Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski season 2017/2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

blue note wrote: »
    It would be ironic if you couldn't go skiing because of a snowfall here. Not the funny kind of irony though.

Just what I've been thinking. Now that's irony, Alanis Morrissette.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

trashcan wrote: »
    Due to fly to Salzburg on Saturday( second trip this year, yay). Just praying that the flight, and travel to the airport are ok.

In the same boat here, due to fly to Munich at 9am sat...

Rew wrote: »

I feel your pain. My flight isn't until early afternoon, so not as bad as you. Have everything crossed that it works out ok. Best of luck:o

Latest info
    Dublin Airport has been operational from 5.20 this morning following snow and ice clearance.

However there were significant cancellations due to the impact of adverse weather here and also at a number of airports in Britain and continental Europe.

Aer Lingus has indicated that it will to suspend its flight operations at Dublin Airport from 15.00 today due to the bad weather. It plans to resume flight operations on Saturday morning.

Ryanair has said it will suspend flight operations to and from Dublin Airport by 16.00 today. It plans to resume operations on Saturday morning.

All other airlines are suspending operations from about 15.00 today.

Given the Red Weather Alert for later today and tomorrow, it is unlikely that other airlines will operate to or from Dublin Airport on Friday and they are likely to resume operations on Saturday morning.

We will have snow crews working today and tomorrow to continue to clear the runway, taxiways, aircraft parking stands and apron areas for our airline customers’ planned resumption of services on Saturday morning.

Please contact your airline for the latest information in relation to the status of you flight.

We will continue to update passengers via Facebook, Twitter and our website.

We apologise for the inconvenience that the adverse weather has caused to passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Due to fly to Salzburg on Saturday( second trip this year, yay). Just praying that the flight, and travel to the airport are ok.

Same boat! Pretty confident that everything will be fine, but hard not to be a little nervous!

• Advertisement

Getting more nervous by the minute here. Hasn't stoped snowing all day, and now I see the red weather warning is extended until 9am tomorrow. Yikes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Getting more nervous by the minute here. Hasn't stoped snowing all day, and now I see the red weather warning is extended until 9am tomorrow. Yikes :eek:

Yes very frustrating.

Even getting to the airport at the point is going to be stressful!

Fingers and toes crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm hoping people not posting here is because they're on flights / transfers / collecting their gear / guzzling gluwein!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I've landed in Grenoble :)

I hope everyone else got where they were going.

Happy skiing.

Getting to the airport was a nightmare but after a 3h delay we made it to Munich!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I see the coppers ski trip was cancelled with a good few in Dublin airport!!!

Booked a week in Arinsal for myself and the wife, Fly out the 18th, It cant come quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks, where would people recommend for late March in Europe? Am not an expert by any means so if it's on a high flat'ish glacier I don't mind one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Completely against the odds made it to val thorens this week! For anyone who thinks it's horribly expensive, 11e for a 70cl bottle of rum in the supermarket there, I certainly won't be breaking the bank keeping the booze flowing the week! What a ski resort also, perfect conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Had a great few days, and a few not so great days in Sauze D'oulx last week.
    Flight home from Milan on Friday was cancelled, managed to secure one from Geneva for Saturday. It would have been tomorrow by the time we'd gotten one home from Milan.

Stressful couple of days.. Excellent ski location though - I'd highly recommend it. Endless wide open pistes. Mostly reds, but Italian reds are a lot easier than other reds. Even the blacks seemed easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Rew wrote: »

Was on the thursday morning Ryanair flight to munich. Had a 3 hour delay also but was just thankful to get off the ground. Was touch and go for a while.

Stayed in Zell am See for a few days, really enjoyed the resort, nice picturesque town and decent sized mountain to keep you entertained for 3 days. Not as wild as Mayrhofen but still decent apres to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ischgl tomorrow 10 nights.. woooo hooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

cocker5 wrote: »
    Ischgl tomorrow 10 nights.. woooo hooooooo

If you've not been, go to the Schatzi bar for apres ski

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks, where would people recommend for late March in Europe? Am not an expert by any means so if it's on a high flat'ish glacier I don't mind one bit.

Ischgl, 3 valleys, tignes, amongst others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Endless wide open pistes. Mostly reds, but Italian reds are a lot easier than other reds. Even the blacks seemed easier.

I wonder if that's standard for all Italian resorts, I took a day trip from Chamonix to Courmayeur (sp?) once, and the difference between the blacks in both resorts couldn't have been more remarkable.

A Courmayeur black was more like a medium Chamonix red.

The only other Italian resort I've been to was Cervinia, but that was a long time ago, and I wouldn't have been on blacks.

I think in general resorts like to have a few blacks on their maps, irrespective of whether terrain really warrants it. It gives the impression of availability of some hard terrain which meets the demand of a certain demographic (me!).

I agree that courmayeur didn't have much by way of steeps. Cervinia also. But I think that's reflective of the resorts rather than the country. Arrabba (or something) in the dolomites has superb steep blacks for instance.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    I think in general resorts like to have a few blacks on their maps, irrespective of whether terrain really warrants it.

Same with a green/blue that leads back to the town.

cormee wrote: »
    Same with a green/blue that leads back to the town.

Yeah, appeals to the wife's demographic!

Yeah, appeals to the wife's demographic!

I hear ya! :D

you been out yet this year cormee? More than once I suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Definitely the best week of skiing I've ever had in the 3V, decent bit of fresh snow over the week, but thankfully only 2 half days off poor visibility, huge huge huge area to ski in, you would need 3 wks to explore it all (I made a reasonable attempt in a week, clocking up 100km most days on the strava). I never tend to go on holidays to the same location more than once but I can certainly see myself going back to the 3V.

One of my best days on skis involved headphones (mylo's 2006 essential mix) and getting off the leash of my two beginner mates in the 3vs. If you're into mainlining piste after piste after piste there is nothing like it.

you been out yet this year cormee? More than once I suspect?

Indeed I have. Went to Chamonix in January, but the conditions were awful, the only place open was Les Houches, which was fine, but not what I was expecting.

Going to Engelberg in early April, so the excitement is starting to build up! :D

blue note wrote: »
    I'm hoping people not posting here is because they're on flights / transfers / collecting their gear / guzzling gluwein!

Managed to get out, albeit with a 5 hour delay, didn't reach the resort until 12.30am. However, I'd have bitten your hand off for that last Friday !

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Indeed I have. Went to Chamonix in January, but the conditions were awful, the only place open was Les Houches, which was fine, but not what I was expecting.

Going to Engelberg in early April, so the excitement is starting to build up! :D

class spot, you'll love it. has it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I wonder if that's standard for all Italian resorts, I took a day trip from Chamonix to Courmayeur (sp?) once, and the difference between the blacks in both resorts couldn't have been more remarkable.

A Courmayeur black was more like a medium Chamonix red.

The only other Italian resort I've been to was Cervinia, but that was a long time ago, and I wouldn't have been on blacks.

Try Champoluc, some seriously tough slopes. Plenty of steep and rolling red runs.

Advertisement