to head over in March.
    Cheers. Was not bad, some good runs and better than usual icy conditions. Mountain was not fully open so a bit pricey @ $100. Worth keeping Mt Snow in mind, they’ve spent some $$$ upgrading their snowmaking... or do both 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Just back from a few days in Val d’Isere which was epic. I’ve never seen so much snow fall in such a short time. The first few days were hard going as visibility was bad but once it cleared up it was excellent. Friday we had about 50cms of fresh powder on pistes and off piste was the best I’ve even seen. If you can get to the alps before Christmas, do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

4 of us going to La Plagne 1st week in Feb. Can't wait, it looks amazing.
    2 of us are switching from snowboarding to skiiing too. We've progressed as far as we can, and for me as far as I want to without getting more hurt.
    Hopefully it's a simple transition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mulbot

evil_seed wrote: »
    4 of us going to La Plagne 1st week in Feb. Can't wait, it looks amazing.
    2 of us are switching from snowboarding to skiiing too. We've progressed as far as we can, and for me as far as I want to without getting more hurt.
    Hopefully it's a simple transition

Going there this year ourselves,last week Jan,a few skiers and a couple of snowboarders-have had good reports about it so hopefully we'll have a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Dear mother of God, the conditions in the Alps today, and barely anyone on the slopes :(

https://st-martin-belleville.com/webcams/

Indeed. Note to self... revisit buying Lotto tickets again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Cannot wait 4 days until we arrive in Mayerphofen for a week.. then 10 days ischgl in March!

The snow is looking mighty fine this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I don’t ski myself but just back from 2 days in Chamonix and there is so much snow! Around 120cm apparently. Not all the runs were open, but i think that was because maintenance on the lifts was delayed due to the snow and also with all the snow they’ve had in the past week the trails aren’t ready. We saw then preparing the black runs on Brevent today...looks amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭blue note

Less than 3 weeks to go now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mulbot

blue note wrote: »

U going the weekend 20/21?

mulbot wrote:
    U going the weekend 20/21?

Yep. 10 of us heading to zell am see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

4 days to go now bag packed and it looks good on the Web can

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Yep. 10 of us heading to zell am see.

Check out www.raftingcenter.com, info@raftingcenter.com - they rent ski bikes for a day or half day (€58 each for the full day). My group did this two years ago and had a blast on these things - I think we are even featured in the shots on their fb page. We're going to Zell again this year and are booked in for the ski bikes again on the Weds.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

dzer2 wrote: »
    Which resort we are heading that day as well

Söll, see you Saturday lol

dogsears wrote: »
    Check out www.raftingcenter.com, info@raftingcenter.com - they rent ski bikes for a day or half day (€58 each for the full day). My group did this two years ago and had a blast on these things - I think we are even featured in the shots on their fb page. We're going to Zell again this year and are booked in for the ski bikes again on the Weds.

3 of us are in lessons so will only have 1 day skiing with the rest of the gang, so I might give it a miss, but I'll say it to the rest of the group. It looks fun! Cheers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

DIY trip Alp d'Huez booked for mid Feb and lining up Austria for Start of March

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭trashcan

Heading to Westendorf on the 13th. Conditions look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Soooo close to booking. just need my boss to return from sick leave to approve holidays request

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Some insane dumps of snow on the French alps from looking at Facebook. Roads and lifts closed, avalanche risk of 5. Next week could be an incredibly epic week to be there, but don't think you'd get much skiing done there right now!

People had to be rope rescued out of bubbles in Kitzbühel yesterday. Lift got shutdown after wind blue a bubble so hard it jammed in the mid-station

Timmaay wrote: »
    Some insane dumps of snow on the French alps from looking at Facebook. Roads and lifts closed, avalanche risk of 5. Next week could be an incredibly epic week to be there, but don't think you'd get much skiing done there right now!

There was tonnes of rain at resort level in a lot of places as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Timmaay wrote: »

We're flying to Les Arcs on Saturday.. as long as our flights don't get disrupted, I have high hopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a short (3-4 day) skiing break for 2 at the start of march. Intermediate standard. Happy with DIY or package....

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a short (3-4 day) skiing break for 2 at the start of march. Intermediate standard. Happy with DIY or package....

Fly Dub Munich rent a car and go to any of the Tyrolean, Austrian resorts, all 1.5-2.5 hours drive. Did that couple of years ago to Soll and we were on the slopes by lunch time first day and skied on the last day before the flight.

Possibly cheaper option - Belfast to Lyon you can hit Deux Alp and Alp d'Huez, within a couple of hours drive. L2A has glacier and Alp d'Huez has altitude.

We did L2A DIY last winter for a week doing Alp d'Huez this time same route:
    Belfast - Lyon with Easyjet
    Rentalscaers.com for car
    Booking.com or Airbnb for the accommodation

Going to DIY Austria that first week in March so already eyeing up Munich flights with Ryanair.

For 3-4 days the big thing for me was to get out on an early flight and back on a late one, have everything sorted so you can just get straight out on the slopes. Paid a bit extra to get early flights and rent skis at the main lift station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi,

If DIY , Bergamo is hard to beat, 2 flights a day , 7 days a week

Why
    first flight land at 10am
    you can be skiing at lunchtime

fly home, flight at 2130, you can ski on last day

Small resorts one hour away
    bigger ones 2 - 3 hours

HB in Italy usually 60e per night

If a short stay, smaller might suit : Mademiso, Folgaria, Foppolo
    bigger : passo Tonale , Madonna etc

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I’m off to Cham on Monday morning. It’s been very stormy the past few days. Lots of lifts closed. Plenty of snow too though . I’ll be out again in February so if it’s bad I’ll get another crack at it in a few weeks.

Speaking of stormy weather , this was yesterday in Silvretta Montafon ski resort in Austria. I think I’d be taking my chances and jumping the 3 or 4 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I’m off to Cham on Monday morning. It’s been very stormy the past few days. Lots of lifts closed. Plenty of snow too though . I’ll be out again in February so if it’s bad I’ll get another crack at it in a few weeks.

Speaking of stormy weather , this was yesterday in Silvretta Montafon ski resort in Austria. I think I’d be taking my chances and jumping the 3 or 4 meters.

I was just watching that on the Indo's website, holy s*** that would be scary. "They were never in danger" the hell they weren't! If the bars were between their legs the would have been relatively secure, but if they weren't! Imagine banging around inside that too!

Snow Report said a lot of lifts in Chamonix we currently closed, best of luck, it looks nice this morning https://youtu.be/3DcUMzwQUFk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Why oh why did I bitch outa booking a random trip to VT in a week's time ha!

Advertisement